Pokey uh da LBC

Barn Find Cal 40

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Second from the bottom looks more like a stink pot, with a traditional rag baggers keel & rudder??

A mile marker for when you're actually older than you feel is when you right away know the answer to this question.

*sigh*

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Second from the bottom looks more like a stink pot, with a traditional rag baggers keel & rudder??

That's a Cal Cruising 46. Its successor, the Cal 2-46 and a few years later the Cal 46 III are improvements. Not the prettiest boat but very practical and capable cruisers with a decent turn of speed. Bill Lapworth, the designer, and Jack Jensen, the builder, did circumnavigations. A much better sailing boat than appearance would suggest. Bonus feature: a built-in work bench in the engine room!

There's a well-maintained one for sale in Anacortes!

edit: Rod and hobot beat me to the answer!

4 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

That's a Cal Cruising 46. Its successor, the Cal 2-46 and a few years later the Cal 46 III are improvements. Not the prettiest boat but very practical and capable cruisers with a decent turn of speed. Bill Lapworth, the designer, and Jack Jensen, the builder, did circumnavigations. A much better sailing boat than appearance would suggest. Bonus feature: a built-in work bench in the engine room!

and the wheel at the front of the cockpit where the mast was just an arms reach away!

9 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

There's a well-maintained one for sale in Anacortes!

edit: Rod and hobot beat me to the answer!

Hey! :angry:

On 11/19/2017 at 4:13 PM, Somebody Else said:

Sorry!

I should just delete my post 'cause it's so late to the party.

wit as few parties remaining - ya autta leave it for a referance

Hah... I sailed Balance from Plymouth to Islesboro a bunch of years ago when a friend of a friend bought her (for about $10k if I remember).  We exited plymouth, popped the chute and blasted straight through the night and arrived in Dark harbor early the next morning.  We didn't douse the chute until we could see the dock we were going to.  Fantastic ride with our top speed that night pegged at 12 kts.  Back then the boat had a tiller, so they obviously changed that at the Landing school the year after.  I think that's a good mod if you're doing a lot of cruising, as it frees up the cockpit.  

On 11/14/2017 at 2:35 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

Yes, that one was to an extreme. I liked the guy who ran the boat yard, he was entertaining. They did not beat the other 40 in this years TransPac though. If I had the time and some of the money I would like to have a 40.

Ouch.  I would have thought that fresh boat would have trounced the competition.   Pilot error?

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Ouch.  I would have thought that fresh boat would have trounced the competition.   Pilot error?

They went separate routes, they closed-up on the lead 40 at one point but then were on the wrong side during the approach to the channel.

Crew were NOT up to the level of the other boat. Bucket list race, not serious.

5 minutes ago, rcbrds said:

they also have a huge engine to drag around

The other boat removed their engine?

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Greymarine 4 cylinder? Or Yamaha 3?

I think they used a Beta Marine 4 instead of the 3. Wanted the extra hp if needed in a bad spot.

Damnnnn. Offer a grand to get it out of the guy's hand then truck it straight to a proper speed shop to get an ocean racing interior fitted, a minimal but powerful deck layout of hardware, and a new bottom and that thing could be a simple project boat for a hawaii weapon. 

That appears to be a Cal 39 not a Cal 40. Different boats.

"Edit" actually, it might be a Cal 40 based on the photos.

Edited by SF Woody Sailor
Update

2 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

That appears to be a Cal 39 not a Cal 40. Different boats.

Cal 40 is 39.33 ft.  Nothing like a 39.  

15 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Damnnnn. Offer a grand to get it out of the guy's hand then truck it straight to a proper speed shop to get an ocean racing interior fitted, a minimal but powerful deck layout of hardware, and a new bottom and that thing could be a simple project boat for a hawaii weapon. 

Hawaii weapon certainly; or Bermuda; or Capetown-Rio.

The Cal 40 was the finest ocean going one design class ever conceived.

It's listed as a 1979 Cal 39. Not a Cal 40. 

Just now, RKoch said:

It's listed as a 1979 Cal 39. Not a Cal 40. 

Look at the pictures.  It's a 40. Listed wrong.

• Like 1

After further consideration I suppose the Santa Cruz 50 ought to rank an Honorable Mention as the third best offshore one design. Third because the SC50 can't go upwind for sh*t.

Having said that, my hat is off to Bill Lapworth for designing #1 and #2: the Cal 40 and the Lapworth 36.

43 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Look at the pictures.  It's a 40. Listed wrong.

definitely a 40 in need of rescue.  and a Moore 24 parked next to it in the yard.  how did those boats end up marooned at Marathon Key? they're a long way from home

6 minutes ago, some dude said:

definitely a 40 in need of rescue.  and a Moore 24 parked next to it in the yard.  how did those boats end up marooned at Marathon Key? they're a long way from home

Good spot. 

10 minutes ago, some dude said:

a long way from home is still a lot shorter than most places that moore has been, that's webb's boat...

4 minutes ago, aA said:

that's webb's boat...

I thought it might have been his.  Not there anymore, though.

• Like 1

roller furler is a dead giveaway

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

After further consideration I suppose the Santa Cruz 50 ought to rank an Honorable Mention as the third best offshore one design. Third because the SC50 can't go upwind for sh*t.

Having said that, my hat is off to Bill Lapworth for designing #1 and #2: the Cal 40 and the Lapworth 36.

I'll toss the TP52 in that list as well. 

43 minutes ago, ASP said:

I'll toss the TP52 in that list as well. 

Check back in 20 years to see if the TP 52 has the staying power to be listed with the Cal 40 or SC 50.  Until then it’s just a flash in the pan.

14 minutes ago, sailronin said:

Check back in 20 years to see if the TP 52 has the staying power to be listed with the Cal 40 or SC 50.  Until then it’s just a flash in the pan.

They're already halfway there. 

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

I thought it might have been his.  Not there anymore, though.

It's the right color to be Gannet. When was that picture taken?

Just now, casc27 said:

It's the right color to be Gannet. When was that picture taken?

Yes.  Grey.

gannet.jpg

3 hours ago, aA said:

a long way from home is still a lot shorter than most places that moore has been, that's webb's boat...

ah yes. makes sense. thats legit 

18 hours ago, some dude said:

Thats Web's Moore.   Its back in the water, I think he just sailed up to Hilton head.

17 hours ago, sailronin said:

TP52 have been around since 2000 so some are 18 years old, I think they make the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Rogers said:

TP52 have been around since 2000 so some are 18 years old, I think they make the list. 

Not to mention the J125. Certainly establishing its place in West Coast downwind lore.

The J-125 is assuredly a fine boat and slippery downwind; I have no doubt that we could think of other examples of fine boats like the Hobie 33 or Olson 30 or Melges 24 or Express 27 or 37. However, that does not make any of them a legendary design.

The Cal 40 is an icon. 

With the Lapworth 36 as a prototype (a pretty successful prototype in light of the fact that there were 71 built and which were the hot shit one design of their day), the Cal 40 completely changed the game. Other one-off yachts have nudged the game, for example Dorade or Imp. However the mass produced Cal 40 didn't nudge the game - it changed the entire playing field.

2 hours ago, Ian Rogers said:

The TP52s are lovely and wonderful to sail. Perhaps, 50 years from now, we will still enjoy them. However they are built to a box rule not a production one design so excluded from consideration.

The Cal-40 changed ocean racing forever, certainly on the west coast. Before the Cal 40, the hot California ocean racer was the PCC (48' full keel wood Kettenburg design...the boat my dad crewed on and I learned to sail on during the '60s). The Cal-40 blew them away from the very first race and never looked back. Kind of like Ragtime did in her first Transpac...

2 hours ago, Ian Rogers said:

I agree they make the game-changing list. 

With the MedCup going strong and their multiple successes off-shore (Transpac, Vic-Maui, Sydney/Hobart, etc.) I'd say TP52s have set a new standard for a single design concept.  Latest TPs are probably closer to one design than a group of J-125s or Moore 24s.  

3 hours ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

The TP52s are lovely and wonderful to sail. Perhaps, 50 years from now, we will still enjoy them. However they are built to a box rule not a production one design so excluded from consideration.

Hardly any of the currently campaigned SC50's are still in one design configuration. Almost all of them have had some sort of mod or development over the last 35 years. 

As far as THE LEGENDARY ocean class goes, I agree the Cal 40 stands alone. 

Below that stands the TP52, Sleds, SC50's and Moore 24's

Below that the J125, Express 27, Express 37 and Olson 30

As far as west coast down-winders, you can't get any more iconic than this batch of boats. 

20 hours ago, ASP said:

Hardly any of the currently campaigned SC50's are still in one design configuration. Almost all of them have had some sort of mod or development over the last 35 years. 

As far as THE LEGENDARY ocean class goes, I agree the Cal 40 stands alone. 

Below that stands the TP52, Sleds, SC50's and Moore 24's

Below that the J125, Express 27, Express 37 and Olson 30

As far as west coast down-winders, you can't get any more iconic than this batch of boats. 

I was aboard one of the SC-50's for a dismasting so I can confirm that there was a subsequent development.

Your list looks pretty nice. However, you excluded the Lapworth 36 which lead to them all.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, Blue Crab said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a5708c9a712486c23c7dc03c83dfbc56.jpeg

I've had a 20, 24, 25 and now a 40. It only measures 29'. (I was trying to save a few bucks.) Think I read where Lapworth said the 29er was his favorite.

The Cal 2-30 in this picture is wrong. It should have an inverted transom. Any opinions on how that model stacks up?

23 hours ago, Sandpipper said:

The Cal 2-30 in this picture is wrong. It should have an inverted transom. Any opinions on how that model stacks up?

No Cal 2-30 in that image. Listed across the bottom, no image.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

Heard about it and found this pic.

Cal 40 Flush Deck.jpg

I believe that's White Squall from Seattle area. Flush deck. Only one made I think.

2 hours ago, Micksails said:

I believe that's White Squall from Seattle area. Flush deck. Only one made I think.

Thats her.  Very cool picture in the TYC clubhouse of her in a swiftsure race flying off a wave.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:45 AM, Somebody Else said:

Lapworth hit a home run with the Cal 40 and the immediate follow-up designs were attempts to scale up and scale down that successful design, but not entirely with the hoped-for results. The Cal 36 was supposed to be a more-or-less rule-beater Cal 40 and a lot of the 4 feet was eliminated by simply leaving off the lazarette and ending the boat at the traveler. That is not to say that the lines weren't scaled as well. In the other direction, the Cal 48 was supposed to be a longer, faster Cal 40 that never took off. As far as I know, the only one that ever did anything on the race course was Salicia sailed by Tom Corkett.

Then some guys took a chainsaw to a Cal 40 and came up with the Cal 37 named Conquest (complete with USC Tommy Trojan spinnaker) and that was successful. They added a bowsprit to get a bigger J and thus bigger chutes. I think they actually shortened the mast a bit, all for the rating. Conquest was as fast as a stock Cal 40 in most conditions but rated less. 

But all that happened as the IOR was catching on and those boats optimized for CCA could never cut it under IOR. Anyone that had a new Cal 40 built to race in 1970 was sorely disappointed.

The Cal 40 is one of those magic boats where the proportions and balance simply made a winner. It was the J/35 of the day. Race a Cal 40 and you WOULD get a trophy. The Cal 36 and 48 were not that way. When they did trophy, it was because of good sailors; the designs just weren't all that fast or user-friendly.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:45 AM, Somebody Else said:

Lapworth hit a home run with the Cal 40 and the immediate follow-up designs were attempts to scale up and scale down that successful design, but not entirely with the hoped-for results. The Cal 36 was supposed to be a more-or-less rule-beater Cal 40 and a lot of the 4 feet was eliminated by simply leaving off the lazarette and ending the boat at the traveler. That is not to say that the lines weren't scaled as well. In the other direction, the Cal 48 was supposed to be a longer, faster Cal 40 that never took off. As far as I know, the only one that ever did anything on the race course was Salicia sailed by Tom Corkett.

Then some guys took a chainsaw to a Cal 40 and came up with the Cal 37 named Conquest (complete with USC Tommy Trojan spinnaker) and that was successful. They added a bowsprit to get a bigger J and thus bigger chutes. I think they actually shortened the mast a bit, all for the rating. Conquest was as fast as a stock Cal 40 in most conditions but rated less. 

But all that happened as the IOR was catching on and those boats optimized for CCA could never cut it under IOR. Anyone that had a new Cal 40 built to race in 1970 was sorely disappointed.

The Cal 40 is one of those magic boats where the proportions and balance simply made a winner. It was the J/35 of the day. Race a Cal 40 and you WOULD get a trophy. The Cal 36 and 48 were not that way. When they did trophy, it was because of good sailors; the designs just weren't all that fast or user-friendly.

I have restored a Cal 48 and have been cruising down in Mexico for the last couple of years. It is a great platform for Mexico cruising with its large cockpit and wide decks. We race it in the local non serious races and do ok. It does atract many comments on its looks as it is a pretty boat. Spending money on restoring an old classic is not the most sensible decision but you cannot take it with you.

Cal 48 Wainui 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 5:33 PM, SloopJonB said:

That was a bottomless pocket, tax free project but he still never said what he spent IIRC.

Must have been well into 6 figures. He probably spent more on air fares crossing the country that I've spent in total on all my project boats.

Hell of a nice boat at the end though.

He spent 6 figures on Yard Fees, I know, I talked to him a few times. But when you own Schaefer Marine, what's a couple 100k anyway.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:40 AM, Concert Boy said:

I have restored a Cal 48 and have been cruising down in Mexico for the last couple of years. It is a great platform for Mexico cruising with its large cockpit and wide decks. We race it in the local non serious races and do ok. It does atract many comments on its looks as it is a pretty boat. Spending money on restoring an old classic is not the most sensible decision but you cannot take it with you.

Cal 48 Wainui

There's a Cal 48 yawl in Anacortes, WA. Looks to be in decent condition. I've only seen it on the hard.