Checksix127

Help with a Vxone tour and demo near Portland or

Hello All,

I am strongly considering buying a Vxone but they are not what you would call popular in the Portland Oregon region.

I’d really like to look over a boat, talk with an owner and perhaps crew for a demo sail if the owner was wiling. 

I’ve heard there are boats up in Seattle and could easily take a weekend tour with the wife.

I know the season in winding down, anyone interested in doing a short show and tell?

I suspect the list is long for these suckers!

Thank You!

Hi Checksix

I'm near SF and we can sail my VX1 in Half Moon Bay.  Fly in and I'll pick you up.

1 hour ago, wpbeardsley said:

I think there are a lot more Vipers in the Seattle area than there are VXOnes.  

sushi for EVERYONE.  even you panda

Hi Checksix,

There are a couple of boats in the Seattle area that have not been really active but maybe we can get in contact and triangulate the deal.

If it does not work and you want to get a way for the weekend, a round trip flight in December is about $260. We'll pick you up at the airport. Splash the VX One, grab a beer or two, sail, grab more beer and repeat.

We drop you back at the airport on Sunday.

my email is rod@velasailingsupply.com

There's 9 Vipers in the PNW one of which is in your neighborhood, Vancouver, WA another in Olympia and 4 in Anacortes.   Not sure who's still sailing but PM me if you want more info.  Upcoming west coast winter circuit has Turkey Day in Long Beach this weekend, Arizona in February and SD NOOD's in March.  2019 Worlds are in Long Beach.

16 hours ago, Checksix127 said:

Hello All,

I am strongly considering buying a Vxone but they are not what you would call popular in the Portland Oregon region.

I’d really like to look over a boat, talk with an owner and perhaps crew for a demo sail if the owner was wiling. 

I’ve heard there are boats up in Seattle and could easily take a weekend tour with the wife.

I know the season in winding down, anyone interested in doing a short show and tell?

I suspect the list is long for these suckers!

Thank You!

There's one at Shilshole in Seattle. I think Scott and Susan Burbank own it. 

The Burbanks sold 144 to a sailor near the Canadian border last year.  There is another VX one at Shilshole.  

A San Francisco weekend is a lot more fun than going to Heath TX. Although Rod and his RCYC crew are a lot of fun too having just been there for the VX1 NAC.

Where did all these Viper hustlers come from?

Saw one in the lot next to cyc a couple of weekends ago. I'm interested too. Would love a demo ride (and yes I've already sailed the viper)

A VX travels well.  I have been up and down the west coast for events.  If you have a race coming up and would like us to visit, show and tell, and rides, let me know.  This is a fantastic boat that is a fun sailer and/or racer.  

NAC12.jpg

Whichever boat you end up getting VX One or Viper 640,  you are in a fantastic spot for sailing a sport boat.

I was at the Viper Pacific Coast Championship at Cascade Locks. We had a great time. It was full on......hurtling downwind and up current.  It was also some of the most stunning scenery I have sailed in.  I would come and sail Vipers again in the Gorge in a heart beat.

We drove through Portland on the way to the regatta....and one of  my crew is a pilot based in Portland. It seems like a nice quality of life.

8 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Whichever boat you end up getting VX One or Viper 640,  you are in a fantastic spot for sailing a sport boat.

I was at the Viper Pacific Coast Championship at Cascade Locks. We had a great time. It was full on......hurtling downwind and up current.  It was also some of the most stunning scenery I have sailed in.  I would come and sail Vipers again in the Gorge in a heart beat.

We drove through Portland on the way to the regatta....and one of  my crew is a pilot based in Portland. It seems like a nice quality of life.

Double dammed is in August :)

8 hours ago, Varan said:

Double dammed is in August :)

Double dammed on a VX would be epic.  

11 hours ago, sushi said:

Double dammed on a VX would be epic.  

Yep, but my coin is on the wrabbit. Did it once on a u20 and 100 plus gybes later... There was a viper 640 there that year who published their GPS track showing 100+ gybes as well. The Moore's and wrabbit just pointed it straight downwind. Now a VX with symmetrical kite and split backstays, that might have a chance.

Hey Rod

Is the Ullman VX1 runner kite on your website an A2 or an A4? Might it be a good choice for the DD?

On 11/27/2017 at 7:41 PM, sailhmb said:

Hey Rod

Is the Ullman VX1 runner kite on your website an A2 or an A4? Might it be a good choice for the DD?

You're gonna want something a hell of a lot smaller than a full size A2 or A4.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:41 PM, sailhmb said:

Hey Rod

Kelly,

Probably an A4 Chicken Chute can be the real weapon for the DD. On any case the current spinnaker on the VX One is very manageable in heavy air as it is far below the masthead. Also, the kite really keeps the boat stable on the heavy stuff as the bow pops out of the water. Now, during the gybes...that's a different story!!  Boat handling will rule, more than the sail area with the VX One.

On 11/27/2017 at 7:41 PM, sailhmb said:

Hey Rod

Just do it, and PLEASE call me if you need crew. Never sailed a vxone, but 42 miles downwind would be a great way to start. 

10 hours ago, Varan said:

Just do it, and PLEASE call me if you need crew. Never sailed a vxone, but 42 miles downwind would be a great way to start. 

I'll contact HRYC to see if I can enter next year.  There was some problem a few years ago when Brian Bennett was planning on coming. This could be a  lot of fun and terror.  In the meantime perhaps Checksix can get his demo ride.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:40 AM, sailhmb said:

I'll contact HRYC to see if I can enter next year.  There was some problem a few years ago when Brian Bennett was planning on coming. This could be a  lot of fun and terror.  In the meantime perhaps Checksix can get his demo ride.

If you want a young local who has done it before then send me a pm..happy to chat about the race and what would be necessary in terms of boat mods. 

Don't see why the VX would be a problem. M24's, Wabbits, Open 5.70, and Vipers have done it...

Did they waive the outboard motor requirement for the 5.70 and Viper?  The S.I's indicate waiving that requirement may be possible.

Thanks all for the help. It’s looking like I have several options lined up for a spring demo ride.

Frankly with what I’ve read im very close to pulling the trigger without a sail. The company and boat community has just been fantastic. My Lightning sold so I have the down payment.

Thanks again everyone. I’ll keep mulling this over until I’m back in the states late February.

best,

C-

7 hours ago, Checksix127 said:

Thanks all for the help. It’s looking like I have several options lined up for a spring demo ride.

Frankly with what I’ve read im very close to pulling the trigger without a sail. The company and boat community has just been fantastic. My Lightning sold so I have the down payment.

Thanks again everyone. I’ll keep mulling this over until I’m back in the states late February.

best,

C-

Checksix127,

I'm glad to see you have gotten a clearer idea of what the VX One has to offer, not only as a boat but also as a class and sailing family.

Will you be looking for a new or pre-owned boat?

rod@velasailingsupply.com

I think I’m pretty set on ordering new. I just wish I could place an order now. I heard that the wait list is growing.

Next I need to work on building a local fleet.

C-

6 hours ago, Checksix127 said:

I think I’m pretty set on ordering new. I just wish I could place an order now. I heard that the wait list is growing.

Next I need to work on building a local fleet.

C-

C-

Just PM'ed you.