Sign in to follow this  
blastfurnace

control line update on young rocket

hi guys, we recently did an update on our control systems, we originally had everything leading onto the cabin top to sets of halyard locks.. but found when we blasting down hill, the forward hand had both hands on kite sheet and couldnt adjust anything like vang or the richie. so we installed a console into the cockpit floor. its out of an australian lightweight sharpie ( 19ft 3 man dinghy) the console is basically identical to an etchells console. weve actually found it really great! 5 control lines and swivelling main cleat . from pointy end to blunt end we have tack line, bowsprit pole, richie, vang and backstay. pics attached

22255027_1866356403376341_2978163166829493646_o.jpg

22281568_1864801890198459_4729109512562615910_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Varan said:

What are the forward most two holes for? Oh yea, what's a richie?

I would guess the Ritchie Cunningham 

On 11/13/2017 at 3:15 PM, Varan said:

What are the forward most two holes for? Oh yea, what's a richie?

the two forward holes were for a loveday loop system.. kind of like end boom sheeting but works from the mid boom... we are planning on utilising them for gimballed beer holders!!

yes!! a richie is richie cunningham!! my mainsheet hand calls it "smart-pig"... get it? yeah nah, we just frown at him.. and refuse to adjust until he calls it richie...

3 hours ago, blastfurnace said:

the two forward holes were for a loveday loop system.. kind of like end boom sheeting but works from the mid boom... we are planning on utilising them for gimballed beer holders!!

yes!! a richie is richie cunningham!! my mainsheet hand calls it "smart-pig"... get it? yeah nah, we just frown at him.. and refuse to adjust until he calls it richie...

Got it, thanks. Richie downfucker.

Hey Blastfurnace,

Thanks to you I learned something new today - never thought about where the term smart-pig or clever-pig came from :) 

Nice update. You will never look back. 

Ive always thought of it as more a trickypig.

When things go wrong it will no doubt lead to much easier access to the Dutch painter...

On 11/21/2017 at 7:50 AM, splash said:

Nice update. You will never look back. 

Ive always thought of it as more a trickypig.

When things go wrong it will no doubt lead to much easier access to the Dutch painter...

OK.... youve got me there.... dutch painter? pauline hanson....

5 minutes ago, blastfurnace said:

OK.... youve got me there.... dutch painter? pauline hanson....

New one to me too.... Vang go is my guess

update on the rocket, we have  moved the kite tack line and the pole launch line to the cabin top ( on swivelling cleats - RF58's) and have replaced them in the console with jib fine tune and mainsail outhaul, much better. and the new square top main from dave alexander sails is working a treat!!

38818109_2339721902706453_4565285244755771392_n.jpg

39087668_2198304010389099_8274856474065240064_n.jpg

Nice work BF. Boat looks great, sails look good and leeches/rig trim looks the go.

But Transom wake looks heavy for such light airs. Do you all need to shuffle forwards? Third man onto the rail and last two move way forward in cockpit

Or is there work to be done on the transom and rudder finishes. Easily another quarter knot of boat speed to be had there.....

You calling me fat???...  :( i guess the 2 heavy guys are steering and sheeting, the other 3 are 60kg yep we could have tried that. Thanks for the critique always helps .p.s im currently on a 1600km round trip to pick up new rudder blade :)