kmcfast

X 24 class is a simplified J 24

Holes filled, looking for ideas on bridle mainsheet? Rope bridle and headknocker block? Or longer traveler track?

X 24 OD Class bring your J 24 and remove the od stuff and Genoa..2018 Delta Ditch Run registration is now open

461FB50E-D1F1-4D70-B233-E09CB398CB3C.jpeg

• Like 1

Puting out notice to all X 24 Fleet Captains. PM me about race schedules, rules, promotions for 2018. The Facebook page is X 24 class association. Thx Kevin McAllister X 24 class president. 

On 11/15/2017 at 1:21 PM, freewheelin said:

seems a miss to create a class without making the j 24 more comfortable/less expensive. flattening her out without railmeat makes a lot of sense. But why slow her down and require 3 to run her. I vote:

• keep the traveler and primaries since they are already there
  • switch to a 120ish headsail on a roller furler
  • allow the main to be roached out
  • ditch the lightweight sailcloth and move back to more durable/less expensive materials
  • add a portapotty

I don't see the value in removing the pulpit or stern rail

I have to agree, it is one thing to simplify the sail plan but why loose valuable things the boat already has. Sailing short handed? Drop the traveler..

In the old days we carried a 120, don't ever remember racing with it. We carried the 150 to around 18knts then dropped to the 100. It makes total sense to optimize any boat but why take it to a point that you can't sail OD anymore. The idea is to be able to do more races not less...

FRENZY

Prototype is almost ready to splash. 4 stantions and lifeline, Gomez blocks, roller furler and some cam cleats woo Hoo we b sailing this weekend.

30FDA191-D127-48F4-AEE0-3A2EA439DE2E.jpeg

eX 24 “Sierra Hotel”  prototype will have a traveler less main sheet like below. Also 2 ratchet blocks per side for the spinnaker sheets and guys. 4” to 6 “ Longer forestay and standard J 24 sails.

F4DE9311-AC26-4FD4-A85B-0535411E6C22.jpeg

The prob with the j-24 is if you rake the mast enough so you have helm the boom can go under the 24" lifelines in a jib! Can make you go swimming.

Putting 4 shorter stantions in. U have any ideas on what the length should be? Standard j 24 is 24” would like to have the legs out on the sloping deck.

How about using the same one's they use on a J/70?  Should be readily available...puts lifelines at 305 mm above sheer, or just over 12 inches...(12.0079) 

12” is good, 14” is also common. Minnie’s has crates of used ones of many lengths. Long Dead J 24s in the Club dry sail lot are showing preparations....

Or pick a length, and cut down the current ones.  14 probably easier to slide under, esp with the sloping deck.  Also makes a more comfortable back rest for driver/trimmer.  Neither is high enough to not be a trip hazzard, so that's not a factor in the decision...

Sailing the eX 24 prototype with spin / guy sheets just 2  big harken ratchets per side, No winches on the boat. Any thoughts?

Winches are for genoas.

Edit: ratchets on the rear can be problematic. Be sure you can turn them off. Never had much luck with autos turning the line 180 degrees and releasing.

These are old harken ratchets with knobs. I’ve used double ratchets on melges 24s but not symmetrical kites. Thx

Cut down used 24” stantions  to 13” $32 total. Shooting for a splash on the 15 th for 1st. race.

51A9752C-F39F-4EDF-A3B5-2C6661AB9118.jpeg

On 3/11/2018 at 3:12 AM, Varan said:

Windward sheeting with trimmer to leeward?

Not a good thing!!  We cross sheet to the windward primary on the Soverel 27, when we have enough breeze to need all the crew weight to weather....

April 28th SSC Opening Day “Sierra Hotel” eX 24 will be on trailer display and demos later in the day wind permitting. Bring your sunscreen, Free and Open to everyone.

2 hours ago, kmcfast said:

eX 24’s white one is done 2 more J’s to go. Get smooth headed carriage bolts to fill the holes where the winches use to be.

7523356C-D633-451C-A0CD-F0A94B411920.jpeg

How many changes are you actually making? Am I wrong to say that there are no changes to the hull besides stanchons pulpits and winches? 

How would a retrofitted full length batten or two go in the top of the main and jib. That way you could blade them out and depower without flogging the shit out of them. This might fix some of the shitty shape issues with older sails . 

I'd also like to see a floating jib lead system with inhaulers so you could depower the jib in a gust quickly and power back up without messing with the sheet to help keep her on her feet with only three crew. 

It would be interesting to try a slightly longer pole. Might need a bridle for the lift and downhaul to stop it bending?

These could be very cheap mods to an old suit of sails, and it would be easy enough to go back to class in the future if you wanted to. 

11 hours ago, kmcfast said:

Took off winches, put Stainless Steel carriage bolts in the holes.

Why not just fill the holes with a suitable material instead?

On 11/16/2017 at 12:10 PM, ajbram said:

Also, bolting on a keel bulb can't be any more expensive than replacing a deck.

And the keel stub is going to absorb the extra bending moment how?

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

And the keel stub is going to absorb the extra bending moment how?

I'm no engineer. I was just brainstorming how you could make a J/24 less crew weight - dependent without depowering it to the pint that it is no fun to sail.

3 hours ago, fastyacht said:

5 people crew was de rigueur back in the day. 3 crew? Good luck. It is a big dinghy. Maybe trapeze and leave the genoa ;-P

Yeah, traps is just what you want for geezers who no longer want to deal with a kite?!  LOL!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why not just fill the holes with a suitable material instead?

That way you can return it to  a J 24 if you wish.

8 hours ago, ajbram said:

I'm no engineer. I was just brainstorming how you could make a J/24 less crew weight - dependent without depowering it to the pint that it is no fun to sail.

See I C 24 s  more rake and floating jib leads should handle it under 22 knots

12 hours ago, polar said:

How would a retrofitted full length batten or two go in the top of the main and jib. That way you could blade them out and depower without flogging the shit out of them. This might fix some of the shitty shape issues with older sails . 

I'd also like to see a floating jib lead system with inhaulers so you could depower the jib in a gust quickly and power back up without messing with the sheet to help keep her on her feet with only three crew. 

It would be interesting to try a slightly longer pole. Might need a bridle for the lift and downhaul to stop it bending?

These could be very cheap mods to an old suit of sails, and it would be easy enough to go back to class in the future if you wanted to. 

That’s why we are using standard j 24 main, jib, spin. A longer forestay fixes many problems with the boat balance.