• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Halcyon Yachts

The best sailing film for a long time

3 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

Nothing beats Master and Commander, imo. It has only gotten better with time.

what not waterworld?  or Wind?  :) .  

What I would love to see is an adaptation of the book Blood Orange - (book about an ORMA like circuit) or one about the North atlantic VOR leg from Baltimore to England, or the Fastnet or Sydney Hobart storms.

Who wants to watch a depressing film about Crowhurst?  I can think of dozens of stories that would be more uplifting.  How about a movie based on Race to Freedom : A Tale of an Impossible Around the World Journey by  Vladislav Murnikov?

Vanishing Sail tells the story of the last master boatwright in the island of Carriacou in the Eastern Caribbean. Building boats by eye on the beach with hand tools. 

Go see it if you get the chance, I found it entrancing. 

I have met Alwyn and his sons, they are the real deal. 

1-Carriacou Hillsborough and Windward 016.JPG

40 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Who wants to watch a depressing film about Crowhurst?  I can think of dozens of stories that would be more uplifting.

Agreed.  Plus, aren't there something like 10 movies about Crowhurst already out there?

• Like 1

yeah you guys are right - stay home and beat off to wind for the 57th time. why bother seeing something new with a first rate actor to boot! fuck that!

I don't have a problem with the name. It was one of the last things he scribbled in his log before he apparently walked off the boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

Agreed.  Plus, aren't there something like 10 movies about Crowhurst already out there?

"With its allegorical layers and unresolved puzzles, Crowhurst’s tragic fate has proven irresistible to numerous artists over the decades, inspiring more than a dozen stage plays, novels, poems, operas, songs and visual art projects. Long before Rumley and Marsh, several filmmakers already tackled this story, notably Jerry Rothwell and Louise Osmond in their prize-winning 2006 documentary Deep Water."

Deep Water was a B/W(?)  near pure documentary with some reenactments. "The greatest challenge was probably the fact that after Crowhurst sets sail there is very little material to either reveal or illustrate what happened on his voyage. There were about eight minutes of footage of him on his boat, several hours of audio recordings, some telegrams home and his log."   I found it interesting, but more like a 60 Minutes presentation than a drama movie.

Strangely, a second contemporary Crowhurst movie, entitled "Crowhurst", will be released soon after "Mercy":

"World-premiered last week at Oldenburg International Film Festival, 'Crowhurst' is also newsworthy because it coincides with a forthcoming big-screen dramatization of the same events, The Mercy, made with a stellar cast on a significantly larger budget. Directed by James Marsh (The Theory of Everything), the rival production will star Colin Firth and Rachel Weisz. In a bizarre tactical move, Studio Canal are set to release both films, having bought the rights to Crowhurst with a contractual stipulation to launch it theatrically soon after rolling out 'The Mercy'."

Surely enough grist to keep Crowhurst aficionados atwitter.   But the backstory about the:

"Sunday Times Golden Globe Race was a non-stop, single-handed, round-the-world yacht race, held in 1968–1969, and was the first round-the-world yacht race. The race was controversial due to the failure of most competitors to finish the race and because of the suicide of one entrant; however, it ultimately led to the founding of the BOC Challenge and Vendée Globe round-the-world races, both of which continue to be successful and popular."

Is more profound than Crowhurst's sad demise.  Those that care can learn a lot about the 1968 GGR by reading the excellent Wikipedia compendium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Times_Golden_Globe_Race .

I'm sure it won't be any worse than the awful 'All is lost' although that's now quite fun to watch to see if you can spot any more idiocy. 

On a recent plane ride I tried to watch Moana on your guys' behalf in order to be able to provide some opinion about the sailing but the first ten minutes was so annoying I completely failed. 

I think the Crowhurst story is fascinating. I hope that the Crowhurst family will be fairly compensated. I'm very much looking froward to seeing it.

Concerning the movie "Wind", I had the opportunity (it was just lying there so I helped myself) to read one of the screenplays when I was staying at the director's house. I am pretty sure that most sailing people would have appreciated it much more than the story that it became to be. It was more about the older Americas cup boats, more classic sailing scenes. There was no engineer in the desert building a race boat -  that was a total surprise to me when I saw the movie. Of course the whole thing was a surprise since it bore almost no resemblance to what I had read.

1 hour ago, TimD said:

I'm sure it won't be any worse than the awful 'All is lost' although that's now quite fun to watch to see if you can spot any more idiocy. 

I thought "All is lost" was stunning. The first time I watched it I sat motionless the entire time, in stunned disbelief. Some day I'll have to watch it again to see if it really was as bad as my first impression led me to believe.

6 hours ago, Editor said:

why bother seeing something new with a first rate actor to boot! fuck that!

yeah, well, we already kinda know how it ends...

1 hour ago, W9GFO said:

I thought "All is lost" was stunning. The first time I watched it I sat motionless the entire time, in stunned disbelief. Some day I'll have to watch it again to see if it really was as bad as my first impression led me to believe.

holy fuck did that suck. stunned is right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Editor said:
2 hours ago, W9GFO said:

holy fuck did that suck. stunned is right.

We watched that as a family on the boat. I forget where we were at the time, it was definitely after we sailed to the Marquesas with a broken autopilot.

The kids were rolling their eyes and raging almost as much as I was.

8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

On a recent plane ride I tried to watch Moana on your guys' behalf in order to be able to provide some opinion about the sailing but the first ten minutes was so annoying I completely failed. 

Moana is a cracker move, it has my 3yo daughter daily out in a kayak with a beach umbrella in it pretending to sail.

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

what not waterworld?  or Wind?  :) .  

What I would love to see is an adaptation of the book Blood Orange - (book about an ORMA like circuit) or one about the North atlantic VOR leg from Baltimore to England, or the Fastnet or Sydney Hobart storms.

any idea who the author is? sounds like it could be a good read..

Ya'all may have missed "the weekend sailor"  An award winning documentary about Mexican Ramon Carlin's remarkable win in the very first Whitbread round the world race. 

It is highly regarded as brilliant!!

The book 'A voyage for madmen' has a great overview of the whole 1968 race including some of the lesser-known entrants, not just the main ones.

It's very well written and very absorbing

Because it is so expensive to make a movie on the water, it has to appeal to a larger audience than just sailors for the producers to afford it.  That is why you either need some celebrity sailing a boat or some Crowhurst type disaster or you can just watch The Reef (what happens when the keel falls off your sailboat). 

The Reef.jpg

I'm working on a screenplay for 'The Billionaire and the Mechanic'. I'll will need a generous VC, and a intro to a major studio. If you can fund my movie, and get me said intro, I'll let you rename the film; and the title will be? 

4 hours ago, alctel said:

The book 'A voyage for madmen' has a great overview of the whole 1968 race including some of the lesser-known entrants, not just the main ones.

It's very well written and very absorbing

That is a good book.

Although not a sailing move, the mainstream Hollywood docudrama "The Perfect Storm" was a good watch.

10 hours ago, Jazz Freak said:

any idea who the author is? sounds like it could be a good read..

Sam Llewellyn. Read it and some of his other books many years ago. Very enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 7:10 AM, TQA said:

Vanishing Sail tells the story of the last master boatwright in the island of Carriacou in the Eastern Caribbean. Building boats by eye on the beach with hand tools. 

Go see it if you get the chance, I found it entrancing. 

I have met Alwyn and his sons, they are the real deal. 

'Two slutty schoolgirls get banged in the gym' tells the story of two wayward , shaven school friends  experimenting with forbidden love on the vaulting horse before being caught by the African American gym teacher with huge hands.

Go see it if you get the chance, I found it entrancing

2 hours ago, axolotl said:

Although not a sailing move, the mainstream Hollywood docudrama "The Perfect Storm" was a good watch.

It was good. Didn't care for the 200+ ft monster wave at the end. It was billed as a true story but the part of the story where the ship is lost is not known. Not knowing that everyone died I was surprised at the ending to find there was no one left to tell what had happened.

On 17/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, W9GFO said:

I thought "All is lost" was stunning. The first time I watched it I sat motionless the entire time,...

I too had the same feeling. Waking up after it finished was hard to.

Another sailing movie about a disaster.

I would much rather to see one about a winning race boat or record setting circumnavigation.

Perhaps a modern one on Robin Lee Graham or Tania Aebi.

Would be nice to see a sailing movie about sailors who finish their voyage for a change.

42 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Would be nice to see a sailing movie about sailors who finish their voyage for a change.

Better still if Robert Redford wasn't saved we would be none the wiser and happy.

On 17/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, Swanno said:

Moana is a cracker move, it has my 3yo daughter daily out in a kayak with a beach umbrella in it pretending to sail.

What's this downvote crap, FO?

The more down votes you get, the more esteemed your reputation on Sailing Anarchy.

if you collect enough down votes, you can even be considered for the role of Editor.

5 hours ago, IPLore said:

The more down votes you get, the more esteemed your reputation on Sailing Anarchy.

if you collect enough down votes, you can even be considered for the role of Editor.

Your reputation is going the wrong way.  :P