southerncross

VOR Leg 3 Cape Town to Melbourne and the Great Land Down Under

2 hours ago, stief said:

VS11's Roberto 'Chuny' Bermúdez de Castro Muñoz ESP is a good driver

Aha, so Chuny was the driver. Not too impressive then... 

But I think, in the Southern Ocean, he will be a more "sensitive" driver then Stu, ref above +100

As I said earlier, "powerful people are not always the most "sensitive" drivers, if you know what I mean."

Apparently Jack and Terra don't know what I mean. 

Will try to explain, after dinner, if you don'y mind.

Hold your course, "it's all about fast, in the right direction", exactly, not strength...

47 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Thanks Stief, so they modified the course in a sensible way, giving them a beam reach to mark 1, upwind to mark2, broad reach back through the start line and off they go. AND, this will give us kiters a change to rendevous with them on the upwind leg. And the breeze should be perfect, 20-30 knots of SEaster.

Today is epic, and I'm sure they are glad neither the in-port nor the start are today. It has been blowing SE all night and is now blowing dogs off chains, pedestrians are hanging onto lamp poles, birds aren't even flying. Two suicidal kiters just launched tiny kites from in front of the lighthouse at Milnerton, in gusts that must be approaching 50 knots. The mountain is covered with a thick table cloth. The pros will be out later doing stuff like this:

I will be riding my 7m Naish Pivot kite and trying to survive not only the wind, but the 4M swells predicted for later this afternoon. Might even have the nerve to ride some of them.

Dragon, you're pretty fucking epic yourself, give us a bit of a show tomorrow at the start, please !

Much appreciated !

It is now officially nukin in Cape Town. Gusts over 45 recorded at the airport and Bloubergstrand, with much more than that on top of Table Mountain. You can check it here - 

http://windalert.com/map#-33.917,18.596,11,1

This is from a similar day 2012.

And 2015

And this past summer, turning bicycles into flags!

The NW winds in winter storms can be pretty strong too!

20 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

It is now officially nukin in Cape Town. Gusts over 45 recorded at the airport and Bloubergstrand, with much more than that on top of Table Mountain.

Really, you're surfing on top of Table Mountain?

You're an epic monkey dragon! 

Thanks for posting all that stuff !  Gone look at it now.

7 hours ago, stief said:

Good one. (Still wanting to follow up if you broke the record)

Going to play the impossible game too? Your bets are  . . . 

Of course, 26,2 ... Got a bit lucky though, I drove durkng the best angle/most wind of the short trip. 

I want Chuny to win because I've known him since we were kids and he's the nicest, most honest guy you can imagine. Apart of being incredibly talented. 

I also know some people on Mapfre, crew, shore team, even the media crew and the top management guys too, I think Mapfre is the best team and therefore the ones with most chances to win.....  But, a Vestas win would probably make me happier.

3 hours ago, ASP said:

I don't follow..

It was Chuny driving... 

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Assume your bringing the model boats to reinforce your experience ...do Terra and I have to bring our own batteries?

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

also know some people on Mapfre, crew, shore team, even the media crew and the top management guys too, 

I will raise you...Sophie has me on speed dial....and I'm not a Uber Driver.

• Like 1

Whoever put the in-port race video up on the front page does not understand what the Cape Doctor is. Today is a Cape Doctor, the strong SEasterly for which Cape Town is rightly famed in the summer, and which blows away all the trash and smog, hence the name Cape Doctor. Yesterday's race was run in a gentle SWesterly with full mains and jibs. If they were sailing today they would have triple reefed mains and J3s. Anyway, I'm going to try to go kiting in this, but with my binoculars I can only see three kites out, so it may well be too much for me, sadly. Might have to wait till tomorrow.

18 hours ago, mad said:

Will you ever learn to read posts before asking stupid questions??

I’m beginning to wonder if you’re challenging Randum for the village idiot award. 

And you with your stupid remarks? Are you trying to obtain censorship authority by being stupid?
Peter van Niekerk is not onboard team AKzo Nobel in leg 3.
http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10522_Crew-Lists-Leg-3-Cape-Town-to-Melbourne.html
Facts are facts. 

Just now, schakel488 said:

And you with your stupid remarks? Are you trying to obtain censorship authority by being stupid?
http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10522_Crew-Lists-Leg-3-Cape-Town-to-Melbourne.html
Facts are facts. 

Just pointing out, yet again, your complete failure in reading posts before posting. 

Scroll up and take a look, it might be educational for you. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, stief said:

You going to play the ultimate guessing game too? You deserve a break after that binge.

Stifler I'm not known to go willy nilly into print without a lot of thinking so after doing so for 24 hrs after your question above about the long guessing game for this leg..not to be confused with success in say the first week and people pissing in their pants about projections.

Addiition of Ferris & Pella to those already on board the Paintwagon like Nicho (while even though he hasn't taken a 65 into the SO), then a relatively young talented grumpy Dutchman who has been through the mill and with something  to prove and then say a Brazillian chick with pedegree to burn and who wants to be the Ayrton Senna of  ocean racing...well I reakon they are the best "driving group" lining up Sunday amoungst some pretty impressive next ups. 

As for them going in the right direction...everything I saw in Leg 2 was pretty impressive having regard for Salter trying to get the Paintspot off the masking tape when they had BS issues.The front they fell off at the end hid a far better effort.

As for keeping it together, then enough experience on board to keep the rig in, young and not too much experience to back off too early.

Haven't got time to go onto the rest but IMHO the Paintwagon, Vestas and Mapfree will be the ones first sniffing the smell of eucalyptus coming off the Great Southern Land. 

Shang will hate me for saying it but I have the feeling the Dong has an air of fragility or vulnerability about it that I can't put my finger on. 

This is where the the racetrack leads them....and I have to say one of best big islands going that God invented on a Tuesday ..and just for you southern, this 35yo tune.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Stifler I'm not known to go willy nilly into print without a lot of thinking so after doing so for 24 hrs after your question above about the long guessing game for this leg..not to be confused with success in say the first week and people pissing in their pants about projections.

Addiition of Ferris & Pella to those already on board the Paintwagon like Nicho (while even though he hasn't taken a 65 into the SO), then a relatively young talented grumpy Dutchman who has been through the mill and with something  to prove and then say a Brazillian chick with pedegree who wants to be the Ayrton Senna of the ocean...well I reakon they are best "driving group" lining up Sunday amoungst some pretty impressive next ups. 

As for them going in the right direction...everything I saw in Leg 2 was pretty impressive having regard for Salter trying to get the Paintspot off the masking tape when they had BS issues.The front they fell off at the end hid a far better effort.

As for keeping it together, then enough experience on board to keep the rig in, young and not too much experience to back off too early.

Haven't got time to go onto the rest but IMHO the Paintwagon, Vestas and Mapfree will be the ones first sniffing the smell of eucalyptus coming off the Great Southern Land. 

Shang will hate me for saying it but I have the feeling the Dong has an air of fragility or vulnerability about it that I can't put my finger on. 

This is where the the racetrack leads them....and I have to say one of best big islands going that God invented on a Tuesday ..and just for you southern.

It’s a bloody hard call for the top 3, I’ll be interested to hear about the ‘fragility’ of DFRT that you mentioned. Are basing this on loosing a mast previously by not backing off?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, mad said:

Are basing this on loosing a mast previously by not backing off?

Nope....well maybe a weeny bit.. but Alzheimer's will prevail there.

22 hours ago, SCANAS said:

They replace the sailors Like Molloy  and Peter van Niekerk

20 hours ago, schakel488 said:

Will Peter van Niekerk be on board team Akzo Nobel  during leg 3?

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Fuck randumb may only have water in his fuel compared to you schaknuts.

• Like 1

Dee Caffari‏ Verified account @deecaffari 2h2 hours ago

Blowing dogs off chains today. Not looking much different tomorrow! A proper Cape Town send off in store for the start of leg 3

Gad, I love this place! Best place in the world to follow ocean racing.

That said, am in debt to so many of you for the recent content. No time now to explain, but will not forget in the months to come. Quick debt list:

Sc for the scrapings and more. Dragon, +lots for the local knowledge, CT vids. kiting, and weather leads (SC also had a 'of local interest' [posts last edition about the places the boats passed, I vote they are better than trolling posts). I'll pay back with the kiter Ivo (Windy founder), stories of growing up in Nigeria, my own Capetown doctor's transpac, and the L'eau Commotion blog. To Shaks, js and mad, for trying to get the thread beyond stupidity and bullying. Never did get to thank you js for the Speirs/ Sir Robin post (tracking down the source of RKJ's snip failed after 2 hours), and the compuserve precursor to the gifs. Laughed at the wit those keyboard graphics took. Shaks, NOR 8 & 9 are good reading.  Fiji --really like the new voice you've chosen for this leg. Fiji Wise? Fiji Mellow? Still trying to figure out which voice is not a trap, but like the delicate/power promise of looking at drivers. Martine-Chuny possibilities? Chuso, still not sure how I can repay the thrill of the record breaking, the insights into Spanish sailing and language other than scraping American news and language for VS11 stuff. Elisa, for finally getting Shang to come back and give us the scoop on the East, no matter how windy.

Bottom line--feel like a young girl at a high school basketball tournament a few years ago. She was in the hallway, running on the spot, face screwed up as if in intense pain, fists punching the air, and I worriedly asked her, "are you OK?"

Finally understood her that her answer, "So many guys, so little time!" =

"So many topics, so little time"

Gad, I love this place. 

• Like 5

Stifler I get the impression you think you are about to die on us and so that stuff is all nice and not unexpected ..and we are all teary be assured??..

To get down to tin tacks and while I'm still processing your basketball analogy and may even god forbid need randumb's help with that, I hope you haven't forgot to put me in your will for something substantial? Hint your old Skoda won't cut the mustard. 

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Stifler I get the impression you think you are about to die on us and so that stuff is all nice and not unexpected ..and we are all teary be assured??..

To get down to tin tacks I hope you haven't forgot to put me in your will for something substantial? Hint your old Skoda won't cut the mustard. 

Kinda right, and wrong. MY wife is going to kill me if I don't get off this keyboard and help her get ready for a dinner party tonight with my sailing buddy from South Africa (who is also my doctor) and left the troubles in South Africa many years ago by navigating by sextant with no experience across the Atlantic (not Pacific). And my wife wants to buy a Volvo to replace the VW that was returned for a nice settlement to VW, and then the wreckers. Oops--she's yelling already. I'm so dead!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stief said:

We all love this place, most of the time.

And we all love you , all the time.

Stiefler Bindy just said to me tell him "sua bichano lixada" which is either "you are pussy whipped" or maybe it was "the pussy needs whipping"

Fuck I knew I should have got a car with a cassette player for those old dusty Speak Portugese in 30 Minutes tapes. 

I have to go too as you might have guessed, just in case it was the latter. We are probably both whipped thinking about it...at least you will be holding cutlery though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

while I'm still processing your basketball analogy

Jack, I will help you a little.

Was she offended by Witty ?    Nah !

Is she a delicate driver ?    Yeah !

Some B-roll stuff and interviews from the in-port race. Apologies if already posted; I'll get a room with Schakel then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

How did Akzo manage to damage their keel?

Ran over a kite surfer?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stief said:

Kinda right, and wrong. MY wife is going to kill me if I don't get off this keyboard and help her get ready for a dinner party tonight with my sailing buddy from South Africa (who is also my doctor) and left the troubles in South Africa many years ago by navigating by sextant with no experience across the Atlantic (not Pacific). And my wife wants to buy a Volvo to replace the VW that was returned for a nice settlement to VW, and then the wreckers. Oops--she's yelling already. I'm so dead!

Keep the VW. Everything else can be replaced. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chasm said:

How did Akzo manage to damage their keel?

Hit something in the water. With the forecast it was decided caution was the best option. So lift ASAP and check before it started blowing dogs off chains. 

39 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Some girls in their own words... and languages:

Renni---

Who did the interviews? Was it the Maus?

Are you on site in Cape Town?

2 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Renni---

Who did the interviews? Was it the Maus?

Are you on site in Cape Town?

Oh, I wish it was the case, but no.
These are VOR interviews provided to the press. I just put them together as the "ladies compilation".

Göteborg and Den Haag will probably be "my" stopovers/finish.

Thx Potter

Here is how Vestas f'd up their A3. At the 1 minute mark. A bit hard to tell but it looks to me like Jena Mai Hansen got a foot into the sheets while grinding

• Like 1

What a day for kiting, although only a few kiters did. Most sat and watched the show. I started around noon on my smallest kite, a 7m, got blown off the water pretty quickly, so went to a nearby kite shop and rented a 5.5m which was fine for an hour, during which time both Kevin Langaree and Nick Jacobsen came down and put on a show, and then most guys left, but I was not done and went back to the kite shop and exchanged for a 4m, which is the smallest kite I've ever ridden, and had another hour before quitting. Quite something. Below is the recording from the shop's windmeter, which is near the beach, but it blows even harder than that on the beach, and even harder beyond the waves, so the gusts were likely to 50mph, hence my need for a 4m kite for the late afternoon. Of course Kevin and Nick were on 8m kites! It was hard to stand on the beach, the sandblasting was head high. Hoping to kite with the VORs tomorrow if they set the course close enough to the beach. If you see an orange and black kite being a nuisance you will know who.

December9_2017.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Aha, so Chuny was the driver. Not too impressive then... 

But I think, in the Southern Ocean, he will be a more "sensitive" driver then Stu, ref above +100

As I said earlier, "powerful people are not always the most "sensitive" drivers, if you know what I mean."

Hold your course, "it's all about fast, in the right direction", exactly, not strength...

good down wind driving isn't about physical strength? who knew?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

These are VOR interviews provided to the press. I just put them together as the "ladies compilation".

Ah Den Haag the home of mayonnaise on chips, put some extra on for me.   Or you could try tomato sauce and live a little, maybe even some vinegar.

14 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Fiji, I think some are missing the sexual innuendo.

Huh. Never heard anyone talk about power being the dispositive factor in good helming. 

And all this time I thought smooth and gentle easy does it. But I guess muscles somehow slow the boat down

As Xabi explains, “In this Volvo we are seeing that the leg starts are really important, and it is very even. We will first sail a short course here in Cape Town, and with a lot of wind. Starting upwind in 30 knots has its difficulties, so the priority will be to ensure that nothing gets broken over the first few days. We will have to weigh up our priorities, between pushing to be at the front, and holding back, particularly with the  sails, because in upwind conditions they suffer a lot. We will need to find this balance, keeping an eye on our rivals, and without losing any distance, because it is much harder to make it up later.”

Even though many have already had first-hand experience of the toughness of the Southern Ocean, on board MAPFRE it will be a first for New-Zealander  Blair Tuke and for Galician sailor Támara Echegoyen.

“Sometimes uncertainty is your best ally, but at other times it is not the case. For me, everything is new, and it even takes me longer to pack my bag. I don’t know if I am putting in everything that I need, or if what I pack will be useless. We all know the Southern Ocean is cold and with a lot of wind, and when you think about it, you always imagine its difficulty, but I am really looking forward to this challenge, and especially to do it with MAPFRE”.

http://desafiomapfre.com/en/11307-2-2/

10 hours ago, stief said:

That said, am in debt to so many of you for the recent content. No time now to explain, but will not forget in the months to come. Quick debt list:

Sc for the scrapings and more. Dragon, +lots for the local knowledge, CT vids. kiting, and weather leads (SC also had a 'of local interest' [posts last edition about the places the boats passed, I vote they are better than trolling posts). I'll pay back with the kiter Ivo (Windy founder), stories of growing up in Nigeria, my own Capetown doctor's transpac, and the L'eau Commotion blog. To Shaks, js and mad, for trying to get the thread beyond stupidity and bullying. Never did get to thank you js for the Speirs/ Sir Robin post (tracking down the source of RKJ's snip failed after 2 hours), and the compuserve precursor to the gifs. Laughed at the wit those keyboard graphics took. Shaks, NOR 8 & 9 are good reading.  Fiji --really like the new voice you've chosen for this leg. Fiji Wise? Fiji Mellow? Still trying to figure out which voice is not a trap, but like the delicate/power promise of looking at drivers. Martine-Chuny possibilities? Chuso, still not sure how I can repay the thrill of the record breaking, the insights into Spanish sailing and language other than scraping American news and language for VS11 stuff. Elisa, for finally getting Shang to come back and give us the scoop on the East, no matter how windy.

Bottom line--feel like a young girl at a high school basketball tournament a few years ago. She was in the hallway, running on the spot, face screwed up as if in intense pain, fists punching the air, and I worriedly asked her, "are you OK?"

"So many topics, so little time"

Gad, I love this place. 

No mate, thank you. Some people make this forum interesting and some don't. Your input here is and has been precious.

As I said, thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks Crux, for posting all that good stuff.

I noticed that Stief left you out of his eulogy, must have been a bit of a brain fart. Trust he will write a niece piece just for you !

And as far as this earlier post goes,

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Fiji, I think some are missing the sexual innuendo.

this time there was no sex involved, honestly.

I seem to have provoked a few comments with my "too powerful" and "sensitive" remarks, and have given it a bit more thought. The easy one is sensitive, as that relates to sensing. A lot of sensing is involved, that's obvious.

The too powerful comment is a bit harder to explain and I will come back on that one, promise.

8 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The too powerful comment is a bit harder to explain and I will come back on that one, promise.

Might well be juice in that. Do'nt give up..

Interesting Leg isn't it?  

Push the boat for the double points but not enough to break the boat and miss the start of the next Leg.  And starting off in boat breaking conditions followed by the Southern Ocean.

11 hours ago, stief said:

Congratulations mate, well done.  You really do understand this place, closing with an anecdote like that (true or not) is a master stroke.  Perfect match with a lot of poster's view of women generally.

Awesome stuff.

There is going to be a major arse kicking tomorrow for the teams.  And a correspondingly slower leg for the teams that don't bust up in the first ten hours!

VORleg3.2.JPG

VORleg3.2sum.JPG

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

More Grael.  

Always thought that the Flying Dutchman was about Cape Horn (Kaap Hoorn), but Martine Also Noble got it right, its origin is at the Good Hope (Kaap De Goede Hoop), very appropriately named, really.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Vliegende_Hollander_(volkskunde)&prev=search

A version of the saga wants the Dutch captain Willem van der Decken insisted to leave the port on his way to the East Indies with his VOC ship on Easter morning, despite the bad weather conditions and against the will of his wife.After all, it was a power struggle to sail to Batavia as quickly as possible and the captain did not have time to lose. Weather or no weather, Easter or no Easter party. After a long journey the ship reached the southwestern point of Africa, Cape of Good Hope . The captain tried to pass the land point, whereupon the crew protested. They begged him to return to Table Bay . The captain refused and became so angry that he threw the helmsman overboard and exclaimed: "God or the devil ... I sail the Cape, although I must sail until the last judgment ."Before punishment, the ship fell into the power of the devil, and the captain must continue to sail at sea for eternity.The dead crew performs their duties in silence.Sometimes the Flying Dutchman sends a sloop to passing unfortunate people, asking if they want to take a pile of letters to relatives who turned out to have died centuries ago According to traditions of people who saw De Vliegende Hollander, the ship sailed with blood-red sails against the wind above the water.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

There is going to be a major arse kicking tomorrow for the teams.  And a correspondingly slower leg for the teams that don't bust up in the first ten hours!

What could go wrong?

4 hours ago, 3to1 said:

good down wind driving isn't about physical strength? who knew?

Read some of the wrist and elbow problems the regular helmsman get from downwind helming. 

There is a certain amount of specific strength and prior training required, male or female. 

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What could go wrong?

Don't know Boss. But, if anything's going to happen, it's going to happen out there!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Read some of the wrist and elbow problems the regular helmsman get from downwind helming. 

in general, it idn't about strength, son.

3 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

in general, it idn't about strength, son.

Have you read any of the background information?  And I’m not your son either.... fuck off!

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

That was the most memorable edition yet in the races history. Had everything from this leg to the Great Southern Land though to unfortunately tragedy.

The next editions when they went pussy and went stopover shopping first aiming for India then Camel Country complete with freighter racing, never quite did it for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

fill me in.

Go look yourself before shooting your mouth off. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

full twat mode, what's new?

Just getting bored with the Ill informed and the trolls, not sure which you are, or both. 

• Downvote 1

Depends on the boat.

The heavy displacement boats could pull your arm out of socket.  

A well balanced planing boat can skip in and out with ease. Keep the foils flowing and the nose out.  Might have to wrestle a broach here and there but a "nice touch on the helm" is IMHO is required.  And for the autopilot too (IMOCA)

And with that I'm getting the hell out of this one.

11 minutes ago, mad said:

Go look yourself before shooting your mouth off. 

get over it, it's everybody's sand box. 

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

thanks buddy !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

get over it, it's everybody's sand box. 

You’re right, I’ll leave you and Schakel to compare notes and stay out of it. You 2 will make far more sense to each other. 

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The next editions when they went pussy and went stopover shopping first aiming for India then Camel Country complete with freighter racing, never quite did it for me.

Amen to that.

On 09/12/2017 at 11:38 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

And as far as Stu goes, no doubt he is a great and very experienced driver, but he seems a bit too powerful for my liking, and powerful people are not always the most "sensitive" drivers, if you know what I mean.

On 09/12/2017 at 11:56 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Too powerful???? This is not around the fucking cans...down there it's all about fast, in the right direction, not wiping out...and staying attached to the wheel.

It's not calligraphy.

The current driving discussion about "strength" has had a derailment. 

^^^^ It started with Fugut's view Bannatyne was too "powerfull" and not "sensitive" enough for driving fast down hill when it is sporty+.

Obviously Fugut thinks Stu doesn't deserve the title "King of the Southern Ocean" or possibly he was asleep below when half a dozen boats or so he was on broke world mono 24 hour records.

Yes it is a broad church here, but idiocy has to be stopped at some point.

As it is now intermission. 

A good pic of InPort start showing two far different outcomes. Scallyskirts nailed it but then went out the back door (gear issue) and the Paintwagon a horrible start (Sehested driving admitted his mistake) but dragged themselves back into it with BS that bettered the Dongs at times.

DQhewv5WsAItF3A.jpeg

• Like 1

And now looking to the future..

Being on the right side of this sucker towards the end of the week will interesting enough ...being caught on the wrong side ....ouch....and maybe back in Cape Town.

DQnMbBEXcAA3GR8.jpeg

3 hours ago, mad said:

You’re right, I’ll leave you and Schakel to compare notes and stay out of it. You 2 will make far more sense to each other. 

this from a condescending dough boy who thinks driving a boat down wind is an arm wrestling contest- that's fkn' rich..

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scallyskirts nailed it but then went out the back door (gear issue)

Looked like the penalty was the problem.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The current driving discussion about "strength" has had a derailment. 

^^^^ It started with Fugut's view Bannatyne was too "powerfull" and not "sensitive" enough for driving fast down hill when it is sporty+.

Obviously Fugut thinks Stu doesn't deserve the title "King of the Southern Ocean" or possibly he was asleep below when half a dozen boats or so he was on broke world mono 24 hour records.

Yes it is a broad church here, but idiocy has to be stopped at some point.

Oh jerry_sparrow , you are so funny. First confusing me with Randumb and then with my grandpa, who's also got Rtwr-heimer, and  who incidentally won a couple of Whitbreads, was not asleep when they broke the noon to noon 24 hr. record, and the outright round the world record. Maybe you won a Whitbread too, but forgot to set any records, right ?

I only said that Stu might be a BIT too powerful for my liking. It's a sentiment I picked up in the Bay of Islands (NZ), home of many ex Whitbread legends and current Volvo sailors as well. Some of them might have been sailing friends of you, as they were talking about a humorless Aussy bowman, who they would not let drive in 20+ knot winds.

Anyway, all I meant to say was that it is not all about strength, and that pure power might even be a potential liability in regards to breaking things. And that I prefer a more sensitive helmsman, maybe a Queen of the Southern Ocean, who senses every wave and anticipates the windshifts, let the boat surf forever, and effortless steers for the full hour. 

Let's hope that the OBR's will show plenty of the steering, not just a few short shots, but nice minutes long shots of all the great powerful and sensitive steering, an art of beauty and a joy forever. 

Go for it, all you old and young boys and girls, we will be watching you !

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Anyway, all I meant to say was that it is not all about strength, and that pure power might even be a potential liability in regards to breaking things. And that I prefer a more sensitive helmsman, maybe a Queen of the Southern Ocean, who senses every wave and anticipates the windshifts, let the boat surf forever, and effortless steers for the full hour. 

lol, for real?? pretty sure King Kong and the guy with the 'roid rage is staying on the dock.