• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi Sailor in Europe

Seascape 18 outboard

Try the Honda 2.3hp 4 stroke air cooled short shaft. 12.7kg. A bit noisier than water cooled but saves the bother of having to flush it through with fresh water after use.

I use a 2 stroke 4 hp on the 24. It’s enough so 2 hp should be enough for the 18. They are noisier but we don’t use them much, do we?

Honda 2.3 is VERY reliable and simple. They have engineered-out many things that can cause trouble - no cooling system, no transmission, no gas mixing. Yes, they are a BIT noisy but remember it is really a small lawnmower power plant with a propeller. Happy Sailing

1 hour ago, xonk1 said:

Honda 2.3 is VERY reliable and simple. They have engineered-out many things that can cause trouble - no cooling system, no transmission, no gas mixing. Yes, they are a BIT noisy but remember it is really a small lawnmower power plant with a propeller. Happy Sailing

Very good motor.  The largest issue, which likely applies to most small outboards, is NEVER use fuel with ethanol.  The ethanol gums up the carb and makes your life a misery.  One season I cleaned the carb extensively and had good results.  The next season, I bought a new one it's run great ever since.  Very little maintenance.  The air cooling is a plus: easy to work on outside of the water, I can warm it up prior to launching, etc..  Others will likely disagree, but I'm not a huge fan of the centrifugal clutch.  Most of my issues stem back to when the carb was gummed with ethanol and the clutch would engage while I was trying to keep the damn thing running.

My Honda 2hp bought new in 2006 has never had ethanol free gas and still runs great, starting with one pull every time. But I do always use fresh gas (2 months or less old) to which I always add sta-bil fuel stabilizer. Downside with the motor are, like other 4 strokes, can only be laid down on one side, it's noisy and the top part of the shaft, right where your hand wants to grab it when stowing it below, can get quite hot. It's also extremely hard to change the oil without making a mess and the cover is not really suitable for lifting it. On the plus side, it's realible, lightweight (for a 4 stroke) and has a very conveniently located screw for draining the carb when storing it for extended. Never regretted buying it.

On 13/11/2017 at 7:56 PM, Kiwi Sailor in Europe said:

Hi there, thinking about changing my Torqueedo 1003 to a small petrol outboard for a Seacsape 18, preferably 2 stroke as it is lighter, but open to suggestions.

Has anyone had experience with a 2 or 3hp unit?

Thx.

Hey kiwi sailor,

if I was going to get a outboard I’d go for a 2 stroke as they are simpler motors for what you are looking for.

The Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu  2.2-3.3hp are the same motor. The difference between the 2.2 and the 3.3 is a fuel restriction plate in the carburettor. Same weight. Inbuilt fuel tank and the 3.3 has forward neutral / gears and about 15 kgs

If you feel you can handle more weight in the motor about 21 kgs I’d go for the Mercury/ Mariner / Tohatsu 4 - 5 hp outboard. Again it’s the fuel restriction plate in the carburettor that is the main difference in the motors for the same weight. The bonus with the 5 hp motor is it’s fitted with a inbuilt tank as well as a remote tank option. This is great if you want to go cruising or are doing a longer race we’re you may need to top up the fuel tank. 

Pulpit 

have a Merc 2.5 for 10yrs runs great even at low speed for hrs on end just have to clean the plug, and yes only use Shell Gold gas = 0 ethanol

Br

I've owned all those engines- here is my 2 cents

The Honda is nice light engine- I had two things I didn't like-  very loud compared to others and didn't like the centrifugal clutch. When you start the engine cold it has to rev to warm up and that means the clutch will engage. I had to always start with the boat tied to the dock until I could idle the motor

The Tohatsu 3.5 - good engine- no complaints- quite a bit bigger and heavier with more power- comes in handy if you have to motor a ways against a 20 kt wind.

The Torqueedo-  loved that I could easily take it off after sails were up and store below.  Not enough power to motor against big wind and once you are out of juice no easy way to refill. But to get in/out of marina in normal wind worked really well. My battery has died now after 5 years and  will cost me $1000 to replace

Yamaha-  IMHO the best in quality of these. I have the 2.5 and the 4 HP models. Great, reliable, strong motors. A little heavier than the others but due to beefier construction. The latest 2.5 model allows you to lay the motor down on either side without oil issues. 

I use ethanol free gas and run the carb dry after each use to avoid carb cleaning duty

Long time follower but here finally some input also..

Have Seascape 18 with 5 summers experience. Have 4hp Yamaha and that is lot of power for this boat. Had to change to lower pitch propeller from standard and still with very light throttle boat reaches very quickly 6 knots.

Issue is that even with lower pitch propeller I end up throthling when coming to pier - not very convenient but managable.

I have been thinking about switching to Torqeedo as range hasn’t really been issue in current use. With extra battery I believe I would get performance I need, but investment is high for very little use..

On 11/23/2017 at 8:07 PM, gjbike said:

I've owned all those engines- here is my 2 cents

The Honda is nice light engine- I had two things I didn't like-  very loud compared to others and didn't like the centrifugal clutch. When you start the engine cold it has to rev to warm up and that means the clutch will engage. I had to always start with the boat tied to the dock until I could idle the motor

The Tohatsu 3.5 - good engine- no complaints- quite a bit bigger and heavier with more power- comes in handy if you have to motor a ways against a 20 kt wind.

The Torqueedo-  loved that I could easily take it off after sails were up and store below.  Not enough power to motor against big wind and once you are out of juice no easy way to refill. But to get in/out of marina in normal wind worked really well. My battery has died now after 5 years and  will cost me $1000 to replace

Yamaha-  IMHO the best in quality of these. I have the 2.5 and the 4 HP models. Great, reliable, strong motors. A little heavier than the others but due to beefier construction. The latest 2.5 model allows you to lay the motor down on either side without oil issues. 

I use ethanol free gas and run the carb dry after each use to avoid carb cleaning duty

Seconded for the Yamaha 2.5.  I have a 2006 model.  Good little motor and I've had no issues other than someone mistaking the choke for the pull starter...  

Congrats on the Seascape 18, looks like a lot of fun.