• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
rmdanko

Triton2 vs Vulcan5

Unless I am missing something, and I do quite often, why would I use a vulcan 5 to display instrument values instaed of a Triton 2

vulcan is cheaper and has more potential uses, I think

whoops, meant to stay why WOULDN'T I use Vulcan 5 instead of Triton 2

Power consumption is probably 10x higher and it likely can't run off of backbone power.  

I have a Vulcan 5 connected to a system with 2 Triton 1 displays. It does need it's own power feed, but it will show everything that the Tritons will and should work fine as a single display. I have ours set up to show information that I can't or is difficult to push to the tritons. 

If you are starting from scratch though, it might be more cost effective or close enough to it, to by a Triton sail pack and a Vulcan 5 than it would be to buy the transducers and wiring kit separately.  

That said, if I were to buy it all again, I would have gotten the Vulcan 7 over the 5. The 5 is nice and works fine, but I'd prefer the larger screen size now that I've used it for a season.

At the NPT Boat Show in Sept. I was told by a B&G rep the Vulcan series is end of lifed and there would be no additional software updates whereas the Zeus 2 & 3 models will still be updated. 

1 hour ago, DrewR said:

At the NPT Boat Show in Sept. I was told by a B&G rep the Vulcan series is end of lifed and there would be no additional software updates whereas the Zeus 2 & 3 models will still be updated. 

We'll, that's shitty. Odd that they recently released a 12" version of it though. 

Edit: Just went to the B&G website and went to the Vulcan page. They list 7, 9, and 12" versions as part of their lineup but not the 5. They also list a bit further down that the 5 is only available for a limited time, which per my earlier comment, kind of makes sense. Still shitty in that I own one. 

The rep I talked to was not a salesman but a embedded developer and we had a good geek talk since that's what I do in another industry.

He said the Vulcan is a different hardware platform from the Zeus 2 & 3 and he knew of no plans for any enhancements.  Both the Zeus products are built on a similar platform so are likely to be enhanced for a while.  He said they planned on a 2 year cycle, but with Raymarine offering seemingly lifetime updates for their eX line that is still not certain.

But basically he talked me out of the Vulcan from any consideration at any price.

I use V7 as a data display next to the wheel. V5 might be a bit small for the task, depends on your setup of course.

And yes it powers off the backbone no problem.

About the Vulcan series end of life. I heard the exactly opposite that they would bring more Zeus funcionality in the near future? Who knows...

From a marketing standpoint, B&G will likely have standalone (Vulcan) and fully networked (Zeus) series of plotters continuing into the future. 

The Zeus is on third generation, and the previous generations ("2" & "touch") are falling off the software update cycles over time. 

Vulcan may come up as a "Vulcan 2" with different hardware and thus software at some point that obsoletes the older "vulcan" as well. 

Look at the Lowrance/Simrad lines for their equivalents to get a preview of where the hardware is going. 

I find the small Vulcans very nice in terms of footprint and sleek appearance with no buttons, it's a shame they are not networked with other B&G chartplotters. I think it's a misconception to pitch them only as the cheaper version of Zeus charplotters: in the cockpit of a performance boat, a combination of H5000 displays with a fully networked Vulcan 7 would be a very nice set up.