southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

While the #teamAkzoNobel sailors got some well-earned rest after Leg 3,

at high tide tonight in Melbourne the shore team with staff from the @volvooceanrace Boatyard and technicians from @SouthernSpars removed our boat's mast and began assessing what repair work needs to be done

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 5.25.56 PM.png

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Coccyx

HTFU

You’re such a tough guy Clean, I’m amazed you weren’t snapped up as Volvo crew years ago. <_<

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Even professional ocean race sailors have to go through passport control #ThursdayThoughts

Remember when the Italian boat got detained by Angolans, went incommunicado and ppl feared for the worst? This was before satellite communications/trackers.

Hopefully the US Dept of State and the professional sadists at USCIS/ICE don't suddenly find issue with Argentine and Chinese nationals on DF & Brunel when teams visit Newport.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mad said:

You’re such a tough guy Clean, I’m amazed you weren’t snapped up as Volvo crew years ago. <_<

Ha.   Broke my coccyx on the trimaran last year though just 30 minutes into a 100 mile race.  Wish I could have had a replacement!

Whith all these repairs going on, I wonder, why VOR hasn't made the Melbourne "pit-stop" a "special repair stop". Rather than restrict work on the boats, throw all technical and maintenace resources at this stop. I mean, after this SO leg it was clear that extensive repairs would be required...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Ha.   Broke my coccyx on the trimaran last year though just 30 minutes into a 100 mile race.  Wish I could have had a replacement!

You only had a 100 miles to deal with it, not 1000’s. 

HTFU! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Whith all these repairs going on, I wonder, why VOR hasn't made the Melbourne "pit-stop" a "special repair stop". Rather than restrict work on the boats, throw all technical and maintenace resources at this stop. I mean, after this SO leg it was clear that extensive repairs would be required...

Depends on the team. MAPFRE's rudder was stored on the boat, and leg rules permit divers. Brunel, TToP, Vestas boat also seems to be in better shape. 

Whomever put this pit stop together really thought it would be doable without significant work - after all, wasn't the original intention a single leg from Cape Town to Guangzhou? Wonder how the reception will be in Hong Kong and Guangzhou - would anyone comment on the dirty oil at send a junior crew over the side before the start to sponge the hull. :lol:

Good stuff Southern.

Still no news on how all this factors with the r---s but good to see the boats getting sorted. (Comms not great from RO/ Alicante).

Before we know it they'll be on their way.

Mark Chisnell makes solid sense in his review. Not his brief but he makes little reference to the kick in the teeth Dongfeng experienced which without evidence I'm convinced must have impacted a tadge. It was a knockout blow.

Anyways looking forward to seeing them (plus the others) come back stronger and not let MAPFRE run away with it.

Time to move to Leg four thread?.....

13 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Believe it was down to Melbourne being a late addition as a stopover, but it does seem very strange that they made the rules so arduous for all. 

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

None of the food vendors sold any water and this was the ONLY "water" available at $4.00 for 250ml.  

San%20Pellegrino%20Glass%20Screw%20Cap%2

Excellent branding though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Excellent branding though. 

It is turning the tide on plastic - not sure about transportation cost associated with packaging that's more expensive than the liquid tho :lol:

18 hours ago, hoppy said:

Damn, you beat me posting a photo from my visit.

One of my crew is a volunteer at the village and says it's pretty quiet. Little surprise when the local media don't get behind an international event like this.

I'm pissed off with the TTTOP sponsors. The food vans have been told they could not sell anything in plastic, so we could not buy bottled water to cool down my 11mth old daughter. In the end we had to buy an overpriced bottle of mineral water because it was in glass. 

reduce and reuse. complete no-brainer.

2 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...^^...fixed.    :mellow:

nah, I stumbled upon a picture of that boat tied up at the dock and my first and only impression was that it was beautiful. 

12 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I am flying into Melbourne today and want to get a peek of the boats, even if a brief one and from long distance.  Did you need tickets to get into the “village”.  If so, what are they going for and where can they be purchased?

Village is free, can even catch a free tram down there (the brown city circle trams are free).

• Like 1

Wait.  What? Pascal had an injury?  Or ...

The skipper of the recent French America’s Cup campaign – Groupama Team France - and a former Volvo Ocean Race winner as skipper of Groupama 4 in the 2011-12 edition - Cammas is standing in at the last minute as replacement for Bidegorry who sustained a rib injury on Leg 3.

Cammas, aged 45 from Lorient in Brittany, will sail as navigator on board Dongfeng alongside skipper Charles Caudrelier, one of his closest friends in professional sailing and a former crew member on Groupama in the 2011-12 campaign.

Caudrelier is looking forward to welcoming to the team the former Jules Verne record-holder, Solitaire du Figaro champion and three-time winner of the Transat Jacques Vabre who is renowned for his hard-driving perfectionism and skill at getting the best out of a boat.

“Franck is joining the crew because of Pascal’s injury, which is not good news for us because Pascal has been a key element of the team since the beginning,” said Caudrelier. “Franck was available and he was ready as a back-up – we had already spoken about his wish to participate if he could help.

“Of course Franck is a guy I have sailed with over the last 20 years – we are really like brothers – we have always been successful together and sailing with him has always been a pleasure for me and I completely trust him.

“It is not easy to replace your navigator with someone you haven’t sailed with,” added Caudrelier. “Franck for me is the guy I have sailed with the most; it means we have so much experience together like I have with Pascal. So he was the first choice for sure and he was available and really motivated to come.” 

Cammas scrambled at 12 hours notice to get to Melbourne from his home in France and will arrive tomorrow afternoon local time as Dongfeng Race Team prepares for the start of Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong on Tuesday.

“I am very motivated to do a leg of the Volvo Ocean Race and it is obviously with Dongfeng that I feel most at ease, culturally and in terms of the people on board,” he said. “Replacing Pascal is a big challenge for me. With Charles, he has shared a lot and, as on the previous edition of this race, he and Charles have drawn some beautiful courses and made some wise choices. This necessarily puts a little pressure on me.

“Being a crew member, instead of a skipper, is not the most natural situation for me but the team’s performance comes first and we are in line with Charles on that,” Cammas added. “Charles is a friend, we have our story together which allows us to communicate well with each other.”

Bruno Dubois, the Dongfeng Race Team director, emphasised that Cammas was always an option. “Charles and myself have been working with Franck for a while and it was always the plan that he would be a back-up if we needed him,” he said.

“Franck fits well with the team,” he added. “He is also a guy that has already done the race, he is ready to go, he is Charles’ best mate and he will put himself in the right position to support the team. He is a great navigator, a great helmsman and a great sailor and he knows what has to be done.”

Neil Maclean-Martin the Dongfeng Race Team human performance manager, said Bidegorry’s injury will take time to heal. “Pascal sustained an injury to the joint between one of his ribs and the sternum when a wave hit the cockpit and he fell against the supporting bar of the wheel,” he said.

“As with all rib injuries, this is painful and restricting. Frustratingly there are only a few things we can do for treatment to support the natural healing process.”

Bidegorry sustained the injury eight days before the finish of the heavy weather leg from Cape Town and it was immediately obvious to him that he could not sail again until it is healed. “Franck is a good choice for Charles,” he said. “They have known each other for years and they have great experience together in the Volvo Ocean Race. After an exhausting Leg 3, I have no doubt that the energy of Franck will be a real benefit to the team.”

The full Dongfeng Race Team crew for Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong is as follows:

Charles Caudrelier (FRA) – skipper

Franck Cammas (FRA) – navigator

Daryl Wislang (NZL) – watch captain

Jeremie Beyou (FRA) – watch captain

Carolijn Brouwer (NL) – trimmer

Justine Mettraux (SUI) – trimmer

Kevin Escoffier (FRA) – bowman

Chen Jinhao ‘Horace’ (CHN) – bowman

Jack Bouttell (AUS/GBR) - bowman

Great move. Also I expect every substitute to suddenly have an injury as crews coming off the leg were supposed to remain thru the next leg unless there's a medical reason. 

Everyone knows Franck Cammas of course.  Very strong addition to the crew.  One that may put them on equal footing with Mapfre (not to take anything away from Pascal)

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Great move. Also I expect every substitute to suddenly have an injury as crews coming off the leg were supposed to remain thru the next leg unless there's a medical reason. 

Hmmm.

28 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Everyone knows Franck Cammas of course.  Very strong addition to the crew.  One that may put them on equal footing with Mapfre (not to take anything away from Pascal)

Great team builder too. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the focus of OBR in the next leg. He's also mellowed a lot after his leg injury. Much outwardly happy. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Where is your basis for that statement?

17 minutes ago, Miffy said:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m46329_nor-2017-18-amendment-9-20171207.pdf

Page 13. DF already fucked up with Justine's announcement calling it a planned rotation. 

I didn't write the rules. Don't shoot me. 

Sorry.  Missing the part about crew changes for this Leg?  Not on 13.

Just now, Miffy said:

Start from 13. Section 17.3 and read thru the stopover designations. 

Oy vey. Making me work for it.

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

It is barely a page long. 

Yes, but I'm nursing a beer and not feeling really up to it after an 8 mile hike with the kids.  Did I mention half of it was uphill?

This?  

1. (b)  Crew Members who will sail on Leg 4 (Melbourne to Hong Kong) and up to a maximum of two shore crew nominated by e-mail to Race Control before December 12th may work on the Boat.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Of this already posted my apologies. Been a bit busy with the S2H

Yep.  All four have been posted.

Know anything about last minute crew changes in Melbourne?

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Yes, but I'm nursing a beer and not feeling really up to it after an 8 mile hike with the kids.  Did I mention half of it was uphill?

This?  

1. (b)  Crew Members who will sail on Leg 4 (Melbourne to Hong Kong) and up to a maximum of two shore crew nominated by e-mail to Race Control before December 12th may work on the Boat.

Yah - you have to lock yourself in 2 days AFTER the fleet leaves Capetown. If undeclared substitutions are allowed, they have to be medical like Pascal or Lush. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Yah - you have to lock yourself in 2 days AFTER the fleet leaves Capetown. 

I guess I thought that only related to work on the boat.  I was looking for specific wording that treated pit stops differently to a Leg stopover.

Oh well.  I like Camas.  Should make the racing that much more interesting.  It will test the Dream Team even more.

Edited by southerncross

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

I guess I thought that only related to work on the boat.  

But you have to declare your crew. 

Would it not be absurd if you declared your crew but sailed with different ones? I hereby nominate regular boatyard team staff - all 9 of them will sail. Then oops all substitute for regular crew. 

But you have to declare your crew. 

Would it not be absurd if you declared your crew but sailed with different ones? I hereby nominate regular boatyard team staff - all 9 of them will sail. Then oops all substitute for regular crew. 

Sure.  Makes sense.  Pit Stops or not Leg Stopovers regarding crew changes.  But the specific wording in the rules?  How does a team interpret this?

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Sure.  Makes sense.  Pit Stops or not Leg Stopovers regarding crew changes.  But the specific wording in the rules?  How does a team interpret this?

Ask the OA to clarify. It is pretty clear to me what the intent is. But I guess if one were Germanic lawyering you can do something nonsensical like saying I hereby declare this is my crew on Dec 12 but nothing specific says I'm limited to my Dec 12 crew list for the actual leg. 

Use 9+2 dockside members to prep boat. Then sail away leaving them all behind. 

Other changes on Dongfeng include the return of Kiwi watch captain Daryl Wislang, who has now recovered from a back injury which kept him out of Leg 3, plus Vendée Globe star Jeremie Beyou and Chinese sailor Horace (Chen Jin Hao), who were also rested for the 6,500nm race from Cape Town to Melbourne.

They replace Fabien Delahaye, Stu Bannatyne and Black (Liu Xue) for stage four of the 45,000 nautical mile race around the planet.

This including Camas and Mettraux.

4 changes total.  Some scheduled and some not.  

That's a lot of fresh meat.

@Miffy I see your point.  Originally, this was supposed to be a non stop Cape Town > Hong Kong.  The Melbourne Pit Stop was last minute.  In the spirit of the Leg it seems the crew were to remain intact as though it was only a short stop.  The challenge was to keep the boat and crew healthy through Melbourne to HK.  Swapping out half the team seems to run counter to this.

18 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

I am flying into Melbourne today and want to get a peek of the boats, even if a brief one and from long distance.  Did you need tickets to get into the “village”.  If so, what are they going for and where can they be purchased?

thanks!!

Like all mongrel dogs...."Free to a good home"

I think underneath it all sanity is prevailing.

The idea of a Cape Town to HK leg was insane from the get go. You can be pretty sure that the race office was desperately trying to work a stopover the moment HK became the next port. Melbourne was probably always the sensible one - but with no Oz team (Scallywag being the reason they are going to HK) getting buy in for a full stopover was always going to be hard. The mistake was letting lack of a stopover buy in from the host city get in the way of being able to have the needed maintenance performed. It almost seems like spite - Melbourne wouldn't come to the party with the dollars to get to everything that a full stopover brings, so the VOR dropped it to a pit-stop. Now they are having to face up to the fact that this was always unrealistic, and scramble to cover the inevitable damage that cannot be ignored. 

There are a huge pile of questions about the manner this gets done. Full haul-out, rig-out stopovers seems to be an exercise in getting the fleet back to as near OD spec as they can. This stopover clearly can't do that.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, southerncross said:

@Miffy I see your point.  Originally, this was supposed to be a non stop Cape Town > Hong Kong.  The Melbourne Pit Stop was last minute.  In the spirit of the Leg it seems the crew were to remain intact as though it was only a short stop.  The challenge was to keep the boat and crew healthy through Melbourne to HK.  Swapping out half the team seems to run counter to this.

I wouldn't go as far as to say DF is doing something wrong. But other than Pascal's medical substitute, I hope the others were on the crew list submitted. 

IOW, those not on the list stepped off the boat onto the dock and aren't allowed back on. And those on the list are actually the substitutions. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say DF is doing something wrong. But other than Pascal's medical substitute, I hope the others were on the crew list submitted. 

IOW, those not on the list stepped off the boat onto the dock and aren't allowed back on. And those on the list are actually the substitutions. 

Like Francis notes above, the last minute Pit Stop has raised a number of issues.  

Because there were so many restrictions placed on the teams at Melbourne, I was under the impression the same crew was to race through to HK unless, of course, an injury forbade it.  All the emphasis on resting and being injury free?   I wonder if any of the other teams will have replacements (as many) not caused by injury?

33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The requirement to nominate applies to the shore crew not the race crew.  You are torturing the English language with your interpretation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DtM said:

The requirement to nominate applies to the shore crew not the race crew.  You are torturing the English language with your interpretation.

You don't use the Oxford comma where you're from?

To get to your interpretation you would need to insert a comma Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard after "shore crew" in the second line.  As it is there is an "and" prior to the shore crew description so that the nomination applies only to them.

I play with words and punctuation for a living.

Huh. I thought it needed an Oxford after Hong Kong) to get yours. 

Alrighty then. I defer to your expertise at English - nothing to see here and disregard then. 

• Like 1

We can agree to disagree.  Either way,  all of the teams are replacing people.  No crew lists were published on or after 12 December 2017.

Take care.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DtM said:

all of the teams are replacing people

I totally missed this.  I wonder how they were going to pull this off if they hadn't stopped in Melbourne? 

21 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I totally missed this.  I wonder how they were going to pull this off if they hadn't stopped in Melbourne? 

:)

Generally people are much more reasonable over here..

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Ziplines 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

Other changes on Dongfeng include the return of Kiwi watch captain Daryl Wislang, who has now recovered from a back injury which kept him out of Leg 3, plus Vendée Globe star Jeremie Beyou and Chinese sailor Horace (Chen Jin Hao), who were also rested for the 6,500nm race from Cape Town to Melbourne.

They replace Fabien Delahaye, Stu Bannatyne and Black (Liu Xue) for stage four of the 45,000 nautical mile race around the planet.

This including Camas and Mettraux.

4 changes total.  Some scheduled and some not.  

That's a lot of fresh meat.

I suspect that it wasn't working well onboard. They weren't terribly smart in term of routing for a bunch of figaro sailors, may be there were tensions between some people hindering their performance.

Trouble is that now there are more stars on board, it will be hard for Charles to manage all these egos.

11 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think underneath it all sanity is prevailing.

The idea of a Cape Town to HK leg was insane from the get go. You can be pretty sure that the race office was desperately trying to work a stopover the moment HK became the next port. Melbourne was probably always the sensible one - but with no Oz team (Scallywag being the reason they are going to HK) getting buy in for a full stopover was always going to be hard. The mistake was letting lack of a stopover buy in from the host city get in the way of being able to have the needed maintenance performed. It almost seems like spite - Melbourne wouldn't come to the party with the dollars to get to everything that a full stopover brings, so the VOR dropped it to a pit-stop. Now they are having to face up to the fact that this was always unrealistic, and scramble to cover the inevitable damage that cannot be ignored. 

There are a huge pile of questions about the manner this gets done. Full haul-out, rig-out stopovers seems to be an exercise in getting the fleet back to as near OD spec as they can. This stopover clearly can't do that.  

100% right. That's what I meant when I wrote that Melbourne should have been a stop with extra resources for reparis etc. Forget about public entertainment - especially since there doesn't seem to be too much public to be entertained - and focus on the repairs and crew wear and tear during the short pit-stops.

I wonder if we’ll ever a comment from the new Volvo race management team?? 

The silence is reaching deafening proportions!! 

Have they issued one statement since Mark Turner left? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mad said:

Apparently not.  VOR Chinese owned now as well.

Geely already owned Volvo Cars and as such were 50% stakeholders in the VOR but an announcement of the purchase of 8.2% of Volvo AB, in effect makes them the majority stakeholder in the Volvo Ocean Race itself. Perhaps that fact may encourage more Chinese entries in future events. – Shanghai Sailor

15 minutes ago, mad said:

That has now gone beyond bizzare?

Maybe they have been sacked before even having a chance to poke their heads above the public parapet?

55 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe they have been sacked before even having a chance to poke their heads above the public parapet?

Being a Swedish organization, they will spend the first 3 months in Health & Safety classes, as well as training in how to speak, so that no one can ever become offended by anything they say.
They will be ready in a couple of months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mad said:

I have forgotten what the statements were about....what exactly are we missing from them?

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wouldn't be Geely's style. When Geely bought Volvo, folks were concerned they would bastardize Volvo like GM/Ford did to Saab/Volvo by badge engineering some domestic market shit box and throwing a badge on it. Geely fully appreciated the lack of trust and brand recognition it had and left Volvo alone but threw more resources behind it. Much healthier brand now than when Ford owned it. 

Unless Geely has changed, it isn't going to rock the boat until it knows what it is doing. And the Swedish team, while not a name brand in the Anglo word, did run probably the most successful non-skipper driven program in the last edition. Certainly the best merchandise, social media/documentary operation the last edition. SCA last edition and TTOP this edition certainly shows you don't have to be competitive or first to be marketable. 

2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I have forgotten what the statements were about....what exactly are we missing from them?

Any sign of life is what we are missing. 

Though I have to say, I’m not really surprised. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Wouldn't be Geely's style. When Geely bought Volvo, folks were concerned they would bastardize Volvo like GM/Ford did to Saab/Volvo by badge engineering some domestic market shit box and throwing a badge on it. 

Miff maybe they have just said fuck it... and now just following the IKEA business model?

images (44).jpeg

16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Wouldn't be Geely's style. When Geely bought Volvo, folks were concerned they would bastardize Volvo like GM/Ford did to Saab/Volvo by badge engineering some domestic market shit box and throwing a badge on it. Geely fully appreciated the lack of trust and brand recognition it had and left Volvo alone but threw more resources behind it. Much healthier brand now than when Ford owned it. 

Unless Geely has changed, it isn't going to rock the boat until it knows what it is doing. And the Swedish team, while not a name brand in the Anglo word, did run probably the most successful non-skipper driven program in the last edition. Certainly the best merchandise, social media/documentary operation the last edition. SCA last edition and TTOP this edition certainly shows you don't have to be competitive or first to be marketable. 

What the fuck has that got to do with the lack of visiblility from the not so newly appointed race directors? 

1 minute ago, mad said:

What the fuck has that got to do with the lack of visiblility from the not so newly appointed race directors? 

They're not promoting themselves. 

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I suspect that it wasn't working well onboard. They weren't terribly smart in term of routing for a bunch of figaro sailors, may be there were tensions between some people hindering their performance.

Trouble is that now there are more stars on board, it will be hard for Charles to manage all these egos.

More stars? The only two people new to the campaign are Cammas and Mettraux. I don't think Cammas and Charles are going to have any issues considering their history...Charles wouldn't have called him if there was going to be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

They're not promoting themselves. 

They’re not promoting or supporting the race either at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, DFL1010 said:

Came across this whilst brushing up on my French:

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/volvo-ocean-race/volvo-ocean-race-marie-riou-ces-vagues-enormes-qui-te-fauchent-5476377

You'll have to rely on a competent bi-linguist (or Google) for a decent translation I'm afraid. 

From what I could read she had a great time and learned a lot and she will now rest and be a tourist, going to Blue Mountains. I'm happy to say I've been there :)

18 hours ago, mad said:

They’re not promoting or supporting the race either at the moment. 

Remember since MT chucked in the towel VOR is now (I think?) run by a guy who's views on leadership are that a crewed racing yacht does not require a skipper. The "team" will take care of everything.

37 minutes ago, staysail said:

Remember since MT chucked in the towel VOR is now (I think?) run by a guy who's views on leadership are that a crewed racing yacht does not require a skipper. The "team" will take care of everything.

Of course, that well known ‘leaderless, leadership’ policy. :huh:

On 29/12/2017 at 12:53 PM, mad said:

Is there anything in the book that’s nice to say to Nigel Farage?? :ph34r:

(yes, I know, PA is the second door on the left) 

I'll check when I get back to Vigo...