• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

Voltage regulator blues

3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Thanks... Christmas shopping is done!

And Left8 did you get this thing running yet?

Been busy with the PV install, and a couple of other little things like trying to sell a house full of furniture that everyone wants, but no one wants to pay for....

Good news is the county inspector signed off on the PV installation, now I just need the power co. to inspect it, sign off on it, and throw the switch....... Which they don't want to do, because I'll be generating something like 8-10 times what I use each month..... They were all for it when it was net zero, now they're balking.....

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Been busy with the PV install, and a couple of other little things like trying to sell a house full of furniture that everyone wants, but no one wants to pay for....

Good news is the county inspector signed off on the PV installation, now I just need the power co. to inspect it, sign off on it, and throw the switch....... Which they don't want to do, because I'll be generating something like 8-10 times what I use each month..... They were all for it when it was net zero, now they're balking.....

Bastards!!!

43 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Bastards!!!

Welcome to the sunshine state.

"DUKE energy doesn't work for free dude"............ (What one lineman told me during the hurricane clean up)

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

What do you mean by balking? You're somewhere north of 50 kW? That's still a relatively small amount of grid power, are they concerned about that much power coming off of your array, or do you sense they just don't want to pay you for it? Because if it's the latter, they'll sell that power for more than they paid you to make it, I'm pretty sure that they want that power, unless your state has some weird net-metering rules.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

What do you mean by balking? You're somewhere north of 50 kW? That's still a relatively small amount of grid power, are they concerned about that much power coming off of your array, or do you sense they just don't want to pay you for it? Because if it's the latter, they'll sell that power for more than they paid you to make it, I'm pretty sure that they want that power, unless your state has some weird net-metering rules.

They buy it at below wholesale (What they buy from other suppliers like Seminole, and Duke), and sell it at retail. They just don't want tp pay out. At first they claimed that they were a "Pay back" company, meaning I'd get a check every month for anything I produced over what I used..... When they found out how much that might be, they started saying that I would be "paid back" in energy credits towards my next bill. When I showed them the wording on their website, and the email I had from their rep, they hemmed and hawed and said that they didn't actually pay back, I'd be getting that pay back from Seminole, and I'd have to arrange that through them, after I was tied in to the grid.....

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

They buy it at below wholesale (What they buy from other suppliers like Seminole, and Duke), and sell it at retail. They just don't want tp pay out. At first they claimed that they were a "Pay back" company, meaning I'd get a check every month for anything I produced over what I used..... When they found out how much that might be, they started saying that I would be "paid back" in energy credits towards my next bill. When I showed them the wording on their website, and the email I had from their rep, they hemmed and hawed and said that they didn't actually pay back, I'd be getting that pay back from Seminole, and I'd have to arrange that through them, after I was tied in to the grid.....

Who said they would pay you back? The grid operator or some kind of residential solar supplier?

I thought that it's usually the grid operator who pays back once you have a sufficient running balance over your usage.

It sounds like you made a major install if you're at 8x over your average usage. We have 6 kW on our roof and pretty much use it all and then some when averaged over the year.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:57 AM, mikewof said:

I got the '75 Spider loaded and back home, but moving 1700 lbs. of dead weight isn't easy, even getting it off the carrier is a pita. Hopefully that won't take too long with the mass of one of my other vehicles and a come-along. Then pull it uphill into my garage into the third bay, tell the wife a lie that it won't be there too long, and then use Chef Boothie's recipe for bringing old Italian cars back to life ...

2csfm0g.jpg

Amazingly, even after over 25 years of storage, there was no rubber rot that I could see. If Booth could bring back those old WWII jeeps, this oughta be a cakewalk.

Hey Mikoe....  whadda ya say we drop one of these bad boys in there and give that little Italian whore a face lift,a boob job, a vitamine B shoot, and get her hooking again?

0196529f4757d0767107564e7895fc7c.jpg

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Hey Mikoe....  whadda ya say we drop one of these bad boys in there and give that little Italian whore a face lift,a boob job, a vitamine B shoot, and get her hooking again?

Holy smokes, for what vehicle did you build that engine? If my car is a whore, than that engine is the whore's turbo charged crack pipe. I just ... I can't even get my head around what I'm looking at there, it's either the widest V6 in the history, or someone doubled up the ports on a V-12. What are your plans for that engine?

My wife is now giving me shit about the Fiat. She said "get that piece of shit out the garage." I thought "piece of shit? Huh?" I thought maybe someone swapped the 124 for a piece of shit. So I looked in the garage, the lovely 124 was still there, no piece of shit in sight. My daughter was getting into her Mazda, I asked her "Is the Fiat a piece of shit?" She said "I kinda like it. It's beautiful."

That's when I understood. My wife doesn't hate the Pininfarina, she's jealous of the Pininfarina. It's a stylish, attractive, middle-aged woman like herself, and my wife sees the car as a competitor. This of course suggests that I should never allow my wife to drive her, because jealously in women is often a two-way street, and now that my wife has caused a dent in the 124's behind, so too will the 124 try to enact her revenge upon my lovely wife. What I need to do is liquor them both up; my wife with some jewelry, and the Fiat with some high-octane, and then see if some sparks might fly between the two ladies. Oh yeah.

59 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Holy smokes, for what vehicle did you build that engine? If my car is a whore, than that engine is the whore's turbo charged crack pipe.

My wife is now giving me shit about the Fiat. She said "get that piece of shit "little phucking whore" out the garage.

Subaru 3.3. H6... going into a VW Vanagon... 

Oh!  I think this is what your wife really said...  Anyway have fun with your project..  I can sleep in mine if needed B)

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

. What I need to do is liquor them both up; my wife with some jewelry, and the Fiat with some high-octane, and then see if some sparks might fly between the two ladies. Oh yeah.

This could backfire on you... they could enjoy each other company... 

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

Who said they would pay you back? The grid operator or some kind of residential solar supplier?

I thought that it's usually the grid operator who pays back once you have a sufficient running balance over your usage.

It sounds like you made a major install if you're at 8x over your average usage. We have 6 kW on our roof and pretty much use it all and then some when averaged over the year.

27kW (23.7 actual). It was the electric/power co. that said they paid back, which is why I went with a mega system.

The switch was thrown at 2:30 (+-)PM this afternoon, and so far I have contributed 2.4 kW to the grid. The power co guy expects that by 9AM tomorrow I will have bought back 14kW, If tomorrow is clear (It's supposed to be), I calculate that I will contribute 28kW to the grid by sundown......

Of course the sun is near low azimuth, and it won't get any better until about the end of January, but between the end of February, and the end of September I should do pretty well.

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

This could backfire on you... they could enjoy each other company... 

That’s what happened at my place. Wife wanted a Honda S2000 last year so she got her “cute” Suzuka Blue roadster. Daughter got rear ended in her sensible Mazda6 and decided she needed a new car. She looked for a couple of months and bought herself a new Abarth 124 in Rosso Red. Now mom and daughter have to make the decision of which roadster to head out in. 

6 hours ago, nacradriver said:

You're gonna have to beef up the transaxle mounts a little, aren't ya?   

39 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You're gonna have to beef up the transaxle mounts a little, aren't ya?   

The one pictured is not my project....  Bu in answer to your question, Nope..

10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

The one pictured is not my project....  Bu in answer to your question, Nope..

Okay, it's the horizontally exploding engine, makes sense now. I had the horizontal-four in my old Impretzel, never took it out though. The timing belt broke at about 70k miles and I left it a few thousand miles behind and never picked it up again. The system had excellent torque management though.

Is that a common engine to put into a Vanagon? I assume you have an early 1980s Vanagon in the water-cooled years?

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

27kW (23.7 actual). It was the electric/power co. that said they paid back, which is why I went with a mega system.

The switch was thrown at 2:30 (+-)PM this afternoon, and so far I have contributed 2.4 kW to the grid. The power co guy expects that by 9AM tomorrow I will have bought back 14kW, If tomorrow is clear (It's supposed to be), I calculate that I will contribute 28kW to the grid by sundown......

Of course the sun is near low azimuth, and it won't get any better until about the end of January, but between the end of February, and the end of September I should do pretty well.

Awesome, but I assume you mean kWh, not kW.

Up here in Seattle, I have a 6.5kW array and use about 14kWh/day on average. In the summertime I generate about 50kWh/day and in the winter it's closer to 6.5kWh/day. I can usually get through October net-positive but don't get back into the black until late February. Over the course of a year, I generate about 30% more than I use. Feels good.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Okay, it's the horizontally exploding engine, makes sense now. I had the horizontal-four in my old Impretzel, never took it out though. The timing belt broke at about 70k miles and I left it a few thousand miles behind and never picked it up again. The system had excellent torque management though.

Is that a common engine to put into a Vanagon? I assume you have an early 1980s Vanagon in the water-cooled years?

You were a couple of thousand miles beyond the recommended timing belt replacement...  shit happens when you have an interference engine and that belt gets out of whack if there was a 2.5 in there.

Yes, 1980 to 1991 VW Vanagons...  Any one of the Subaru engines will work  2.2, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.3. Right now I have a 2.2L in there...  it gave a 40% increase in HP, but she still lugs when it comes to pulling some serious hills with 500 lbs being towed in the back...  

Here is one with the work already done... kind of look like it belongs in there...   can understand why Dieter and Manfred didn't call up their buddies at Audi or Porsche and get something like this form the start.... 

24292675612_f938e2eddb_b.jpg

13 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

You were a couple of thousand miles beyond the recommended timing belt replacement...  shit happens when you have an interference engine and that belt gets out of whack if there was a 2.5 in there.

Yes, 1980 to 1991 VW Vanagons...  Any one of the Subaru engines will work  2.2, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.3. Right now I have a 2.2L in there...  it gave a 40% increase in HP, but she still lugs when it comes to pulling some serious hills with 500 lbs being towed in the back...  

Here is one with the work already done... kind of look like it belongs in there...   can understand why Dieter and Manfred didn't call up their buddies at Audi or Porsche and get something like this form the start.... 

24292675612_f938e2eddb_b.jpg

I guess they make the belts kind of thin. And yes, half of the valves were twisted up like fusilli noodles. I didn't have the means or equipment to fix it, but I hope someone did. That drivetrain was magic though. Front wheel drive, and it pulled that little car over any mountain pass I could throw at her, through snow and mud that trapped some of the big 4WDs. There was so much room in that engine box that they shoved the spare tire on top of the engine.

What are you going to do with the old 2.2?

If you ever get a chance, have a look at Booth's FB page, he rebuilt a VW Pathfinder engine in an old boat. Fixed up the cabin, turned a POS 4ksb into a pretty sweet cruiser.

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Now mom and daughter have to make the decision of which roadster to head out in. 

Now that is some first class diabolical strategic maneuvering on your behalf...  you are the Zen master...  :lol:

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Awesome, but I assume you mean kWh, not kW.

Up here in Seattle, I have a 6.5kW array and use about 14kWh/day on average. In the summertime I generate about 50kWh/day and in the winter it's closer to 6.5kWh/day. I can usually get through October net-positive but don't get back into the black until late February. Over the course of a year, I generate about 30% more than I use. Feels good.

I imagine you're correct.

Our avg. monthly bill was $160.00  at $.17 per kWh..... We sell back at something like $.015 perkWh

But I figure with this massive array I should make out OK in the sunny months.

It's 93 panels at 290 with 3 inverters each capable of 70k..... I'm still learning.

Don't forget, we have to have AC going from may through sept.

I never even had AC for 55 years in New England or the Caribbean...... Here in North Florida, it is needed.

Sounds like you use about double what I do but that array is massive. Time to buy a couple electric cars...

I have a golf cart....I call it the "Court Tesla". 20 acres is a lot to walk in a day, when you're tending citrus trees, bees, and etc. I gave up hoofing it this past summer.

Now if I could only weld the dump bed from the Daihatsu to the golf cart.....

23 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Well..... The power co. guy was dead on. We bought 14kWh from the grid between sundown (5PMish) and 9AM, when the panels started generating a positive number...

BUT.... I have fed back 69kWh to the grid, and it's 3:20 here, so I still have a  hour and a half of good sun....

The difference between what I buy @ and what I sell back at is going to make winter months a potential net zero situation, but hopefully the longer sun days will boost my (potential) revenue.

26 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Well..... The power co. guy was dead on. We bought 14kWh from the grid between sundown (5PMish) and 9AM, when the panels started generating a positive number...

BUT.... I have fed back 69kWh to the grid, and it's 3:20 here, so I still have a  hour and a half of good sun....

The difference between what I buy @ and what I sell back at is going to make winter months a potential net zero situation, but hopefully the longer sun days will boost my (potential) revenue.

Dumb personal question - how much to install, and how much was your average electric bill?  Payback period? 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Dumb personal question - how much? 

After the 15K (+-) tax rebate, around 38K. The pay off schedule is expected (By both the solar co. and the power co.) to be 5-6 years. Not sure how they figure that, but that's what they say.

I figured it'd be closer to 10 years. We'll see.

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

After the 15K (+-) tax rebate, around 38K. The pay off schedule is expected (By both the solar co. and the power co.) to be 5-6 years. Not sure how they figure that, but that's what they say.

I figured it'd be closer to 10 years. We'll see.

Besta luck with that - I've been looking at similar systems, just not sure if we've got enough 'sun day's' up in the Northern Shenandoah Valley to make it as economically viable as sunnier climes. 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Besta luck with that - I've been looking at similar systems, just not sure if we've got enough 'sun day's' up in the Northern Shenandoah Valley to make it as economically viable as sunnier climes. 

The power co. guys said that the panels actually perform better in more moderate temps than in the intense heat we get here in summer. Something about the cores going mushy and not conducting well.... That said, he also said that when it gets too cold (Think northern New England) for too long things "crystallize" and don't perform well....

The panels stopped effectively generating a positive flow about a half hour ago (4:45PM), but are still contributing to the electrical system to a small degree.

I'll be very interested to see how it does between the vernal, and autumnal equinoxes.

14 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

The power co. guys said that the panels actually perform better in more moderate temps than in the intense heat we get here in summer. Something about the cores going mushy and not conducting well.... That said, he also said that when it gets too cold (Think northern New England) for too long things "crystallize" and don't perform well....

The panels stopped effectively generating a positive flow about a half hour ago (4:45PM), but are still contributing to the electrical system to a small degree.

I'll be very interested to see how it does between the vernal, and autumnal equinoxes.

Thanks again, Lefty - I'd enjoy pics if you've got the time and inclination to share them. 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks again, Lefty - I'd enjoy pics if you've got the time and inclination to share them. 

The pics the solar installation guy took suck, and to be perfectly honest, I'm afraid to go up on the roof now (Might get zapped, or break something critical..... Like my neck) but as soon as I can talk someone into going up there, I'll get pics.

41 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The pics the solar installation guy took suck, and to be perfectly honest, I'm afraid to go up on the roof now (Might get zapped, or break something critical..... Like my neck) but as soon as I can talk someone into going up there, I'll get pics.

I wish I could get excited about my damned rooftop solar array. But every time I notice the panels on the roof, I think about the pigeon shit and the dust on the glass that cut the efficiency. Every time I notice the little internet solar interface in the basement or the house's upstairs and downstairs HVAC systems, I think about how a ground source heat pump would have been a better investment than a bunch of rooftop panels. They had to backfill the foundation anyway, they could have put in the ground loop super cheap and had a single heat pump with mini-splits rather than two HVAC units and a house full of ductwork.

Folks around here with mountain properties and ground sourced heat pumps tend to have so much extra heat that they use it to heat their garages, melt ice in their driveways and they sometimes run them under their gardens so they can plant a couple months earlier.

52 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I wish I could get excited about my damned rooftop solar array. But every time I notice the panels on the roof, I think about the pigeon shit and the dust on the glass that cut the efficiency. Every time I notice the little internet solar interface in the basement or the house's upstairs and downstairs HVAC systems, I think about how a ground source heat pump would have been a better investment than a bunch of rooftop panels. They had to backfill the foundation anyway, they could have put in the ground loop super cheap and had a single heat pump with mini-splits rather than two HVAC units and a house full of ductwork.

Folks around here with mountain properties and ground sourced heat pumps tend to have so much extra heat that they use it to heat their garages, melt ice in their driveways and they sometimes run them under their gardens so they can plant a couple months earlier.

If I was building new, I would use an in ground heat pump, but this building is pre-existing, and has a large nicely oriented steel roof with massive steel girders and purlins. (Think industrial garage) And I didn't have to tear up the concrete driveway/apron, worry about where waterlines for irrigation, and main well feed lines, underground electric service, fruit tree roots etc.

This is kind of fun.... I may have to start another thread... After I get pictures.

After 72 hours (+-) I have sent 108kWhs to the grid, and received 25kWhs from the grid......

1 hour ago, floating dutchman said:

Lefty,  are those prices you said a typo or are you getting shafted on the price that bad?

I can't (unwilling to search through a pile of paper right now) find the actual numbers, but I know that here in the sunshine state, the power co.s do not want you to enjoy the sun.

They do everything they can to discourage efficiency, and conservation.

I'm pretty sure they buy back kWhs at about 1/3-1/4 what they charge.... So if I'm producing 4+ times what I use in these low light months, I hope to do well in the longer days.....

Like I said, we'll see. If nothing else, I've added value to the property, so that if/when I sell, it will have that added benefit of "0 $ electric cost per year".

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

If I was building new, I would use an in ground heat pump, but this building is pre-existing, and has a large nicely oriented steel roof with massive steel girders and purlins. (Think industrial garage) And I didn't have to tear up the concrete driveway/apron, worry about where waterlines for irrigation, and main well feed lines, underground electric service, fruit tree roots etc.

Yes, and you just bought your panels outright. We got rooked into the deal by our builder.

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

Yes, and you just bought your panels outright. We got rooked into the deal by our builder.

Yes, and I bought them at cost, not at retail... I'm sure they'll be obsolete dinosaurs in 5-6 years, but much like my computer, I can, in theory, update the system when it becomes feasible.....

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yes, and I bought them at cost, not at retail... I'm sure they'll be obsolete dinosaurs in 5-6 years, but much like my computer, I can, in theory, update the system when it becomes feasible.....

I'm not sure that they'll be obsolete, it seems the industry is now headed more towards cost reduction rather than significant increases in conversion efficiency.

Did you use micro-inverters?

Solar panels aren't improving that fast. They'll probably be within 80% of the performance of their contemporaries 10 years from now (not accounting for age degradation of your panels, which is <=1%/year). 

9 hours ago, mikewof said:

I'm not sure that they'll be obsolete, it seems the industry is now headed more towards cost reduction rather than significant increases in conversion efficiency.

Did you use micro-inverters?

SAM (System advisor monitor) inverters. Apparently microinverters have a habit of failing in the climate around here. Initially I wanted micro inverters on every panel, so that each panel would produce it's best potential, instead of having say 20 panel per inverter and the inverter only recognizes the least efficient panel, but was talked out of it. In theory the SAMs can allow an array to exceed the inverter's capacity by spreading the kW to other lower performing inverters.... (Or something like that.)

120 hours in 219kWh into the grid/ 47kWh bought...... Today was rainy and cloudy until noon when it started to clear up, and was mostly sunny by sundown

Tomorrow should be sunny, but all rain for the rest of the week.

I'm hoping for a 400/100 ratio by this time next week...... Thanksgiving festivities may impact that goal..... (Damn holidays!)

274kWh/58kWh...... Not bad for a cold night (38f) and a partly cloudy day.....

15 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

274kWh/58kWh...... Not bad for a cold night (38f) and a partly cloudy day.....

It's interesting how the economics of those PV panels are not what always seems intuitive.

There are large arrays in Alaska that are more productive than ones in much lower latitudes. The four months of crappy sun are more than balanced by the clear skies and the four months of lots of sun. And as you noted, cold panels work better.

When the sunlight hits the photovoltaic, it sends an electron into the conduction layer. In hot weather, all the layers are more molecularly active, and the electron is more likely to recombine back into the material before it makes useful energy, just heating the material more. But a cold panel is more stable and recombination is less likely for each electron.

We'll see, the next 4 days are forecast to be cloudy and rainy. The 4 after that sunny, but cool.

290/68...... Rainy and heavy clouds definitely makes a big difference.....

330/80 Partly cloudy with a constant high haze....

I'm still optimistic.

Well..... Rainy Thursday, and a partly to mostly cloudy Friday have hit home hard...

240 hours in we're at 385/122. I'm sure 3 loads of laundry and the Walton's thanksgiving marathon TV special didn't help......

Can you not programme the system, or your use of power, so that you shift some of your heavy loads to daylight hours and use your solar generated energy for these loads?

You can afford to use almost 4kw of solar power to replace 1kw of grid power. Pre heat the house and water, dry some clothes, do a large wash, pump water etc etc when you are generating solar power.

I got some halfway decent pictures yesterday, but they're all to big to post for some reason.....

1,395 sq. ft. of panel surface generating 27 kWh (In reality 23kWh peak) The living part of the house is 1,100 sq. ft. In theory I need 1.5kW per 100 sq. ft of living space to break even (year round)....

Today is mostly sunny, we'll see if we can boost that production number up some.....

4 hours ago, Ukuri said:

Can you not programme the system, or your use of power, so that you shift some of your heavy loads to daylight hours and use your solar generated energy for these loads?

You can afford to use almost 4kw of solar power to replace 1kw of grid power. Pre heat the house and water, dry some clothes, do a large wash, pump water etc etc when you are generating solar power.

With a grid-connected system it only matters if your sell or buy prices are tied to time of day. If that's not the case then it all washes out in the monthly accounting. 

Water heater is propane on demand Kitchen range is propane. The big draws are clothes dryer, and refrigerators/freezers (2 fridge /freezers, 1 freezer) The dryer I can time for efficiency, the fridges, however do what they do, when they want. All high efficiency jobs from some place below the equator, where these things are taken more seriously than here in Hamerica.

Unfortunately, the satellite internet we have doesn't support our monitoring system..... Welcome to cow country.

Today we hit 524/160.

I did laundry last night, and it didn't seem to make that big of a dent....(15kWh Vs. 12kWh on non laundry nights.) I think I use more solar energy doing laundry during the day, than I use low rate grid energy at night when it comes to the clothes drier.... The outdoor clothes line was a victim of the hurricane, and has yet to be reinstalled pending a large amount of tree removal that is still (also) pending......

After a half a month our net is 387kWh to the positive. IE: We have sent 387kWh back to the grid over what we've used from the grid.

4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That seems pretty significant - is it in line w/your pre-install expectations? 

A little low, but then again, we're in low sun hours weeks/months here, but also fairly low power usage. No AC, no heat pump running pretty much the last 2 weeks. The one day the AC did kick in, and stayed on for hours, was one of our low performing days, but ironically, it was a partly/mostly cloudy day.... Just very hot and muggy.....

So like I keep telling myself. We'll see. I'd love it if anyone wants to record their kWh usage between sundown and sun up on any given day, and report it, as that's the only real baseline I can use, seeing as how our system won't be contributing during those hours.

We're using between 10-14kWh per "night"..... between sunset and 9:30AM (+-) when the sun gets over the trees...

We reached 599kWh out today.... (Possible I'll get that extra 1kWh).... I was really hoping for 600 at the half month mark, but that was just a random number.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

We reached 599kWh out today.... (Possible I'll get that extra 1kWh).... I was really hoping for 600 at the half month mark, but that was just a random number.

here in Kalifornia, for the extra you make for them to sell

You Get ............... it logged

that's All

• Like 1

I checked with our local electric co op and they swore up down and sideways that they paid back..... Then when they saw what I'd put in they hemmed and hawed, and said that I needed to take that up with their provider..... I sent them the emails I had from them previously saying that they paid back, and they agreed that I would be paid back, but I'd be getting a check from the main provider not them directly. Seeing as the billing year cycle ends on Dec 31, I figure I've got some nasty leg work to do, but not until January. I don't expect that these guys want to pay me a dime, but I have it in writing, and I happen to be an officer of the court of the State of Florida, and I do have an attorney, so....... We'll see..... Like I said, it's all up in the air still.

10 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I checked with our local electric co op and they swore up down and sideways that they paid back..... Then when they saw what I'd put in they hemmed and hawed, and said that I needed to take that up with their provider..... I sent them the emails I had from them previously saying that they paid back, and they agreed that I would be paid back, but I'd be getting a check from the main provider not them directly. Seeing as the billing year cycle ends on Dec 31, I figure I've got some nasty leg work to do, but not until January. I don't expect that these guys want to pay me a dime, but I have it in writing, and I happen to be an officer of the court of the State of Florida, and I do have an attorney, so....... We'll see..... Like I said, it's all up in the air still.

Officer of the Court and you have an attorney. You might actually get that check. You're expecting about ten cents or so per kWH? A monthly check of about $100 or so?

They can't screw around like that with their big providers, but they do it with the little ones? Friggen grid operators ...

25 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Officer of the Court and you have an attorney. You might actually get that check. You're expecting about ten cents or so per kWH? A monthly check of about $100 or so?

They can't screw around like that with their big providers, but they do it with the little ones? Friggen grid operators ...

Perzackly...

@ 480 hours in we're at 794kWh sent and 248kWh bought, for a net gain of 548kWh...... Not bad for low sun, and partly cloudy some days...

But no AC/Heat is also a contributing factor.

It's about to get down to freezing this weekend, which will probably kick in the heat pump..... And it's supposed to be rainy for days.....

Still, I'm optimistic, considering the time of year and all.....

1 hour ago, ropetrick said:

Can you use any of that extra power to start the Diahatsu?

I'm still waiting on the neighbor to get some free time to give me a hand with that. Kind of like bleeding brakes, some things require 3 hands and at least 2 people.

Got my monthly power bill this month.... $63.00

16 days on the grid 15 off. (so to speak)

We pay 8.6 cents per kWh and we get paid 4.1cents for our power.

I'm not sure they're crediting us exactly correctly, but that's why I'm monitoring it.

Last full month of on grid we paid $169.00..... So still not bad considering it was only a half a month, and low sun light.....

This area is higher cost for electricity than most of Florida, and Florida is higher than most of the country..... Florida also has no solar tax incentives, or credits. The Sunshine state doesn't want you to use the sunshine for power.... Duke Energy and Seminole have a very firm grip in Tallahassee.

4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

This area is higher cost for electricity than most of Florida, and Florida is higher than most of the country..... Florida also has no solar tax incentives, or credits. The Sunshine state doesn't want you to use the sunshine for power.... Duke Energy and Seminole have a very firm grip in Tallahassee.

In East DAGO g&e cut off power preemptively to thousands of customers who Are Required to be on tge Grid 

I would be one Pissed off MoFo to have a Solar Array w tankless water heater, electric Cooking , refrigeration and house clmite control 

And be Freezing in the Dark because of having a grid tied system that requires the system to be hot or you get NOTHING !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

In East DAGO g&e cut off power preemptively to thousands of customers who Are Required to be on tge Grid 

I would be one Pissed off MoFo to have a Solar Array w tankless water heater, electric Cooking , refrigeration and house clmite control 

And be Freezing in the Dark because of having a grid tied system that requires the system to be hot or you get NOTHING !!

Same here... If you're tied to the grid, and the grid goes dark, your solar does too. And they make it nearly impossible to go completely off grid (No permits unless you pay an enormous fee to the utility co.)....... BUT...... I have a 17kW propane generator that kicks in when the grid goes dark, and theoretically the way the solar was hooked up if the grid goes dark at night, the generator kicks in. If it goes dark during the day, the generator kicks in, senses the electricity from the solar, and kicks off until dark, then it'll kick in again.....

I don't really want to find out if it works or not, but I'm sure the time will come at some point...

1 hour ago, Mike in Seattle said:

If the grid goes dark and the sun is out,

1)  do YOU still have pwr ?

2)  have you considered battery storage / inverters for any critical stuff ?

That is an option in All cases But whey more Expencive 

Some systems have a 20amp circuit or o that will stsy Hot in an outage 

All should

• Like 1

In theory even if the solar array doesn't power the house, the generator will. BUT...... The way that it's is supposed to be set up is that if the sun is supplying enough power to take care of the houses' needs, the generator should stay silent. I have my doubts about this, but that's what's supposed to happen.

Battery back up technology is still in the Pleistocene era, so I opted out of that, because I already had the generator.

So Press Releases now mentioning along with no electricity issues we in the city can relate to 

People are Now out of well water 

So Clear right Now ehat should have been done to prepair

But thats an easy call after the fact knowing the flavor of disaster to hit 1st

:-(

1 hour ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Hi Jack

did the dump get fixed or not?

Not yet, but the neighbor's father is a retired mechanic from Iowa (Fucker brought the arctic weather with him), and he's visiting until April. I expect he'll get bored of hanging out with the grandkids by about Dec. 26th... He may need something to keep him occupied..... A nice little dump truck mystery might be just the ticket! :D

I'm going to bribe him with citrus in a few hours...... Citrus and whiskey....... :D

Yea for me B)

San Diego Gas & Electric logo

Acct # 

You used 30% less energy than your efficient neighbors.

great-v2-yellow.png

Great

good-v2-grey.png

Good

more-than-average-v2-grey.png

Using more than average

You

299 units

Efficient Neighbors

429 units

All Neighbors

584 units

Oct 26, 2017 - Nov 24, 2017
Units represent a combination of electricity (kWh) and natural gas (therms). This comparison is based on approx. 100 nearby homes that are most similar to yours. Efficient homes include the most efficient 20 percent from the “All Neighbors” group.
Learn more.