Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

Bad Company

I'm sorry to hear that he's disappointed with the boat. It sure looked good.  I wouldn't give up yet, practice with it and see what can be done.

Maybe going with the bargain basement OneSails might be showing that it wasn't such a smart investment.

Some things aren't even worth free!

One race really doesn't mean much, and hopefully, the Ed doesn't get down on the boat as a result of only one race.  First off, it's a pure displacement boat, unlike his last 2, so that's gonna take some adjustment and getting used to...secondly, everyone has the occasional bad day where they just can't find any speed.  It happens...lastly, I'm betting there's a couple rig and sail trim approach adjustments that will likely "wake the boat up."  Its just gonna take some time and a little perseverance.  I'd bet in a couple months, after a half dozen races or so, Ed will have got it up to speed...

First race in a new boat with all new sails...things will get better and pretty rapidly I'd bet.

Give it some breeze and I'm sure it will sail to its rating. 

oh Jesus. A site started to protest rating whining, with the Ed whining about rating...

17 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/11/05/bad-company/

Scot, you just have to learn to sail real PHRF boats again.
On top of that you have a ULDB Condo........:)

Dawg you just have to learn to post an image again

BADCompany.jpg

Judging by the wake left behind

obviously ANARCHY III slices through the water Much smoother than MENACE XXIV :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

What?  The SC33 isn't a rater beater?  Time to sell!!!

I DFL'd my first race in my Capri 25 and came back to win my club's biggest regatta at the end of the season.  

1 hour ago, A-NU-START said:

Even simpler, get a couple of the legs in boys to swing around. Boom - boatspeed

Also move all that weight out of the ass and get the bow down. Its a ULDB, the bow guys supposed to wear a snorkel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swangtang said:

Also move all that weight out of the ass and get the bow down. Its a ULDB, the bow guys supposed to wear a snorkel. 

Just 1 snapshot but:

Look at Menace:  Weight forward and hiked, twisted main open at the top, main draft at 35%, headstay sag to power up jib,no back stay on, bow down.  Set up for fast forward.  

Look at Anarchy:  Weight aft and not hiked, closed off main, main draft at 40%+, headstay boned on, jib dead flat across the middle, not even skirted, phone pole for a mast, bow up.  Set up for pinching and slow.  

My 2 cents.

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Just 1 snapshot but:

Look at Menace:  Weight forward and hiked, twisted main open at the top, main draft at 35%, headstay sag to power up jib,no back stay on, bow down.  Set up for fast forward.  

Look at Anarchy:  Weight aft and not hiked, closed off main, main draft at 40%+, headstay boned on, jib dead flat across the middle, not even skirted, phone pole for a mast, bow up.  Set up for pinching and slow.  

My 2 cents.

DC could learn allot from Scot :lol:

Wait for the Blooper to arrive  :)

7 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm sorry to hear that he's disappointed with the boat. It sure looked good.  I wouldn't give up yet, practice with it and see what can be done.

There's a reason people weren't clamoring for these when they were new.
Memories of being the big fish in a small pond during the '70s in Oxnard...  rolleyes.gif

4 minutes ago, DSE said:

There's SC33 that does pretty well in most PNW races. Weird hearing that it doesn't sail to its rating.

Sailed by a very smart woman (and, as a special level of intensity, she has her crew jump overboard in their underwear when ever she goes aground.)

14 minutes ago, DSE said:

There's SC33 that does pretty well in most PNW races. Weird hearing that it doesn't sail to its rating.

+1

I was going to say they should bring the Muffin crew down for a weekend to show them how to wind up this toy boat.  They are consistently at or near the top in most races. 

Personally I never cared much for the SC 33.  With a D/L of 146, not truly a ULDB in my books. Always came across to me as a bit of a dog back in the day, but Muffin has proven my thinking wrong on that point.

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Sailed by a very smart woman (and, as a special level of intensity, she has her crew jump overboard in their underwear when ever she goes aground.)

That's one of the yellow SC27s. Yes, a well sailed and dedicated crew.  I remember that race and the speech from the crew afterwards.

36 minutes ago, DSE said:

That's one of the yellow SC27s. Yes, a well sailed and dedicated crew.  I remember that race and the speech from the crew afterwards.

There's a few of those yellow 27s up there. Wild Rumpus is sailed by current National Champion Stephanie Schwenk who is certainly skilled but she doesn't seem like the type to order her crew overboard! I like how Wild Rumpus has more beer-holders than any other boat I've been on!

Wild-Rumpus.jpg

31 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

There's a few of those yellow 27s up there. Wild Rumpus is sailed by current National Champion Stephanie Schwenk who is certainly skilled but she doesn't seem like the type to order her crew overboard! I like how Wild Rumpus has more beer-holders than any other boat I've been on!

We finally got the two liquid filled globe compasses out of the two forward console sides just behind the mast for cup-holders instead, and crew morale has improved immensely!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

The Hot Rums are very difficult to win and some boats will never do well in it. It's the nature of that event. I think the SC will do better in other events.

Isn't it a reverse start too? Not really a real race.

Rumor someone, BN set the ratings/start times for the fleet :)

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Dawg you just have to learn to post an image again

BADCompany.jpg

Judging by the wake left behind

obviously ANARCHY III slices through the water Much smoother than MENACE XXIV :rolleyes:

I may be wrong but I'd haul in the backstay. Draft  too far back results in uneven draft.  I'd say your at 60% of full on trim

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Meat Wad said:

Isn't it a reverse start too? Not really a real race.

hmm let's see...

It's an event where boats go out on a fixed course and are timed and scored. Is it a race?

you tell me...

It's the best event in SD. one of the few regrets that my boat is not in Dago anymore...  

The whole dismissal of staggering starts for disparate boats DOES sort of assume that when they start together that the fleet will remain in equitable conditions for the duration of the course sailed - which,  as we all know isn't the case either - but that never stops someone from putting them down when they have a point-of-view !

Anyone remember 4-5 years ago when the wind was about ZIP yet DC had the Farr 60 heading for the mark to shoot down the channel

When over the Radio came the Call to End the race - So Everyone Could get to the Bar/Party

Boats were moving, albeit slowly, But rewards to those doing better than the others were to be had

NOPE !!  :oB)

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 11:25 AM, Movable Ballast said:

hmm let's see...

It's an event where boats go out on a fixed course and are timed and scored. Is it a race?

you tell me...

It's the best event in SD. one of the few regrets that my boat is not in Dago anymore...  

Sorry, if boats do not start at the same time, it is not a race.

It is a fun event but not a real race.

I'd like to see the Transpac started this way and call it a race.

12 hours ago, Mr Moab said:

Um, Transpac IS a staggered start. Bummer, I guess it is no longer a race. 

The fleets stagger the start but you start with your fleet. That is really your race.
Maybe the Barn Door is not a real race when Fleet starts are days apart?

Well man, it really sucks but it isnt the end of the world. Take the comfort in the fact that there are many people who got ripped off much more than you. :D For example check this thing. It almost seems to be too bad to be possible.

3 hours ago, russ88 said:

Well man, it really sucks but it isnt the end of the world. Take the comfort in the fact that there are many people who got ripped off much more than you. :D For example check this thing. It almost seems to be too bad to be possible.

Old news around here

Same message