• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cbull17123

Is this Nantucket harbor?

Is this Nantucket Harbor? This image was taken by my father in 1933 at age 13 during a trip to southwestern Rhode Island, after taking a ferry boat somewhere. Anybody recognize the setting?5a11025f36cff_NantucketHarborsm.thumb.jpg.63e0b0a8c233fedc42f360ab552c9fcc.jpg

12 hours ago, cbull17123 said:

Is this Nantucket Harbor? This image was taken by my father in 1933 at age 13 during a trip to southwestern Rhode Island, after taking a ferry boat somewhere. Anybody recognize the setting?5a11025f36cff_NantucketHarborsm.thumb.jpg.63e0b0a8c233fedc42f360ab552c9fcc.jpg

I dunno which harbor it is, that big hotel ought to be recognizable to somebody.... but it's a very cool pic. Thanks for posting it!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Old Harbor, Block Island. The hotel is The National.

I don’t think it’s the National/Old Harbor. The National is 4-5 stories and has a turret in the center, and I found a pic of the National from 1906 also with the turret. And the Old Harbor breakwaters would be in the pic, they were built in 1870.

226.jpg

Could it be Hyannis? It sort of looks like that from the route of the Ferry to Nantucket.

It does have a resemblance to Nantucket harbor and the white elephant hotel but Hyannis is also a good thought.

white-elephant-nantucket-massachusetts-home1-top.jpg

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

With a nose so huge you could fuck it? 

I once knew a girl from Nantucket
With a nose as big as a bucket
When on a catboat
At sea and afloat
She's lay back and say 'please, will you fuck it?'

(Finished/fixed it for ya)

There are ferries to BI and MV, but has there ever been a ferry from RI to Nantucket? It would take at least two from RI today.

According to the website the White Elephant was changed substantially in the 1960s.

This ad, I think from 1938, looks like the OP's pic, so I think Nantucket nails it.

236a1108bcf17db23c2122baff9570fa--nantucket-hotels-print-ads.thumb.jpg.fe91aa51fce18a5e39d360bdda3f22c1.jpg

4 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

According to the website the White Elephant was changed substantially in the 1960s.

This ad, I think from 1938, looks like the OP's pic, so I think Nantucket nails it.

236a1108bcf17db23c2122baff9570fa--nantucket-hotels-print-ads.thumb.jpg.fe91aa51fce18a5e39d360bdda3f22c1.jpg

ding ding ding ding......

4 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

Well done.

Nailed it! Nantucket it is. As to ferry routes, today I think it's two ferry rides: Quonset to Martha's Vineyard, and on from there on to Nantucket. 

He did pass a number of other vessels and took photos, these being new to someone from Ithaca, NY. Apologies as these are not sailboats, but maybe pins down the route.

First is Cross Rip lightship LV-66, on station from 1926 to 1934, based on various old photos on the net.

Second is the ferry Mohican backing engines before docking. Might be from a different day, because camera is different.

Third ferry overtook the one he was on. Same camera as others, fuzzy in the corners, 120 film, a Brownie?

17 sm -noise.jpg

01 sm -noise.jpeg

16 sm -noise.jpeg

On 11/19/2017 at 5:16 PM, BillDBastard said:

Old Harbor, Block Island. The hotel is The National.

Yep, clearly looks like a Beneteau Idylle moored out front, and not a Nantucket Indian (which is Alden design BTW) .  Must be Block. 

Dont be the one to guess if the turkey is done tomorrow,

you havent been right about anything this week. 

Hey, I gave it a shot. IIRC the National looks quite a bit different now-a-days than it did prior to renovations. Right? Wrong? At least I gave it a shot to help the guy out.

You? You are too much a pussy to dare risk squat.

BBQing the bird. Got my thermometer at the ready, but thanks for asking. 

BTW, not wrong about SN, QLM and GB having some common lineage. Frers was a whore in the post IOR era.