• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
CenterboardBrake

Huh? New Sunfish Class?

Oh well, out come the stupid videos. End of readable content...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimC said:

it was a good run... we made it almost 6 pages

2 hours ago, JimC said:

Oh you poor little snowflake.

• Like 3

Stay on target guys.  Farzad/LP is looting the store while we argue about the picture on the sign.

Yes, it’s the name of the game for the last 40 years, but this is our game.  And he is wrecking it for profit.

Just some considerations:

When the Class that manages the game played in the 14 foot Alcort boats was formed many different names were used and have since been replaced by names we use today.

The Houston Colt 45s just won the World Series..... I guess Astros hasn’t killed their game 

Stanford’s football team was called the Indians and changedvto Cardinal in 1972

The University of Texas wouldn't let Negroes play football but they recruited black man Earl Campbell and now have many African Americans  on the team

North American Sailors Racing the 14 foot lateen rigged boats had NAYRU which changed its name to Us Sailing... shortly therereafter the Anerica’s Cup was lost 

One Design Yachtsman was the name of the popular sailing rag. It added “and Offshore.” And continued. Then it became Sailing World snd went all to hell 

The 240z was a Datsun. People still buy the numbered vehicle as a Nissan 

Cassius Clay? Walker Smith Jr? Lew Alcindor? Bobby Moore ? The name changes sure didn’t stop them 

( Welcome back from looking up Sugar Ray Leonard) 

Enron Field is now Minute Maid Park

Makarkey has changed his name repeatedly without losing his reputation 

Idlewild and Cape Canaveral seem to have stayed busy 

Backrub wasn’t around yet back then but you could Backrub it’s new name. 

The absolute only part of the Lateen rigged 14 foot boat game that is controlled by LP is the direct result of the association’s self imposed restriction on the equipment supply. 

Guess how the Sailors could remove the control of LP over their favorite game?? 

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, Wess said:

@LaserPerformance - Thank you for your further responses.  I had asked about supply and acknowledge your comment that LP has resolved this. I further acknowledge your important additional comment about going forward commitments to supply in drafted contracts.  But might I dig into this a bit further?  And in so doing let me note that in Annapolis I have never had an issue getting needed parts for any of my LP products, but many others in other geographies indicate they have had supply issue...

* Are you saying LP supply issues around both Laser and Sunfish are fully resolved as of this date?

One of the posters on this board is quite passionate about Laser and single handed dinghy sailing especially in his home state of Texas and specifically near Austin where there are active Laser and Sunfish fleets that he has done much for...  Please excuse a very specific and direct question but...

* Where can I find Sunfish and Laser parts, sails, and boats in the vicinity of Austin Texas, USA?

I realize that is likely a far more specific and detailed question than you might have expected or be able to immediately answer, but providing a response to this would significantly enhance your credibility around the LP comment that supply issue "are resolved."

Thank you for your continued engagement.

Dear Wess,

The LaserPerformance dealer in Austin, Texas, does not inventory Sunfish parts, they can order them for you. We do have two dealers who inventory Sunfish parts, or have Sunfish parts on order. One is outside of Houston, (KO Sailing in Seabrook, Texas) and the other is in Heath, Texas, (Vela Sailing Supply). Your alternative is to order directly from LaserPerformance and we will ship parts directly to you.

LP has resolved most of its supply issues in regards to foils, but we are still in the process of filling back orders. We have plenty of recreational sails in inventory and are working on the race sails – so we will have a good quantity on hand shortly.

We understand the frustration you have with parts supply. We have worked very hard to get back on track. At this point we are in a position to confirm that all outstanding orders from our dealers are subject to a delivery date. Further we can guarantee supply of boats and parts with pre-orders with lead times between 60 and 90 days. You should contact us directly for all such orders for terms and conditions of sale.

It is important to note that these changes in our supply chain have included the rationalization of our suppliers to improve quality and to increase available volume in order not to face the same supply constraints as experienced in the past.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, LaserPerformance said:

Dear Wess,

The LaserPerformance dealer in Austin, Texas, does not inventory Sunfish parts, they can order them for you. We do have two dealers who inventory Sunfish parts, or have Sunfish parts on order. One is outside of Houston, (KO Sailing in Seabrook, Texas) and the other is in Heath, Texas, (Vela Sailing Supply). Your alternative is to order directly from LaserPerformance and we will ship parts directly to you.

LP has resolved most of its supply issues in regards to foils, but we are still in the process of filling back orders. We have plenty of recreational sails in inventory and are working on the race sails – so we will have a good quantity on hand shortly.

We understand the frustration you have with parts supply. We have worked very hard to get back on track. At this point we are in a position to confirm that all outstanding orders from our dealers are subject to a delivery date. Further we can guarantee supply of boats and parts with pre-orders with lead times between 60 and 90 days. You should contact us directly for all such orders for terms and conditions of sale.

It is important to note that these changes in our supply chain have included the rationalization of our suppliers to improve quality and to increase available volume in order not to face the same supply constraints as experienced in the past.

So, I cannot go down to my local dealer and purchase a boat off the showroom floor, I have to order one and wait 60-90 days. Please respond to this question.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

So, I cannot go down to my local dealer and purchase a boat off the showroom floor, I have to order one and wait 60-90 days. Please respond to this question.

The local dealer in Austin has four Sunfish on order. Expected delivery to Austin, Texas, is late January.

• Downvote 4

Commercial posts only allowed for advertisers, LP.  Thanks for playing by the rules and let us know when you want a rate sheet.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, LaserPerformance said:

Dear Wess,

A start but I can't help but notice you didn't respond with regards to Laser. Can you please...

17 minutes ago, Wess said:

A start but I can't help but notice you didn't respond with regards to Laser. Can you please...

Dear Wess, the situation with Laser boats, spares and parts is the same as that of Sunfish. We will provide the same guarantee.

• Downvote 4

27 minutes ago, LaserPerformance said:

Dear Wess, the situation with Laser boats, spares and parts is the same as that of Sunfish. We will provide the same guarantee.

Fair enough.  I suspect there may be some follow up especially from @Gouvernail.  This may be a rowdy bunch - he especially - and we don't always or even often agree but he has done tons for small boat dinghy sailing down there (and more broadly).  They need boats and parts to keep fleets sailing.  So I suspect he may want to follow-up your post with the reality on the ground from an LP customer perspective. 

Or he may want to rant... it is SA afterall!

4 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

4 hours ago, LaserPerformance said:

The local dealer in Austin has four Sunfish on order. Expected delivery to Austin, Texas, is late January.

I am in Florida.

@LaserPerformance

Customers do not wish to wait two or three months for replacement parts. People  who want to play in May certainly do not wish to wait for August delivery.  Certainly competitors will see this market and consider jumping in. 

The people who like to play on sailing toys will certainly gravitate to toys that are available for immediate purchase.

For the last fifty years, those who have wished to play on small dinghies have walked into stores to look at merchandise  or ordered from catalog suppliers who shipped that same day. 

Sunfish, Laser, and Hobie dealers virtually all have kept boats on hand and supplies of every sail, fitting, line, spar, blade. They have stocked books about the boats, bumper stickers, and even logo bearing clothing. Most dealers also have stocked extra goodies and upgrades like gear boxes, dollies, roof racks, covers, gelcoats, life jackets, foul weather gear, hiking pants, hats, wind indicators, compasses, sailing watches, tell tales, .... and on and on. Dealers count on sales of impulse buy items to pay their overhead. The franchise for selling  official gear for Lasers, Sunfish, and Hobies has been a guaranteed cash cow dealer business survival tool for decades. 

Companies like Amazon and their competitors are all delivering within a day or two. 

LP abandoned its dealers years ago and now is “guaranteeing” delivery fall deliveries for summer orders. 

Good luck with your when we get around to it if we feel like it for a higher price than our competitors business model. 

It shall be interesting to see if anyone decides to supply the Dinghy sailing market you abandoned. 

• Like 4

The replies are so robotic, either corporate BS or a troll from a non-English speaking country. Do they not know that there are dealers and customers all over the US, not just the Houston area?

24 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

The replies are so robotic, either corporate BS or a troll from a non-English speaking country. Do they not know that there are dealers and customers all over the US, not just the Houston area?

someone had asked about Austin specifically so they were answering to that particular region

Well, at least we've learned that if you live near Houston you might be able to buy a Sunfish or parts in about 2 months or so. Maybe that McLaren money would be better spent improving distribution rather than starting an unnecessary rival Class organization. 

@LaserPerformance thanks for your responses so far!

Is the supply chain getting sorted out in the next 30-90d so after that point boats and parts will be generally in stock and shipping promptly? Or is this going to be "the new normal" for your channel?

(I do understand this is far from trivial. Still, it's a key part of a viable class and market...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dgmckim said:

someone had asked about Austin specifically so they were answering to that particular region

I understand, but they have to be cognizant that there are other areas of the US that need to have service. Still, the answers are robotic.

Having boats available in the showroom helps a lot with selling them. For instance, APS (Annapolis) used to have a few Lasers and Sunfishes sitting on a rack in their lot. Just looking at them made me salivate, and I might have bought one with some persuasion (and a full wallet). But the last few years, I haven't seen any LP boats on their lot while I was there. Did LP miss taking salesmanship 101?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, LaserPerformance said:

Had the President of ISCA provided you with the complete document you would understand World Sailing's position in regard to the relationship between LP and ISCA. We suggest you request a full copy of the letter from Larry Mass, the President of ISCA.

Why don't you post it here?  Clearly you have a copy.

• Like 1

I see that ISCO are reviving the two day distance sail and camp event on the Connecticut River. Apparently they really do plan to run some regattas.

Just posted on the Sunfish page on Facebook.

25075060_1722448487829718_72943487751978

Rig your Sunfish, pack your sleeping bags, and grab a friend!! We are excited to announce the Sunfish Adventure Raid!! After hearing from the sailors, ISCO has revived the format of the Sunfish Adventure Classic as their first regatta in what is to become an annual roaming event for the Sunfish fleet to take any shore. On the weekend of June 2nd, join the sponsors, LaserPerformance and Maclaren, in Hartford for a two-day distance sail down the Connecticut River to Essex. Saturday night will be capped off with a regatta campout in Hurd State Park with an event barbeque provided by LaserPerformance and Sunday after racing, awards and a post-race party for sailors and friends! Stay tuned for more information and registration!!

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

I see that ISCO are reviving the two day distance sail and camp event on the Connecticut River. Apparently they really do plan to run some regattas.

Just posted on the Sunfish page on Facebook.

25075060_1722448487829718_72943487751978

That would sound like a fun event.  However I would not participate on principle, not wanting to support a #fakeclass.

1 hour ago, torrid said:

That would sound like a fun event.  However I would not participate on principle, not wanting to support a #fakeclass.

I understand. But I suspect that ISCO is aiming this event at the vast majority of Sunfish sailors who are not part of the ISCA racing scene. Offering an adventure like this to recreational sailors is a smart move.

1 hour ago, Firefly-DC said:

you could do this one instead. already established and plenty of sunfish

https://www.facebook.com/ConnecticutRiverDinghyDistanceRace/

Indeed you could.  I believe that the one day Connecticut River Dinghy Distance Race was originally conceived and promoted here on Dinghy Anarchy as a a "resurrection" of the old Sunfish classic in a different format - a one day race for multiple dinghy classics on part of the course of the old two day distance race. 

I believe the one day race is normally held in May so the events won't clash. There is talk in the local RS Aero Class about some of us entering the Connecticut River Dinghy Distance Race in 2018.

For the record, the 2017 Connecticut River Dinghy Distance Race event was blown out. In 2016 there were only three Sunfish entered. Two failed to finish in the time limit but the other one, sailed my Marta Chlus, did win Portsmouth Division 2. Sounds as if the ISCA sailors in New England don't have a lot of interest in this regatta - or maybe it clashed with one of their other regattas in 2016.

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

It can be a little chilly in early may in New England in a river fed by mountain snow runoff. for that reason the June date might be more popular.

32 minutes ago, Firefly-DC said:

It can be a little chilly in early may in New England in a river fed by mountain snow runoff. for that reason the June date might be more popular.

After racing Lasers or RS Aeros all winter in New England, a cruise down the Connecticut River in May will feel positively balmy.