BboySlug

Where is Best Beach Cat Racing/Sailing in Australia?

Considering a move to Aussie. Was wondering where the most active beach cat communities are? More specifically for B Class cats (Hobie 16s, F18s, etc.)? 

Looks like Nedlands Yacht Club has a bunch of cats over in Perth. Are there any other hotspots? 

What about the weather and waterways? The weather in here in Auckland is a little bit rainy and cool for my tastes. Struggling to put on a wetsuit everytime I sail is getting annoying when I used to just jump on the boat with bare feet and shorts. However, the waterways here in Auckland just can't be beat!

5 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

Considering a move to Aussie. Was wondering where the most active beach cat communities are? More specifically for B Class cats (Hobie 16s, F18s, etc.)? 

Looks like Nedlands Yacht Club has a bunch of cats over in Perth. Are there any other hotspots? 

What about the weather and waterways? The weather in here in Auckland is a little bit rainy and cool for my tastes. Struggling to put on a wetsuit everytime I sail is getting annoying when I used to just jump on the boat with bare feet and shorts. However, the waterways here in Auckland just can't be beat!

Lake Cootharaba Qld. Just had a cat regatta this weekend with 70 plus boats.

No wetsuit EVER required. Perfect for an A Cat then you can sail the Worlds later next year at Hervey Bay. 

Which part of Australia are you thinking of?

Vincentia NSW has a few cats but you have to put up with the crappy view and dirty water :lol:

We sail 14ft cats at Mannering Park on Lake Macquarie.  We also have a good fleet of Taipan 4.9's and a couple of Nacra 5.7's.  Weather still a little cool for no wetsuits though.

They sail on Lake Mac for about 6months of the year.  I don't know why it's just that though.  Toukley Sailing club near the Entrance sail about 9 months.

There's always Kurnel on Botany Bay, they have a fleet of cats.

Was thinking Perth or Brisbane/Gold Coast. Looks like I could easily find work in either of those places. I could also easily find work in Melbourne or Sydney, but those places I'm less keen on. 

Lake Cootharaba Qld. Just had a cat regatta this weekend with 70 plus boats.

Wow that's impressive! Is this just a once a year thing though? Looking for a beach cat circuit with active sailors who have regattas about once a month on season. 

I'm okay with wetsuits, but just for 3 months out of the year. Not 7-8 like here. 

Anybody have suggestions on a big regatta hosted every year which I might want to check out? We did the GT300 in Texas which people took a whole week off for and we sailed 500kms down the coastline over several days and camped on the beach. If anybody's looking for crew for something like that, I would make a trip to Oz to check it out. :)

23 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

Was thinking Perth or Brisbane/Gold Coast. Looks like I could easily find work in either of those places. I could also easily find work in Melbourne or Sydney, but those places I'm less keen on. 

Wow that's impressive! Is this just a once a year thing though? Looking for a beach cat circuit with active sailors who have regattas about once a month on season. 

I'm okay with wetsuits, but just for 3 months out of the year. Not 7-8 like here. 

Anybody have suggestions on a big regatta hosted every year which I might want to check out? We did the GT300 in Texas which people took a whole week off for and we sailed 500kms down the coastline over several days and camped on the beach. If anybody's looking for crew for something like that, I would make a trip to Oz to check it out. :)

Lake Cootharaba has three cat regattas a year around that size plus State and National regattas for various classes. South East Qld/Northern NSW has the regular regatta circuit you are seeking. Eg last month there was the Humpybash in Brisbane, this weekend the Cat Challenge at Lake Cootharaba and four weeks time Multihull Challenge at Hervey Bay. Then most classes have their nationals just after Christmas. 

If you're coming to Perth, Nedlands Yacht Club would have the strongest H16 fleet probably in the world. Their top sailors regularly sit in the top 5 at worlds. The F18 fleet at Jervoise Bay sailing club is also strong with a beautiful sailing location. PM me if you'd like some specifics. 

Aus doesn't really have true long distance races like the US, the most adventurous and longest beachcat race is in about two weeks on 18th Nov from Goolwa at the end of the Murray river in South Aus up the Goolwa channel, across the top of Lake Alexandrina, through a creek called the Narrows then across Lake Albert to Meningie, all up about 70km of sailing or 150km by road. For the last 5 years has only taken about 3hours or less for the fastest boats, what it lacks in distance it makes up for in testing your fitness, I'm far from a good sailor but here's a video link of a race on my Nacra 5.8, if you want to have a crack at it and you have genuinely skippered in the GT300, I'll lend you my Taipan 5.7 if you can get here for this race, even double stack it and take it to the start and back home again

Brisbane/SE QLD is a good start.  There is a quality H16 fleet sailing out of RQYS and a great social group as well.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthEastQueenslandHobieSailing/

Plenty of quality regattas in the area as well for mixed fleet racing (Lake Cootharaba SC, Humpybong YC, Cleveland YC, Hervey Bay SC, Southport YC all hold great regattas) plus Ballina and Harwood a couple of hours south hold quality river regattas.  Great weather all year round.  Hard to beat SE QLD

34 minutes ago, dave202 said:

Brisbane/SE QLD is a good start.  There is a quality H16 fleet sailing out of RQYS and a great social group as well.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthEastQueenslandHobieSailing/

Plenty of quality regattas in the area as well for mixed fleet racing (Lake Cootharaba SC, Humpybong YC, Cleveland YC, Hervey Bay SC, Southport YC all hold great regattas) plus Ballina and Harwood a couple of hours south hold quality river regattas.  Great weather all year round.  Hard to beat SE QLD

And considering where the OP cones from - there is a growing Witta fleet at Lake Cootharaba. Of course they sail in the mono regattas based on speed. :)

• Like 1

Dave: The infamous Hog's breath Sail!

MadaboutCats: Thanks for the info. I've skippered in Ruff Riders, which is a (now forever cancelled due to lack of funds) regatta each year around South Padre Island in Texas. I've also done the Dash which is the last 70km leg of the GT300, but I have not done the entire GT300. Still, the race you describe sounds interesting. We had a navigational race like that up a river in Austin which was always fun. Very wind shifty too, but tested the skills in a different way. I'd probably be interested in coming to sail that next year with you guys, seems a bit late to try for this year. 

I'm under the impression that most regattas are round the bouys type regattas. My question to you all is, with such strong Beach Cat fleets in Oz, why doesn't your beach cat sailing culture do more distance/destination races? I understand they take more coordination, but the extra expense is totally worth the fun experience! 

WetnWild: Sorry, not interested in sailing Wetas... 

16 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

MadaboutCats: Thanks for the info. I've skippered in Ruff Riders, which is a (now forever cancelled due to lack of funds) regatta each year around South Padre Island in Texas. I've also done the Dash which is the last 70km leg of the GT300, but I have not done the entire GT300. Still, the race you describe sounds interesting. We had a navigational race like that up a river in Austin which was always fun. Very wind shifty too, but tested the skills in a different way. I'd probably be interested in coming to sail that next year with you guys, seems a bit late to try for this year. 

I'm under the impression that most regattas are round the bouys type regattas. My question to you all is, with such strong Beach Cat fleets in Oz, why doesn't your beach cat sailing culture do more distance/destination races? I understand they take more coordination, but the extra expense is totally worth the fun experience! 

Yes understand your lack of interest in a Weta. It was my pathetic attempt at a joke. 

We've had many distance/passage type races in the past and they have all died eventually more is the pity. Some I have sailed are Margate Marathon, Bribie Bash, Mooloolaba to Noosa, Currumbin Marathon, Bridge to Bridge (Harwood to Grafton) and the Great Race (Southport to Manly. They've all died I think due to logistics and much more stringent safety regulations. The only one left on the area vaguely resembling these is the Wivenhoe Winter Marathon. It's a good fun regatta but isn't usually rigorous due to light wind and being on a contained lake. 

55 minutes ago, WetnWild said:

And considering where the OP cones from - there is a growing Witta fleet at Lake Cootharaba. Of course they sail in the mono regattas based on speed. :)

Weta's are great, they're like a Laser with training wheels, and nearly as fast as a Laser too ;) 

50 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

My reputation precedes me ........

Id love to see some coastal distance (racing)up the coast. Nth NSW & Qld are perfect. You just need to keep it away from any electronic signatures 5-10 boats with 2 chase boats all word of mouth. 

14 hours ago, BboySlug said:

With those credentials I'm happy to lend you a boat in the future, always have a few sitting around unused, the way I see it, the best buoy racing is between Sydney and lower Qld, as it's easy to travel to lots of events, I tow my Nacra 5.8 for a 3200km round trip to Forster NSW for the Wildcat Regatta on the October long weekend, with between 70 and 100 fast cats it's way bigger than any other regatta I can get to, not to mention the off the water fun as well, video below. As the above post said there is also the annual Lake Cootharaba regatta has a similar number of boats, I've never been to that one but knowing the sailors up that way would assume it would be a big social time off the water as well. If your after established distance racing which in Aus is really mid distance racing, then South Aus has the pick of it but our numbers of competitors are only 30 at most for any event in South Aus with no visitors from interstate. I can throw up any number of videos of our Goolwa to Milang race (50km), the return Milang to Goolwa race(50km) or last year we just threw together the Milang to Meningie race about (55km) video below, (wish I could stop the big preview screen).

As for your question of why there isn't there more of a distance racing culture, from my perspective it seems that as soon as someone buys a new Infusion or C2 they loose interest in doing our distance racing because I'm assuming the boats are optimised for windward returns, the couple of Edge F18 sailors here seem to do quite well and the Hobie Tigers go well, the Marstrom 20 goes well (to be honest actually flogs us all).

plus quite a few above 20km,

21 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Any capital city except Sydney and you'll find decent cat fleets.  

There are 101 different reasons not to live in Sydney (why would you if you can live in Melbourne:D) but there is even a decent cat club there. Kurnell Cat Club offers pretty good sailing and fleets.

I suppose I would be mainly looking for a good mix of distance regattas and round the bouys regattas. Back in Texas, our F18s would participate in the distance regattas too, but I would agree that the designers probably optimized the boats for windward/leeward sailing. 

From what I'm gathering, it sounds like Gold Coast/Brisbane area is the place to be.  

3 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

There are 101 different reasons not to live in Sydney (why would you if you can live in Melbourne:D) but there is even a decent cat club there. Kurnell Cat Club offers pretty good sailing and fleets.

True but ask the people there and most will claim they don’t live in Sydney.  It’s a long commute for a sail from most of Sydney to Kurnell 

Hardly a long commute. I use to live in Glebe (inner west of city) and race at Kurnell.  Took 45 min to get there.  Travelled up from Melbourne and raced their annual Regatta las weekend. Great breeze, flat water and no traffic.  I forgot how much I loved racing there.

Victoria have more cat clubs and they are quite spread out.  3 of the biggest would be Port Melbourne (where I race), Frankston and McCrae.  Port and Frankston have strong F18 fleets whilst McCrae has one of the best A fleets in Aus

McCrae are also holding the Vic Cat Champs in a few weeks. Expect a strong showing of A class,F18, F16, Taipan, Mossie and H16s to name a few.

Hoping for the usual solid sea breeze with flat water along with some of Australia's / World best A Class sailors there.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, BboySlug said:

I suppose I would be mainly looking for a good mix of distance regattas and round the bouys regattas. Back in Texas, our F18s would participate in the distance regattas too, but I would agree that the designers probably optimized the boats for windward/leeward sailing. 

From what I'm gathering, it sounds like Gold Coast/Brisbane area is the place to be.  

Sort of depends what sort of boat you are on and where you want to do your weekend warrior racing, also the family stuff and lastly what sort of social side of racing you want, I travel 300 to 500km most weekends during the season to do the racing I want with the social side of it a big factor. If you are into Bundy and beer after racing and sitting in the rigging area long after the racing has finished it would be hard to beat the Nacra side of racing. My fastest and more elegant to sail boat is the Taipan 5.7 but not many of those travel, for instance none at Wildcat but the Nacra's travel everywhere. If I was into buoy racing and could live anywhere I would live close to one of the clubs in the area you are talking that has a lot of like minded skippers. For instance if you got a Nacra Infusion while its far from the sexiest F18 out there, you could do the Nacra Travellers series, that would take you to all the big regattas but the series also takes you to races in far Nth Qld as well as all the places in between with a stack of Infusions on the line at each event. The Nacra National Titles are in WA this year you could put your boat in the shipping container subsidised by the Nacra association and fly to the event, then you have a choice have the boat come straight back in one of the containers or fly home, leave the boat there for a few weeks then fly back to do the F18 Nationals and then the container is coming home. AND while your at it plan to travel down to South Aus every now and then to get your fix of mid distance racing

I've historically owned Hobie 16s and crewed on F18s, but to be honest I'm keen for any double trap catamaran which my crew and I would be a good weight on. Social I like a regattas, especially ones that I travel to, but it's not necessary as really I'm there to sail. I just prefer one design is all over handicap racing because I don't want to be able to blame the boat on me loosing the races. It sounds like there is a specific circuit regattas for Nacra brand cats though? Or am I mistaken? I would find that weird that they didn't open it up to non Nacra brand beach cats. 

What clubs in specific in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area seem to have the beach cats? When I was looking into Perth is seemed like Nedlands and Jervoise Bay were the powerhouses. 

8 hours ago, BboySlug said:

I've historically owned Hobie 16s and crewed on F18s, but to be honest I'm keen for any double trap catamaran which my crew and I would be a good weight on. Social I like a regattas, especially ones that I travel to, but it's not necessary as really I'm there to sail. I just prefer one design is all over handicap racing because I don't want to be able to blame the boat on me loosing the races. It sounds like there is a specific circuit regattas for Nacra brand cats though? Or am I mistaken? I would find that weird that they didn't open it up to non Nacra brand beach cats. 

What clubs in specific in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area seem to have the beach cats? When I was looking into Perth is seemed like Nedlands and Jervoise Bay were the powerhouses. 

Didn't mean it to sound like the Nacra's only travel in a pack, if you were looking at a spinnaker boat the F18's have all sorts of brands but the Nacra's have their own series which is totalled on all the regattas you go to, so for instance when you go to the Lake Coothabara race the Nacra's share the start line and  race with all the brands but they also run a seperate series score to encourage  Nacra people to travel. Whatever boat you turn up on your warmly welcomed at any regatta. The difference is the Nacra's also run a Nacra National championship competition and only Nacra's of all sizes go to that week, last Nationals was about 70 boats. If your not looking at spinnaker then there are a stack of options but none better than the Nacra 5.8 bwahaaaaaaaaaa

The F18 fleet is very strong in Australia and growing further.  Potential Worlds coming up as well in about 2021 with the likely venue in Victoria (Geelong is a possibility).  Last Nationals in Victoria saw 45 F18s of very high calibre.  Note, off  the 62 Nacra at their Nationals, only 16 were F18's and very few of them, if any attended the F18 Nationals after their Nationals.  Likewise with Hobie. 

The best F18 fleet getting around Victoria at the moment would have to be Port Melbourne followed closely by Frankston.

NSW are also a very strong F18 Fleet with the Kurnell Catamaran Club being the best NSW have to offer.  NSW also have an F18 travellers series.

The C2 is very popular in AUS and a great all round package.  The Windrush Edge is growing in popularity and is equally as good.  A few Exploders are now hitting our shores with Stevie Brewin being the AUS agent, racing one with his step daughter at Kurnell, when he isn't racing A's.

WA also have great fleets however they travel very long distance when racing on the East coast.  Also a VERY long way from NZ if you fly back and forth. 

Personally, I would look at moving to Sydney and join the F18 fleet at Kurnell. Second option being the F18 Fleet at Port Melbourne.

if you are looking at buying a new boat, I would recommend either the C2, Edge or Exploder.  If you are looking at second hand, the C2 is probably your only option out of the 3 and there is now a good second hand market of them as they have been around a bit here now.

A few people do cruises up the qld coast in beach cats. An old couple I yacht sail with did from mooloolaba to Yeppoon in a nacra 5.0, and there were a couple of crazies that went up to Airlie in a pair of f18's, with a few mods. That looked like an awesome trip. 

Thereare a few problems with long raid races around here: down south there are mostly surf beaches, which are impossible to launch through with any swell running. North of Gladstone there are toothy lizards in any creek or river. A raid race around SEQ, inside moreton, would be awesome. 

Cairns and FNQ has a very strong Cat fleet, sail all year round, mainly F18 Nacras are the strongest fleet but A-class are coming along and there a quite a few arrow cats getting around. Several regattas all year round.

But check first, I've only ever seen one cat race out of Ellis Beach over four years in FNQ.  Lake Tinaroo is also subject to low levels a lot of the time at the moment due to drought conditions.  Port Douglas SC has some small Nacras that you can hire but again I've never seen one out.

Also depends on your tolerance to sailing with crocs, sharks and stingers!

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, BboySlug said:

you are wrong about wetas, they are a shitload of fun

23 minutes ago, rodlaser said:

Agreed they look like a fun boat when the wind is up, but the simple fact is they are slower than a basic beach cat (H14, Maricat, H16 etc) and most of us sail to go fast so.......

3 hours ago, rodlaser said:

Most of us have sailed with or on Weta's and have a good idea

10 hours ago, dave202 said:

Agreed they look like a fun boat when the wind is up, but the simple fact is they are slower than a basic beach cat (H14, Maricat, H16 etc) and most of us sail to go fast so.......

And people who sail F18s and Foiling cats would call an H16 the equivalent speed of a mooring bouy. I wonder what that says about the Wetas!?!?!

On 11/7/2017 at 1:09 PM, SCARECROW said:

True but ask the people there and most will claim they don’t live in Sydney.  It’s a long commute for a sail from most of Sydney to Kurnell 

Really...?   The birth place of Australia is within an hour of everywhere  .... Great waterway with good consistent breeze. Lots of rigging space and very friendly people.... The Sydney Olympics should have been sailed there....

16 hours ago, rodlaser said:

Compared with what? A Laser, maybe, but not compared with almost every beach cat being discussed

9 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

Compared with what? A Laser, maybe, but not compared with almost every beach cat being discussed

apparently ys for the newly released stiffer lighter fibre foam weta with new larger square head main will be set to 88 not bad for a 14 footer and

can race with more than 1 person mr A Class.

On 19/11/2017 at 6:09 PM, dave202 said:

Age will catch up with you. ........or drugs  ......sorry I meant a class

On 20/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, monomuncher said:

apparently ys for the newly released stiffer lighter fibre foam weta with new larger square head main will be set to 88 not bad for a 14 footer and

Haha we've heard the Weta handicap stuff all before, I'm not going to wreck a good thread by discussing it here, I'll post in the Weta threads when I get some time

So I've made it a new year's resolution to take a trip to Brisbane/Gold Coast at some point to check out the cities. If I can travel with someone to a regatta while I'm there would be nice. It would help me check out the catamaran scene. Anything on the yearly regatta schedule which you guys think I should base my trip around? Anybody want crew? I'm a pretty good Hobie 16 sailor (since I own one), but have done heaps of F18 crewing. Never foiled though. Still, all beach cats are similar. :) 

Even if I can't crew at it, would be nice to help with race committee or whatevs. 

33 minutes ago, BboySlug said:

So I've made it a new year's resolution to take a trip to Brisbane/Gold Coast at some point to check out the cities. If I can travel with someone to a regatta while I'm there would be nice. It would help me check out the catamaran scene. Anything on the yearly regatta schedule which you guys think I should base my trip around? Anybody want crew? I'm a pretty good Hobie 16 sailor (since I own one), but have done heaps of F18 crewing. Never foiled though. Still, all beach cats are similar. :) 

Even if I can't crew at it, would be nice to help with race committee or whatevs. 

Regatta's I'll be attending on my Hobie 16 (sorry already have a permanent crew....)

Southport Yacht Clubs Cat Weekend 3-4-5 February (Open regatta, usually some F18, Nacra 5.8 and 4.5s, A Class, Hobie 16s)

Big River Sailing Club Annual Regatta 10-11 March (about 3 hours south of Brissy.  Mixed bag of cats.  Landy sails his A Class here)

Queensland Hobie State Titles Easter Long Weekend (Held at Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron this year.  H14, H16 and Tiger/Wildcats)

Cleveland Yacht Clubs Peel Island Marathon 22 April (One day Marathon race around Moreton Bay)

Not sure what else is on.

South East Queensland Hobie Sailing sails most weekends on Moreton Bay, Im sure we can get you a ride on a nice 16 or 18 (wont be racing "officially" but its a lot of fun regardless)

Is the QLD hobie state titles all 4 days of the easter long weekend? 

2 hours ago, BboySlug said:

Is the QLD hobie state titles all 4 days of the easter long weekend? 

Racing Friday, Saturday, Sunday.  Recovering Monday.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:28 PM, monomuncher said:

YS now set by VYC australian sailing is 86 rating the weta ahead of the Nacra 430 rocket super sloop spinaker trapeze.

Why is it that a thread on beach cat racing would turn into a weta-bash? What is it about sailor-egos that get blokes together on social stuff and make fun of "wittas"?  Much from guys happy to throw dollars down the drainhole at the "fastest" cat on the water that they cannot sail, so they can sell it at a monumental loss before buying next year's trend?

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh! You woke me up!

For anyone with an open mind, my take on the Weta I have had the pleasure of sailing for a year now:

They are a great boat to single hand or double in rough bay conditions without the risk of sailing with a trapeze if you are heading a long way out in company of no other boats. The boat even came with a functional safety harness and tether to stay attached in the event of shit getting real.

They have a lovely little footprint that lets them squeeze into a shed that a small car will not fit in, or under a small tree with a cover on. Big difference to my old Nacra 5 with mast that stretched things a lot at home.

Although upwind in chop is a challenge they have a good turn of speed and are so frikking wet you feel like you are always in blast mode. I have hit plenty of 20's by gps, and they are pretty scary I have to admit. Nicest part is using the gennaker in 8 knots and sailing fairly high, planing and laughing all the way around the paddock.

Plenty of dry storage space for lunch/vhf radio/ phone and if you are really keen, gear for a very basic overnight.

Compared to a beach cat, the ability to come in off the nets and bend feet down into a cockpit is much more comfortable than sitting on tramps for an all day sail in light winds, especially for my occasional crew/wife. The beachcat was awful for those days but that might just be me.

The racing in OD fleets is simply awesome after too many years trying to get OMR ratings and PHCF to be functional, and the guys in the fleets travel extensively because the boat is so easy to haul.

And as for speed, I can windsurf past all the exotics named here on most days, get your sea-hugger out for the challenge WnW, a carton of your favourite is on the bar ready.

It could just be an age thing, but this little marvel has helped my bigger trailable tri start to grow mould, and trimmed my abs down at the same time. Maybe I should look at putting the Weta across the back on davits.

Cigarette?

26 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Why is it that a thread on beach cat racing would turn into a weta-bash? What is it about sailor-egos that get blokes together on social stuff and make fun of "wittas"?  Much from guys happy to throw dollars down the drainhole at the "fastest" cat on the water that they cannot sail, so they can sell it at a monumental loss before buying next year's trend?

For anyone with an open mind, my take on the Weta I have had the pleasure of sailing for a year now:

They are a great boat to single hand or double in rough bay conditions without the risk of sailing with a trapeze if you are heading a long way out in company of no other boats. The boat even came with a functional safety harness and tether to stay attached in the event of shit getting real.

They have a lovely little footprint that lets them squeeze into a shed that a small car will not fit in, or under a small tree with a cover on. Big difference to my old Nacra 5 with mast that stretched things a lot at home.

Although upwind in chop is a challenge they have a good turn of speed and are so frikking wet you feel like you are always in blast mode. I have hit plenty of 20's by gps, and they are pretty scary I have to admit. Nicest part is using the gennaker in 8 knots and sailing fairly high, planing and laughing all the way around the paddock.

Plenty of dry storage space for lunch/vhf radio/ phone and if you are really keen, gear for a very basic overnight.

Compared to a beach cat, the ability to come in off the nets and bend feet down into a cockpit is much more comfortable than sitting on tramps for an all day sail in light winds, especially for my occasional crew/wife. The beachcat was awful for those days but that might just be me.

The racing in OD fleets is simply awesome after too many years trying to get OMR ratings and PHCF to be functional, and the guys in the fleets travel extensively because the boat is so easy to haul.

And as for speed, I can windsurf past all the exotics named here on most days, get your sea-hugger out for the challenge WnW, a carton of your favourite is on the bar ready.

It could just be an age thing, but this little marvel has helped my bigger trailable tri start to grow mould, and trimmed my abs down at the same time. Maybe I should look at putting the Weta across the back on davits.

Cigarette?

Very funny Plybro but I think your once sharp mind has been dulled by late night poring over draft B2B handicap lists. And does your wife object to being described as occasional?

6 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Cigarette?

Thanks for the positive update on the Weta, plywoodboy. I am in the situation of owning an older development class otbc that has depreciated a lot even though it is still the best yacht I have ever sailed. Just where I live there in no one else to sail against with the same level of boat and with the demise of the local YC no good venue to sail from, I prefer the sea. The Weta makes a lot of sense or maybe the bigger brother the Pulse but I would like something that at least someone else would have locally so we can race, develop skills etc. For now I am getting my kicks from kite boarding, who knows what is in the future.

Thanks Crazy, you would suffer some of the same dilemma as me. Sailboards and kites are so frikking fast yet you can't do them all the time, and you can't do them as far offshore when you hit sixty (years not knots). Still an awesome ride and at last count I have 4 boards downstairs and more sails and masts than some shops.

PM me and come to a brisvegas northside weta ride anytime. Pulses are very tempting if they had a reality price. Astus and others that size look pretty cool also, and if I had worked longer it would be easy to have a Diam in the paddock. But whoops, that was the dumbstick, can't singlehand the Diam. In fact the guys who double handed the winning boat in the surf to city race are still in traction. Wazza? Jacko?

PH

39 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Pulses are very tempting if they had a reality price.

There are 2 x Pulse for sail in OZ at the moment for $39k.  I am sure if you called the seller, they may negotiate.

Will get organised to try one this year, the boats at RQ need some loving.

Is the Swan River in Perth more an estuary or a river? Wondering if you guys who sail there wash your boats down after a sail or not to get the salt off. 

If you haven't seen Jervois Bay just out of Fremantle WA you should have a look at it, we did the Nacra National titles there a couple of months ago and I would rate it highly. The prevailing wind seems to come over the spit it is on, so launching and retrieving the boat was done in pretty calm wind and water, then we sailed out to the wind line for some fun, we couldn't fault the place.

In reply to plywood boy I would say the Wetas are reaping what they sewed, the Wetas pretty much trashed every cat thread for a while and the person that started this thread has said he doesn't want one, that should be enough for the Weta people to start their own threads on Wetas, if you want me to discuss my experience on Wetas and rehash old discussions just invite me onto the Weta threads and we can relive old times

On 2 March 2018 at 6:58 AM, BboySlug said:

Is the Swan River in Perth more an estuary or a river? Wondering if you guys who sail there wash your boats down after a sail or not to get the salt off. 

The Swan is salty

On ‎1‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, plywoodboy said:

Cigarette?

Do they have a built in esky and cup holders?

How's the scene in Newcastle? 

I've heard there are lots of F18s in NSW, but I don't know where they are. 

On 4/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, BboySlug said:

How's the scene in Newcastle? 

I've heard there are lots of F18s in NSW, but I don't know where they are. 

Cat sailing in Aus doesn't seem overly well co-ordinated, there seem to be pockets of good, but there doesn't appear to be one calendar to go to, its all a bit fragmented. Lots of classes and clubs use Facebook, which is a bit useless if you have never signed up to that medium.

I was trying to get a handle on regattas for a new cat sailor in NSW, and it is difficult to find the information. A lot of regattas seem to be word of mouth / "oh its the same as last year" / last minute details published. etc, run out of smaller clubs with little or know web presence. 

This is not a criticism, but more of an observation, cat sailing seems to be very grass roots / volunteer run, so its not hard to imagine how / why its like this.

I think the F18s may travel to compete rather than be all at one club? But I can't say with authority.

Cheers