• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
nacradriver

Daylight Savings v. Standard Time

Recommended Posts

Why are we still doing the semiannual ritual of moving time back and forth that we refer to as daylight saving time?

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tradition

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only government would cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom  of the blanket and tell you they made a longer blanket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daylight Savings Time is for the benefit of the commercial interests. People shop when it is light out.  It is just for the benefit of the merchants and corporations.

It sucks, hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're talking about killing it here.

Permanent DST would be my choice - I hate it getting dark before dinnertime.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They're talking about killing it here.

Permanent DST would be my choice - I hate it getting dark before dinnertime.

I agree, 

We should stop switching back and forth. It raises hell on pets waiting for dinner. I can't believe Calif liberals have not gone after this :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.....I'm worried that like every single day, my dog will bust my ass out of the rack at what she thinks is 0600 but it'll actually be 0500 on the clock. She is unrelenting about her morning walk...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ropetrick said:

Daylight Savings Time is for the benefit of the commercial interests. People shop when it is light out.  It is just for the benefit of the merchants and corporations.

It sucks, hard.

I was told in the past, that it was for safety of school kids, for daylight in the morning, for winter months transport to school???

It can't be for more daylight shopping, since most shopping is after work, which is now dark, one hour earlier???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They're talking about killing it here.

Permanent DST would be my choice - I hate it getting dark before dinnertime.

as i suffer (greatly) from Seasonal Affective Disorder  tomorrow will begin the season of suck................I go into hibernation and it sucks............I hate everyone and everything until March...............so everybody needs to stay the fuck away from me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

tradition

Sadly I believe this is the right of it, & as far as the old arguments for maintaining it go, complete horseshit, even the commerce angle lacks credibility, anyone ever here of this new-fangled internet thing? If I had my choice it would stay with ST, my entire working life has been construction & I have been battling insomnia the entire time, going back to DLST every spring is 10 kinds of fresh HELL. My jobs always start early because the nincompoops I work with will trample women & children to beat traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dacapo said:

as i suffer (greatly) from Seasonal Affective Disorder  tomorrow will begin the season of suck................I go into hibernation and it sucks............I hate everyone and everything until March...............so everybody needs to stay the fuck away from me ;)

Sorry for you mate!    Can you talk to a therapist or something?  I detest the snow, ice and cold weather, but I just kind soldier on and deal with it.  It helps if you have an AWD vehicle with proper tires, if you need to be able to get around regardless of the New England nasties.   I will be swapping the WRX stock tires for very aggressive ice and snows, on black steelies very soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree 100%   Lets get rid of this silly tradition.

And while we are at it, can we get on over to the metric system?    Why not do both at once?

RHD or LHD vehicles...  just pick one!  I really don't care what side.

What else can we fix while we are at it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 90 somethings..... Dubya decided to change DST and etc. by 2 hours instead of one... The idea was that people would use less electricity lighting their houses during peak hours or something.

 Well....... Go figure that someone brings up the fact that there's not going to be 2 more hours of daylight, it's just going to be at the beginning of the day, not the end.... And the 60 y/o bleach blond bimbo bartender at the place I used to go to, got all indignant, and said (I'm not kidding) "No. There will be 2 more hours of daylight now!"

 When asked how this could happen, when daylight is dictated by the tilt of the earth's axis in relation to the sun..... She replied "Because President Bush made it a law!".....

 I'm betting she voted for Trump too.....:rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IStream said:

Was she hot?

At that point, it didn't matter. There are no bounds to stupidity, keep as far away as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

This does not apply to redheads, who have their own gravitational fields.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Back in the 90 somethings..... Dubya decided to change DST and etc. by 2 hours instead of one...

George W Bush became  president in 2001.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not take a winter month and put it in the summer when the weather is better? Would the winter sports people object?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daddle said:

Why not take a winter month and put it in the summer when the weather is better? Would the winter sports people object?

Why not subtract a winter month entirely and replace it with a summer month?

 

Fuck the snow badgers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slap said:

George W Bush became  president in 2001.

That was after he changed DST.

See? It worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have it in Western Australia.  Governments since the 70's have tried to bring it in but been voted down everytime, for which I'm grateful because i like being getting up for an early morning ride before breakfast and it's light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

We don't have it in Western Australia.  Governments since the 70's have tried to bring it in but been voted down everytime, for which I'm grateful because i like being getting up for an early morning ride before breakfast and it's light.

How can anyone not appreciate that extra hour to hit the beach after work when it's 36 degrees is beyond me..I love daylight savings..and obviously most victorians do..for obvious reasons :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

How can anyone not appreciate that extra hour to hit the beach after work when it's 36 degrees is beyond me..I love daylight savings..and obviously most victorians do..for obvious reasons :D

Bwahahaha...how many times does it hit 36 in Melbourne? You talking about those things you call beaches on Port Phillip Bay? :D:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, albanyguy said:

Bwahahaha...how many times does it hit 36 in Melbourne? You talking about those things you beaches on Port Phillip Bay :D:P

perzactly :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

We don't have it in Western Australia.  Governments since the 70's have tried to bring it in but been voted down everytime, for which I'm grateful because i like being getting up for an early morning ride before breakfast and it's light.

44 days till I leave Perth and head to Melbourne.. I am looking forward to having darker mornings again

Bring on daylight savings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rushman said:

44 days till I leave Perth and head to Melbourne.. I am looking forward to having darker mornings again

Bring on daylight savings!

bring your thermals..It's november and I've got the heating on :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

bring your thermals..It's november and I've got the heating on :(

I see Cup day is going to be 13C, the ambos will need lots of blankets for the drunk fillies at Flemington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dacapo said:

as i suffer (greatly) from Seasonal Affective Disorder  tomorrow will begin the season of suck................I go into hibernation and it sucks............I hate everyone and everything until March...............so everybody needs to stay the fuck away from me ;)

 

A big "me too" here.  I try to tell myself  " Self,  you stocked up all that daylight in June, so you can just harden the fuck up and use that supply" but it hasn't worked yet.  For me the problem is compounded to going from working 90% outside to 90% inside, and a good portion of that is in a cold, dark shed filled with jackstands to dodge and jackstand chains to run into.  The bullshit light therapy was (for me) exactly that, and I felt stupid doing it, which only made the depression worse.  I finally had to go the medication route, which literally saved my life but I'm still Mr Crankypants when it comes to this crap of flopping back and forth, and if you think I'm pissed off, wait for the dogs' reaction when dinner is an hour late tonight.

Forced to make a choice, I'd take EST yearround.  I don't really need daylight until 9 PM in July, and I would dig a 4 AM sunrise when the rest of the world is in bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rushman said:

44 days till I leave Perth and head to Melbourne.. I am looking forward to having darker mornings again

Bring on daylight savings!

The west coast has 20 minutes of natural daylight savings anyway so no need for another hour.

in addition it's bloody hot and on those days when it's bloody hot the sea breeze doesn't really get going until after 3 pm. Therefore when school is on, especially in February and daylight savings is on the kids are leaving school in the heat of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Rushman said:

I see Cup day is going to be 13C, the ambos will need lots of blankets for the drunk fillies at Flemington

Bugger. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

The west coast has 20 minutes of natural daylight savings anyway so no need for another hour.

in addition it's bloody hot and on those days when it's bloody hot the sea breeze doesn't really get going until after 3 pm. Therefore when school is on, especially in February and daylight savings is on the kids are leaving school in the heat of the day. 

From what I have noticed is that the kiddies are being picked up in air conditioned comfort.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IStream said:

Was she hot?

Probably 35-40 years ago. She still had bodacious ta tas at 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nettles said:

 

A big "me too" here.  I try to tell myself  " Self,  you stocked up all that daylight in June, so you can just harden the fuck up and use that supply" but it hasn't worked yet.  For me the problem is compounded to going from working 90% outside to 90% inside, and a good portion of that is in a cold, dark shed filled with jackstands to dodge and jackstand chains to run into.  The bullshit light therapy was (for me) exactly that, and I felt stupid doing it, which only made the depression worse.  I finally had to go the medication route, which literally saved my life but I'm still Mr Crankypants when it comes to this crap of flopping back and forth, and if you think I'm pissed off, wait for the dogs' reaction when dinner is an hour late tonight.

Forced to make a choice, I'd take EST yearround.  I don't really need daylight until 9 PM in July, and I would dig a 4 AM sunrise when the rest of the world is in bed.

I think you "SAD" guys suffer from too much blood in your alcohol level!!  Just drink through it, mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, madohe said:

Put me in the all year Daylight Saving Time camp.

Put me in the anywhere closer than 11 degrees to the equator camp. I can handle 6 minutes more or less.

The long dark New England winters (Essentially from September to mid May) sucked bad enough that I had to leave after 50 some years. Even a month long booster shot of Caribbean sun in February was starting to be barely enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So..... now that it's happened once again - is anybody out there still alive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Sorry for you mate!    Can you talk to a therapist or something?  I detest the snow, ice and cold weather, but I just kind soldier on and deal with it.  It helps if you have an AWD vehicle with proper tires, if you need to be able to get around regardless of the New England nasties.   I will be swapping the WRX stock tires for very aggressive ice and snows, on black steelies very soon...

In SoCal. I’m going to roll up my car window...

 

 

Half way!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Windward said:

RHD or LHD vehicles...  just pick one!  I really don't care what side.

andretti-red-Mclaren-F1.jpg

Now I can drive on either side, or up the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did TEXAS just dump DST ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

So..... now that it's happened once again - is anybody out there still alive?

fuck off   ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anywhere below N34 degrees needs to stay on DST and the little fucks can still go to skool in the light 

ST is just annoying, and evening rush hour in the dark is deadly (enough w/o rain)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4:45pm and it's dark.  It has already been a long winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love sunsets at 22:00 in springtime/early summer, it means I can go sailing after work. What I don't get is why some people are so intense about all this. HTFUFFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's daylight saving time dammit! Not savings.

See, since most everyone gets it wrong is just proof that it should be abolished. The only purpose it serves is as a reminder to change the batteries in my smoke detectors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And even then, only half the time. Besides, don't all the smoke detectors now beep at 3:00am for about a year when their batteries need to be changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

those of you who like ST because of the change

you likely will like this too

New Fashion For Men: Crochet Shorts Made From Recycled Vintage Blankets

 

Crochet’s not just for scarves and sweaters anymore. Schuyler Ellers, who runs the Lord von Schmitt Etsy shop, creates dazzlingly colorful patterned crochet shorts out of recycled materials that are sure to please both the wearer and their stunned beholders (man or woman).

Ellers embraces every style out there, from form-fitting booty shorts to extravagant bell-bottom pants. Most of these fabulous pieces are made of recycled vintage crochet afghans; according to Ellers’ shop, “Afghan blankets are original pieces of folk art, hand made by artisans across America since the 1960’s and well before. With scissors and a sewing machine I transform vintage crochets into wearable sculpture!

If you’re extra-funky (or extra brave), then check out Ellers’ Etsy shop to see if he’s got something that jives with you. And read on for some comments from his interview with Bored Panda!

More info: Etsy (h/t: neatorama)

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-1

When I first learned to knit in Barcelona, Spain, I wanted to create something different from what I saw as ‘typical’ knit or crochet,” Schuyler Ellers told Bored Panda. (Available at: Etsy)

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-3

After knitting for hours every day for several years, I eventually flashed on the idea of using afghans as a pre-made crochet textile. Recycling vintage crochets allowed me to create crochet garments with a speed which I had never imagined. It was like I jumped a level in a video game

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-2

There are capris and pants, too:

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-7

I get orders for all kinds of sizes, from seemingly remote parts of the country and planet!! All I can say is crochet is universal, and anyone can rock a pair of these at any time. I wear them to sleep, and I also wear them to parties” (Available at: Etsy)

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-9

Nearly all afghans can be recycled but of course, some do work better than others. Densely crocheted afghans in bright color schemes, southwest designs, stripes and zig zags make the best shorts!

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-5

I have never crocheted shorts myself, nor have I ever made an afghan. I prefer to recycle an existing crochet than to start from scratch. That way the garments are affordable and eco-friendly

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-4

crochet-shorts-schuyler-ellers-lord-von-schmitt-6

These shorts are available on Etsy

Thank you, Schuyler Ellers, for talking to Bored Panda about your work!

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our top stories.

 
 

 

 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, austin1972 said:

It's daylight saving time dammit! Not savings.

See, since most everyone gets it wrong is just proof that it should be abolished. The only purpose it serves is as a reminder to change the batteries in my smoke detectors.

You 'Mericans can use the "s" that Austin just saved and add it to math to make the correct word, maths. ;-))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DtM said:

You 'Mericans can use the "s" that Austin just saved and add it to math to make the correct word, maths. ;-))

If wase a vowelle we coude dropshippe to childen of Pollande.                                                  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Put me in the anywhere closer than 11 degrees to the equator camp. I can handle 6 minutes more or less.

I took this oath in '84 and have stuck to it. 12 degrees to be truthful. N or S doesn't matter. it's the number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, silent bob said:

In SoCal. I’m going to roll up my car window...

 

 

Half way!

 

Your profile says New Jersey????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

those of you who like ST because of the change

you likely will like this too

New Fashion For Men: Crochet Shorts Made From Recycled Vintage Blanket

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our top stories.

Please don't ever do this again... at least not on a Monday morning..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seeing a Correlation ?? 

It's Worse than anyone will admit

BAN Standard Time NOW, End the Violence !!!

(even the Mods kant move Just a post to PA ...... I bet B) )

 

 

Daylight saving time 2017 in Texas began at 2:00 AM on

Sunday, 
March 12

and ended at 2:00 AM on

Sunday, 
November 5
All times are in Central Time.
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Ya'all need to travel more.  Crossing time zones is regular for me, switching clocks twice a year ain't nuttin!

If you carried 12 clocks with you and had to reset all of them every time you changed time zones I suspect you would change your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Ya'all need to travel more.  Crossing time zones is regular for me, switching clocks twice a year ain't nuttin!

I use to keep my watch on GMT so I didn't have to change with each new landing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can never remember what the damn offset from GMT is... i just tell the briefer local time and make them do the math. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this