southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

1 minute ago, stief said:

Are you able to see this and change the all/info/ etc tabs like I can?

Yes.  Hit another tab at the top and it disappears.

4 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

Wonder why they got rid of the gate? wasn't out of the way and presumably would be a good place to shorten the course if required. At least it means they will be racing all the way up the bay so we can get a good look at them. 

Haven't heard, though they usually don't explain anywhere in the places I browse.

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes.  Hit another tab at the top and it disappears.

Interesting. And a search bar  that seems to work somewhat 5a29d46e7f1da_ScreenShot2017-12-07at5_52_18PM.thumb.png.48312f434f0b536290dff081c0d496fe.png

VOLVO OCEAN RACE 2017-18

In Port Race - Cape Town 8.12.17

Crew Lists

Dongfeng Race Team

Skipper

Charles

Caudrelier

FRA

Navigator

Pascal

Bidégorry

FRA

Watch Captain

Stuart

Bannatyne

NZL

Watch Captain

Kevin

Escoffier

FRA

Watch Captain

Daryl

Wislang

CHN

Crew

Marie

Riou

FRA

Crew

Carolijn

Brouwer

NED

Crew

Jackson

Bouttell

AUS

Crew

Xue (Black)

Liu

CHN

OBR

Martin

Keruzore

FRA

team AkzoNobel

Skipper

Simeon

Tienpont

NED

Navigator

Jules

Salter

GBR

Watch Captain

Chris

Nicholson

AUS

Crew

Alex

Pella

ESP

Crew

Brad

Farrand

NZL

Crew

Nicolai

Sehested

DNK

Crew

Emily

Nagel

BER

Crew

Martine

Grael

BRA

Crew

Justin

Ferris

NZL

OBR

James

Blake

NZL/GBR

Team Brunel

Skipper

Bouwe

Bekking

NED

Bowman

Carlo

Huisman

NED

Helm-trimmer

Alberto

Bolzan

ITA

Helm-trimmer

Kyle

Langford

AUS

Navigator

Andrew

Cape

AUS

Helm-trimmer

Louis

Balcaen

BEL

Helm-trimmer

Peter

Burling

NZL

Helm-trimmer

Annie

Lush

GBR

Helm-trimmer

Abby

Ehler

GBR

OBR

Ugo

Fonolla

ESP

Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag

Skipper

David

Witt

AUS

Navigator

Antonio

Fontes

POR

Watch Captain

Luke

Parkinson

AUS

Crew

Alex

Gough

AUS

Crew

Annemieka

Bes

NED

Crew

Benjamin

Piggott

AUS

Crew

John

Fisher

GBR

Crew

Tom

Clout

AUS

OBR

Konrad

Frost

GBR

Turn the Tide on Plastic

Skipper

Dee

Caffari

GBR

Navigator

Nico

Lunven

FRA

Watch Captain

Martin

Strömberg

SWE

Watch Captain

Liz

Wardley

AUS

Crew

Elodie

Mettraux

SUI

Crew

Francesca

Clapcich

ITA

Crew

Bianca

Cook

NZL

Crew

Lucas

Chapman

AUS

Crew

Bleddyn

Mon

GBR

Crew

Frederico

Melo

POR

OBR

Jeremie

Lecaudey

FRA

Vestas 11th Hour Racing

Skipper

Charlie

Enright

USA

Navigator

Simon

Fisher

GBR

Crew

Mark

Towill

USA

Crew

Roberto 'Chuny'

Bermúdez de Castro Muñoz

ESP

Crew

Nick

Dana

USA

Crew

Tom

Johnson

AUS

Crew

Tony

Mutter

NZL

Crew

Stacey

Jackson

AUS

Crew

Jena

Hansen

DEN

OBR

Sam

Greenfield

USA

MAPFRE

Skipper

Xabi

Fernández

ESP

Navigator

Juan

Vila

ESP

Watch Captain

Pablo

Arrarte

ESP

Watch Captain

Rob

Greenhalgh

GBR

Crew

Louis

Sinclair

NZL

Crew

Blair

Tuke

NZL

Crew

Willy

Altadill

ESP

Crew

Sophie

Ciszek

AUS/USA

Crew

Tamara

Echegoyen

ESP

OBR

Jen

Edney

USA

Is it time to make your picks?

Double Points.  All teams are out for blood.  But Dong Feng more than others I believe.

I'm going with:

1. Dong Feng
  2. Mapfre
  3. Vestas
  4. Brunel
  5. Akzo
  6. Scally
  7. TToP

Although I'd really like to see Brunel take it just keep the scoring interesting.

• Like 1

Podium looks right, but I'm thinking  the race will be decided amongst the experienced teams in the tricky parts out of CT and through the currents and onto catching the best low. So, head overrules heart, and thus says VS11 nav prep will trump Vila or Cape. Pascal is . . . unpredictable? :) and the experienced teams have had 3 years to figure out if DFRT has a speed edge.

So I'd think

1. VS11
  2. MAPF
  3. DFRT
  4. TBRUN
  5. AKZO
  6. TToP
  7. SHKS

Yeah,  Bouwe or TTOP would be great, and no great surprise to see them on the podium. Weight should help TTOP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stief said:

Pascal is . . . unpredictable?

This is true.  But 3rd?  I think Pascal will be especially focussed on this one.  It's a biggy.

I go with "my gut".

Edit:  Weight will definitely help TToP but not sure they have the Southern Ocean talent (besides Dee and Liz) 

• Like 1

Shanghai? What say you? Think Charles will be holding a bit more back rather than risk the mast and concentrate more on a Hong Kong win?

We know what your heart says :) 

1 minute ago, Hitchhiker said:

DF, three watch captains, four crew!? Is that like offering a position promotion instead of a pay raise?

Just seems odd.

Got a favorite in the race?

Logical thinking based on talent pool, Map has the odds, followed by DF and then Brunel, maybe Vestas with a nod

Sentimental favourite for me is Brunel.  Capey is as wily and smart a Nav as one could wish for and Bouwe has several metric crap loads of experience, backed up with a solid team.  

Looking for Plastic to put it to team Witless!

Akzo is a wild card.

Alright, so:

Brunel, Map, DF.

Vestas, Akzo.

Plastic, Witless.

• Like 1

No idea who's going to win or come last, but I hope to see some arrive from the water and will make a sudocrem t-shit for my daughter to wear when we visit the race village.

• Like 2

The day has dawned here in Cape Town, and as predicted there is only a light westerly flow off the ocean. Quite pleasantly cool after the sweltering heat yesterday. Forecast is for 10-15 SW for early afternoon. It likely will swing to the SE by the end of the day, but probably too late for the in-port race starting at 14:00. There is a chance of a messy situation where both breezes are active wrapping around Table Mountain, which can make for some very strange racing if the course is set directly north of the mountain. I've only sailed in a few races here, but almost went from last to first in one where I got ahold of the SEaster before everyone else and sailed around all but two in the fleet. 

• Like 1

Interesting Guidance from the IJ about infringing Exclusion Zones (ice). 1 point penalty guaranteed in either case, whether the boat rethreads the path or not.  So if a boat feels she hasn't gained an "advantage" she can throw herself on the mercy of the IJ and not go back (say, when having to back means go upwind in heavy air sea). Nice option for  the trailing boat.

1. Exclusion Zones on Ocean Legs
    If a boat sails into an exclusion zone, but then returns to the position where she first entered the zone, and thereafter sails a course that complies with the Leg Sailing Instructions, the penalty will be one (1) point deducted from her Race score.

When these facts are agreed by the boat and Race Control, the Jury may hold the hearing and apply the penalty during the Leg.

Whereas if a boat sails into an exclusion zone and does not then return to the position where she first entered the zone, the penalty will apply to her Leg score and will be more than one point if she gained advantage as a result.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

This is true.  But 3rd?  I think Pascal will be especially focussed on this one.  It's a biggy.

I go with "my gut".

Edit:  Weight will definitely help TToP but not sure they have the Southern Ocean talent (besides Dee and Liz) 

and Martin Stromberg..

Forecast for the leg 3 start on Sunday is excellent in the bay, especially for liters trying to get out there, but Sunday night as the bash South will be boat breaking conditions with at lest 30 knots on the nose and probably a lot more.

35 minutes ago, stief said:

Interesting Guidance from the IJ about infringing Exclusion Zones (ice). 1 point penalty guaranteed in either case, whether the boat rethreads the path or not.  So if a boat feels she hasn't gained an "advantage" she can throw herself on the mercy of the IJ and not go back (say, when having to back means go upwind in heavy air sea). Nice option for  the trailing boat.

Very Formula 1.  Maybe they should just give track position back for breaching the AIEZ.

4 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Forecast for the leg 3 start on Sunday is excellent in the bay, especially for liters trying to get out there, but Sunday night as the bash South will be boat breaking conditions with at lest 30 knots on the nose and probably a lot more.

We'll have live tracker for the first 24 hrs, so that will be good to watch. Not sure when the forss' windy layers will be active on https://gis.ee/vor/

Windy layers work on his https://tracker.ee (which also has links on the bottom of the page to last year's S-H , the VG, the current VOR and more if anyone hadn't noticed)

If the OBR lineup for the In Port matches Leg 3 (which was the pattern last time) I'm jazzed about getting to see the work of both Sam and Jen in the same leg. Also, despite someone predicting he'd surely be shitcanned for the Video That Dare Not Speak Its Name, Konrad remains the OBR on Scallywag. Guess VOR knows what sort of work drives page (after page, after page) of SA wank. If the Stephen Hayles Breakfast Show ain't broke... :P:P:P

• Like 2

Wind is still straight west, but maybe showing signs of shifting to SW, around 15 knots, with lots of whitecaps, so good conditions for them today. But no activity in the bay so far at 12:00, not even the bouys getting set up. 

1 hour ago, jbc said:

If the Stephen Hayles Breakfast Show ain't broke...

JB very lazy of me to repost but I have heard through the grapevine that both the RO and Witty are keen to keep the Breakfast Show format alive and well in the SO, but going incognito now in case Dawn is watching.

IMG_20171208_151019.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Wind is still straight west, but maybe showing signs of shifting to SW, around 15 knots, with lots of whitecaps, so good conditions for them today. But no activity in the bay so far at 12:00, not even the bouys getting set up. 

That's good news, if Doug is the Race Officer, as usual, he'll know where to put the course for the best race.

Man, it's hot in the city today, that Westerly coming in off the sea must be a relief. 

Would be nice if the French Navy out of Reunion decided to go on a quick sorti south at the right time like they did in the last VG and put their vid of this lot into the public domain.

Well, they all came out around 12:30 and the course is indeed properly set, with the bottom gate directly off the lighthouse at Milnerton in front of my flat, and the top gate far up in the bay to windward. The big blue MAERSK LINE ship that featured in the video of Kevin Langaree kiting with TTOP is still anchored to the north of the course, so will limit their options on that side. Should be a lot of fun to watch, except that it will be hard for me to tell who is in the lead till they round the marks, as they will either be leaving or approaching me. Hope you all enjoy it online, I will watch it in person, then later online.

VOR's introduction to the in-port today is off base, applying only if the SEaster was blowing "Racing off Cape Town is notoriously challenging with strong, gusty, shifting winds and tricky currents commonplace".

Today the wind is steady from the WSW, with almost no swell and little chop, and certainly no current that I am aware of. Everyone has full mains up and cruising around. If I had a foil board I could work my way up to them, but I'm staying nice and dry and watching from my tenth floor flat near the lighthouse. Should be fun!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

but I'm staying nice and dry and watching from my tenth floor flat near the lighthouse. Should be fun!

Are you the one standing on the verandah with the tall blonde??

In-port hardly worth getting up for, methinks. The 7 best sailing teams in the world according to the VOR, well, didn't see that today. Wouldn't trust them on my bicycle! Back to bed now.

BTW, noticed that Justin Ferris replaced van Niekerk on the Paintwagon.

Jack, you are usually well informed on Paint, do you know why Niekerk is off, and do you know Ferris ?

Team AkzoNobel has announced that the Spanish offshore sailor Alex Pella and triple Volvo Ocean race veteran Justin Ferris will board the third stage of the Volvo Ocean race 2017-18. They replace the sailors Like Molloy  and Peter van Niekerk 

Well, that was not nearly as much fun as it would have been if held tomorrow in a howling SEaster. Oh well, at least the fog bank with a northerly did not quite get to them before the finish. It was glassy between the finish and the shore.

That main commentator was irksome though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Team AkzoNobel has announced that the Spanish offshore sailor Alex Pella and triple Volvo Ocean race veteran Justin Ferris will board the third stage of the Volvo Ocean race 2017-18. They replace the sailors Like Molloy  and Peter van Niekerk 

It says 4 for Ferris on the VOR crew profiles :

Previous Volvo Ocean Races:
2011-12 Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing
2008-09 PUMA OCEAN RACING
2005-06 Pirates of the Caribbean
1997-98 EF Language

And for Alex Pella a Route du Rhum win in a Class 40, and a Jules Verne on IDEC, and a 2nd and 3rd in the Mini-Transat, all quite formidable !

And it's Luke Molloy, I see it spelled wrong on the Akzo site too...

Replay will take a while as usual.
Dongfeng Race Team, MAPFRE, team AkzoNobel, Vestas 11th Hour Racing, Turn the Tide on Plastic, Team Brunel, Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag

• Like 1

I think some teams are choosing based on leg availability not so much availability for all legs so to maximise talent. The Paintwagon maybe a different kettle of fish with such a weird start in the personal department so changes were enevitable. They have some serious go quick talent on there now for this leg, particularly Pella. They are definitely one to watch.

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Will Peter van Niekerk be on board team Akzo Nobel  during leg 3?
This is his third VOR campaign. 
He was onboard Alinghi when they won the cup twice as bowman.
Can't really understand why he was not aboard at the in-port race Cape town.
Perhaps he's ill or something like that. He's 46 years old. 
Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_van_Niekerk
5a2ab47e98d9a_petervanniekerk.thumb.PNG.99d7fdc0c6cff586feba56d50b666116.PNG

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

see post 206 above. Might be a good idea to reread the thread too.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

see post 206 above. Might be a good idea to reread the thread too.

Post 206 is the crewlist for the in-port race.
My post was about the crew onboard the leg that starts on sunday 10 December 2017, 12:00 UTC .

• Downvote 1

1. 6.1  No later than 48 hours before the intended start time of a Pro-Am Race, In-Port Race

or Leg each Participant shall supply the Organising Authority (OA) with:

1. (a)  The list of names and positions of the Crew Members, the Onboard Reporter (OBR) and the Guests who are to sail in that Pro-Am, In-Port, Race or Leg shall be entered or changed on the crew and guest lists for the applicable race Crew & Guest Lists 2017-18.

15 minutes ago, stief said:
  1. 6.1  No later than 48 hours before the intended start time of a Pro-Am Race, In-Port Race

or Leg each Participant shall supply the Organising Authority (OA) with:

1. (a)  The list of names and positions of the Crew Members, the Onboard Reporter (OBR) and the Guests who are to sail in that Pro-Am, In-Port, Race or Leg shall be entered or changed on the crew and guest lists for the applicable race Crew & Guest Lists 2017-18.

Peter van Niekerk was not onboard the inport race in Lissabon but participated in leg 2 Lissabon to Cape Town.
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/11/02/volvo-ocean-race-crew-revealed-port-race/
Guess the only thing to do is to wait and see what happens.
1 day 19 hours and 39  hours before the beginning of the race is obtained.
So the crewlist are already in possession of the Organising Authority.

39 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

This is his third VOR campaign. 
He was onboard Alinghi when they won the cup twice as bowman.
Can't really understand why he was not aboard at the in-port race Cape town.
Perhaps he's ill or something like that. He's 46 years old. 
Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_van_Niekerk
5a2ab47e98d9a_petervanniekerk.thumb.PNG.99d7fdc0c6cff586feba56d50b666116.PNG

Will you ever learn to read posts before asking stupid questions??

I’m beginning to wonder if you’re challenging Randum for the village idiot award. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Watching the Inport.  All the boats seem to be about where they should be at this stage of the race.  No surprises.  Except Brunel?!!!

What is going on with Brunel?  Splitting the course at the top mark taking the right side of the course with Scallywag?  And the boat speed second time uphill?

Hate to be the armchair but wow.  Any explanations?

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Watching the Inport.  All the boats seem to be about where they should be at this stage of the race.  No surprises.  Except Brunel?!!!

What is going on with Brunel?  Splitting the course at the top mark taking the right side of the course with Scallywag?  And the boat speed second time uphill?

Hate to be the armchair but wow.  Any explanations?

Toe not healed? I dunno. Was strange to watch. Not just TBRU. TTOP had such aa good start . . then wtf! MAPF's 'penalty'. VS11 furl. SHKS  . . . .     Seemed like most everyone except DFRT was flustered.

17 minutes ago, stief said:

Toe not healed? I dunno. Was strange to watch. Not just TBRU. TTOP had such aa good start . . then wtf! MAPF's 'penalty'. VS11 furl. SHKS  . . . .     Seemed like most everyone except DFRT was flustered.

Will wait to see what happens in the 3rd Leg re: Brunel.  But almost stalling out at the top mark and then waiting too long to drop the A3 at the bottom?  

Great move by DF at the top of the second forcing Vestas to duck and split the course.

Took them all a bit to follow DF's lead to stay on the left side of the course. 

• Like 1

^^^^I was thinking just that stifler as I turn the covers down. My brain fart as I retire for the evening is Charlie and Teapot looking pretty hot in the driving department in a driver's leg and may surprise. I can smell the sea air here. Pleasant change from that cabin down the hallway that randumb has stunk up. 

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^I was thinking just that stifler as I turn the covers down. My brain fart as I retire for the evening is Charlie and Teapot looking pretty hot in that department and may surprise. I can smell the sea air here. Pleasant change from that cabin down the hallway that randumb has stunk up. 

You going to play the ultimate guessing game too? You deserve a break after that binge.

I have booked DFRT for the win of leg 3. Stu is such a badass driver in these circumstances. He will keep it cool and steer them to the win.

I'll cheer for Team Brunel but I'm still not convinced that they have the required consistency in their boatspeed and sailing this edition.

Seeing them in the in port race didn't help me much... 

It would break open the race massively if Brunel, Akzo or TTOP will get the double points. Bring it on!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

I have booked DFRT for the win of leg 3. Stu is such a badass driver in these circumstances. He will keep it cool and steer them to the win.

I'll cheer for Team Brunel but I'm still not convinced that they have the required consistency in their boatspeed and sailing this edition.

It would break open the race massively if Brunel, Akzo or TTOP will get the double points. Bring it on!

I agree. If Pascal can refrain from having an existential crisis mid course I think they'll take it.  

Aw, c'mon Elisa . .  not even a slight nod to those poor, under-appreciated Spanish guys? Hope you don't hope they come DFL! ;) 

17 minutes ago, stief said:

Aw, c'mon Elisa . .  not even a slight nod to those poor, under-appreciated Spanish guys? Hope you don't hope they come DFL! ;) 

Because it is Friday and I'm in a good mood and I shall give them a nod or two.

Personally I don't think there is anything poor about the Spaniards. They are my favourite team for the overall title. Consistency is their middle name, but they won't get this leg me thinks. Xabi will want to safe the boat more than Charles, and Charles is slightly more greedy and inpatient and will push harder for the win of this double whammy leg;....and they have Stu. 

Just my two penny armchair guessing :)

• Like 2

Helicopter compilation. For some reason, brought out the thrill of seeing 7 matched big boats sailing, Guess I was recalling the misery of handicap racing.

Scallywag/Facebook

Todays In-Port race in Cape Town SHK Scallywag had a fantastic start and a good first beat but was unfortunate to have some gear issues which have now been rectified. Looking forward to getting into the Southern Ocean on Sunday!

http://desafiomapfre.com/en/segundos-la-costera-2/

IN THEIR WORDS…

Xabi Fernández, Skipper

We had a little problem at the start. It was an incident with Vestas, where we pushed a little too tight to get to the layline, tacked too late and Vestas were forced to move away. We were given a penalty turn, and ended up starting in last place.

The first upwind leg went really well, and we were able to stay close to the pack, even though we were last. We then sailed a great downwind leg, and that was where we joined the fight. We had a good battle with AkzoNobel, and finally due to Vestas’ problem with the spinnaker, were also able to pass them.

Joan Vila, navigator

Good boat handling was key, and having sailed a simple race, we kept making up positions, sailing at our own speed. Together we were able to move up from the back of the fleet to finish in second place.

Pablo Arrarte, watch captain

Starts are always really tight, and today was especially so at the mark end, which was particularly favoured. We thought all the boats would be fighting to start from there, and so perhaps our tack was just a little too tight with Vestas. I think the penalty turn was a fair call. We should have tacked three or four seconds earlier, but as the boat was not moving very fast, it turned much more slowly and provoked the penalty.

We knew it was going to be a long race, with six legs, and with wind conditions like today, a lot of mistakes can be made. We knew that everyone would make some mistakes, so we decided to take it steadily, and just keep improving. Even though we are not used to these kind of races with these boats, they are also important, and it is the boat handling which makes the difference.

In Cape Town, when the wind starts to blow, it is very intense and shifty, making boat handling much more difficult. It also means you have to react very quickly because the wind suddenly changes direction, so any mistakes with boat handling can be really costly. We are handling the boat well, and with Rob and Vila’s decisions, which were almost all spot on, it went really well for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

I’m going to have to go DFRT, and maybe hedge my bets with Mapfre as alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

We knew that everyone would make some mistakes, so we decided to take it steadily, and just keep improving.

Maybe the Mapfre strategy.  Be consistent.  Don't make mistakes.  Wait for the other boat to make a mistake and pounce.

I am gonna book Vestas for the win.
It's mostly by heart.
I think the overall winner is among the current top three, and while I do think that DF has the edge, anything can happen on a leg like this.
That being said, I of course hope that all boats gets through without severe failures :)