• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

6 to 8 new tp52 are expected to be build for 2018 season, as well as not less than 3 AC teams will race on the 52 super series

wonder if any designer will break status quo, or again only Botin and Vrolijk design 

anyone with clue, gossip or tiny hint for the new boats ?

• Like 1

I think it's safe to guess:

azzura - vrojlik

quantum - botin

ran - ???

bella Mente - botin. New team

platoon - botin

team New Zealand - wild card. New team

8 minutes ago, A-NU-START said:

azzura - vrojlik

quantum - botin

ran - ???

platoon - botin

Ran is out, going 40' sailing I think, Zennstrom was giving his goodbye's at the last regatta. I think there might be some new designers in the mix as the AC related teams sign-up their talent.

Brazilian owned Phoenix, American owned Phoenix, or German owned Phoenix? They're all the same boat. 

Thought Platoon was vrojlick

3 hours ago, MKF said:

Thought Platoon was vrojlick

They are, but if your stablemates (quantum) are Botin and you can latch onto some of that sweet sweet AC development technology why wouldn't you switch? 

On 11/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, A-NU-START said:

azzura - vrojlik

quantum - botin

ran - ???

platoon - botin

talking about botin - this is their latest design , altho 40 ft, seems 2018 tp52 will be very similar  :

http://www.botinpartners.com/project.php?id=76

same time carkeek designs are winners last 2 years in FAST40+ Series, and was thinking if someone consider them as alternative to botin/vrolijk 

4 minutes ago, zlobko said:

talking about botin - this is their latest design , altho 40 ft, seems 2018 tp52 will be very similar  :

http://www.botinpartners.com/project.php?id=76

same time carkeek designs are winners last 2 years in FAST40+ Series, and was thinking if someone consider them as alternative to botin/vrolijk 

Problem with that design is that the bow does not fit the 52 class rule...

And last designer to win a race in the 52 Super Series that wasn't from Botin or JV was actually Reichel-Pugh. 

When building new boats for the 2015 rule, it showed that the yard has to have experience as well to ensure you're bang on target. Going to JV or Botin and having your boat built by King (VLC), Longitud Cero or Persico will mean you'll win some races and your boat will be competitive. Going RP, Mills, Farr or Carkeek and build the boat elsewhere does not mean you won't be competitive just that chances are you're off the pace in this highly developed fleet.

• Like 1

Carkeek will always be one step behind Botin. For reasons that if you knew them would be obvious. 

Well the Azzura is going to Australia I bet. Quantum probably to stick around as an AC development boat. Then who knows about the rest. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, zlobko said:

Well said , and agree - can add also Juan K to the list with his non orthodox Origin design :).

But I mention Carkeek, as Platoon already have winning experience with them :
http://www.carkeekdesignpartners.com/c47-platoon-wins-orc-overall-keil-week-2014/

BAR already have Gladiator platform, so interesting to see designs for :
Paprec
Provezza
Sled
ETNZ

I think if other designers start working more on the rule then they will get up to speed and produce fast boats. They already have the Botin and JV's to study what has been working. I would think at this stage most know which corner of the box is fast, small tweaks to fit in a range of expected conditions.

On 4.11.2017 г. at 2:48 PM, A-NU-START said:

azzura - vrojlik   Botin

quantum - botin

ran - ???

platoon - botin

Azura boat is Botin and build by King Marine :

King Marine Announces the construction of two new TP52

King Marine will build two brand new TP52 for the 2018 seasson. We appreciate the trust of Azzurra and Onda teams who has chosen once again our boat yard. 
The two sister ships will be designed by Botin Partners and already under construction at Valencia.

When I read Dean Barker was going to be driving Quantum Racing, I assumed he would drive the old boat while the NYYC boys would get the new boat.

MS

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, A-NU-START said:

Onda?

quantum was usually longitud cero

Onda is the new Brazilian boat, owner formerly had Phoenix. 

New Q Racing to be built in the U.S.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

When I read Dean Barker was going to be driving Quantum Racing, I assumed he would drive the old boat while the NYYC boys would get the new boat.

MS

Does this mean Ed B. will sail with BAR/Gladiator as far as the AC goes?

so far 2018 :

Quanum - Botin desigh - building by Composite Buiilders Michigan
Platoon - Vrolijk design
Provesa - Vrolijk design 
Azzura - Botin design - building King Marine
Onda(Phonenix) - Botin design - building King Marine

Seahorse magazine december 2017 say  seven Botin boats :

Alegre - Botin - building Longitud Cero
Azzura - Botin design - building King Marine
Luna Rosa - Botin design - building Persico

Onda - Botin - building - bulding King Marine
Phonenix - Botin design - building Persico
Quanum - Botin desigh - building by Composite Buiilders Michigan
Sled - Botin - building Core Composites 

Platoon - Vrolijk design - building Premier

Provesa - Vrolijk design - building Persico

Gladiator Botin crop 2016 

so far no info for ETNZ, Sorcha, Ran, Paprec

Edited by zlobko
correction

^^^^^   they should just sail the entire AC series in the TP52 class boats.  Clearly a durable class long-term,  not every boat needs to "fly" and for sure more trickle-down for the rest of us conventional sailors all 'round the world.

This new swiss-army knife looking AC contraption is bizarre.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, 1sailor said:

^^^^^   they should just sail the entire AC series in the TP52 class boats.  Clearly a durable class long-term,  not every boat needs to "fly" and for sure more trickle-down for the rest of us conventional sailors all 'round the world.

I begged for this over the last two Cup series since 2010...

They are too hooked on this foiling craze.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:46 AM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

RAN are out of the TP52's and moving to the Fast40+ class.

What sort of Fast40+ have they bought? That new Botin??

Don't know if that's their new boat, all I heard from 1 of the crew before he left for the last 52 regatta for the season was they were out of the 52s and into the Fast40s next season.

14 hours ago, grindit said:

What sort of Fast40+ have they bought? That new Botin??

Carkeek.

doing four 3-day events in the UK (and 1 week-long) + 1 overseas (One Ton Cup in Holland) is a lot less travelling than six 10-day events all across the Med as well as the obvious difference in cost (with the pro-am rules in place within the class for instance, as well as the limit on sails).

All-in-all it should be pretty darn good bang for the buck.

none of the in-build Botins are coming to the UK AFAIK

On 11/27/2017 at 8:08 AM, 1sailor said:

I really thought if they went to monohulls it would be a 70ish foot TP52. I agree with you the new idea is just stupid.