• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Pazmich

11 Metre One Design

Recommended Posts

Hello all of you !

 

I made this topic because i would like to buy 11 Metre One Design Boat. But before that i need to know few things about them. Here on Sailing Anarchy is an old topic titled "How fast can go 11 Metre One Design", but there are no answers for things that i have on my mind. I'll be glad if someone who knows those boats will answer my questions.
So lets go:
How fast can they sail stright upwind when TWA is about 30 degrees up to 20 knots of wind?
Same question as above but when it's at open sea with some waves?
Maximum speed up and down wind u have sailed at?

I think i will find more questions if someone will answer me :)

 

Thanks a lot for help.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They sail to the polars...which I do not seem to have around anymore. They are intended for OD racing. In PHRF they will suffer when the wind goes light because the tiny headsail. The huge spinnaker makes them fast downwind. Steep waves upwind will be a problem, but they plane readily on waves downwind. Folklore in SF says in the 20's.

They have lotsa strings for sail trim. Which is a plus if your crew is sharp.

Open sea? Heh. When we went offshore we inflated race marks down below for flotation. However there is a web story about a crew that delivered one TRANSAT from Europe to the Caribbean for a race there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I raced them OD for a couple of seasons.  I seem to remember them being a little slower than a mumm on most points.  I don't think the small jib is a too much of a problem.  Surely any handicap will take that into consideration. I know some people have put overlapping jibs on as mod for handicap racing. 

We raced in the lumpy stuff occasionally and don't think they're better or worse than any other 30ish foot day boat. 

They track nicely up wind but with a narrow groove. They are roughly a 30foot boat.  They sail upwind roughly like a 30foot boat. 

Unforgiving off the breeze in a blow.  Again probably no worse than any other high performance boat with a big arse kite.  As long as you have a helmsman and kite trim are on the same page. 

We never had a speedo so can't give actual numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same guy who just did Pacific Cup, San Francisco to Hawaii on a Melges 32 did The Coastal Cup, S.F. to Catalina, on an 11 metre OD a few years back. 350 downwind miles in some fairly big breeze and waves down the California coast. They did a lot of mods to the boat, sealed bulkheads and such, but they had big grins on their faces when they got in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.11.2017 at 5:59 AM, Jethrow said:

They are bandits on ORCi

What is that mean? I'm considering of buying it to race in ORCi but it's CDL is very small so theoretically it will sail on last position upwind if CDL group starts at 8.5 and it has actually 8.5, am I right? Now best boats for ORC group C have CDL  above 9.00 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5a0b6d399b10b_DSCN4226-Copy.thumb.jpg.1f272639672a7bfab9b372abff24dd16.jpg

On 11/11/2017 at 3:12 AM, Pazmich said:

Hello all of you !

 

I made this topic because i would like to buy 11 Metre One Design Boat. But before that i need to know few things about them. Here on Sailing Anarchy is an old topic titled "How fast can go 11 Metre One Design", but there are no answers for things that i have on my mind. I'll be glad if someone who knows those boats will answer my questions.
So lets go:
How fast can they sail stright upwind when TWA is about 30 degrees up to 20 knots of wind?
Same question as above but when it's at open sea with some waves?
Maximum speed up and down wind u have sailed at?

I think i will find more questions if someone will answer me :)

 

Thanks a lot for help.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I raced one back in the 90's when they first came out. Fast fun boat. But as has been said above, it has a very narrow groove. The owner was a pretty good sled driver. But, he got pretty frustrated with the 11M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 1:16 AM, Pazmich said:

What is that mean? I'm considering of buying it to race in ORCi but it's CDL is very small so theoretically it will sail on last position upwind if CDL group starts at 8.5 and it has actually 8.5, am I right? Now best boats for ORC group C have CDL  above 9.00 .

Not really sure what all that is Paz.

All I can say is that we rarely leave the club without a bottle for placing in our division in ORC-club (I think I said ORCi before didn't I?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, daddle said:

They sail to the polars...which I do not seem to have around anymore. They are intended for OD racing. In PHRF they will suffer when the wind goes light because the tiny headsail. The huge spinnaker makes them fast downwind. Steep waves upwind will be a problem, but they plane readily on waves downwind. Folklore in SF says in the 20's.

They have lotsa strings for sail trim. Which is a plus if your crew is sharp.

Open sea? Heh. When we went offshore we inflated race marks down below for flotation. However there is a web story about a crew that delivered one TRANSAT from Europe to the Caribbean for a race there.

Daddle,

     I remember when the TranAt 11 meter showed up in the Caribbean. That is a pretty ballsy racing crowd down there but when they saw the 11 everyone just shook their heads that it had been sailed across. Did pretty well under CYA rule. Made a Hobie 33 look like a Westsail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xsailmakerSYD said:

Just for Jethrow....

Now this is why 11m are so popular !

 

Bring back memories ??   or is that Mammaries .....    guilty of posting this before....

Obsession 11M.PNG

Heard that boat has just returned to The Alfreds where conjecture continues to rumble about who the original model was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, xsailmakerSYD said:

Just for Jethrow....

Now this is why 11m are so popular !

 

Bring back memories ??   or is that Mammaries .....    guilty of posting this before....

Obsession 11M.PNG

Simon caused a few debates with that wrap.  I think he had a mate from 3m or something.  Least of which, 11m class rules from memory required paint and antifoul.  Simon's argument was the paint and antifoul was still there, just underneath the wrap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2017 at 7:43 PM, Last Post said:

Heard that boat has just returned to The Alfreds where conjecture continues to rumble about who the original model was.

If the wrap has lasted this long, that is a testament to 3m vinyl wraps.  That was put on in 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this