Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Yachts

An unusual hitchhiker...

This beautiful bird joined us for a couple of hours rest. We were on a yacht delivery from Barcelona to Nice.

23244229_10155172599397879_2070163421618

Does anyone know what kind of bird it is? 

What's the most unusual hitchhiker you've ever had on your boat? 

Pete

Some sort of Osprey from looking at his feet/claws. Definitely a Fish Eagle because he has two talons aft and two talons fwd which lets him catch and hang on to slippery fish. Most other raptors have one talon aft and three talons forward. 

I it back, I was looking at his right foot and now that I look closer at the other foot I see that he has the three to one configuration. 

Handsome fellow! Don't mess with him though...

My first thought was a Goshawk.

Tawny Eagle perhaps? Their range extends across the Med down into Morocco.

Image result for Tawny eagle

He might be migrating to Africa, though I'd expect to see most birds doing that route close to Gibralter.

1 hour ago, Halcyon Yachts said:

This beautiful bird joined us for a couple of hours rest. We were on a yacht delivery from Barcelona to Nice.

Pete

Golden Eagle.  Hard to tell without a size reference, Goldens are a pretty big bird.

Sure as heck isn't a Peregrine.

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image result for GOSHAWK

The mottled markings look more like this juvenile Northern Goshawk.

This is a mature one

Image result for GOSHAWK

Except the pictured bird is "booted", has feathers down to it's ankles.  If it's not a Golden it's a relative.

Goshawks don't, as your picture shows.

Just now, Dilligaf0220 said:

Except the pictured bird is "booted", has feathers down to it's ankles.  If it's not a Golden it's a relative.

Goshawks don't, as your picture shows.

Well that takes me back to the Tawny Eagle which is booted. Maybe a young Tawny which hasn't lost the dappled patterns yet.

i had  a bat hitchhike from the middle of Block Island Sound  back to the Island this summer.....he was one tired flying rat...didn;t move for about 6 hrs.   finally left in the salt pod at duskbat.thumb.jpg.65a778c06468a4046ffe52ec51aeede3.jpg

I once raised a sail and showered the cockpit (and my head) with tree frogs that had colonized the sail.

That was an upgrade. Once they got in there, the wasps quit colonizing it.

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I once raised a sail and showered the cockpit (and my head) with tree frogs that had colonized the sail.

That was an upgrade. Once they got in there, the wasps quit colonizing it.

The snakes come next. Fair warning.

Not so much a hitch hiker but this guy decided our dinghy was a good place to fish from on Christmas day last year near Fort McRee in Pensacola.

e2 (1).JPG

13 minutes ago, py26129 said:

Not so much a hitch hiker but this guy decided our dinghy was a good place to fish from on Christmas day last year near Fort McRee in Pensacola.

e2 (1).JPG

I've got a gang of those guys (Great Heron) who dispute rights to our dock just west of Ft McCrea. They are very territorial and keep our house cat on alert when he trots down to the beach to take a dump. They wait till he is in the middle of doing his doody and then jump up from behind the sea oats at the waters edge with a loud screech and literally scare the rest of the shit out of the cat. Later he will come back and stalk them. 

Better than the herons that perch on my neighbor's TV antenna. When the wind shifts south it carries their crap over my boat. Imagine a pancake sized splat hitting my teak and canvas. 

That's a fabulous bird, your eagle.

We had a rather less welcome arrival overnight off the Blaskets this summer. A dozen shearwaters and petrels made for our anchor light and settled down for the night. 

Here's a bundle of exhausted shearwaters looking like wet blankets. It wasn't a very nice job waking them up and encouraging them to move on. They really looked on the point of death.

birds-1024x683.jpg

The Heron on the other hand is my spirit bird - ungainly, noisy, a bit of a misfit. 

Here I am confronting my inner self in Amsterdam, where they seem to have become habituated.

IMG_0410-e1510079419336.jpg

We've only had one racing pigeon, a very handsome chap some few years ago. Nice fellow, not very clever. Tried hiding in the fairlead and nearly fell overboard. 

pigeon-aboard-2-1024x685.jpg

Yeah, not a Peregrine.  It looks a lot like the one juvenile I got a good look at, but their boots don't come down to the feet and the mustache isn't visible.  Seems small for an eagle.  How big was it?  Or how wide is that stripe on the boat?

Had some sort of small bird (wren?) land while crossing Gulf of Maine Porstmouth, NH to Lunenberg, NS.

Since we were > 100Miles offshore it was willing to sit and stare at us for a few hours until recovered and then flew off. 

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

Better than the herons that perch on my neighbor's TV antenna. When the wind shifts south it carries their crap over my boat. Imagine a pancake sized splat hitting my teak and canvas. 

I watched one of those flying over some neighbours houses when it took a dump - looked exactly like a water bomber dropping a load. Sure wouldn't want to be under it.

I do believe you got it.

There sure is no mistaking what that critter is built for is there? Looks like the big cat of the sky.

Or  the booted eagle, smallest in Spain.

MH Booted.jpg

Rowed by a bald eagle this morning sitting on the snag 100 meters off our bow.  Local family of 5+ plays on the snags and beaches, terrorizing the ospreys when they fly by with fish.  When you hear an osprey screaming while flying, look for the eagle.  I've seen them steal fish in the air from the osprey three times this year.  Eagles are spectacular flyers when there's fish involved!

Anybody who like eagles should come here to Brackendale (on the way to Whistler) - if you hit the right time of year there are literally thousands of bald eagles in the area. They do a count after Christmas or New Years and the record is near 4000.

Pretty spectacular.

Here is a shot of a "self appointed" crew member supervising me backing out the ferry I when was skipper of the Tom Thumb 111.

He stayed for a while then he got bored and "broke ship".

Cheers,

Jim B)

HP1000302(1).thumb.JPG.b52345ef335c141298eea35b88bb93c0.JPG

6 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Or  the booted eagle, smallest in Spain.

MH Booted.jpg

Rowed by a bald eagle this morning sitting on the snag 100 meters off our bow.  Local family of 5+ plays on the snags and beaches, terrorizing the ospreys when they fly by with fish.  When you hear an osprey screaming while flying, look for the eagle.  I've seen them steal fish in the air from the osprey three times this year.  Eagles are spectacular flyers when there's fish involved!

This is the more likely bet as the Spanish is vulnerable / endangered, and is twice the size of the booted eagle.  I think you got it.

14 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Here I am confronting my inner self in Amsterdam, where they seem to have become habituated.

That can get out of hand. My parents had a neighbor who fed the local heron. The heron got used to that. And if they didn't come up with the food, he'd go in the kitchen looking for it!

On 11/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, Halcyon Yachts said:

Pete

Many raptors migrate between africa and Spain .  Im not good at bird ID...that bird might be a booted eagle . They are fairly common in your region 

a few years ago , south of your  location..mid Sardinian  Sea ..late fall...I had an owl land on the boom and rest for an hour or so.

I fall there are Alway plenty of small stuff coming onboard for a rest .

Definitely a Booted Eagle.  You can just see one of the "landing lights", a pale or white patch at the base of the leading edge of the wing.  In the photo it's at the back of the base of its neck on its right hand side.  The landing lights are much more noticeable when it's flying.  From the darkness of its eye, it's a juvenile which through lack of experience on migration, has become a bit disoriented and thought that landing on a boat next to humans was a better idea than drowning through exhaustion.

21 hours ago, SpongeDeckSquareFoil said:

image.png.d00fdf491cbda147c31b3ee960e10601.pngimage.png.997f226a35272e6701c8d352d7762593.png

Not my boat, but a couple of shots that appeared in SA probably 10 years ago or so. I think it was during a Mac race. Slow, foggy night. Birds just needed a rest.

Pterodactyls!  And they said the dinosaurs were dead!