• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

12 minutes ago, hoppy said:

http://www.bom.gov.au/ntc/IDO59002/IDO59002_2017_VIC_TS001.pdf

We went through at 12 or 13 knots, but we went through on a flood tide.

Thanks hoppy, that makes it easy.

Been reading this: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/tides/about/p4a-port-phillip.shtml  , and then I must have mixed things up. Never mind for now, but for the next boats this could be a factor.

• Like 1

1110 pm Just watched Mapfre go past Point Lonsdale,  3 ebb tide didnt seem to slow her down at all guestimate 3-4 knots of outgoing flow. Wind was 16 knots gust to 20 knots  from the south via the dial at the lighthouse.Other that can only tell you their nav lights work lol  Dark night down here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rushman said:

Lots of water IMHO... The blue hose heading to the cockpit suggests they have the big bilge pumps engaged 

The head on my ram is external to the keel box. Around the extruding part of the  head is a large rubber gaiter as the first layer, with another separate inner waterproof membrane underneath that.

At high speed I reckon even a small leak would let a lot of water inside the boat.  

3 hours ago, Rushman said:

That seems easy enough but where did the water come from?

Will the other identical boats suffer the same problem in the future?

Great Scott!!
That's exactly what I thought!

If it was any other night, I'd probably be spending the evening on my boat watching the AIS and perhaps motoring out of the marina. Jan 2nd I have to be on the water for the start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

You are just saying that Jack because

e the likes of you and me are just as lazy :-)

Ironically it was I who started Keel Fingate (using same VOR website), but which at the time I could not recall where it came from. So having tipped you into it, I probably owe you one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

the likes of you and me are just as lazy :-)

Could be, most of us are well to "loo"-ward of the action, which is why we are here. (notice I said "most")

• Like 1

Interesting finish as the Mapsters get their final workout short gybing up the harbour in the dark....

6 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Interesting finish as the Mapsters get their final workout short gybing up the harbour in the dark....

6 knots blowing... ouch!!! It's going to be a long night.

Maybe I should take that back... Windyty.... shows a lot different.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.40.41 AM.png

9 hours ago

Update from onboard MAPFRE:

100 nm from the Heads and 100 nm distance to Dongfeng! we do breathe now and start thinking we have this if nothing goes wrong!

What a feeling we have on board! After a titanic battle with them and after 10 days of proper Southern Ocean leg we are getting to Melbourne in 1st place in a such an important leg.

We are tired and looking forward to getting there but we have to say we have enjoyed every day in this leg. We know we won’t win all the legs and we know how strong the opposition is - that is why we are so happy. 

Christmas eve, Christmas day on shore and we have won a few days of recovery before the next leg starting in a week. This time is gold and I hope we can make the most of them.

Of course we have to start thinking in the next leg already, check the boat and then check the boat again and again. After a leg like this I don’t think you can check the boat enough!

A part of that, try to eat well and heathy, plenty of sleep and a bit of exercise will be our routine so I hope we can be strong again on the second of January.

Not too much more to report, everyone happy, specially Sophie, arriving to her home with all the friends and family waiting for her in the bay.

Best regards from MAPFRE.

Xabi

• Like 1

Mapfre around the last mark. DF should be far enough ahead to secure second. Vestas vs. Brunel looks also done unless there is drama in the bay.
Will TTT reel Scallywag in? A bit much to ask at first glance.

• Like 1

Looks like Mapfre will dock before the sun comes up, but the next 3 should get daylight finishes, so hopefully a few boats out to welcome them and some good video...

Don't expect to see any change in their current order, though.

• Like 2

Side note: I love how this place goes from whining and increasingly unhinged personal attacks to hyper-focused collaborative analysis as soon as there’s something interesting to analyze. :P

(Also, ¡vamos MAPFRE!)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Ha ha - just the way it cut and pasted from the VOR website - Happy Christmas by the way Mad

SS

Cheers SS, and to you as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jbc said:

Side note: I love how this place goes from whining and increasingly unhinged personal attacks to hyper-focused collaborative analysis as soon as there’s something interesting to analyze. :P

(Also, ¡vamos MAPFRE!)

cuckoos-nest-1_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

• Like 7

Another heartbreaker for Dong by the hands of Mapfre, and thus one counts double. That's gotta be tough. Mapfre is Dong's Grinch. 

Thanks for the read and in case I don't get the chance to check back before tomorrow...

Cheers!

• Like 1

Leg 3, Cape Town to Melbourne, day 15, Juan Vila and Blair Tuke on board MAPFRE.

Photo by Jen Edney/Volvo Ocean Race. 24 December, 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 3.29.21 PM.png

HOMEPORT BATTLE ENGULFS VOR MELBOURNE FINISH

While crews are battling to the finish line of Leg 3 of the Volvo Ocean Race in Melbourne, Australia and with Mapfree the leader and Spanish entry just minutes ago closing in on finish in Port Phillip Bay, a battle of biblical proportion threatens to engulf this momentous sporting occasion.

Australia while having many competitors, doesn’t have a team entered in this 2017/18 edition of the VOR. The Organisers behind this Australian Pitstop (not Stopover) enroute via Leg 4 to Hong Kong and starting on 2 January, are very keen to introduce a homecoming flavour to competitor arrivals. The reason being the Australians are a partisan bunch and immediately look for a home town favourite. It was therefore decided that the criteria should be a direct connection between a Team and the discovery of this very country and capturing the essence of the sport, through obviously seafaring means.

Now the organisers were very satisfied with this approach because firstly that would discount any Kiwi connection. However unfortunately they then thought it would be English, unfortunately on the premise it was Captain Cook who in 1770 charted the east coast, and like many Australian school children of the time, the knuckleheads were lead to believe he discovered Australia, Australia was later colonised in 1788 as a penal colony for English citizens it no longer had any need for. There was some initial hope with Melbourne being the largest population of Greeks outside Athens, that a Greek might have discovered the place, but unfortunately no team or sailors from Greece were entered. The concept of a Grecian having discovered Australia also seemed one bridge too far even those so historically challenged   

So they were shocked to learn two teams being Brunel and AkzoNobel from the Netherlands were laying claim to hometown glory in Melbourne. Obviously skippers Brouwe Beking and Simeon Tienpont have been using this to keep team spirits up and looking forward to a homecoming fitting for the occasion.

For those not well versed in Australian history a Dutchman, Dirk Hartog, is recorded as the first Europeans to discover Australia, landing on the west coast north of Perth in 1606. Ships from the East India Company then kept bumping into this place enroute from Europe to the Spice Islands of Indonesia and some, like the ship Batavia doing a Vestas in the last VOR edition, or to be chronological correct, Vestas doing a Batavia.

Now immediately wise heads thought this was bit rich of Beking and Tienpont having already enjoyed that honour in Cape Town to be getting a second bite of the cherry, So people went to work to find a fitting and true alternative. The French were quickly discounted to give Dong Feng the title, albeit a hotdog of a team involving a Chinese bun with a French sausage. The Frenchman La Perouse didn’t land until 1788, ironically days after settlement and well after Cook. Him not being a solo sailor, so not have recognised at home even if he did didn’t help. Talk of the Chinese landing in northern Australia in the early 1400's predating the Dutch by 200 years, but as no evidence has been found of that, Dong Feng was not a starter.

The Spanish entry of Mapfree and other teams with Spanish VOR sailors was also quickly discounted. There is no recorded history of Spanish discovery, largely because while there is gold aplenty in Australia, there was no evidence of a willing civilisation that would dig it up for them while they had a snooze after lunch. Vestas the American Team and crewed largely by Americans had no interest in the title. It seems they are still getting over the fact that the Norwegians or Vikings beat Christopher Columbus to the punch by around 400 years and where the Trump administration refuse to outlay the money to reprint their history books.  

Then the Eureka or lightbulb moment occurred. Below is an early Portuguese 500 year old chart made in 1522, but not released until 1542. The time difference is on account explorers in those days kept their maps closer to them than their jugular vein. This map which predates the Dutch discovery by nearly 100 years shows a large sixth continent in the same position as present-day Australia, called 'Java-la-Grande' 

It clearly shows the Cooktown area in NE Australia and shows the Barrier Reef off the coast. That heavy detail indicates they spent some time here, as opposed to the balance of the map being essentially made up. It is thought a lesser known Portuguese sailor called Cristovao de Mendonca made this map sometime before 1522 and so was frolicking on the Barrier Reef nearly 500 years before Chines tourists. The fact that a Spanish expedition but led by a Portuguese Navigator, Ferdinand Magellan made the first known crossing of the Pacific Ocean in 1521 adds further weight to Australia being discovered from the east by the Portuguese, not from the west by the Dutch around 100 years later.     

Which now brings us to who is taking the homecoming title. Well it seems two boats are left in the running, the HK entry Scallywag skippered by Australian David Witt has the Portuguese sailor António Fontes on board and Turn the Tide on Plastic headed up by Englishwomen Dee Caffari, has Frederico Pinheiro de Melowho.

However there is a clear distinction to split the two. Turn the Tide of Plastic is funded by the Portuguese Mirpuri Foundation whose charter is to build upon Portugal’s rich maritime history. So it looks as though we have a winner in the homecoming stakes.

Well not so quick. News to hand is that David Witt will be providing another media frenzy just as he did when arriving Cape Town when met with the Videogate scandal, that thank goodness ended in exoneration by the International Jury. It seems David has come out saying that the Witt family have aboriginal blood running through their veins, so “Dee and the Portuguese can bugger off” he is quoted as saying by unnamed sources, “Your around 65,000 years behind the friggen eight ball to this party”.     

Bring on the finish and bring on the welcome home party for all teams and maybe Australia, subject to DNA testing results, raise a special glass for Team Scallywag if you feel like having to take ownership of one.

The Sparrow

1411437642568_wps_14_Ex_Cairns_to_the_Sunday_M.jpg

• Like 6

Still laughing.

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Still laughing at that entertaining read--trusted, and will probably verify sometime. Was just thinking of posting an imagined  finish commentary with Niall and the MarineTraffic slalom, but see the live might be live soon.

Merry Christmas all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Still laughing.

Still laughing at that entertaining read--trusted, and will probably verify sometime. Was just thinking of posting an imagined  finish commentary with Niall and the MarineTraffic slalom, but see the live might be live soon.

Merry Christmas all. 

I thought the Egyptians discovered Australia.

• Like 1

Damn! No mention of MAPF's hint of a keel issue a few days ago, and sound broke up just when I was hoping hear how many gybes they'd done. :lol:

Just now, stief said:

Damn! No mention of MAPF's hint of a keel issue a few days ago, and sound broke up just when I was hoping hear how many gybes they'd done. :lol:

Later.  Hoping Nick B will give a run down of all the issues later on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stief said:

This looks interesting

1 hour ago, stief said:

Looks like a slalom course around the anchored shipping :)

Ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Inport finishes = cruel and unusual punishment for both participants and spectators.

What an insult to the racers and any spectator with synapses running ... a 3 week rip across the southern ocean and they can't put the finish outside a freighter ridden port,, and of course typically fickle wind.  <_<

...fackaduck if any positions change for such lunacy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stief said:

Still laughing.

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Still laughing at that entertaining read--trusted, and will probably verify sometime.

I may be a pathaligical liar stiffler, but I don't make shit up. Some credit goes your way, your Mapfree homecoming linky sewed the seeds for that historical journey of discovery.  Merry Xmas.

• Like 3

Nice one jack.

Agreed water was entering through the broken cylinder attachment at an alarming rate.

I'm very curious what the damage to Mapfre's keel system is.

Xabi said last Monday  "The boat is in very good condition, we have had some problems with the hydraulic system of the keel that for now we are solving but otherwise everything is in order." from here  .  No idea if bad gtrans, just regular maintenance, something more, but clearly nothing like DFRT's issue. As SC said, for later.

Meanwhile...

Leg 3, Cape Town to Melbourne, day 15, on board AkzoNobel.

Brad Farrand watching the Southern lights on Christmas Eve. Not a bad way to see Christmas in.

Photo by James Blake/Volvo Ocean Race. 24 December, 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 4.58.51 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

Ridiculous.

What an insult to the racers and any spectator with synapses running ... a 3 week rip across the southern ocean and they can't put the finish outside a freighter ridden port,, and of course typically fickle wind.  <_<

...fackaduck if any positions change for such lunacy!

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Inport finishes = cruel and unusual punishment for both participants and spectators.

I disagree Couch and southern to the extent a place like Port Phillip Bay is fine with regard to both tide and wind. I do agree however that long upriver finishes that are tidal sucks. If there is no breeze the finish should be moved. If it happened to be blowing 40 bastards this morning then everyone would then be saying the finish should be inside the protection of the bay.

If there is one aspect of the leg 3 course that fell down it was selecting such a pussy northerly position of the ice fence. It just forced everyone into a que with no ability to split, that was clearly evident before and after it.

That said one team came better prepared or adapted quicker to the fence impediment and that's one major reason why they won.

I heard the failure is on the cylinder side of the attachment.  Boat side is fine though collateral damage must have occurred too.  This will hopefully make repairs easier at this abbreviated stopover.

1 hour ago, samc99us said:

Nice one jack.

Agreed water was entering through the broken cylinder attachment at an alarming rate.

I'm very curious what the damage to Mapfre's keel system is.

The ram cylinder isn't connected to sea. The hydraulic fluid isn't dyed and what you're seeing could just be mineral oil.

If there's significant amount of water entering the box, it wouldn't be entering via the cylinder, but via the longitudinal bearing/around the keel strut. 

In re pumps. I don't think anyone would open the keel box without pumps ready. In theory the box is above the waterline, but would you trust that with unknown damage and heel?

This interview was just 2 months before Xabi chose Sophie to go on Mapfree..it isn't all roses in this game..the peninsular on the starboard side inside the bay they go past is where she was.born....you would need a jackhammer to get the smile off that girls face now.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/05/01/sophie-outside-looking/

Big effort Mapfree

• Like 1

The live is once more live. MAPFRE finally arriving at the dock. ~1825UTC after a 1607UTC finish.

Late enough, time to look at the rest of the live as replay.

• Like 1

Yes Merry Xmas to all you nutbags and fuckwits here!

Oh yes and Sparrow?  Please try to keep up, none of those countries 'discovered' Australia.

These people did.

abor-1.jpg

• Like 3

Well done MAPFRE - really deserved victory, again! 

Upset that DFRT couldn't hold on, and now it appears they have significant damage to boot.  Hopefully this doesn't impact them too badly in the next leg.  But for now, GO DFRT!!!

• Like 2

Looked like some exhaust on the transom.  Supping from firing up the engine for the bilge pumps.

I didn't realize overall time was included n the scoring.

epic leg, props to these pro level sailors who show how it's done.

the podium is justified and 'fair', it reflects the overall positions of the top three throughout the leg. the Dongs and Akso (and anyone else) need to be given a fair chance to carry out basic repairs, or else the credibility of the entire go around will be tainted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3to1 said:

epic leg, props to these pro level sailors who show how it's done.

the podium is justified and 'fair', it reflects the overall positions of the top three throughout the leg. the Dongs and Akso (and anyone else) better be given a fair chance to carry out basic repairs, or else the credibility of the entire go around will be tainted.

Really great leg!  So much excitement up front, crosses in the middle of the southern ocean, and now a tight race (again) between Scally and TTOP.  What more could you ask for? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I didn't realize overall time was included n the scoring.

Just 1 bonus point for best overall time though.

Looks like the penalty points for the stange stopover rules are going to be of much bigger influence. Something not right there...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Really great leg!  So much excitement up front, crosses in the middle of the southern ocean, and now a tight race (again) between Scally and TTOP.  What more could you ask for? 

Back to a design competition as well would be my ask. But that's another story...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The Donga has crossed the line and is dropping the sails.

Nice job, DF and team. Hope that ram damage can be repaired, asap.

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What the $TE&^%&^ is Charles saying?

Lol--wasn't able to hear much off the boats during the lives today--kept breaking up on the IOS app. Planning to play catchup with YT versions later.

20 minutes ago, stief said:

Lol--wasn't able to hear much off the boats during the lives today--kept breaking up on the IOS app. Planning to play catchup with YT versions later.

Facebook was maybe a little better, because you can set your own speed, like Youtube.  Still couldn't hear it all.  When Niall asked Charles how he was feeling there was a long pause...

Is there gone be another Live muppet show for the next finishers?  Non-communication VOR experts!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 8.40.14 PM.png

Get it done already, damn it!