• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
LB 15

Rushour on its roof.

This afternoon at Wags at RQYS. All crew safe and well. Bad luck for Drew and the team.

image.thumb.png.83c9bbde6e8f8ec892ee89a8390fc4d6.png

Superb example of why inshore multihulls shouldn't sail offshore.

The closer they stay to outside assistance  the better the outcome.

Yet the custodians of the  OMR encourages this style of boat.

Clowns?.

• Downvote 7

6 minutes ago, overlay said:

Clowns?.

Do us a favour , give yourself a fuckin uppercut .

• Like 5

1 hour ago, overlay said:

Clowns?.

That photo looks way safer than the keels falling off monos, at least the crew have something to hold onto as opposed to boat and crew heading straight for the bottom, I do know how fast a mono sinks I was on one that went under in under a minute a couple of years ago, inshore though so I was able to stand on top of it, maybe OMR should consider that

8 hours ago, overlay said:

Clowns?.

Offshore? Its about 4 meters deep and some guy was posting photos that he took from the shore

Seeing we are posting Wednesday Arvo pics. Heres one from a little  further south several weeks back.

Click image for larger version  Name: snowgoose2.jpg Views: 261 Size: 141.6 KB ID: 156040  

Gotta love the shallow water.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Upright now with mast intact. All ok.

Great news. 

Bummer, but maybe not too much damage to mast head and not too much water ingress and good all well of course. 

Always interested in how the rerighting was managed and lessons learnt. Especially on a bigger boat such as this. And in shallow water. 

I still wonder if a small aero capsule (maybe the size of those Hobie mast head ones) with a gas cartridge inflated bag and inclination switch set at say 100* would be feasible and inexpensive insurance against inversion. Should stop the mast head digging in, hopefully keep most water out of the hull and motor and make reeighting easier. A con is the boat would blow away downhill faster. Maybe carefully deploy the anchor if that’s an issue. 

My theory is that on average Murphy gets his way once every 1000 hours of Boat’n. The little fucker. Some people more or less than others. 

So if you do lots of Boat’n it (unspecified stuff up) will happen from time to time, if you don’t do much Boat’n then you can probably say “Hey, I never have fuck ups because I’m shit hot at boat’n“ or if you don’t own a boat you can just slink away from the steaming pile of Murphy pooh and leave it up to the owner to take the rap.  

SB. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, overlay said:

Clowns?.

You are having a go right?

That's not actually a serious post....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, overlay said:

Seeing we are posting Wednesday Arvo pics. Heres one from a little  further south several weeks back.

Click image for larger version  Name: snowgoose2.jpg Views: 261 Size: 141.6 KB ID: 156040  

Gotta love the shallow water.

This boat is upright and back at it as well.... Damaged but not badly

Hope Drew sorts Rushour out quickly... great boat

• Like 1

Brief report for the benefit of others.

forecast was for 20kn se wind.

We set the boat up with one reef and self tacking heady.

THIS CONFIGURATION IS VERY MANAGEABLE IN 20KN.

We started sailing to windward with the intention of building speed then bearing away to go downwind.

Main traveller was fully down and a crew member was holding the main sheet.

Speed built very quickly as we got hit by a big gust (40 kn) hull started to come up, main was completely dumped but hull kept climbing.

I (helm) turned up to feather the sails but response was slow because all drive was coming from the heady and the bows were pressed.

Boat capsized sideways.

Whole thing took maybe 5 seconds.

• Mistakes: Bloody B&G wind instruments were not working so no appreciation of building breeze. (Rushour commonly does 20kn on a shy reach so 30kn of wind across the boat seems normal.)
  • We never normally hold the jib sheet. (obviously a mistake)
  • We were rushed with some inexperienced crew and I  never allocated roles.
  • I was complacent. I  never even come close to even flying the hull high on the new Rushour.
  • The gust of wind combined with boat speed gave approx 55 kn over the deck which was obviously enough to capsize a 7 ton boat.
  • The wing mast may have contributed to the capsize.

lucky we were only in 4 m of water and Rushour has a very strong wing mast so we were able to attach ropes to the high hull and tow her around so the bows were pointing into the wind and towed her over.

The bottom hull was flooded and that helped to right the boat.

You need a very big tow boat to pull a big cat over. We used a commercial cat Cat of Nine Tails to pull her up.

We had her upright about 2 to 3 hours after capsize.

I would not want to go through that in the open ocean.

A huge thank you to all the people who rallied around and helped right, retrieve, clean  the boat, and for all the messages. 

It makes you realise how good it is to belong to a strong sailing community.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bushsailor said:

we got hit by a big gust (40 kn)

2 hours ago, bushsailor said:
  •  Bloody B&G wind instruments were not working

Nice guess..

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, overlay said:

Nice guess..

Ahhhh, there were plenty of other boats on the water who came back and said how windy it was.  

On 11/8/2017 at 4:50 PM, LionIsland said:

I still wonder if a small aero capsule (maybe the size of those Hobie mast head ones) with a gas cartridge inflated bag and inclination switch set at say 100* would be feasible and inexpensive insurance against inversion. Should stop the mast head digging in, hopefully keep most water out of the hull and motor and make reeighting easier. A con is the boat would blow away downhill faster. Maybe carefully deploy the anchor if that’s an issue. 

This new boat has exactly that system.  Unfortunately when the mast came down last month, it didn't work because the angle sensor is in the boat, not the rig!

http://dnaperformancesailing.com/our-boats/dna-tf10-foiling-trimaran/

Thank you for telling the tale and how you righted her, all useful.

Glad all is well

On 11/8/2017 at 7:11 AM, madboutcats said:

That photo looks way safer than the keels falling off monos, at least the crew have something to hold onto as opposed to boat and crew heading straight for the bottom, I do know how fast a mono sinks I was on one that went under in under a minute a couple of years ago, inshore though so I was able to stand on top of it, maybe OMR should consider that

Do tell more.

What a joke, a crewed boat falling over in 20kts. That folks is why cruising cats are usually fat slugs. As for the 40kt "gust", my experience indicates that 20kts (which is fresh) and gusty does not include 40kts. That would be a front or a squall coming through.

I call bullshit on the excuses.

• Downvote 3

Glad everyone is safe and you were able to recover the boat.  Bottom line is this is why I'll never own a big cat for serious voyaging.  I'd rather get rolled, maybe lose the mast, then limp home than float around with no hope of recovery in some remote place.  Sure, the cat won't sink but just how inhabitable is an upside down boat?  And you have to wait for rescue since you're never going to sail it anywhere.  Seems to me every reasonable consideration was taken and still....

Gutterback, no way is that boat going over in 20kts and as for 40kt gusts they are not as rare as you might think, I have seen a beachcat blown over on the water and then flipped completely over mast end down so I'm talking the hulls 9metres in the air, I've sailed in 30kt gusts safely, I've also been on the water on a fairly benign day and been hit by a little whirly whirly that was sucking water it totally smashed us over, while all the other boats just sat and watched. As for the mono a couple of years ago when I was setting up for a distance race to be held the next day I was asked to crew on a mono about 25ft long they said I could wear my normal clothes drink beer etc so I agreed, well the skipper turned the wrong way under spin, I let the spin sheet go but he kept rounding up in the gust until the gunnel went under, then I was pinned in place until the boat filled, after that the fun started. I learned that on a cat when you put a hull under your having fun but on a mono when you put a hull under your committed.

Thanks for the writeup.  What's the relative size of the self tacking jib vs single reef main?  I guess the protocol on holding sheets should be dependent on that?

11 hours ago, bushsailor said:

THIS CONFIGURATION IS VERY MANAGEABLE IN 20KN.  Apparently not in a gusty 20 or a building 20

We started sailing to windward with the intention of building speed then bearing away to go downwind. Dont get part this sorry

Speed built very quickly as we got hit by a big gust (40 kn) hull started to come up, main was completely dumped but hull kept climbing. 

I (helm) turned up to feather the sails but response was slow because all drive was coming from the heady and the bows were pressed. Why not bear away or was it too late?

Whole thing took maybe 5 seconds. Sounds like you were not fully prepared for the conditions- we've all been there btw but the margin for error here is razor thin.

• Mistakes: Bloody B&G wind instruments were not working so no appreciation of building breeze. (Rushour commonly does 20kn on a shy reach so 30kn of wind across the boat seems normal.) The instruments tell you the breeze after it hits, this sounds like poor seamanship not looking at the puffs coming and my only criticism given the type of boat.
  • We were rushed with some inexperienced crew and I  never allocated roles. We've all been there
  • I was complacent. I  never even come close to even flying the hull high on the new Rushour. Blame the designers 
  • The gust of wind combined with boat speed gave approx 55 kn over the deck which was obviously enough to capsize a 7 ton boat.

I would not want to go through that in the open ocean. No one would, this boat is not suitable for that kind of work unless fully crewed by competent sailors.

A huge thank you to all the people who rallied around and helped right, retrieve, clean  the boat, and for all the messages. 

It makes you realise how good it is to belong to a strong sailing community. Too bloody right

Most capsizes are human error (typically inattention) - sounds like this one was too.  My read of most of the lessons is they're consistent with human error:

• Loss of situational awareness (broken B&G instruments probably contributed, but certainly still possible to keep track of wind evolution by eye alone)
  • Lack of readiness (not holding jib sheet, particularly given the main track was already fully down)
  • Lack of anticipation (pushing too far given inexperienced crew)
  • Complacency driving all of the above

This has very little to do with the boat -- sounds like a very sweet ride.  People capsize fat cruising cats, run monos aground, etc.  Good on this crew for racing something fast and fun!  Just need to be more careful next time...

I grew up sailing and racing Top Gun aka Atmoshere/eDoc (50 x 30ft Crowther cat, 4.5 tons with big rig) -- neither the previous owner nor my father ever capsized, in over 20 years of inshore and offshore racing. I don't think ever even came close.  But we kept hands on jib sheet with the sheet not left in the winch jaws so we could do an immediate ease any time AWS hit 30-35 kts upwind (and also had hand near mainsheet, but that was our #2 escape valve) -- at those AWS the boat was very quick to lift a hull, so about 25kt TWS.  All it took would be 5kt+ gust to about 30-35kts to capsize under full main.  Certainly don't need any where near 40kts to flip on most cats in my opinion, though it depends on righting moment and rig size of each cat.  Then the subsequent owner went racing inshore with family and no hands on jib, and capsized, similar scenario to Rushour, similar human error. (full story here)

All good, no injuries, get the boat back up, and learn the limits for next time you go sailing! (and everyone else who pays attention gets good learnings out of it too)

The main lesson is if you race a powered-up racing (or even cruiser-racing) cat in 20-25kts+, assume it will capsize (it wants to!  Come on, one buys that kind of boat precisely for the horsepower) -- the skipper and the crew are the only ones standing between upside-up and upside-down.  Stressful, yes.  Fun, absolutely.  Worth it, 100%.  But it suits a different kind of sailor than the 5ktsb crowd.

• Like 1

Turning up to feather the sails might have been a mistake.  The turning moment would add to the capsize force.  Turning a multihull downwind can be better because the turning moment is the opposite way, and the apparent goes down quickly.  I don't want to start the whole line of death thing though.

I guess it’s a bit like having a low powered motorbike and a 200 hp weapon. You can wind that throttle on hard without too much threat of losing control if there’s not much power but a little whoopsy on the powerful bike can end in tears.  

Anyone can get powerful cars, boats or bikes but on the powerful one things can go pear shaped really really fast.

Rushhour is a racing weapon (with a cabin and not a production cruising cat or even close to that so comparisons are ridiculous but, yes, it obviously can be safely cruised, of course) and in anything over 20 knots can bite the hands that feed her. Such is the nature of a big comfortable albeit powerful boat designed to race well and go fast 

The owner is a great racer and has proven that and racing by its nature has its risks. Racing or practice accidents can and normally benifit everyone as lessons and systems are developed that can help everyone.  

For mine a boat that can steer well (I won’t mention my previous tri and her woeful steering and that of her sister ships) plus a clear picture of “are we gonna dump jib and head up or keep gear on and bear away if we get overwhelmed.” is vital.

In big breeze being overcanvassed upwind is normally manageable , over canvassed downwind is normally manageable, pulling away around a top mark or reaching is when my sphincter tightens.

To me this is a reminder to go out and practice, have clear communication, good systems and experienced sailors on board, some luck and to remember that sheep stations are overrated.

Great fun and that feeling one gets flying along in a multi can’t be beaten but with rewards are risk. 

But don’t start trying to tell me monos are safer. That’s an unwinnable argument.  

2 hours ago, elorimer said:

Turning up to feather the sails might have been a mistake.  The turning moment would add to the capsize force.  Turning a multihull downwind can be better because the turning moment is the opposite way, and the apparent goes down quickly.  I don't want to start the whole line of death thing though.

I'm not sure how much my experience applies to big cats, but on wombat moth skiffs (1984 with the rounded chines) unexpected gusts or lulls were dealt with by pointing down (too much wind) or pointing up (too little) to avoid catastrophe (in addition to sail trim). The inertia in the mast , person & sail helped balance the boat as there was little weight in the hull and single crew out on the wing.

5 hours ago, LionIsland said:

I guess it’s a bit like having a low powered motorbike and a 200 hp weapon. You can wind that throttle on hard without too much threat of losing control if there’s not much power but a little whoopsy on the powerful bike can end in tears.  

Anyone can get powerful cars, boats or bikes but on the powerful one things can go pear shaped really really fast.

Rushhour is a racing weapon (with a cabin and not a production cruising cat or even close to that so comparisons are ridiculous but, yes, it obviously can be safely cruised, of course) and in anything over 20 knots can bite the hands that feed her. Such is the nature of a big comfortable albeit powerful boat designed to race well and go fast 

The owner is a great racer and has proven that and racing by its nature has its risks. Racing or practice accidents can and normally benifit everyone as lessons and systems are developed that can help everyone.  

For mine a boat that can steer well (I won’t mention my previous tri and her woeful steering and that of her sister ships) plus a clear picture of “are we gonna dump jib and head up or keep gear on and bear away if we get overwhelmed.” is vital.

In big breeze being overcanvassed upwind is normally manageable , over canvassed downwind is normally manageable, pulling away around a top mark or reaching is when my sphincter tightens.

To me this is a reminder to go out and practice, have clear communication, good systems and experienced sailors on board, some luck and to remember that sheep stations are overrated.

Great fun and that feeling one gets flying along in a multi can’t be beaten but with rewards are risk. 

But don’t start trying to tell me monos are safer. That’s an unwinnable argument.  

Mono vs multi is a massive yawn as there are so many factors involved in safety, I have no preference for either but sail a mono because I like close one design racing which is hard to get in multis that also cruise. Biggest thrill I ever had in sailing was taking  a B class  3 up with two of us on the wire in a 30kt easterly blasting up Auckland harbour but thats no guts no glory stuff for teenagers. It is a cause for concern when an experienced owner/skipper can get it so wrong so quickly. A 40kt gust on a mono can wreak carnage as well but generally they are much more forgiving. The multi fanboys get boring fast with their selective interpretation of facts but the skipper here has dropped his pants on SA for all world to see so he is inviting feedback, I am sure he may not agree with some of the opinions but he didnt come here for a reach around.

I don't accept that large 7 ton cruiser racers falling over is normal in gusty conditions, that is a design error and if not, then it should be sailed where help is not too far away

21 hours ago, bushsailor said:

We started sailing to windward with the intention of building speed then bearing away to go downwind.

I (helm) turned up to feather the sails but response was slow because all drive was coming from the heady and the bows were pressed.

Boat capsized sideways.

• I was complacent. I  never even come close to even flying the hull high on the new Rushour.

Look for gusts before bearing away, if a big gust is about to hit bear away before it hits or wait for it to hit before bearing away you don't want to get caught by huge gust just as you start  bearing away.

You tried to go up with main dumped and headsail on, if deciding to go up headsail should be dumped while keeping a little bit of main on so mainsail can drive bows up, the response was slow because the headsail was  pushing the bow away while rudders were trying to push it up, that said the jib sheet should have been thrown.

With the bear away when overpowered dumping the main is fine but keep some jib on to help pull the bows away, if you were bearing away the crew should have had jib in hand and easing it as you bear away to keep some sail on .

The sails can be very effective in helping turn the boat or done wrong they can make turning very difficult.

In conditions where hull flying could be likely the sheets should always be in someones hand, if you have to tell them what to do it's too late, the crew should also be watching if you're going up or down and using the sails to help you turn.

Nice looking cat who designed it?

Moh go back to trolling gun threads.  The people driving that boat are about 5000 times more competent than you could pretend to be.

All the armchair admirals are out making fools of themselves, you are the best example, oh, then there is gutter, the leader of the pack.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Does make me wonder  though, if I had to be 5000 times more competent than your average punter and had a shit hot cat and it still fell over what fucking hope is there for the fanboys like you?

Some people go sailing, others like you... talk about it on the interweb.

The owner has the grace to post an honest review of what happened, but clowns in their armchairs find that not enough and use the mishap as fodder for their own egos.

6 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Does make me wonder  though, if I had to be 5000 times more competent than your average punter and had a shit hot cat and it still fell over what fucking hope is there for the fanboys like you?

Even F1 drivers get in car accidents on city streets.

Close hauled, you can't bear away in a puff. She'll be on her side before you get half way through the turn. You have to come up. Also, it is pretty standard on the wind to set the jib  and sail to it, playing the main for speed and balance, in that order. If you're lucky someone might dump the jib, but even if they're holding it helm is who knows shit is going sideways, and by the time they get someone  to do something it is already  over. It happens that fast. Sounds like they just ran out of rudder on the way up. So, smaller jib or have someone on the jib sheet, with a plan, next time. Lesson learned, and thank you for sharing. 

21 hours ago, random said:

Some people go sailing, others like you... talk about it on the interweb.

The owner has the grace to post an honest review of what happened, but clowns in their armchairs find that not enough and use the mishap as fodder for their own egos.

What the fuck are you talking about Random? Too many 5 dimensional durries mate.

There is no ego trip here, except maybe yours as the paragon of virtue. Good on the owner for sharing, Ive given my opinion and he can take it or leave it,  both him and I have two things in common, we love sailing and neither of us give a flying fuck what the other says on the internet.

The only people that care is clipper who has something jammed up his ass, and you, and you dont even care except that you like being a smart assed cunt from time to time.

• Downvote 1

I'm sure the owner will talk to you soon about how to avoid this next time.  Sit by the phone and the net he will be with you shortly.

I keep reading about how it's not possible to get a loaded sheet off a self tailing winch fast. Bullshit - get hold of the sheet with your thumb up and facing toward the bitter end and pull it straight up above the centre of the winch. Let go fast. If you need telling to stay clear of the sheet tail you're probably on the wrong boat...

Hopefully this will help stop the next pissing his pride and joy into the tide

2 hours ago, CBGB said:

I keep reading about how it's not possible to get a loaded sheet off a self tailing winch fast. Bullshit - get hold of the sheet with your thumb up and facing toward the bitter end and pull it straight up above the centre of the winch. Let go fast. If you need telling to stay clear of the sheet tail you're probably on the wrong boat...

So where did the owner say that the self tailing winch caused the capsize here?   He said no one was on that sheet.

18 minutes ago, random said:

So where did the owner say that the self tailing winch caused the capsize here?   He said no one was on that sheet.

And where did I refer to the cause of this capsize? As I said, maybe this bit of advice will help prevent another accident, unlike your contributions

It's a thread about Rushour going over.

Maybe you should start a thread for "CBGB advice to prevent another accident". 

I'm sure it will go viral.

Edit: BTW your advice for unloading the winch is safe for light loadings.  From personal experience on a boat very like Rushour, the feeling in my hand returned about a week after releasing the sheet while about to go in and the swollen knuckles subsided after a year.  I'm expecting arthritis later.  It would be easy to lose a few fingers or a hand in that situation.

• Downvote 1

Actually, rereading the Rushhour account. I know of atleast two other multis where the jib alone has been the cause of the boat going over.

It’s surprising how much affect on bringing the boat back from the brink easing that little fucker  up front makes. But it most certainly does. 

As for leaving sheets in self- tailers. No thank you. Because we (one) normally have a minimum number of turns of the sheet on the winch (where as  halyard winch drums are normally stacked fully), when that big ol’ gust comes along I have found that sheet wedges itself in them st jaws there nice and tight.

In a scary “fuck! fuck! fuck! I can’t get the fucker out!!!” kinda way. 

Combine that with the inevitable retention of rhe winch handle which will get tangled in the sheet when you do finally rip the sheet out of the st jaws and imo you have the makings of a major fuck up. 

Unless it’s really light breeze and I’m being naughty (read: an idiot) and hypocritical I always take the sheet out of the st jaws and put it in a cam cleat.

Roller cam cleat, that is. The old crappy ones are a death trap. 

14 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

Actually, rereading the Rushhour account. I know of atleast two other multis where the jib alone has been the cause of the boat going over.

It’s surprising how much affect on bringing the boat back from the brink easing that little fucker  up front makes. But it most certainly does. 

As for leaving sheets in self- tailers. No thank you. Because we (one) normally have a minimum number of turns of the sheet on the winch (where as  halyard winch drums are normally stacked fully), when that big ol’ gust comes along I have found that sheet wedges itself in them st jaws there nice and tight.

In a scary “fuck! fuck! fuck! I can’t get the fucker out!!!” kinda way. 

Combine that with the inevitable retention of rhe winch handle which will get tangled in the sheet when you do finally rip the sheet out of the st jaws and imo you have the makings of a major fuck up. 

Unless it’s really light breeze and I’m being naughty (read: an idiot) and hypocritical I always take the sheet out of the st jaws and put it in a cam cleat.

Roller cam cleat, that is. The old crappy ones are a death trap. 

Agree 100%, trying not to get into some of the bouncing bullshit happening here, but from sailing on Rush Hour many times in a good bit of breeze, there is absolutely no way I would ever trust a self-tailing winch with any critical loaded sheet. There are a couple of essential roller cam cleats on the bulkhead under the critical winches and they get a good workout in the times that the sheet is not held in hand.  

That's another valuable tidbit to come out of this thread for me. Roller cam cleats are on my list now -- a single snap release when single-handing!

The other was that in the death zone releasing the foresail first and going up could be a better solution especially on close reach. Your main will help you turn and the situation will deescalate progressively because the main unloads as you turn. Releasing the main and bearing away feels good initially (less apparent wind, centrifugal force adding to the righting moment) but will load the main again.

8 hours ago, random said:

It's a thread about Rushour going over.

Maybe you should start a thread for "CBGB advice to prevent another accident". 

I'm sure it will go viral.

Edit: BTW your advice for unloading the winch is safe for light loadings.  From personal experience on a boat very like Rushour, the feeling in my hand returned about a week after releasing the sheet while about to go in and the swollen knuckles subsided after a year.  I'm expecting arthritis later.  It would be easy to lose a few fingers or a hand in that situation.

Lucky guy, plenty of basement dwellers dream of having a numb hand.

So Drew, in the same situation, would you dump main and bear off, or dump jib and head up? Everyone talks about having a hand on the main, but it is often luffing and partially depowered in these sorts of conditions anyway. Jib is almost always full and powered up

On 11/10/2017 at 5:20 AM, bushsailor said:

forecast was for 20kn se wind.

THIS CONFIGURATION IS VERY MANAGEABLE IN 20KN.

Boat capsized sideways.

• Mistakes: Bloody B&G wind instruments were not working so no appreciation of building breeze. (Rushour commonly does 20kn on a shy reach so 30kn of wind across the boat seems normal.)

lucky we were only in 4 m of water and Rushour has a very strong wing mast so we were able to attach ropes to the high hull and tow her around so the bows were pointing into the wind and towed her over.

The bottom hull was flooded and that helped to right the boat.

You need a very big tow boat to pull a big cat over. We used a commercial cat Cat of Nine Tails to pull her up.

We had her upright about 2 to 3 hours after capsize.

I would not want to go through that in the open ocean.

It makes you realise how good it is to belong to a strong sailing community.

Nice boat and sorry to hear of the capsize. Thanks for posting... alas it brings out the posers and punters.  Spent lots of time in large offshore cats cruising and now racing and playing in an F27. Curious if you know... given a 7 ton boat, known righting moment and sail area of the jib (alone)... per calculation, how much breeze does it take to put it over?  (Asking because in the F27 it would take more than 60 knots).

On 11/10/2017 at 8:20 PM, bushsailor said:

If one issue was that the jib overpowered the rudder, surely holding the jib sheet is a good thing so it can be released more quickly? Or have I misunderstood the comment?

21 hours ago, RobG said:

If one issue was that the jib overpowered the rudder, surely holding the jib sheet is a good thing so it can be released more quickly? Or have I misunderstood the comment?

I think you've got it right. It's just not normally done, for several reasons, but a good take away from this incident is that you might want to have someone on it in situations like this. Extraordinary situations call for extraordinary measures, and all that.

Thanks, I think I understand the comment now as:

"We weren't holding the jib sheet as we never normally do that. It was, in hindsight, a mistake".

The takeaway being that in conditions where it may be necessary to dump the main, be prepared to follow that by immediately dumping the headsail too.

On 11/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, CBGB said:

May I ask were you keep reading this...?   I've not experienced this.... Sure it's slower than holding it and a no no when sailing in breeze at speed but self tailers these days with springs in the jaws don't lock sheets in.  

Anywho, props to Drew for posting it.... 

On 11/12/2017 at 3:02 AM, CBGB said:

I am with @PIL007 - no way I would do that and sounds like a good way to lose fingers and hands.

The other thing that I don't think folks that don't sail multis don't recognize is that the reality is that at times there are going to be sheets cleated in some way shape or form.  Multis don't sail with large crews.  There are no extra hands in the form or rail meat.  Over weight is slow and not safe.  I have crossed oceans in performance cruising cats we owned and have raced a tri we own.  I do everything possible to avoid it but the reality is there are times its going to happen and sheets are going to be cleated.  Our current ride as noted above is an F27.  It can easily be double handed.  At most you sail with 3 peopple.  If main and foresail you need 4 hands; tiller, mainsheet, traveler, jibsheet.  If double slotted - which is often - you need 5 hands because you add a spin sheet or screecher sheet.  Double or triple handed when you need somebody to go low to check for boats, or to grind a winch or check nav or anything, there are multiple sheets cleated.  There simply are not enough hands to hold all sheets.  The challenge is picking the right sheet(s) to cleat and having it set so it can be blown as easily as possible if necessary.  The jib (as the smallest sail and if off the wind turning me towards safety) is the first sheet that gets cleated and un-tended.

Sometimes merde just happens. 

Wess 

CBGB knows what he is doing - he has a very very large version of an F27 and races her two handed.....

on our  11.5 cat when fully crewed and racing like a tit we will hold main trav jib / screach / kite sheet when racing two handed would go for trav and headsail - we dont normally double header as we dont have a wide enough slot  

6 hours ago, Wess said:

I am with @PIL007 - no way I would do that and sounds like a good way to lose fingers and hands.

It's even more interesting for a say 5 to 1 mainsheet.  Do the maths.

Boat speed 20 knots, storm front hits 45 knots from rear quarter. so when you uncleat  the main, the boom, will swing out at say 20 knots.  That means that the sheet will travel at 20 X 5 = 100 knots through/near the hand that did it.  That's about 200 kph with several tonnes loading.  If there is a loop in that, bye-bye pieces of hands or feet.

16 hours ago, Bruce Sutherland said:

Wess 

CBGB knows what he is doing - he has a very very large version of an F27 and races her two handed.....

on our  11.5 cat when fully crewed and racing like a tit we will hold main trav jib / screach / kite sheet when racing two handed would go for trav and headsail - we dont normally double header as we dont have a wide enough slot  

Bruce -

You are a Daz 1150 owner that races, yes?  So I get you are a been there done that kinda guy.  I will keep an open mind on the winch dismount (?) but it sure sounds dicey.

Forgive a brief hijack and feel free to drop a PM if its better, but I am curious how you like the Daz.

Cheers,

Wess