southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

18 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Really great leg!  So much excitement up front, crosses in the middle of the southern ocean, and now a tight race (again) between Scally and TTOP.  What more could you ask for? 

Back to a design competition as well would be my ask. But that's another story...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The Donga has crossed the line and is dropping the sails.

Let the drying out and repairs begin. Bravo Xabi, et al!

16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The Donga has crossed the line and is dropping the sails.

Nice job, DF and team. Hope that ram damage can be repaired, asap.

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What the $TE&^%&^ is Charles saying?

Lol--wasn't able to hear much off the boats during the lives today--kept breaking up on the IOS app. Planning to play catchup with YT versions later.

20 minutes ago, stief said:

Lol--wasn't able to hear much off the boats during the lives today--kept breaking up on the IOS app. Planning to play catchup with YT versions later.

Facebook was maybe a little better, because you can set your own speed, like Youtube.  Still couldn't hear it all.  When Niall asked Charles how he was feeling there was a long pause...

Is there gone be another Live muppet show for the next finishers?  Non-communication VOR experts!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 8.40.14 PM.png

Get it done already, damn it!

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Facebook was maybe a little better, because you can set your own speed, like Youtube.  Still couldn't hear it all.  When Niall asked Charles how he was feeling there was a long pause...

Is there gone be another Live muppet show for the next finishers?  Non-communication VOR experts!

Thanks for the tip. Re later Lives, Niall did say earlier that they'd be on until the last boat finishes, even on Christmas Day. 

Such a great race, well done Mapfre, DF and the rest. A good Christmas for all and stay healthy.

5 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

When Niall asked Charles how he was feeling there was a long pause...

There was an even longer pause at my end, I hit the pause button said something like "yeah after crossing the southern ocean and now sleep deprived, not winning and having a broken leaky boat why don't you tell us all how you are feeling! fucking idiot commentator!"  only I said it out loud as I walked away to get breakfast, to get a strange glare from the wife.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, random said:

There was an even longer pause at my end, I hit the pause button said something like "yeah after crossing the southern ocean and now sleep deprived, not winning and having a broken leaky boat why don't you tell us all how you are feeling! fucking idiot commentator!"  only I said it out loud as I walked away to get breakfast, to get a strange glare from the wife.

Charles did not hide his disapointment, anything less than first position isn't going to be enough against a class act team as Mapfre. But Charles was also looking forward to a leg victory coming "home" in China, so I hope that means he thinks they'll be able to do good repairs to their broken keel ram. Fingers crossed.

Did anyone notice the scuffle between Pascal and Liu, after Liu held him in his arms? Strange and awkward moment...

Anyway, Well done DF to keep the boat afloat until the finish line and hold on to 2nd place!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, random said:

Yes Merry Xmas to all you nutbags and fuckwits here!

Oh yes and Sparrow?  Please try to keep up, none of those countries 'discovered' Australia.

These people did.

abor-1.jpg

I guess whether I'm a nutbag or fuckwit depends on how many drinks I've had... but I'm pretty JS got there by the end of his history lesson - "65,000 years behind the friggen eight ball to this party”

I think what was most demoralizing for Charles was the realization of Mapfre's strength. I hope Charles was congratulatory to Mapfre.  I didn't hear that.   

Enough of the heartbreaking 2nd place.  They're acting like the race is a done deal.  Many Legs and double points Legs to come.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

amazing leg -- that move by Mapfre, pedal to the metal when opportunity knocked, exhausting all the available energy of the crew when against the ice wall, was just masterful.

And having the absolute confidence in the crew to pull it off without a bad manoeuvre, one gybe like AkzoNobel and it could have ended very badly.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

I guess whether I'm a nutbag or fuckwit depends on how many drinks I've had... but I'm pretty JS got there by the end of his history lesson - "65,000 years behind the friggen eight ball to this party”

That's Good, I didn't get that far, after I realised it was Jack's next attempt to get on the Front Page!

Funny Facefuck question/comment when Vestas was live:

Justin Brown: "Am I the only one who heard someone whisper "Who the f@&! Are you telling me what to do?" When he was asking for Charlue??""

Probably when Charlie refused to get interviewed, or it is a hypothetical question...

Well done Mapfre! 

Merry Christmas to you all, ho, ho, ho! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Great shot of Dong Live.

All I get is blank screen saying Live!

Merry Christmas all.  Great thread contributions by the way.

• Like 1

Well done to VS11. They are the other sleepers in this edition. No drama, just heads down and 'get 'er done'.  TBRUN's hunting partner.

• Like 1

Bice: "Unheard of broken cylinder"  . . . "we've got the guys so they go out 100%" Think that what I heard, so that sounds reassuring.

Bice:  "Spoke to the crews who said it was freezing, dripping wet. Some of the best sailing they've ever done.  They'll never forget it."

• Like 2

Yo Melbourne. Where are the spectator boats?  Wait.  What's that?  A little skiff?

Southern you have raised an interesting point. Thought should be given by the RO to having leg finishes at Xmas in a Non-Christian country north of the equator where  <0.000000000001% of the population own a sailboat. I will put my thinking cap on.

• Like 1

Kyle Langford. Capey should be on the other wheel too :) . With the 24 hr record (538.1) they've proven they know how to make the boat go.Well done, year after year after year. 

Just now, stief said:

With the 24 hr record (538.1) they've proven they know how to make the boat go.Well done, year after year after year. 

Record only for this Leg.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yo Melbourne. Where are the spectator boats?  Wait.  What's that?  A little skiff?

Yeah it's Xmas but it's also a reflection of the Sad state of sailing in this part of the world - absolutely no mainstream media coverage for this epic - apathy at club level where sailing consists of a very few overpriced skiff like "keelboats" that nobody would take out of sight of land (or swimming distance) and plenty of well appointed french /euro cruisers, most of which rarely leave the dock except perhaps for a no-spinnakers round the fixed marks "race". So few have any ocean sailing aspirations..fewer still actually go out to sea anymore...ocean racing is on life support...such is sailing life on Port Phillip Bay.

Just now, southerncross said:

Record only for this Leg.

True, and better than any other team was able to do this leg. 

1 minute ago, Couta said:

Sad state of sailing in this part of the world - absolutely no mainstream media coverage for this epic - apathy at club level where sailing consists of a very few overpriced skiff like "keelboats" that nobody would take out of sight of land (or swimming distance) and plenty of well appointed french /euro cruisers, most of which rarely leave the dock except perhaps for a no-spinnakers round the fixed marks "race". So few have any ocean sailing aspirations..fewer still actually go out to sea anymore...ocean racing is on life support...such is sailing life on Port Phillip Bay.

Interesting.  And the first time in years since they've been there.  

I can't speak for Melbourne but there was always an Xmas day sail on Sydney Harbour.  Quite a lot of boats out especially this time of year with the S2H.  I suspect (could be wrong) that Sydney would have had a good turn out.  

24 minutes ago, stief said:

Capey should be on the other wheel too :) 

On deck and on his tablet.  Like Sophie Melbourne was where Capey was born. A very principaled guy.

The Camel jockey leg finish post above made me think of when Capey on Telefonica walked out of an award ceremony and others openly critised giving of a VOR Seamsnship Award because it was  undeserving. 

It was given to some crew on Sanya after rig damage. This was necessary due to decision making of skipper Mike Sanderson and navigator Aksel Magdahl that drove the boat straight into a tropical storm off Madagascar. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The fact that a Spanish expedition but led by a Portuguese Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan made the first known crossing of the Pacific Ocean in 1521 adds further weight to Australia being discovered from the east by the Portuguese, not from the west by the Dutch around 100 years later.     

You almost got that right, Magallanes never made it to Australia, it was Juan Sebastian de Elcano who took over the expedition and finished the first circumnavigation. He and his crew were most likely the first Europeans in Australia, but at this point of their trip they just didn't give fuck amd kept going. Just like they discovered New Amsterdam a century before the Dutch and didn't even care to name the damned rock...

And BTW, us Galicians consider Portugal our brother country (Vigo is 20 minutes away from Portugal), so....

• Like 1

Tentatively I'd put Vestas ahead of DF on the overall ranking - running on assumptions that VOR isn't going to brush the leg rules under the rug. 

2 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

There wasn't much fan fare, I was out on the water for Mapfre arrival, pretty cool watching them up close on my home waters.

5a4041e1262f5_Screenshot-2017-12-25Photo-GooglePhotos.png.57fe8e3d20043111dedcefa9607372ed.png

Good on ya, Ocko.  Any impressions?

20 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

You almost got that right, Magallanes never made it to Australia, it was Juan Sebastian de Elcano who took over the expedition and finished the first circumnavigation. He and his crew were most likely the first Europeans in Australia, but at this point of their trip they just didn't give fuck amd kept going. Just like they discovered New Amsterdam a century before the Dutch and didn't even care to name the damned rock...

And BTW, us Galicians consider Portugal our brother country (Vigo is 20 minutes away from Portugal), so....

Chus never said Magellan made it to Australia. Just their voyage timing supported the timing of the making of that Portuguese map and discovery of Australia from the East not the west by the Dutch. 

Juan Sebastian de Elcano took over in the Philippines after Magellan died. He went on to complete the circumvavigation as you say. However there was no record they went anywhere near Australia.

There are two sites in Australia that folklore suggest may contain remnants of a Spanish ship. After much looking no evidence has been found.

Merry Xmas mate.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chus never said they made it to Australia. Just their voyage timing supported the timing of the making of that Portuguese map and discovery of Australia from the East not the west by the Dutch. 

Juan Sebastian de Elcano took over in the Philippines after Magellan died. He went on to complete the circumvavigation as you say. However there was no record they went anywhere near Australia doing that, let alone circumnavigating it as you suggest.

Merry Xmas mate.

I meant circumnavigating the world..., And you are right about them visiting Australia, no pics, so it didn't happen:D;)

And of course, Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Tentatively I'd put Vestas ahead of DF on the overall ranking - running on assumptions that VOR isn't going to brush the leg rules under the rug. 

No idea what damage Vestas has either however. Bouwe said they could be ready to go in 10 minutes, so that definitely keeps the pressure on the rest to get their repairs sorted.

I agree with your comments regarding the keel box/leak situation, still there are a lot of unknowns, I.e that's a lot of mineral oil to be pouring from the cylinder some time after the crack developed. There is also enough water in the boat to indicate further damage to the keelbox, likely not visible from at sea footage publicly available. The big question is can suitable repairs be made while on the mooring? Will VOR send them off into cyclone territory with a questionable repair to the most critical part of the boat?

19 minutes ago, samc99us said:

No idea what damage Vestas has either however. Bouwe said they could be ready to go in 10 minutes, so that definitely keeps the pressure on the rest to get their repairs sorted.

I agree with your comments regarding the keel box/leak situation, still there are a lot of unknowns, I.e that's a lot of mineral oil to be pouring from the cylinder some time after the crack developed. There is also enough water in the boat to indicate further damage to the keelbox, likely not visible from at sea footage publicly available. The big question is can suitable repairs be made while on the mooring? Will VOR send them off into cyclone territory with a questionable repair to the most critical part of the boat?

What damage to the keelbox?

Not sure what footage everyone was looking at, but I didn't see any pressurized engress of water - which is what's typical of actual breach to the sea. The keel longitudinal bearing joints are really precisely fitted, but like all seals with moving parts, it isn't completely watertight. The keelbox cover itself is airtight sealed and it is combination of it being above water line and sealed air that keeps it from filling completely with water. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, random said:

Yes Merry Xmas to all you nutbags and fuckwits here!

Oh yes and Sparrow?  Please try to keep up, none of those countries 'discovered' Australia.

These people did.

abor-1.jpg

3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

3 hours ago, random said:

That's Good, I didn't get that far, after I realised it was Jack's next attempt to get on the Front Page!

Randumb you really are an illiterate wanker with no redeaming qualities.

In the spirit of Xmas here is something for you to make your sailing safe...no matter the incline.

images (20).jpeg

images (13).jpeg

Hey!  Where'd everyone go?

Leg 3, Cape Town to Melbourne, day 16, on board Turn the Tide on Plastic.

Photo by Jeremie Lecaudey/Volvo Ocean Race. 25 December, 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 1.23.09 AM.png

• Like 3

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 1.26.44 AM.png

[Chronicle of an epic victory] cold, water streams, humidity, lack of sleep... But, without a doubt, it was worth it @vamosMAPFRE 

• Like 2

COMING THROUGH! Think navigating the #SouthernOcean is tough? Try getting into @VORMelbourne!

The fleet had to keep full focus to squeeze under the Bolte Bridge at the end of #Leg3!

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 1.30.18 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Interesting.  And the first time in years since they've been there.  

I can't speak for Melbourne but there was always an Xmas day sail on Sydney Harbour.  Quite a lot of boats out especially this time of year with the S2H.  I suspect (could be wrong) that Sydney would have had a good turn out.  

Last time they hit town we got some of the old crew together and played on the boats while the race crew recovered - we did test sails and corporate days with ABN Ambro boats - and Shorty......listening to the stories of the crews as they stepped off for a well earned break confirmed it's a young guns event....but blasting around the bay gave us some idea of what these boats could do. The previous stopover was organised by one of our mates and ran like clockwork with massive PR (against the competition of background noise of F1 Grand prix race and Australian Open tennis events) -  this time around there's absolutely nothing re PR and nobody in this town knows the event is here.....complete waste of an event. I hate to say it but...I'm sure Sydney would have responded much better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Couta said:

Last time they hit town we got some of the old crew together and played on the boats while the race crew recovered - we did test sails and corporate days with ABN Ambro boats - and Shorty......listening to the stories of the crews as they stepped off for a well earned break confirmed it's a young guns event....but blasting around the bay gave us some idea of what these boats could do. The previous stopover was organised by one of our mates and ran like clockwork with massive PR (against the competition of background noise of F1 Grand prix race and Australian Open tennis events) -  this time around there's absolutely nothing re PR and nobody in this town knows the event is here.....complete waste of an event. I hate to say it but...I'm sure Sydney would have responded much better.

That sounds like an amazing experience.

I think there would have been a better turn out if they arrived at the Vatican.

And meanwhile back at sea... Ttop still trying to chase down Scally, and making some progress. Only 20 miles back now, a gain of 10 miles in just 2 hours, as Scally jibed back and forth in no wind.

3 hours ago, stief said:

Well done to VS11. They are the other sleepers in this edition. No drama, just heads down and 'get 'er done'.  TBRUN's hunting partner.

Well said Stief, Vestas for me is true surprise this edition. They indeed seem to be able to maintain a relaxed spirit in board almost like they’re cruising along in the Caribbean instead of the brutal Southern Ocean. Good on them. 

• Like 1

I took this photo from Albert Part beach with a 300 mm zoom lens.

Pity the boats come in on Xmas day, but not a lot of spectator boats, I just hope Melbourne comes out to support these boat when they leave!

There appears to be no main stream media publicity around this great race compared to the last time this race was in town.

They should have finished the race off station pier to provide a better public accessible location for the finish line. The finish line is too far away from the public.

Brunel-Cropped-finishing-2nd-crop.jpg

Brunel-Cropped-River-up-compressed.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, southerncross said:

Looked like some exhaust on the transom.  Supping from firing up the engine for the bilge pumps.

I didn't realize overall time was included n the scoring.

Shortest total elapsed time is worth 1 point

54 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Shortest total elapsed time is worth 1 point

Longest total elapsed time is worth -1 point, I believe, Shacklesailor...

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

There appears to be no main stream media publicity around this great race compared to the last time this race was in town.

Thanks for the effort Chucky!

Any pics of the boats being worked on, and perhaps of the huge crowd in the race village, if there is one?

I guess we'll get to see how much fun it is beating into the narrow channel in an easterly.  Scally and Dee will have the pleasure it seems.

19 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks for the effort Chucky!

Any pics of the boats being worked on, and perhaps of the huge crowd in the race village, if there is one?

Went for a walk down there an hour ago, managed to get on the dock, only shore crew around very little going on. One security guy did his best to chase us off, whilst letting us look around at the same time. Brunel shore crew very friendly!!

Volvo.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Couta said:

Will the boats be on public display? I  Will be in Melbourne for New Years, and would love to take a look. 

42 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Will the boats be on public display? I  Will be in Melbourne for New Years, and would love to take a look. 

We walked onto the dock that the boats were moored too. The crew said to us that "normally" at other ports you can't get near the boats. The security guard did move us along, and I got the impression if there were bigger crowds there would be no one allowed on the individual jetties, but you can still get pretty close. I think it all opens on 27th

• Like 1

One more pick close up of some of the crew. Pete Burling looks very relaxed sitting by the main sheet winch.

I'd love to get more pics at Docklands but will be racing in the Melbourne to Hobart race known as the Westcoaster two handed, weather looks good with plenty of running and reaching conditions!

Brunel-Cropped-River-close-up-compressed.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flags said:

Went for a walk down there an hour ago, managed to get on the dock, only shore crew around very little going on. One security guy did his best to chase us off, whilst letting us look around at the same time. Brunel shore crew very friendly!!

Thanks Flaggy, well done to get close, and a nice depth perspective that you created!

Yes, the Brunel shore crew are a friendly lot, I heard that from friends in Lisbon too, nice people those cloggies...

And you and all the others from Melbourne, please hit the bars too, and find out the latest gossip on the wheeling and dealing of the stopover repairs and the penalties, please. VOR will not tell us anything, and certainly not the truth, and cover things up. We need some snoopy SA dogs there.

29 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks Flaggy, well done to get close, and a nice depth perspective that you created!

Yes, the Brunel shore crew are a friendly lot, I heard that from friends in Lisbon too, nice people those cloggies...

And you and all the others from Melbourne, please hit the bars too, and find out the latest gossip on the wheeling and dealing of the stopover repairs and the penalties, please. VOR will not tell us anything, and certainly not the truth, and cover things up. We need some snoopy SA dogs there.

Do you actually believe that VOR bother to hide anything,  just perhaps they don't go to the effort to communicate the more esoteric points because it is really only the few people on this forum that care? What have they tried to cover up so far? I can't think of anything.

Happy Christmas everyone. Just about to jump on a plane to Melbourne, with a bit of luck I may just make it in time to catch the TTTOP dock lines.

• Like 2

The Girls have a chance to get Witty.12.7nm and gaining.

21 minutes ago, random said:

The Girls have a chance to get Witty.12.7nm and gaining.

yeah the 5 other boys on the boat will just be sitting back watching the work..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Potter said:

Do you actually believe that VOR bother to hide anything,  just perhaps they don't go to the effort to communicate the more esoteric points because it is really only the few people on this forum that care? What have they tried to cover up so far? I can't think of anything.

Happy Christmas everyone. Just about to jump on a plane to Melbourne, with a bit of luck I may just make it in time to catch the TTTOP dock lines.

Ha, ha. Maybe they've done a really good job then. ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ASP said:

yeah the 5 other boys on the boat will just be sitting back watching the work..

Just razzing Witty.  He thinks it's the Girlz.

It seems unlikely that TTT catches Scallywag, miles behind and ~3 knots less vmg at this time.
The VOR tracker crystal ball has another 48 hours in store for Akzo. That must be fun, not.

8 hours ago, southerncross said:

Happy.

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 1.37.32 AM.png

Who's the extra person? I count 7 men and 3 women, not a legal crew combination? 

Thank God we have the day off, it will be spent following the race between Scallywag and TtT. Couldnt have asked for better entertainment :D 

OBR on the far right, Mapfre had Jen Edney for the leg.

Note the absence of MAPFRE branding on her. All VOR and maybe some Inmarsat.

Which brings me to another pet peeve. The crew gear is chock full of names and flags. On the few occasions where the OBR is visible on Heli shots the gear had ....drumroll.... OBR on the back...
(Now that they work for VOR why not just give them their own gear color. Perhaps next round.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Well, for starters the Smorgasbords covered themselves up pretty good, but not only that, they covered up Scallywag and Witt in Cape Town, and that was a deliberate act, disrespecting completely not only a few here, but their loyal fan base all over the world.

Sorry, but I have completely lost my respect for the VOR management, until they show some balls and communication skills. Don't get me wrong, but most of the VOR stuff is great, even amazing sometimes, and they deserve our utmost respect and appreciation, but the management for now gets plenty penalty points!

Potter, have a good flight, take care of that nice TTTOP bunch, and if you hear anything of how VOR are solving the stopover dilemma, please let us know, much appreciated!

9 minutes ago, Chasm said:

OBR on the far right, Mapfre had Jen Edney for the leg.

Aha! Of course. Forgot about the OBR. Thanks :)

11 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Well, for starters the Smorgasbords covered themselves up pretty good, but not only that, they covered up Scallywag and Witt in Cape Town, and that was a deliberate act, disrespecting completely not only a few here, but their loyal fan base all over the world.

How do you mean they covered them up? I agree that they could have been publishing more info about protests etc, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as covering up? 

A "rules and protests" section on the site would of course have been nice. But all race organisers suck at this. Usually only people directly involved know anything. The actual protest should have been delivered in written form and published, and then the ruling shortly after it's done. 

Wishful thinking, I know. 

2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

How do you mean they covered them up? I agree that they could have been publishing more info about protests etc, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as covering up? 

A "rules and protests" section on the site would of course have been nice. But all race organisers suck at this. Usually only people directly involved know anything. The actual protest should have been delivered in written form and published, and then the ruling shortly after it's done. 

Wishful thinking, I know. 

They shamelessly "covered up" all Scally's raw stuff after the act, even took some stuff down, "covered up" the arrival and any interviews. As far as the protest goes they published the facts, and fair enough, that usually all you expect them to do, as you say.

Bet they will be very factual about the awkward and potential un-seamanlike situation at this stop-over, and the resulting penalty points, methinks.