• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
the_abandoned_brane

Sooooo perty...

They look wonderful but they make a truck's steering feel light.

Yeah, and the foot broiler comes standard. And Kate Beckinsale is probably difficult to live with but that doesn't mean she isn't worth it.

They look a lot better with the bumpers attached.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No they don't.

image.png.ad6b00bcf692f1ccbb81c25fd8f6fbe7.png

Aesthetic tastes differ between individuals....

True but only a handful of us are blessed with impeccable taste. ;)

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

True but only a handful of us are blessed with impeccable taste. ;)

Don't give me that, you owned a Hunter.

I've done worse - but I always recognized what I was doing and felt an appropriate level of shame.

Mine has the bumpers. But lacks the louvered hood and strap. The one pictured has been converted to lm specs. I have a basic. I need about $15k in upgrades including a fresh paint job. Perhaps I should go with a gofund me campaign.  Kids with cancer be damned, my healey needs paint.... and a leather strap...

1 hour ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

Mine has the bumpers. But lacks the louvered hood and strap. The one pictured has been converted to lm specs. I have a basic. I need about $15k in upgrades including a fresh paint job. Perhaps I should go with a gofund me campaign.  Kids with cancer be damned, my healey needs paint.... and a leather strap...

Louvers first.

9 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

Back when I was 16 a girlfriend's Antiguan daddy was going to give her an Austin when she got her license. I've inevitably mixed the emotions for that bit of skirt and the Austins since then. It's a lovely ride. British cars from before they took the Super Cheap Highway.

What year do you have?

Mike, we're talking about Healey's or Big Healeys or to be precise, Austin-Healeys, not Austins - never Austins.

This is an Austin.

image.png.19df3d9a8f92fb26a776a8b5c7c011b1.png

My first car was almost an A-H 3000.  The dealer had one each used Triumph TR-4A and A-H 3000.  Drove both of them and liked the A-H better, but couldn’t swing the extra $600, so I bought the Triumph.  Called it Dudley.  It was stolen from in front of my future in-laws home one warm Saturday evening, but the already slipping clutch gave up the ghost completely about 2 miles away and the ner-do-well(s) abandoned it in an overgrown field and broke both headlights.  The po-po found it the next day.  Saved my neck 6 months later when I rolled it.  Next car was a Porsche 356 SC.  Selling that car was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.  

Hi-jack over.

3 minutes ago, J28 said:

Next car was a Porsche 356 SC.  Selling that car was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. 

Wowe, I maye halve some regrettes butte nothing licke that......                            :)

12 minutes ago, J28 said:

Next car was a Porsche 356 SC.  Selling that car was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.  

Hi-jack over.

I sold a 4.2 Series 1 E-Type for $2500. Failed to buy a competition Cobra for $7000 because it was overpriced. :rolleyes: Couldn't really afford a 250 GT Lusso at $22K - now into 7 figures. Passed on a Hemi Cuda at $5500, a '67 Shelby at $4500 etc. etc.

If only we knew then what we know now eh?

15 hours ago, mikewof said:

Back when I was 16 a girlfriend's Antiguan daddy was going to give her an Austin when she got her license. I've inevitably mixed the emotions for that bit of skirt and the Austins since then. It's a lovely ride. British cars from before they took the Super Cheap Highway.

What year do you have?

54. It's a 'driver'. Meaning unrestored, I think it was repainted in the 80s. I'll try to dig up a pic to post.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:15 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Wowe, I maye halve some regrettes butte nothing licke that......                            :)

"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention"

5 hours ago, soak_ed said:

"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention"

'I didde what I hade to do"                                              :)

On 11/20/2017 at 4:15 PM, Snaggletooth said:

In 1970 who knew?

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

I sold a 4.2 Series 1 E-Type for $2500. Failed to buy a competition Cobra for $7000 because it was overpriced. :rolleyes: Couldn't really afford a 250 GT Lusso at $22K - now into 7 figures. Passed on a Hemi Cuda at $5500, a '67 Shelby at $4500 etc. etc.

If only we knew then what we know now eh?

Scrapped a Pontiac LeMans convertible when the right front fender was crunched, because it was cheaper to replace it with another $500 vehicle.  Sold a '66 Morris Mini-Cooper S MkI for $1,500; it just needed CV joints and in interior, as it had recently been an SCCA C Sedan race car. Scrapped a bugeye Sprite, after we went over a bank and endoed it.   And, I am sure there were others...... 

On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 AM, IStream said:

Yeah, and the foot broiler comes standard. And Kate Beckinsale is probably difficult to live with but that doesn't mean she isn't worth it.

The car looks more like Beckisale's mother. Not bad it you aren't into fast performance, constantly into replacing suspension points and adding oil when you what to drive it hard.

showbiz-kate-beckinsale-father-tribute-4

On 11/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

...Failed to buy a competition Cobra for $7000 because it was overpriced....

It it safe to assume you had two functioning kidneys and two testicles at that time?????   Pretty sure you could give up a nut 'cause driving that Cobra would cause it to grow back.  Plus, you'll be pulling more tail than a slow kid at the zoo (to quote Craigslist)!

My mum and dad had a 67 AH 3000 - white with red leather interior.  They sold it when they needed seats for the 2nd kid.  There are family pictures of my older brother riding in it.  There are pictures of the collie riding in it.  They sold it before I was born.  Still bitter....

MS