• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Gouvernail

J-34 IOR

Recommended Posts

The boats are still around. I can't believe the owners haven't thrown a HISSY fit about the PHRF ratings. 

How can a boat be "well known as a PHRF dog?"  Isn't the objective of the PHRF system to rate every boat according to its performance so every  boat has an equal chance?? 

Not one person commented, "Our local PHRF committee changed the J-34 rating so it now wins around here just as often as any other boat."

So many people were asking where to find one in this thread I thought it would be a good idea to post this link to a current Craigslist ad.

it looks like you could take off the parts, sell the sails, and triple your investment 

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/34-sailboat/6382800223.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Price seems good. They were a pretty good looking boat, though I don't recall them having any IOR success. IDK what PHRF rating is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Price seems good. They were a pretty good looking boat, though I don't recall them having any IOR success. IDK what PHRF rating is. 

Around 120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, some dude said:

Get yourself a J33 and then buy the 34 for the parts

consolsidatte effortes an buy J35, be happey.                           :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

consolsidatte effortes an buy J35, be happey.                           :)

Sails and upkeep is going to cost the same as a J-35. But they run $20K and up in my area. $6000 for the 34 is a good price if motor is good and the boat doesn't need much work. 35 is much faster, but in a lot of PHRF fleets the 34 would be scratch boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Around 120

IDK how fast (or lack thereof) the 34 is. The fast 3/4 tonners nearing end of IOR were DB2s and X-boats, which rate about 111-114 in PHRF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never buy a PHRF boat with a bad rating thinking you'll be the one guy that as a successful appeal and have a cheap PHRF winning boat.  You are going to have to fully prep the boat, including bottom, foils and new string sails and then race it hard for a couple of seasons to demonstrate that the performance doesn't meet the numbers.  Then you might get a small adjustment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, some dude said:

Get yourself a J33 and then buy the 34 for the parts

sounds good till you look at rig sizes. I'll take the 35.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Never buy a PHRF boat with a bad rating thinking you'll be the one guy that as a successful appeal and have a cheap PHRF winning boat.  You are going to have to fully prep the boat, including bottom, foils and new string sails and then race it hard for a couple of seasons to demonstrate that the performance doesn't meet the numbers.  Then you might get a small adjustment. 

True, but even Rod J rates it at 114...so if you get a rating slower than that, you ought to do ok...I know it never did particularly well in IOR, but I don't see anything about it that would make it a bad PHRF boat, short of it getting rated faster than 114 or so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  what would DoRag suggest ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The boats are still around. I can't believe the owners haven't thrown a HISSY fit about the PHRF ratings. 

How can a boat be "well known as a PHRF dog?"  Isn't the objective of the PHRF system to rate every boat according to its performance so every  boat has an equal chance?? 

Not one person commented, "Our local PHRF committee changed the J-34 rating so it now wins around here just as often as any other boat."

So many people were asking where to find one in this thread I thought it would be a good idea to post this link to a current Craigslist ad.

it looks like you could take off the parts, sell the sails, and triple your investment 

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/34-sailboat/6382800223.html

Great Thread How did you find that ?? B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew a very good racing sailor who was very successful in several OD classes and handicap racing on his own boats and OPB. He did very well with a J/24 and then got a deal on a J/34 IOR. He had the J/34 for a couple of years, and never could win anything with it handicap racing. The problem was not the skipper...he sold it and moved on to a larger Tripp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we raced against them in the IOR days, they were always one of the slowest boats, even well sailed.  So they would have to rate slower than most to rate well enough .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this