• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

On 12/1/2017 at 10:24 AM, stief said:

At last. Something intelligent and well supported to read. I'd almost given up on SA. Thanks for the link.

yah gotta say there's better sandboxes than what's going on these pages.  :unsure:

Related image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Had to laugh at his comments about tracker addiction, and maybe he's right about the VOR promo:

“I was glued to the tracker, and really enjoyed predicting when some boats were going to go well or some were going to go bad.

“It was frustrating to watch sometimes, and it made me think that maybe I should be out there helping them out, but other commitments meant I couldn't.”

In the years since the 2014-15 edition, Mutter has been part of numerous high profile sailing campaigns, and is often asked by skippers to assemble top-flight crews. The responsibility of putting together the world’s best sailors has led to a realisation of his own.

“The go-to guys are always Volvo Ocean Race sailors,” Mutter said. “I hold them in the highest of regards. You know they have amazing skills – they're just the best.”

He continued: “It made me realise just how good these guys are, and that I needed to re-hone my own skills by doing another Volvo Ocean Race. So here I am.”

Looking more and more like VS11 will be the one to knock off the favourites. Dammit ;) 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Maybe an omen stief...first one back in the drink.

DQHEVjFWsAAvUqL.jpeg

Love this!  More racing soon!  This break in between legs has felt too long already. 

• Like 2

MAPF back in too. Hope launch order will not be finishing order.

However, their website was dark with a '500 internal server error' for a couple of days (FB page as shown above was active). Website now up again: anyone know what happened?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

While we're waiting some clean-up has been done

Thanks. Hadn't seen that. Liked all the 'green' messages coming out of Capetown (like the water purifier). Somehow seem less hokey/token this time round.

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Brunel floated.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 9.10.21 PM.png

Could that be Jens Dolmer standing in the middle? He was Brunel's boat captain in the last edition and one of Bouwe's friends and regulars. It surprised me that he wasn't on the crew list so far. The article on Bacan's entering mentioned he might be though at some point. 

Some details on damage to MAPF (minor; small boom 'failure'). #missingtheboatyardreports

"To have been such a long stage (from Lisbon to Cape Town), it has arrived in very good condition, the sails are perfect, the hull also very well, there has been no collision with any object except a small one in the keel. .. But nothing structural that has to be repaired, only a small failure in the boom, but it is simple, this time, almost everything is maintenance, the pole has been dismantled, the steering wheel, the head of the keel ... ", explains Talpi.

gtrans of http://www.marca.com/otros-deportes/volvo-ocean-race/2017/12/03/5a22f37046163fe2528b4588.html 

anyone find anything about the winches and TBRU's toe?

31 minutes ago, sclarke said:

The Volvo 70's are so much better than the 65's. They're bigger, faster and better.

Thank you Captain Obvious

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

Thank you Captain Obvious

Don't mention it. No endless bullshit, just straight to the point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Don't mention it. No endless bullshit, just straight to the point.

How's that ?  A Kiwi posting in an "Aussy Forum" / Melbourne leg topic ?

And no endless bullshit like in the AC forum?  Oh man, you are here in the wrong place then !

Maybe try again for the Auckland leg...

13 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

While we're waiting some clean-up has been done

Looks more a job for Turn the tide on Plastics. Did The crew for Akzo Nobel forgot their main sponsor produces, besides paint, plastic?
https://www.akzonobel.com/about-us/what-we-do/polymer-chemistry
They try to create the right chemistry, I know.
So far plasic recycling, world wide, isn't really succesful.
The crew from Akzo Nobel do deserve a price for most friendly image though.

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

So far plasic recycling, world wide, isn't really succesful.

There are recycling issues world wide for not just plastic. The problem is in many cases recycled stuff costs more to produce than making from scratch. A lot is either sitting in storage/stockpiles or going into landfill. Subsidies, Sweateners and Penalties are currently the only thing that keeps some recycling operations artificially alive pending a change in this economic dynamic.

FWIW, easiest way to scan for team news is to look at their social links, conveniently shown on their VOR team page. Takes less time to scan through the teams than it does to skim past troll posting in the forum.

DFRT has the most links. Just wondering if anyone with experience reading Chinese sites like https://weibo.com/login.php sees something worth noting there.

5a256ecba4ad3_ScreenShot2017-12-04at9_42_41AM.png.5531d6981ec7e6f8e12d96dbfd9c4225.png

Roaring Forties, Furious Fifties and Ice

Published on December 4th, 2017 

British-born meteorologist Libby Greenhalgh, who was navigator for Team SCA in the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race, is providing exclusive insight into the current edition for B&G, the official race electronics supplier. In her latest report, she details the upcoming third leg from Cape Town, RSA to Melbourne, AUS.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/12/04/roaring-forties-furious-fifties-ice/

• Like 1

Sport and our very basic fight for survival

"If Dr Jay Stock and the rest of his research team need to compare like with like then perhaps they should be measuring the bones of the stunningly tough women racing now in the Volvo Ocean Race. The likes of Annie Lush and Liz Wardley are hand-grinding and lumping the ‘stack’ (about 200 kilograms of sail) across the deck for 12 hours a day for 20 days at a time. These professional sailors from the Magenta Project must be the closest thing we have in sport to the ‘hard physical labour’ of the pre-industrial era."

http://www.themixedzone.co.uk/sport-basic-fight-survival/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Sport and our very basic fight for survival

"If Dr Jay Stock and the rest of his research team need to compare like with like then perhaps they should be measuring the bones of the stunningly tough women racing now in the Volvo Ocean Race. The likes of Annie Lush and Liz Wardley are hand-grinding and lumping the ‘stack’ (about 200 kilograms of sail) across the deck for 12 hours a day for 20 days at a time. These professional sailors from the Magenta Project must be the closest thing we have in sport to the ‘hard physical labour’ of the pre-industrial era."

http://www.themixedzone.co.uk/sport-basic-fight-survival/

Good link! Whole article is compelling reading, including this tidbit:

It was only when I got back to the UK, and back at my desk, that I realised the extent of the change in chemistry: my eyesight started to deteriorate rapidly. It got so bad I had to sign myself off work. It turned out that the repeated two-hour sessions of rowing spread throughout the day had meant that I had stopped needing to produce insulin to control my blood sugar levels. The six weeks it took to adapt back into ‘normal’ life was harder on my body than adaption into the row. The research papers indicated it was similar to re-feeding in anorexia.

(By the by, there was one unexplained effect of rowing an ocean, though sadly it only lasted for two weeks: we couldn’t get drunk, and it didn’t matter how much we drank, we failed to wake up with hangovers.)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 9:11 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

How's that ?  A Kiwi posting in an "Aussy Forum" / Melbourne leg topic ?

And no endless bullshit like in the AC forum?  Oh man, you are here in the wrong place then !

Maybe try again for the Auckland leg...

"Aussy Forum" lol no wonder its deteriorated like it has...Aussies, no surprises there.

So this course for the Leg3 start on Sunday will be a messy business, just like last time if memory serves. They will start in the windshadow, slowly get out of it, then have a reaching blast down to the second mark, which in this imprecise map will be somewhere near the beach where we might be able to get near them, and a reach back into the windshadow before drifting down to mark 3 and heading off. Current forecast has a pretty rough first night for them, potentially boat breaking conditions, again much like last time I believe.

Cool--should make for great viewing and tracker watching.

How are the numbers of visitors looking? (expect they'll be light for this point in the week). Also, if you happen to hear, am curious why boatyard news is so quiet this time. Thanks for any other impressions you post here. Missing the coverage we were treated to last edition.

Oh, tell Mark Turner's replacements that we'd like complete and unfettered access to all the data coming off the boats of course :) 

Here's a link to the pilot charts for the Indian Ocean. 

https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal;jsessionid=b0YyhnHH4xyn7JXtl2DdNv7BpvCPSLGJ1B2q2lMDwKnyLMJ7S8Z8!-1265066413!606288098?_nfpb=true&_st=&_pageLabel=msi_pub_detail&CCD_itemID=109&pubConstant=APC

Obviously climate rather than a weather forecast, and with a not unexpected bias against stronger wind readings, but a useful overview of what may happen.

8 hours ago, stief said:

Cool--should make for great viewing and tracker watching.

How are the numbers of visitors looking? (expect they'll be light for this point in the week). Also, if you happen to hear, am curious why boatyard news is so quiet this time. Thanks for any other impressions you post here. Missing the coverage we were treated to last edition.

Oh, tell Mark Turner's replacements that we'd like complete and unfettered access to all the data coming off the boats of course :) 

Numbers of visitors on Monday were very low, if you exclude the streams of school kids, mostly too young to really comprehend what was happening, but the various pavilions did cater to them, with painting, and gifts etc. The boats are all lined up stern to along a dock with fingers. Mapfre has its own finger, then the others are paired on fingers, according to their order of arrival. Normal folks can stand very near and just above the boats and see most everything going on, so it's pretty good viewing. The docks themselves are, of course, off limits to all but the privileged few, but it seemed a few folks not on teams or shore teams had some kind of pass around their necks that got them past security. One of them even jumped on a boat to help winch up a crew member to the spreaders to rig a line. I'm not sure how I will handle Sunday, because the dock out would be fun to watch, but then I need to hurry back to the beach to get out on my kite.

I did not even find the boatyard, and of course Mark Turner's replacements are far beyond my reach!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Numbers of visitors on Monday were very low, if you exclude the streams of school kids, mostly too young to really comprehend what was happening, but the various pavilions did cater to them, with painting, and gifts etc. The boats are all lined up stern to along a dock with fingers. Mapfre has its own finger, then the others are paired on fingers, according to their order of arrival. Normal folks can stand very near and just above the boats and see most everything going on, so it's pretty good viewing. The docks themselves are, of course, off limits to all but the privileged few, but it seemed a few folks not on teams or shore teams had some kind of pass around their necks that got them past security. One of them even jumped on a boat to help winch up a crew member to the spreaders to rig a line. I'm not sure how I will handle Sunday, because the dock out would be fun to watch, but then I need to hurry back to the beach to get out on my kite.

I did not even find the boatyard, and of course Mark Turner's replacements are far beyond my reach!

Thanks for the detailed perspective, and happy kiting. Maybe the replacements will realize what they're missing and rush out and give you the VIP treatment.

Okay, just watched that KEVVLOG #25 again. First, I just missed being in it, because he shows some sections where they are near a blue MAERSK LINE container ship, and that's where I intercepted them, about a mile off the beach. Second, near the end he gets close enough to touch TTOP, and as far as I could tell actually grabs hold of the pushpit and hangs on while in the air for a bit. Damn, that's crazy, with the kite just above their mainsail. Small wonder he exclaims at the end when picked up by their tender.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sclarke said:

"Aussy Forum" lol no wonder its deteriorated like it has...Aussies, no surprises there.

All seven are out sailing around today, while the large square yellow marks are being positioned, perhaps for a short "race" today? The wind is a light SEaster, so everyone has full main. Makes for a colourful scene on the bay.

7 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Okay, just watched that KEVVLOG #25 again. First, I just missed being in it, because he shows some sections where they are near a blue MAERSK LINE container ship, and that's where I intercepted them, about a mile off the beach. Second, near the end he gets close enough to touch TTOP, and as far as I could tell actually grabs hold of the pushpit and hangs on while in the air for a bit. Damn, that's crazy, with the kite just above their mainsail. Small wonder he exclaims at the end when picked up by their tender.

I was wondering if you were in one of the shots . . . 

Pretty fantastic sailing by both TTOP and Kevin, especially when it seems so much could go wrong. Puts perspective on the risks the VOR boats face in Leg 3. Wonder if we'll see Kevin and Alex (kiter also, IIRC) featured in this year's Hugo Boss promo :) 

They had a little twice-around windward-leeward race today way out in the bay where no kiters could reach them! But at least it was a well-set course fully in the SE breeze. All started on starboard, but Mapfre and Dongfeng soon split off to port and banged out to the layline, Mapfre eventually rolling Dongfeng, forcing them to follow to the top mark. Meanwhile a little clusterF of Brunel, Akzo, and Vestas followed with Brunel losing out at the mark having to duck the starboard boats. Scally and TTOP brought up the rear. On the first downwind, Mapfre held their lead, but Vestas turned on afterburners and passed everyone else into second. On the next upwind Dongfeng and Scally lost out badly, and the final finishing order was MV(BAD)ST. I'm not sure of the finishing order for BAD because they were far away and it was a downwind finish and they came in on different gybes. Brunel and Dongfeng are still out there an hour later sailing around as the wind builds, and I'm headed out to go kiting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

They had a little twice-around windward-leeward race today way out in the bay where no kiters could reach them! But at least it was a well-set course fully in the SE breeze. All started on starboard, but Mapfre and Dongfeng soon split off to port and banged out to the layline, Mapfre eventually rolling Dongfeng, forcing them to follow to the top mark. Meanwhile a little clusterF of Brunel, Akzo, and Vestas followed with Brunel losing out at the mark having to duck the starboard boats. Scally and TTOP brought up the rear. On the first downwind, Mapfre held their lead, but Vestas turned on afterburners and passed everyone else into second. On the next upwind Dongfeng and Scally lost out badly, and the final finishing order was MV(BAD)ST. I'm not sure of the finishing order for BAD because they were far away and it was a downwind finish and they came in on different gybes. Brunel and Dongfeng are still out there an hour later sailing around as the wind builds, and I'm headed out to go kiting.

Thanks, easy to picture.

Guessing this is the "Wed 6 December - VO65 Practice Race: 13:55h: Warning Signal VO65 Practice Race", and then we should soon see  that  at "14.00h: Crew, OBR and Guest lists needed to be entered on the Crew & Guest List smartsheet for In-Port Race (SI 6.1)"

Well, I went out kiting, and noticed that one VOR was way down the bay, with a kiter nearby. I think it was Brunel, but I was looking into the sun so could not be sure. And there was a helicopter down low, perhaps filming the kiter. Then the VOR put up a headsail and took off west on a beam reach, and then I realized the kiter, who was pretty far downwind of them, was flying up and up. I tried following as far as I dared, but they were already far ahead and I could barely make out what was happening, but the kiter was eventually easily 10 times the height of the VOR mast and at least that far downwind, with the helicopter following along at his height, presumably filming him. The VOR seemed hard healed, so I have to imagine this was an extreme version of Alex Thompson's kite stunt with Boss. My best guess is it was not Kevin Langaree this time, but his friend Nick Jacobsen, who is well known for wild kiting stunts, for example, in 2011 climbing a crane on a wrecked ship just off the Bloubergstrand beach, and jumping off the top of it, see video.

• Like 1

You've got to be kidding me! Can't wait to see the vid. Thanks, Dragon. So much for the hopes for a Hugo Boss stunt now, but so what? 

And, sounds like you had a great day. Cheers. And the Nick vid is so entertaining--thanks for adding that link.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

........looks like a mighty wave cresting in the background.   Had a few seconds of wtf!  :mellow:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

So Brunel confirms Dragon's guess of Nick Jacobson. Thanks for the find.

Yes.  Sure to be a video forthcoming.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes.  Sure to be a video forthcoming.

Sweet. So VO65's have a future as tow boats :) 

vestas11thhourracing#Repost@_samgreenfield_
・・・
I'll miss wisdom and the gang from @turnthetideonplastic but am stoked to be sailing leg 3 on another boat with an important sustainability message ♻ @vestas11thhourracing. They knocked out a respectable 2nd at the practice race today. Pro-Am tomorrow, In-Port Friday and Sunday departure into the deep south

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.36.43 PM.png

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

vestas11thhourracing#Repost@_samgreenfield_
・・・
I'll miss wisdom and the gang from @turnthetideonplastic but am stoked to be sailing leg 3 on another boat with an important sustainability message ♻ @vestas11thhourracing. They knocked out a respectable 2nd at the practice race today. Pro-Am tomorrow, In-Port Friday and Sunday departure into the deep south

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.36.43 PM.png

Figures. Foreshadowing Melbourne? The two boats that kept quietest play sleeper.

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Who won the practice race?

MV(BAD)ST apparently MAPF, VS11, (TBRU, AKZO, DFRT --order not clear) SHKS, TTOP. Good description of the race too at

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194724-vor-leg-3-cape-town-to-melbourne-and-the-great-land-down-under/&do=findComment&comment=6017612

10 hours ago, stief said:

Sweet. So VO65's have a future as tow boats :) 

We launched Nick off a catamaran in pretty much that position a couple of years ago and got into a bit of trouble with the port captain........

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, knucklehead said:

We launched Nick off a catamaran in pretty much that position a couple of years ago and got into a bit of trouble with the port captain........

One advantage of South Africa, a lot more tolerant of this kind of thing, plus they did it far out in Table Bay, beyond where a "port captain" would care.

I just checked the map for the in-port race tomorrow, at this page - http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/ports/cape-town.html - and I sure hope they don't stick to that because the forecast has been consistent for days now that instead of the possible SE or NW wind directions that map and course are set for, there is going to be a SW flow, which would make the course a slalom reaching course.

Yup, Saturday is going to be epic here, but I presume they need that day for provisioning, etc.

Today is very warm with a gentle easterly here in Milnerton, but the bay is mostly flat calm. No boats out, at least so far today.

Well they eventually did come out to play around 13:00, and did a short twice-around slalom course near the harbor with full jibs up. Finishing order appeared to be ATSVDBM, but don't quote me on it as they are far away and the finish line was not obvious to me, order decided by when the dropped their jibs! Most of them then dropped mains as well, but Mapfre is charging around chasing a large flock of cormorants.

• Like 1

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/sport/rugbysevens-expected-to-bring-in-millions-to-cape-12298567Another economic booster was the recent Volvo Ocean Yacht race. According to

Another economic booster was the recent Volvo Ocean Yacht race. According to Regus, one of the sponsors, the event is a welcome economic boost to the city and country’s economy with the 2014 event having contributed over R540m.

Cape Town Tourism chief executive Enver Duminy said the Cape Town leg of the Volvo Ocean Race was expected to contribute about R500m and 35 000 bed nights to the city’s economy, however, the start city of the race, Alicante, Spain, estimates the economic value of each leg to be R960m.

“The contribution to the tourism economy relates to direct tourism spend, as well as indirect spend on entertainment, restaurant visits and transport, among other aspects. This event highlights the ongoing impact events can have for the city all year round.”

DF crew for leg 3:
Charles Caudrelier (FRA) skipper; Pascal Bidégorry (FRA) navigator, Stu Bannatyne (NZL) watch captain; Daryl Wislang (NZL) watch captain; Jack Bouttell (GBR/AUS) bowman; Kevin Escoffier (FRA) bowman; Marie Riou (FRA) trimmer; Carolijn Brouwer (NED) trimmer; Lue Liu/Black (CHN) pitman.

On shore, returning later: Jérémie Beyou (FRA) and Chen Jinhao/Horace (CHN)

Started running some comp's last night after tediously entering the Antarctic Ice Exclusion Zone (AIEZ) Wp's. Interestingly the AIEZ, cuts off  some of the really exciting stuff, with the obvious hazards admittedly. Manipulating the sailing Wp's yields a faster route bouncing off the AIEZ.

VORleg3.1.JPG

VORleg3.1sum.JPG

• Like 1

Dee Caffari‏Verified account @deecaffari

Great day sailing with our guests in the ProAm Races in Cape Town. The team delivered 1st and 2nd place results. This images says it all!

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 6.09.38 PM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chasm said:

DF crew for leg 3:
Charles Caudrelier (FRA) skipper; Pascal Bidégorry (FRA) navigator, Stu Bannatyne (NZL) watch captain; Daryl Wislang (NZL) watch captain; Jack Bouttell (GBR/AUS) bowman; Kevin Escoffier (FRA) bowman; Marie Riou (FRA) trimmer; Carolijn Brouwer (NED) trimmer; Lue Liu/Black (CHN) pitman.

On shore, returning later: Jérémie Beyou (FRA) and Chen Jinhao/Horace (CHN)

• Like 1