• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
The Main Man

The Ashes 2017

On 20/11/2017 at 7:06 AM, Derek Grebe said:

never good to peak early....

And it ended up as a drawn series. Well, it all kicks off tomorrow. Here's hoping I wake up to good news!

It has been discussed on here before, much like we have discussed how the World series of Baseball only features teams from North America. 

"The term originated in a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, immediately after Australia's 1882 victory at The Oval, their first Test win on English soil. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and "the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia".The mythical ashes immediately became associated with the 1882–83 series played in Australia, before which the English captain Ivo Bligh had vowed to "regain those ashes".

Ignore what some might say; cricket is a far superior game to baseball, there are so many nuisances and influences on how the game is played and won; apart from tactics and player ability there are other factors such as the weather, how long and green the grass on the pitch is and how dense the soil beneath the grass is. 

There are currently 3 main formats of the game. At it's most basic is 20/20. Each team faces a maximum of 120 balls or pitches. Short, fast and furious the game is over in a couple of hours; think windward/ leeward. One day is longer with each team facing a maximum of 300 balls: think club course. Unless the ball is severely damaged or lost, the same ball is used for those 300 pitches, which means that it handles and flies differently through the air as it loses it's shine and the core is bashed. Equally the grass pitch changes over the course of the game equally effecting how the ball bounces of it. 

And then there is test cricket which is played over a maximum of 5 full days, each team can have up to two batting innings, this can include all of the teams 11 players including the bowlers- there is no designated hitters. But if the opening batters don't get out they can bat right through the whole inning. The ball is changed after every 500 balls or so, but over the 5 days the way the ball bounces on the grass pitch as it drys out gets warn etc. changes how the ball flies through the air. Add in player fatigue, concentration levels, pressure and it is a true test of the players skill, cunning and determination; think ocean racing.

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

37 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Got it. It all makes sense now.

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Good start by the Aussies. Cook out caught at 1st slip in the 3rd over

mmm...seems that was the only joy for the Aussies in the 1st session. 59/1 at lunch.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:46 AM, Dorado said:

So why do they call it The Ashes ?

because when Australia first beat England on their home ground, they took the bails (the little sticks that must not fall off the upright sticks (stumps) while the ball in "in play" )

Burned them and placed the ashes in an old tatty soccer trophy that someone found lying around..that same little old trophy filled with burned bails is what they still battle over..though no doubt due to it's fragility, it never actually leaves england.. It's kept at Lords...

or so I've heard..It's all a bit mysterious :)

1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

Dreads covered it much better yesterday Meli..but never mind, carry on :P

dreads didn't mention the urn or ashes though..really want to mystify the seppos' C&P bits of the ABC live blog :D

"OH HO HO HO! Anderson gets Smith right in the exact place you do not want to get hit. Smith is on his haunches, doing some heavy breathing and trying to put on a brave face.

FOUR! Smith recovers from his brush with crotchal agony to drive off the back foot, beautifully through the gap at cover."

"
Ali to Smith, who gets through a maiden over.

Detaiils scant on that over because there was a BIT OF BIFFO IN THE STANDS right beneath the media centre! Every journo and producer rushed to the window to see a bunch of scrappers laying into each other, punches flying, beers thrown, and police called in.

It was ... dramatic."

"Broad to bowl "what should be the last over of the day", he said knowingly.

Marsh happy to play with caution here. Broad sends down a bouncer which Marsh evades.

YORKER! Marsh digs it out. One ball to come.

Last ball drifts down the leg side - Marsh follows it, but doesn't make contact. Thankfully. Marsh is scampering off the field because THAT IS STUMPS."

4 for 165..looks like it's going to be a good season :)

Agreed.

And Meli - real cricket afficionados follow the cricket on ESPN Cricinfo these days - much more betterer coverage :D

1 hour ago, The Main Man said:

Honours still even I'd say?

Yeah I would have to agree, everything is pretty even at this point

Mmm... I go out for an early morning bike ride, get home and find the Aussies only put on 47 runs for the loss of three wickets in first session. Would have to say advantage England atm :(

Sorry folks but having got back from Twickenham and have just watched my team dismantle AUS rugby, permission to shout bravo at annoyingly loud volume? BRAVO! (Ok, I accept it was 15 v 14 for half the game but he deserved the red)

4 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

Sorry folks but having got back from Twickenham and have just watched my team dismantle AUS rugby, permission to shout bravo at annoyingly loud volume? BRAVO! (Ok, I accept it was 15 v 14 for half the game but he deserved the red)

Are the Wallabies on tour at the moment?  

57 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

Yep, Scotland stuffed them

No coverage locally which might be a good thing

Anyway...back to the cricket...Joe Root out. 5 down with less than a 100 lead. Pendulum swung to Aussies bigly.

On 19/11/2017 at 5:00 AM, albanyguy said:

The first of quite a few wins over the Poms this summer 

We won’t mention the rugby then! :lol:

10 hours ago, Rushman said:

No coverage locally which might be a good thing

It probably wasn’t pleasant to watch if you’re Australian. 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

We won’t mention the rugby then! :lol:

Mad didn't realise we played the Poms last night, thought it was the Scots :P:lol:

3 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Mad didn't realise we played the Poms last night, thought it was the Scots :P:lol:

Hey, I support the Poms and anybody beating Australia. :P:P

Well that's 1 down with 4 to go B) 

And done with a canter...and apparently the highest opening partnership EVER in a successful run chase. Well done Warner & Bancroft

Oh and who cares about Thugby? This is a cricket thread.

On 27/11/2017 at 1:14 AM, albanyguy said:

Well that's 1 down with 4 to go B) 

And done with a canter...and apparently the highest opening partnership EVER in a successful run chase. Well done Warner & Bancroft

Oh and who cares about Thugby? This is a cricket thread.

Most of England and NZ when the Aussies lose :)

On 27/11/2017 at 12:09 PM, dreadom said:

- I went to a state school.

We all have our crosses to bear.

11 hours ago, dreadom said:

Second Test begins this weekend, Day/Night test with the pink ball. Anyone willing to tip the winner?

Australia by a innings in under 4 days. This is the worse England side in decades. Aging predictable swing bowling attack and a batting lineup that has no sack. Going to be a long cold winter for English cricket fans.

On 27/11/2017 at 1:27 AM, mad said:

Hey, I support the Poms and anybody beating Australia. :P:P

Who you cheering for in the Rugby Leaugue World Cup final tomorrow? It might be hard not to confuse the football and cricket scores. 

27 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Australia by a innings in under 4 days. This is the worse England side in decades. Aging predictable swing bowling attack and a batting lineup that has no sack. Going to be a long cold winter for English cricket fans.

Fucking good thing I don’t follow cricket! 5 days and no result, might as well go and argue with Randum. 

35 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Who you cheering for in the Rugby Leaugue World Cup final tomorrow? It might be hard not to confuse the football and cricket scores. 

That’s a bit of a conundrum, on this occasion (especially as its League) I would prefer the Poms to win, 

But I would like to refer to rule #2,   The kiwis cant win at this one and may shut the fuck up for a day or 2. 

I’ll cheer on either side based on that result  

43 minutes ago, dreadom said:

“I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth”

Was it a family heirloom?

On 11/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, dreadom said:

The 30+ year winning streak at the Gabba is still intact. 

Never cared for Union- I went to a state school. 

So did I...and we had a helluva rugby team...or so we thought, until we came up against Matraville and the Ella brothers, another state school...

All league on the Mid North Coast during the 80’s. I went to infants at Matraville, I’m glad we moved Rugby isn’t worth living in that shithole. 

19 hours ago, dreadom said:

Second Test begins this weekend, Day/Night test with the pink ball. Anyone willing to tip the winner?

Well since Anderson had a bit of a whinge that the Aussies were acting like bullies I think we all know their collective state of mind. The Poms that is.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-01/anderson-unhappy-at-australian-bullying/9214724?section=sport

Aussies in 4 days but not by an innings. If we bat first then win by over 200 runs. Bat 2nd then 7 wicket or better win.

So Joe Root wins the toss and sends the Aussies in to bat. Bold move. We'll see in about 90 minutes to see if it's worked, and then the night session.

1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

And not just the cricket :D

Feeling for you Mad, really am :lol::lol:

Thanks for the sympathy 

:D

The Poms are just getting smashed at dinner on Day 2.

Declare now and get 5 poms out before stumps.

You still up Main Man? Your broadband working?

I think it's going to be a very bad start to your day with Stoneman already gone.

Another 20 overs to go and if they only lose 1 more wicket then they've probably done OK. 3 more and Joe Root's bold gamble on the toss will make him look very foolish.

Edit: Bugger it's raining...in December...in Adelaide...who'd a thunk it :unsure:

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

You still up Main Man? Your broadband working?

I think it's going to be a very bad start to your day with Stoneman already gone.

Another 20 overs to go and if they only lose 1 more wicket then they've probably done OK. 3 more and Joe Root's bold gamble on the toss will make him look very foolish.

Edit: Bugger it's raining...in December...in Adelaide...who'd a thunk it :unsure:

Sadly, yes. Unless Cook stays in tomorrow it's all over I'd say.

Saw this on my Facebook Newsfeed just now from the Ashes memes page.

No automatic alt text available.

I'm guessing it's because of the way Broad got into Handscomb's face when he got him out. I agree, Stuart went too far.

Main Man - whatever you do, don't turn on the TV, listen to the radio or fire up the broadband. Just go back to sleep.

Vince was out in the 2nd over of the day, Root came and went for 9 and now Cook prodded at one off Lyon and gone too.

England now 88/4. You'll be happier asleep :lol::lol:

3 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Main Man - whatever you do, don't turn on the TV, listen to the radio or fire up the broadband. Just go back to sleep.

Vince was out in the 2nd over of the day, Root came and went for 9 and now Cook prodded at one off Lyon and gone too.

England now 88/4. You'll be happier asleep :lol::lol:

Grumpy face on.......at 220 or so for 8 I definitely should have stayed asleep! :wacko:

Read a cracking comment on the BBC commentary which went something like "The Ashes in Australia is like leaving a toddler in the playroom  alone. You hope they've done something amazing but deep down you know they've made a total mess!"

Will be interesting to see if Smith is brave enough to enforce the follow on if England dismissed for less than 242 given it's the night session.

I doubt it. Decision taken out of his hands if Overton, Broad & Anderson can stick around long enough. In their interest too as well.

Edit: And they didn't get there but it looks like Aussies going to bat

9 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Saw this on my Facebook Newsfeed just now from the Ashes memes page.

No automatic alt text available.

I'm guessing it's because of the way Broad got into Handscomb's face when he got him out. I agree, Stuart went too far.

Anybody post a link to the send off?? it seems to be geo blocked from all the Aus sites

1 hour ago, mad said:

Anybody post a link to the send off?? it seems to be geo blocked from all the Aus sites

Not seen it myself other than a picture on the BBC - looks like he roared in his face a bit but happy to be told otherwise if incorrect!

Yep good end to the day for England but we still have a 268 run lead with 6 wickets remaining and you guys gotta bat tomorrow night. Still advantage Australia at the moment.

5 hours ago, mad said:

Can read the link, but all video is Forbidden X

Thanks anyway, hopefully it'll hit the news here soon

Hard to form any sort of opinion without being able to watch it but it seems a bit innocuous from the article. Obviously would prefer to see good sportsmanship!

5 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Yep good end to the day for England but we still have a 268 run lead with 6 wickets remaining and you guys gotta bat tomorrow night. Still advantage Australia at the moment.

I'll be very surprised if AUS don't win this too, but I can still hope ;)

Yes the Pom bowlers stepped up last night. Good on them. Don't know what was the worst captaincy decision of this test so far - Roots decision to bat or Smith not making the poms bat again. It would have been the Australian quicks with the new ball last night if they did but about 10 ks faster. Declaration at 300 lead then England all out by stumps tonight is my prediction. 

I think Smith will want more than 300 lead. Probably more like 400, which they may get by mid 2nd session, unless they get a wriggle on in the first session, but unlikely given scoring rate to date. Poms may get skittled by close of play but me thinks they'll be back tomorrow but with less than 4 wickets to get.

looks like you are right - 300 lead up and nothing from Smith. No way can this England top order chase 300 in the 4th innings at Adelaide oval. Come on Steve - give everyone a day off tomorrow.

Looks like it'll be a 350ish lead. Plenty of time to knock England over given the change of innings will likely align with the tea break. Plenty of time to get the runs needed too but with the wicket deteriorating I don't like England's chances. Could very well be over tonight and if so then my prediction last Friday is looking pretty good although could be a bit less than 200.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:17 PM, albanyguy said:

Aussies in 4 days but not by an innings. If we bat first then win by over 200 runs. Bat 2nd then 7 wicket or better win.

5 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Looks like it'll be a 350ish lead. Plenty of time to knock England over given the change of innings will likely align with the tea break. Plenty of time to get the runs needed too but with the wicket deteriorating I don't like England's chances. Could very well be over tonight and if so then my prediction last Friday is looking pretty good although could be a bit less than 200.

Still don't think we'll win this but a good fight today from England. Roooooooooot.

19 minutes ago, DtM said:

Too true.

All over in a flash today.

2 nil no chance of the Poms retaining the Ashes.

Today's over already? We caught a little of it yesterday, the last hour or so and the first wicket on the English side.

Very Aussie moment...sitting in a maccas watching cricket whilst waiting out a rain storm and for a bloke who called from Gumtree to show up and buy my microwave. I might be going native.