• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
stief

Vor 2017-2018 New CEO

15 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Makes me smile that VOR need two people to replace MT

Good one. Sounds like they (going to call them 'Atlant' ) will not give up their Olympic role. 

Wonder if Iker can advise them how will work out.

Brisius is currently the CEO of the company owned by the National Olympic Committee, running Sweden’s bid to host the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in 2026 and he will remain in that role.

Johan Salén has worked alongside Brisius on all of their previous Volvo Ocean Race projects. He will take a leading role in both operations and in devising a strategy for the future of the event alongside the current leadership team.

Entirely predictable. The result for the VOR is equally predictable. Its in a one way street. (dead parrot? dead sparrow?)

Great that the French racing scene is booming. Lots of different fast boats to follow, and crews who face a lot less aggro and have far more fun, and lets face it, the people who sail in the French races have left the rest of the world behind.

Off to Salvador for some fun, sun and caipirinha.

• Like 2

Auto generated transcript of Live is available now. Looks to be too long to post, but some snips.

08:51 with now former CEO Mark Turner

09:32 I'm hoping to be in Melbourne with my 09:33 family on a very unofficial capacity for 09:35 the New Year's Eve party

10:07 because it's very important that the 10:09 next race whatever that may be 10:11 is sold during this race this is the 10:13 best time to sale to sponsors and so 10:15 very important I stepped aside and 10:16 allowed that and your strategy to come 10:18 in place

but I just want to say 10:23 a huge thank you thank you to the fans 10:25 particularly all over the world so I 10:28 love about this race its global nature 10:29 when you see the messages coming in from 10:31 just every country possible you know 10:34 during the live show each day absolutely 10:36 loving that 10:38 keep your feedback coming good and bad 10:40 we can only build a better product by 10:42 you telling us what's good and what's 10:43 bad and I think there's a very 10:44 open-minded team here taking that on 10:46 board and trying to improve the product 

12:27 around the world I mean what remains to 12:29 me is the ultimate test of a team in 12:31 professional sport 

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Entirely predictable. The result for the VOR is equally predictable. Its in a one way street. (dead parrot? dead sparrow?)

'It's just sleeping'.  :mellow:

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Great that the French racing scene is booming. Lots of different fast boats to follow, and crews who face a lot less aggro and have far more fun, and lets face it, the people who sail in the French races have left the rest of the world behind.

Off to Salvador for some fun, sun and caipirinha.

Enjoy it, just be careful which bits of Salvador you walk around in. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mad. Been there before and loved the place. My stategy is to appear generally grubby, down-at-heel and povertystricken. Fortunately all of that comes very naturally to me.

• Like 2

I think the method of the two announcements pretty much says it all. Mark T goes on the live show to say thank you and goodbye. Atlant is announced with a very dry press release.

Richard Brissius is considered a safe pair of hands by VOR, so may not appeal here. More to the point the Swedish way of thinking, means that bold decisions will not be made quickly, consensus will need to be reached.

I am thankful for Mark's influence on the comms strategy, even if I do not agree with everything he was trying to achieve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potter said:

I think the method of the two announcements pretty much says it all. Mark T goes on the live show to say thank you and goodbye. Atlant is announced with a very dry press release.

Richard Brissius is considered a safe pair of hands by VOR, so may not appeal here. More to the point the Swedish way of thinking, means that bold decisions will not be made quickly, consensus will need to be reached.

I am thankful for Mark's influence on the comms strategy, even if I do not agree with everything he was trying to achieve.

Hmm. Telling example. Been having trouble getting a sense of what to expect with Atlant. Any suggestions where I might look to get a sense of the future of the 'digital first' and 'open' themes under Atlant? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Merit 25 said:

So why did MT get fired?  Sorry if I missed that somewhere.  

Biggest disagreement with the Board was over timing. MT wanted to reduce interval to once every 2 years. From his POV, continuity helps solicit continued sponsors, better for sailors and teams and VOR crew as there will be less ramp up ramp down cycles. 

Board didn't see the $$$$$. Didn't see the $$$ come in this edition with basically only AkzoNobel, DF, and MAPFRE being the early entry high admission teams without discounted late entries. 

In many ways MT's vision resembles Russel Coutts' idea for the AC Framework had it succeeded. 

MT wanted to push the org into making investments for the future that MIGHT attract more financial investment. Board didn't agree. 

Atlant won't be taking risks without the Board being behind it. 

no news, interview or a statement from Atlant on plans and vision yet? Big change from MT, who is/was always available and outspoken on any media or social network

• Like 1

^^^^ Delay in detail...Still nutting out the contract details...like they and their family members can only drive a Pussywagon for the duration of the contract, so model and upholstry colour selection now a priority.