Sign in to follow this  
The Main Man

The Ashes 2017

Great to see England showing some sack at last. They will still lose this test but at least it will go to day 5. The long tail is next. 

Looks like a great day to be batting...only problem is England can't keep on batting for too long coz the forecast now looks worse for Day 4 & 5. Unless they can knock the Aussies over for 200 less than they get then I think they'll be heading to the Boxing Day Test with Aussies up 2-0.

Edit: The South African Malan skies a ball to backward point and caught...3 balls later Ali out for a 2nd ball duck. Collapse about to happen??

Hehe...make that 4 down in 5 overs and Starc back in the attack to wrap things up. Aussies will have two full sessions to bat today. We'll take that thank you very much :lol:

I have a feeling they will. England have let this slip bigly. The way they got skittled showed how brittle their minds are. Fleet Street are going to have a field day this morning their time :lol:

At stumps delicately balanced with Aussies 200 behind with 7 wickets in hand. Smith will push on to the century tomorrow morning. 

I feel for Root. The poms got a good start, then collapsed and Smith is now making his bowlers look like they would be more at home in a backyard game than in an ashes test. At least after this series he will be able to concentrate on his batting without the burden of captaincy. :) 

Sure is...and now Captain Smith brings up the double ton in consummate ease.

Root needs to take some lessons from this man. I recall a stat earlier in the day that Tubby brought up...since Smith has been captain he's averaged above 72. With this innings it's ticked up a bit more again.

Aussies should bat till stumps, pile on some runs, be 170 runs ahead then see what the weather is likely to do tomorrow and then decide whether to declare or not.

I heard a rumour that the England bowling coach has been trying to call Chris Froome. 

33 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I heard a rumour that the England bowling coach has been trying to call Chris Froome. 

We need Lance Armstrong juice to get out of this one. 

• Like 1

No what you need are 11 guys who don't capitulate and hide in the corner when the going starts to get a bit tough. Ticker I think it's called. Their minds are shot and until that's fixed they got no chance.

Re the rain - they should get through the first two sessions without too much trouble. Last session will likely be a different story. As for tomorrow it'll be the opposite.

Anderson just taken Marsh and Smith and as I type Starc is run out.

Life left in the game yet. 7/561!

Not now...630/7. One positive out of this Test for England is that they've clocked up 7 centuries...pity 5 of them are from the bowlers :lol::lol:

I obviously spoke too soon. Two down now and starting to look like shot ducks. The only question remaining is how long can they last.

Hey Main Man & Mad - you better get to the early Sunday morning church service to have any chance of your rain prayers being answered today. Weather is about to hit where I am but up in Perth it'll be a while yet.

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Hey Main Man & Mad - you better get to the early Sunday morning church service to have any chance of your rain prayers being answered today. Weather is about to hit where I am but up in Perth it'll be a while yet.

I think we need something of Biblical proportions here....

5 hours ago, albanyguy said:

I’m doing what our cricket team do so well......... I’m off to the pub for a Sunday drink or 3. 

Main man, what’s your poison? 

7 hours ago, mad said:

I’m doing what our cricket team do so well......... I’m off to the pub for a Sunday drink or 3. 

Main man, what’s your poison? 

I'm not fussy ;). Glass of red on the go at the moment but a G&T is always nice. As is rum, whisky, beer....just NO tequila!

Well the day has dawned on the left coast of Oz, and boy what a night it's been. Over 20mm of rain from a deep low pressure system...in mid-December...in Perth. Unbelievable. Some might argue it was preordained...to torment you poor Englishman because if it held off until about now then I doubt there'd be much play today :lol: 

Unfortunately for you lot the worst has passed and although I doubt play will commence at 1030 local time, play will commence sometime before the lunch break. There may be a few intermittent showers blow through but it will not be heavy enough to save England. If the ball moves around at 140+kmh then I think it'll all be over within a couple of hours and the Ashes will be coming back to Australia at the final Ashes Test at the WACA.  Great way to sign off Ashes cricket at the WACA.

14 hours ago, albanyguy said:

What a rip snorter of a delivery from Starc to bowl Vince. 145kmh leg break. Even Smith couldn't have done anything about that.

Here are Vince's thoughts on it. And you get to see it about another 10 times. Ball of the century. What a fucking ripper!

The Lyons one that got Root was a stinger as well. He gave it so many revs that the keeper could'nt hold it. That Smith chap is really coming along...

https://youtu.be/XVcxqdNoH_A

LB all the best for today mate.

When you've got a moment you might want to check into the byelections thread in PA where Random has made a couple of comments about the ALP candidate in the Bennelong by-election. I think you can have some fun there, if you're up for it later today :lol:

9 hours ago, The Main Man said:

I'm not fussy ;). Glass of red on the go at the moment but a G&T is always nice. As is rum, whisky, beer....just NO tequila!

From what I’m hearing, may as start the commiseration drinks early!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Here are Vince's thoughts on it. And you get to see it about another 10 times. Ball of the century. What a fucking ripper!

The Lyons one that got Root was a stinger as well. He gave it so many revs that the keeper could'nt hold it. That Smith chap is really coming along...

https://youtu.be/XVcxqdNoH_A

Fuck it, why is nothing the Ashes available to watch here? Geo blocked  

Maybe it’s just saving us the misery until later. 

3 hours ago, albanyguy said:

LB all the best for today mate.

When you've got a moment you might want to check into the byelections thread in PA where Random has made a couple of comments about the ALP candidate in the Bennelong by-election. I think you can have some fun there, if you're up for it later today :lol:

Cheers mate - bloody awful but its over and time to move forward. I might go and cheer my self up with a bit of bitch slapping. 

58 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Cheers mate - bloody awful but its over and time to move forward. I might go and cheer my self up with a bit of bitch slapping. 

Cheer yourself up with the fact that it's almost over for the Poms too. Ali just got done for dinner by Lyon and there's only 4 more bunnies to get.

Have fun in PA.

Edit: And he delivers. Well played LB. Yes Bill does like his celeb candidates in Bennelong.

I always wondered why the Rampart Lion in the England team logo had such a long tail.

england_cricket_team_logo-svg.png?w=350&h=200&crop=1

Gone. It's all over. Aussies win the 3rd Test by an Innings and 41 runs and regain the Ashes.

Looked like Anderson copped a bit of a barrage and the first ball he faced got him in the head and rattled him a bit.

Time to lick the wounds and get ready for Boxing Day where I hope England show some fight.

4 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Gone. It's all over. Aussies win the 3rd Test by an Innings and 41 runs and regain the Ashes.

Looked like Anderson copped a bit of a barrage and the first ball he faced got him in the head and rattled him a bit.

Time to lick the wounds and get ready for Boxing Day where I hope England show some fight.

You and me both! Wonder if they'll make any changes. Could do with a bit more pace in the attack!

16 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Looks like the Australian coach is getting a bit big headed. 

IMG_6459.JPG

I just noticed something...

shrek.jpg?quality=100&w=650

• Like 1

Pearler of a day here in Melbourne for the one we all wait for. :D

Too bad the pitch is as flat as a tack...standing for the 6's could get a little dull.

Curran tempts Warner in to a false stroke on 99 and gets his maiden test wicket.....until a replay shows no part of the foot behind the line...Warner promptly does a 180 then leg glances next ball to bring up his century....bwahahaha...sort of sums up England's Ashes series so far

MM things are looking up for you Poms on Day 2.  We gave it all away and you only have 327 to chase.  Currently 0/17

Well well well...Cook has remembered how to bat, albeit on a fairly flat track. Well done on the double ton. Bout time we knocked over Broad though...he's getting a bit lucky.

Well done Cook,

I was listening on the radio this morning at work. Seems they've taken Viv Richards off the board in the members before the game is even over. 

A bit disrespectful,  I was there when he made that double ton. Absolutely one of Crickets proudest moments the standing ovation he got from the whole ground.

• Like 1

Bit of the Cook of old and a career saving knock. Can't see that England attack knocking us over today though. 

The way the Aussies are scoring it'll only take a couple more wickets in the next hour and England are in with a chance, especially if they get Smith. Effectively 19/4 atm

And the game is called. Excellent rear guard batting by the Aussies, led by Smith with another 100, to deny England, who still haven't taken 20 wickets in a test this series.

Fifth Test just started.  Poms are batting first after a 2 hour rain delay during which they have taken lunch.

Starc is back with a tinge of green on the pitch. Simon Katich thinks it will be a good batting wicket.

46 minutes ago, DtM said:

Poms 3 for 120 at tea

Who took the 2nd and 3rd wickets?

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Cummins got Vince caught behind for 25 and Hazelwood trapped Cook in front for 39. Root & Malan have steadied the ship since and they're now 195/3.

12 minutes ago, albanyguy said:
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

Cummins got Vince caught behind for 25 and Hazelwood trapped Cook in front for 39. Root & Malan have steadied the ship since and they're now 195/3.

What's up with Starc? The little bit I watched today he didn't seem...exceptional.

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What's up with Starc? The little bit I watched today he didn't seem...exceptional.

Seems to have hurt himself by the sounds of things

31 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What you talking about? Nothing wrong with Starc. He took the new ball, lulled Root into a false sense of security with giving away 2 fours and then fools him into a flick off the legs only to be caught by a diving Mitch Marsh at square leg. Root gone for 83.

The Poms lose Root and Bairstow in the last ten minutes with the new ball and the day finishes with the Poms 5 for 233 at stumps.

Root needs a good look in the mirror.  Fell to Starc BJ !!

7 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

What you talking about? Nothing wrong with Starc. He took the new ball, lulled Root into a false sense of security with giving away 2 fours and then fools him into a flick off the legs only to be caught by a diving Mitch Marsh at square leg. Root gone for 83.

That took a bit. When I was watching it was earlier - 1/35 or so. 

They were talking about him missing the test in Melbourne and maybe skipping some ODIs to stay healthy for SA.

2 minutes ago, DtM said:

The Poms lose Root and Bairstow in the last ten minutes with the new ball and the day finishes with the Poms 5 for 233 at stumps.

Root needs a good look in the mirror.  Fell to Starc BJ !!

That's good.

4 hours ago, DtM said:

Where in Sydney are you BJ?

Obviously not at the SCG...

15 hours ago, DtM said:

Where in Sydney are you BJ?

Right now we're anchored over in Rose Bay.

On 04/01/2018 at 8:08 AM, B.J. Porter said:

That took a bit. When I was watching it was earlier - 1/35 or so. 

They were talking about him missing the test in Melbourne and maybe skipping some ODIs to stay healthy for SA.

You seem to have developed a slightly unhealthy interest in the game BJ, might be time for you to take a break from OZ. :lol:

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 12:46 PM, The Main Man said:

FFS. I leave the house and get in the car this morning and 2 wickets go.

Well don’t look now!! 

Good time to dredge up childhood nightmares of you Poms...backrow Lillee far left, Thommo far right...:lol:

cmonaussieb.jpg

Poms wilting in the 40c plus temps in Sydney. Aussies put them to the sword in the heat and put the English bowlers out of their misery when declare with a 300 run lead, saving Crane from the ignominy of clocking up a double century in his first innings bowled at Test Level.

And then Stoneman & Cook come out to bat. Stoneman lasts 9 balls before lbw'd by Starc and then Lyon comes on for the 6th over and immediately turns it and on his 5th ball bowls Cook.

Me thinks England want to go home tonight :lol:

Poms now 4 for 68 with 18 overs to go  AND no reviews left. Still 235 behind !!

The day got worse for Root. He ended up in hospital for heat exhaustion and dehydration.  Doubts whether he'll be able to bat today.

I feel for the guy. Nasty hit on the finger, 50 degrees in the middle,  Cummings, Hazelwood and Starc steaming in, Lyon bending it like Beckham and he dug in. Even raised a smile a couple of times. Regardless of the outcome he is a champion. Maybe he should think about immigrating.

Didn't make it past lunch though. Retired hurt/ill again and the rest of them are dropping like flies. 1 wicket to go unless Root comes out, and why would he? What's the point?

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I feel for the guy. Nasty hit on the finger, 50 degrees in the middle,  Cummings, Hazelwood and Starc steaming in, Lyon bending it like Beckham and he dug in. Even raised a smile a couple of times. Regardless of the outcome he is a champion. Maybe he should think about immigrating.

You're getting soft in your old age...

• Like 1

Its over. Like Broads career. South Africa will be a bit more of a challenge. Now all we have to watch is that ODI rubbish.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Its over. Like Broads career. South Africa will be a bit more of a challenge. Now all we have to watch is that ODI rubbish.

Don't I keep seeing ads for 20-20 too? That should hold you over...

But it is not Test cricket.  Hurry up and get to South Africa.

On 08/01/2018 at 3:48 PM, The Main Man said:

Time for some England navel gazing methinks!

It looks like they did do a bit of navel gazing and found Jason Roy for the ODI's. Highest ODI score for England and it looks like they'll get the 305 they need with a few overs to spare for the first win of the summer. Well done...finally.

39 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

It looks like they did do a bit of navel gazing and found Jason Roy for the ODI's. Highest ODI score for England and it looks like they'll get the 305 they need with a few overs to spare for the first win of the summer. Well done...finally.

Yeah about time! He's not too shabby is Roy. He's been part of what's becoming a very good ODI team for a couple of years now.

Fine bash and Root played well to. Certainly beats watching Tennis.