It is official as of last night.  NOSA ratified a contract acquiring the Border Run race from XS Sailing.  The two Border Run courses will be integrated into the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race event, which will offer 3 courses in 2018; Newport to Ensenada (N2E), Newport to San Diego (N2SD - Border Run), & Newport to Dana Point (N2DP - Border Sprint).  Also new is that the N2DP course will offer small one design classes as well as Portsmouth for beach cats and non-one design small boats.  All starts are April 27.  All courses share in all activities, like the Thursday night pre-race party at the Balboa Yacht Club.  

It'll probably take a few days for PR and website updates to catch up.  NORs will be up in a few weeks.  Registration starts 1/1/18.

That's pretty awesome and I'm in for the Dana Point sprint.  Thanks for all the work this must have taken.

59 minutes ago, Bill Gibbs said:

It is official as of last night.  NOSA ratified a contract acquiring the Border Run race from XS Sailing.  The two Border Run courses will be integrated into the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race event, which will offer 3 courses in 2018; Newport to Ensenada (N2E), Newport to San Diego (N2SD - Border Run), & Newport to Dana Point (N2DP - Border Sprint).  Also new is that the N2DP course will offer small one design classes as well as Portsmouth for beach cats and non-one design small boats.  All starts are April 27.  All courses share in all activities, like the Thursday night pre-race party at the Balboa Yacht Club.  

It'll probably take a few days for PR and website updates to catch up.  NORs will be up in a few weeks.  Registration starts 1/1/18.

Good job.

But I think I registered a few months ago.

2 hours ago, Parma said:

Good job.

But I think I registered a few months ago.

A number of people had registered for the Border Run, a few had paid fees.  We are working with Border Run to unwind these.  Cancellation, refund, and re-register is the most likely solution.  We intend to contact all so involved in the coming months.

5 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

All courses share in all activities, like the Thursday night pre-race party at the Balboa Yacht Club.  

:o:o What ??

has NOSA been following my posts ??

BYC is NOT BCYC ...... But it Is BUY & by the Race Boats & is involved with the Race

sounds like I might need to dig out the Towel I threw in after the last one I went to :)

BG, Thaqnk You for all your hard work & sharing what's going on with us !!!

17 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

They are working on YB trackers for all entries in all courses.

Thank you for working with YB for trackers.

2 hours ago, DryArmour said:

Thank you for working with YB for trackers.

Remember before or aftrr the race to drop off your YB tracker at a church while you are hanging out at the Gentleman's Club ....... (they only know the trail you leave behind) :-O

Big doings, congrats!  Sounds like a good plan.  I hope it succeeds. 

Good job Bill on the trackers and combining the races, now we need some pro video footage or some way that boats can send video to Nosa for a pro to make a great video and promote it for next year

I'd like to do the border run but if you classify it as Coastal per the USS SER, my 1980's Zap 26 will not be able to fulfill the requirements.
Make sure you do not exclude too many boats.

20 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I'd like to do the border run but if you classify it as Coastal per the USS SER, my 1980's Zap 26 will not be able to fulfill the requirements.
Make sure you do not exclude too many boats.

I'm afraid we don't have much choice here, the USSER course definitions are pretty clear on their definitions.  We have N2SD as Coastal, but N2DP as Nearshore.  What is it about your Zap 26 that can't do Coastal?

On 11/26/2017 at 2:21 PM, Bill Gibbs said:

We have N2SD as Coastal, but N2DP as Nearshore.

The NOR posted has N2DP as Coastal. An error I hope?

4 hours ago, DWD said:

The NOR posted has N2DP as Coastal. An error I hope?

Yes indeed.  Thanks for mentioning it.  People have been notified.  An amendment will be forthcoming.

I guess people do read those things.

17 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Yes indeed.  Thanks for mentioning it.  People have been notified.  An amendment will be forthcoming.

Great. I also sent an email to NOSA. For dinghies to participate it seems there will need to be quite a few waivers even for nearshore. For a Laser, or Aero in my case, it would be nice if the following is all that is required:

1. PFD
2. Method of communication (cell phone can replace VHF)
3. Waterproof flashlight/strobe
4. Compass mounted (magnetic or electronic)

5. Whistle
6. Towing line of 20’ min length

12 hours ago, DWD said:

Great. I also sent an email to NOSA. For dinghies to participate it seems there will need to be quite a few waivers even for nearshore. For a Laser, or Aero in my case, it would be nice if the following is all that is required:

1. PFD

5. Whistle

You forgot the Shark Bite Kit & GoPro KnockOff

On 12/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, DWD said:

1. PFD

5. Whistle

I think a Cell phone replacing a Handheld VHF is a huge mistake.

And besides where are the relatively protected waters as described in the Nearshore description?
Is Catalina protecting something? The only relatively protected waters South of Conception are behind the LA Breakwater and inside SD Bay. Maybe paradise cove.

Too many people are lured in by the relatively placid conditions of So Cal and then the shit hits the fan and people die .
That is why we are saddled with these silly SER, which are recommendations and NOSA should grow a pair and say "We recommend you comply with the recommendations of the USS SER but do not require it"

Too many regulations hurt participation and do not stop stupid people from doing stupid things

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

I think a Cell phone replacing a Handheld VHF is a huge mistake.

And besides where are the relatively protected waters as described in the Nearshore description?
Is Catalina protecting something? The only relatively protected waters South of Conception are behind the LA Breakwater and inside SD Bay. Maybe paradise cove.

Too many people are lured in by the relatively placid conditions of So Cal and then the shit hits the fan and people die .
That is why we are saddled with these silly SER, which are recommendations and NOSA should grow a pair and say "We recommend you comply with the recommendations of the USS SER but do not require it"

Too many regulations hurt participation and do not stop stupid people from doing stupid things

+ 1 on nixing the phone as being usefuly trusted 

AND on SoKalifornia Waters only being Pacific Most of the time

On 12/12/2017 at 3:45 PM, Bill Gibbs said:

The amendment for the  N2DP NOR is posted

On 12/15/2017 at 9:35 AM, DA-WOODY said:

+ 1 on nixing the phone as being usefuly trusted 

AND on SoKalifornia Waters only being Pacific Most of the time

I still have never received an answer as too whether the Velocitek Shift fits the description as a fixed mount magnetic compass independent of the ships electrical system.

I hope NOSA address this issue. I believe it is required for all 3 courses.

Offshore, Coastal, Inshore

Safety Equipment: Navigation 3.19.1 A boat shall have a permanently mounted magnetic compass independent of the boat's electrical system suitable for steering at sea. x x x

Noticed that SER 3.1.2 (PFD crotch straps) and SER 4.3.2 (Safety at Sea seminar) which have been waived in the past are not excepted in this year's NOR.

Can it be assumed that NOSA intends to require both this year?

16 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I still have never received an answer as too whether the Velocitek Shift fits the description as a fixed mount magnetic compass independent of the ships electrical system.

I hope NOSA address this issue. I believe it is required for all 3 courses.

Offshore, Coastal, Inshore

Safety Equipment: Navigation 3.19.1 A boat shall have a permanently mounted magnetic compass independent of the boat's electrical system suitable for steering at sea. x x x

The N2DP NOR waives “permanently mounted” for small boats, so that’s a step.  A waterproof Boy Scout compass or bearing compass, would meet the current requirement.  My interpretation on the SER’s intent is to be able to navigate in the event of a power or electronic failure.  A small boat doesn’t have an electrical system, but a velocitek shift could fail or run out of charge.  Are all compasses inherently “magnetic”, or does this term refer to non-powered compasses?  I think the later.  So I think no, the Velocitek doesn’t meet the requirement.  But I am not a US Sailing judge.  

This doesn’t seem an unreasonable or expensive to meet requirement.

19 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

Noticed that SER 3.1.2 (PFD crotch straps) and SER 4.3.2 (Safety at Sea seminar) which have been waived in the past are not excepted in this year's NOR.

Can it be assumed that NOSA intends to require both this year?

Straps were waived the first year required because they could not be obtained in time for the race.  Following year waivers were copy and paste NOR creation oversights.  They are arguably something in the SER that could have saved lives in past California Sailing accidents.

SAS seminars were waived for a similar reason, no online classes for the coastal level requirement.  NOSA has been assured classes are/will be available.

so yes, no waivers.  My crew did the class last year before the late waiver, so we are set.

9 minutes ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Straps were waived the first year required because they could not be obtained in time for the race.  Following year waivers were copy and paste NOR creation oversights.  They are arguably something in the SER that could have saved lives in past California Sailing accidents.

SAS seminars were waived for a similar reason, no online classes for the coastal level requirement.  NOSA has been assured classes are/will be available.

so yes, no waivers.  My crew did the class last year before the late waiver, so we are set.

I agree, the notice that the SaS requirement would be enforced last year was kind of late so there were limited opportunities for either live or online training so it was reasonable to waive it last year. But no reason to waive it this year.

Will NOSA be enforcing the requirement by anything other than the honor system? Do we need to dig out our certificates?

10 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

The N2DP NOR waives “permanently mounted” for small boats, so that’s a step.  A waterproof Boy Scout compass or bearing compass, would meet the current requirement.  My interpretation on the SER’s intent is to be able to navigate in the event of a power or electronic failure.  A small boat doesn’t have an electrical system, but a velocitek shift could fail or run out of charge.  Are all compasses inherently “magnetic”, or does this term refer to non-powered compasses?  I think the later.  So I think no, the Velocitek doesn’t meet the requirement.  But I am not a US Sailing judge.  

This doesn’t seem an unreasonable or expensive to meet requirement.

9 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Newport to San Diego is a day sail.

Are you really going to require me to have an EPIRB, Jack Lines and My Velocitek Shift will not fit the bill?
Have you even read that the shift has a 4 day battery without solar charging?  https://www.velocitek.com/products/shift

Really, you guys should call yourself USS NOSA

5 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

If you pick the right day...

3 minutes ago, ExOmo said:

If you pick the right day...

Like I said before, there are no relatively protected waters, required for the Near Shore Race, requirements. Except, behind the LA Breakwater and inside the SD Bay.

NOSA is kidding themselves and picking cherries.

If I am required to play the USS SER Coastal Game, this will be a race I will not be able to attend and thus the Yachting Cup the following weekend.

15 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Are you really going to require me to have an EPIRB, Jack Lines and My Velocitek Shift will not fit the bill?
Have you even read that the shift has a 4 day battery without solar charging?  https://www.velocitek.com/products/shift

Really, you guys should call yourself USS NOSA

NOSA used to sit around in closed door meetings making up new safety requirements.  While their intentions were good, the results were worse than the USSERs I think.  Certainly less consistent with all other races.  Virtually all races are run under US Sailing and their Racing Rules of Sailing.  They have published their SERs.  NOSA is trying to make minimum waivers, not revolt against the idea of USSERs.  There is a culture of we don't need no safety rules in sailing, that should be countered, IMO.  We don't need a nannie state, but rather some balance.  We have had fatalities in California sailboat racing that were preventable.  A near miss in Ventura was a 20 nm race around an oil rig.  The wind came up.  A man overboard without a PFD.  The waves were big enough to obscure visibility and enough wind to make sail handling difficult.   Boat after boat sailed by without seeing him.  Luck in the form of an oil worker on the rig, with a good high view, vectored in rescue, otherwise...  Next time no oil rig.  A PLB would have saved him.  A PFD would have provided a lot more time.  

Regarding your specifics, An EPIRB is nor required in Coastal, a PLB ($244 on Amazon) will fill the requirement.  Jacklines could be simply spectra line rigged.  The concern with the Regarding Velocitek, I don't think I've owned a piece of electronic equipment that hasn't failed at some point, usually at the worst possible time.  Back up is good.   What will you use when it dies.  Compasses start under $20 on Amazon.

I do not think the USSERs are perfect or that they reflect exactly the decisions that I would make personally.  But consistency across all races is good.  Encouraging safety is good.  At the end of the day you have choices.  You can choose to not race.  Or you can choose to not follow all the USSERs.  You can lobby US Sailing for SER changes.  Or... 

The skipper is ultimately responsible for all safety, as well as the decision to set sail and leave the harbor.

7e283aca-7f68-461c-b045-86f5b6a2baae.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

N2E introduces YB Tracking
Adding more safety and excitement to the 2018 race!

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif; February 5, 2018 – Raising the safety bar for the 71st annual Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race while setting a new standard for the involvement of friends and family is what its new relationship with YB Tracking is all about, said Newport Ocean Sailing Association officials.

Racers on all three courses; the iconic 125-mile course to Ensenada, the new short course to Dana Point, and the Border Run course to San Diego will carry the trackers.  

“We’re all about safety first, but it’s also an amazing opportunity for the sailing community and non-sailors see what this classic and storied race is all about,” said NOSA Commodore Daniel Hodge. “It’s a very exciting opportunity for N2E that also provided the race true international exposure. I’m really excited that NOSA has stepped up; not only to create more opportunities for racers but also for up-and-coming racers all the while garnering worldwide exposure for our sponsors.”

For the high school and collegiate racers on the short course, YB Tracking will serve as a valuable learning tool. Racers can review the race data and analyze how to do better from a different perspective.

For N2E sponsors, YB tracking will be available on the Website of our major sponsor, the Los Angeles Times, on the NOSA Web site, and on mobile and social media apps so shore side sailing enthusiasts can follow along.

The move means N2E joins the like of other major sailing regattas like Transpac, San Diego to Puerto Vallarta Race, the Islands Race and even the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race use YB Tracking.

“As a racer, I am very excited YB Tracking will be implemented for the 2018 Ensenada Race so that friends and family can follow the race as the boats head to Mexico. It will allow spectators to keep track of their favorite boats and gain insight into tactical decisions and overnight lead changes that usually go unnoticed,” said Shaun Prestridge, a new NOSA board member. “Like many racers, I will be sharing a link to tracking page on my social media handles.”

YB Tracking, previously known as Yellowbrick Tracking, has been providing racers on land and at sea its satellite mapping hardware and software since 2009. 

“YB Tracking looks forward to supporting the N2E team towards another exciting and memorable edition of the race!, said YB Tracking’s Alex Burgis who believes the use of satellite tracking both promotes safety as well as spectator engagement. “YB Tracking offers a robust, tried and tested tracking solution allowing for both Race Officials and fans of the event to follow the action on the water,” he said.

Race mapping can be accessed free of charge via links which will be posted before the race. As the start of N2E 2018 nears, a link will populate in the list of upcoming races at ybtracking.com.  

Additionally, the monitors behind the front desk of the Hotel Coral in Ensenada will display the progress of the fleet so those checking in to the hotel will quickly know the location of all boats.

To be a participant rather than an observer in N2E 2018, please get a sneak peek at your competition and register for the race at  www.nosa.org. Racers are encouraged to register early to ensure the availability of trackers.  

48 minutes ago, thebook said:

sounds great, what does the yb cost roughly? web site isnt too clear

It’s included in the entry fee

https://nypost.com/2018/03/23/missing-american-family-found-dead-in-mexico/

NEW

Missing American family found dead in Mexico

March 23, 2018 | 3:20pm | Updated

Modal Trigger
Missing American family found dead in Mexico
The Sharps were discovered dead in a condo in Mexico.Facebook

An Iowa family of four reported missing more than a week ago have been found dead in Mexico, according to new reports.

The bodies of Kevin Wayne Sharp, 41, his wife, Amy Marie Sharp, 38, and their kids, Sterling Wayne Sharp, 12, and Adrianna Marie Sharp, 7, of Creston, were discovered in a condo within a tourist complex where they had been staying, local police told the Des Moines Register.

There were no obvious signs of foul play, authorities said. Their official causes of death will be released after an autopsy, which is being performed in Mexico.

Following the Link This has NOTHING to do with the west coast of MEX much less Enchilada

Iowa family reported missing found dead in Mexico condominium

Linh Ta,MacKenzie Elmer,Kyle Munson,Aaron Young and Luke Nozicka, The Des Moines RegisterPublished 9:45 a.m. CT March 23, 2018 | Updated 8:57 p.m. CT March 26, 2018

"Life is not going to be the same without her" Beth Fry added after finding out that Amy Sharp, her husband Kevin and their two kids were found dead in Mexico early Friday morning. Brian Powers/The Register

sharps.jpg

(Photo: Special to the Register)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 52COMMENTEMAILMORE

A family of four on vacation from southwestern Iowa was found dead in a Mexican resort-town condominium Friday morning, authorities said.

Kevin Wayne Sharp, 41, Amy Marie Sharp, 38, and their children, Sterling Wayne Sharp, 12, and Adrianna Marie Sharp, 7, were found dead by authorities after conducting a welfare check in Tulum, Mexico.

UPDATE: Creston family died of gas asphyxiation, according to Mexican authorities

The State Attorney’s Office of Quintana Roo, a state on the Yucatan Peninsula, confirmed the ministry is investigating the cause of the family's deaths. During the initial inspection, there were no signs of injury or violence to the bodies or in the room, authorities said. Officials said Saturday that the foursome died of gas asphyxiation.

Jana Weland, Amy Sharp's cousin, told ABC News the family went to Mexico to enjoy the beach and meet friends. There were no signs of forced entry into the condo, Weland said in a video posted to Twitter by the Des Moines ABC affiliate.

"They went to sleep and never woke up," she said.

RELATED: At tearful vigil, Sharp relative thanks hometown for ‘overwhelming support’

The U.S. State Department confirmed the bodies of four U.S. citizens were found in Akumal, Mexico, which is near Tulum on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.

MORE: 'Half my family is gone': Mom mourns vacationing Iowa family found dead in Mexico

Around midnight Thursday, the Sharps' family members reported their relatives missing to Creston police.

Ashli Peterson, whose relationship to the Sharp family could not be confirmed, posted on Facebook on Thursday night that the family left the United States for Tulum on March 15. They were supposed to return from their trip on Wednesday and arrive in St. Louis. Then, the family was expected to travel to Danville, Illinois, for a Southwestern Community College men's basketball game Thursday, according to the post.

"The situation with the Kevin and Amy Sharp family is weighing heavily on our hearts and minds," said Todd Lorensen, the Southwestern basketball coach. "Members of their families have been strong Southwestern supporters for years. I consider them friends. They were to be here watching us play basketball this week."

MORE: Father of Iowa family found dead in Mexico was stock car racer

Amy Sharp's sister told the Creston News Advertiser that the family flew to Cancun from St. Louis and was renting a car and driving to Tulum, where they were renting a condo.

"On Wednesday at 7 p.m., Amy sent a text to our mom that said, 'We made it to our condo,'" Hoyt told the Creston News Advertiser. "That is the last communication she made."

Creston Police Chief Paul Ver Meer said their investigation determined the Sharp family had not boarded their flight from Cancun, Mexico, to the United States. The U.S. State Department was called along with officials in Mexico. When officials went to the condominium, they found the bodies of the family.

S6bjLeNC_R6PtYec?format=jpg&name=900x900

(3 of 3) Police said autopsies are being done in Mexico. Results are pending, but authorities said the family members showed "no sign of any traumatic injury."

There were no visible signs of trauma on any of the family members' bodies, Ver Meer said.

Ver Meer said they are waiting to hear the autopsy results for the cause of death.

It’s unknown when they will be returned to Iowa.

“It’s a very sad day for the Sharp family and the city of Creston as a whole,” Ver Meer said. “We’ll work through this together.”

A travel warning has been issued for Playa del Carmen, Mexico, following an unnamed threat that has closed the U.S. Embassy there. Buzz60

USA TODAY NETWORK INVESTIGATION

Novedades Quintana Roo, a news outlet in Cancun, reported that employees had entered the Sharps' room after noticing an odor.

The Sharps' stay at the hotel was scheduled between March 14 to March 21, according to the news outlet.

An advisory on the State Department's website last updated this month advises caution for Americans traveling to Mexico.

Timeline

MARCH 14: The Sharp family of Creston leaves the United States for Tulum, Mexico, for a vacation, according to relatives. Amy Sharp tells relatives they made it safely.

MARCH 17: Amy Sharp's Twitter account retweets an update about a college softball game, the last indication of the family's activity visible publicly on the internet. Both parents limited which of their Facebook posts were visible to the public; relatives did not say Friday when the most recent posts were published.

MARCH 21: The Sharps were scheduled to leave Cancun, Mexico, on an afternoon flight to St. Louis.

MARCH 22: The Southwestern Community College men's basketball team plays in the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II tournament in Danville, Illinois. The Sharps were expected to be in attendance; relatives are concerned when they are not present. The family eventually decides to contact law enforcement.

MARCH 23: Just after midnight, relatives contact Creston police about the missing family. The U.S. State Department contacts Mexican authorities, and a welfare check is conducted at the Sharps' condo, where their bodies are discovered. Authorities say they appear to have been dead for some time. An investigation begins.

thanks for watching!
opt-out-icon2.png

Relative Ashli Peterson shared the news in a Facebook post Friday afternoon.

“The Sharps have been located,” she wrote. “They were found last night in their condo deceased. There was no foul play! At this time that is all the information we have.”

“Please respect the family at this time as they go through the grieving process,” she continued. “Thank you for all the posts, shares, and kind words.”

Renee Hoyt, Amy Marie Sharp’s sister, told the Creston News Advertiser that the family left Creston on March 13 and drove to St. Louis, where they stayed the night before boarding a non-stop flight to Cancun the following day. The next day, the family had planned to rent a car and drive to Tulum, Mexico, where they were renting a condo, Hoyt said.

“On Wednesday at 7 p.m., Amy sent a text to our mom that said, ‘We made it to our condo,'” Hoyt said. “That is the last communication she made. We got told last night Kevin [Wayne Sharp] sent a text to Travis Anderson around 5 p.m. Thursday and Travis responded around 11:30 and has not heard anything back.”

A posting on the State Department’s website updated last week urges “increased caution” for Americans traveling to Mexico.

Regarding the Quintana Roo state, where Tulum is located, the department said, “the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016.”

“While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens.”

Jeez Woody!  What does this have to do with a Sailboat race to Ensenada? 

It was reported to be a water heater gas leak in their vacation rental, 2,700 miles away from Ensenada!  That's like scaring people from visiting LA, because of an accident in New York!  By the way, the US averages 17 deaths a year from natural gas.

Let's stop the Mexico bashing please, it's a big country.  I visited with the US Consul General in Tijuana yesterday.  He was lamenting people like you who make illogical negative connections.   The current State department travel advisory for Mexico is Level 2 "exercise additional caution".  Just like Belgium, Denmark, France,  and Italy, to name a few other 2s.  "There are no U.S. government restrictions in tourist areas in Baja California, which includes: Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tijuana".

How about supporting sailboat racing?

And trim your post size a bit would ya?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Jeez Woody!  What does this have to do with a Sailboat race to Ensenada? 

It was reported to be a water heater gas leak in their vacation rental, 2,700 miles away from Ensenada!  That's like scaring people from visiting LA, because of an accident in New York!  By the way, the US averages 17 deaths a year from natural gas.

Let's stop the Mexico bashing please, it's a big country.  I visited with the US Consul General in Tijuana yesterday.  He was lamenting people like you who make illogical negative connections.   The current State department travel advisory for Mexico is Level 2 "exercise additional caution".  Just like Belgium, Denmark, France,  and Italy, to name a few other 2s.  "There are no U.S. government restrictions in tourist areas in Baja California, which includes: Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tijuana".

How about supporting sailboat racing?

And trim your post size a bit would ya?

of note I thought I started off by saying this had Nothing to do eith West Coast MEX, and even less to do with Baja

But I Don't  see that in my post and it makes a Huge Difference

My posting of that is just to remind people to kerp on their toes in Mex/Baja (everywhere for that matter even at home)

that said

Thank You for all yoir hard work including keeping yoir finger in here  for input.

Can't wait to see how close BYC comes to the Hey Daz of the BCYC PreRace Parties mixing All the Racers from All classes together in Celibration of the Adventure starting the next morning !

1 minute ago, DA-WOODY said:

Can't wait to see how close BYC comes to the Hey Daz of the BCYC PreRace Parties mixing All the Racers from All classes together in Celibration of the Adventure starting the next morning !

Well about that....

Seems the NOSA people totally failed to overcome the objections of BYC to having a big party.  It'll still be a BIG party for ALL racers, just not at BYC.

1 minute ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Well about that....

Seems the NOSA people totally failed to overcome the objections of BYC to having a big party.  It'll still be a BIG party for ALL racers, just not at BYC.

Noooooo 

so what have the great minds concocked ???

yet another splintered mass of pre race parties for each sublet of racing so as to keep the unwashed from the privilaged they will never see after the start.

I am Only a Hater of the segregationist pre race parties where like people can avoid the others

Splintered parties

Splintered destanatiins

encouragement to keep to those who you regularly race with

nothing worse than those Class Crossers mingeling Up or Down where they don't belong 

Way to build interest in moving Up by keeping everyone to those just the same

so where are the pre race parties that are not Private going to be (ya that One) ??

2 hours ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Well about that....

Well here it is

Calendar of Events

PRE-RACE EVENTS
NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA

Skippers Luncheon
Wednesday, April 25, 2018…Skippers Luncheon at Bahia Corinthian YC 12:00 PM Speaker and a good lunch, recognition of Skippers doing race for over 20 years.  NOSA clothing for sale.  RSVP a must.  Cost $15.00pp.

VIP Owners and Skippers Reception
Wednesday, April 25, 2018…VIP Reception for Boat Owners-City Officials-Sponsors 6:00PM – 9:30PM STERLING BMW will again host a great party at Sterling BMW, Newport Beach.  RSVP a must!  Limit of 3 crew members per boat. Fundraiser Live + Silent Auction.

Sail Away Skippers and Crew Party
Thursday, April 26, 2018…Sail Away Party for Skippers and Crew at American Legion Yacht Club 6:00PM – 10:00PM.  2018 Newport to Ensenada  Clothing will be for sale.

START DAY
NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA U.S.A

RACE START
Friday, April 27, 2017…Race Starts off the Balboa Pier at  11:00AM

ALYC is a Nice enough place and has done better with each turn at bat

yet FAIL !!!!

The N2E  has many Fleets and Class Breaks 

Each one should NOT have their own separate pre-race party

Other wise its just a bunch of Loooong regular races for each class

The Magic of the N2E WAS intermingling of nOObz & Millionaires who would All come together with the Same Goal = Do the Best they can to get to Enchalada ASAP

Some how that get 0% consideration

BAD NEWS Each Fleet is NOT Strong enough to Thrive on it's own

I have spent  the past 27 years promoting involvement and participation in Sailing at All Levels

I Love the N2E ...... The Myth, the Magic and the Legend 

But it's being Killed off like Open land in SoCal

it's like you have a engineer grooming the event to be more structural ............... Missing the Whole Point of What it Was that made it a Must Attend Event

Money Can't Buy what is being tossed aside & as long as those in-charge of calling the shots are attending "The BEST Parties" the event shall suffer

Yes many will put up with it and as long as you keep swallowing other events created to address N2E shortcomings you can say N2E is growing

This Not from a Hater !!!!!!

Don't bother looking for me at the ALYC pre party (good party, Good People But Missing the boat by a mile+)

So whoz bright Idea was it to Can the BYC party ??

Will they still be going to the "Private" BYC  &/or BCYC Parties ?? (of course they are - No need to answer !!)   

PS I fully realize the VIP stuff has taken place  long before the end of the BCYC parties and that's Fantastic

Buy the BCYC party was a VIP for Everyone @ the event ................ but no more

Woody,

Come on man. You have to get over it. 

#1) The real racers party in Ensenada

#2) The reason neither BCYC nor BYC want to host a big open party is because the clubs get trashed.

#3) NOSA can't afford to offset the expenses that a few disrespectful guests have put on the clubs in the past.

The real party was always at the Bahia. Well, look how that facility has fared. There is a cost to partying like Animal House. While we can look back on those times through Beer and Tequila goggles fondly, someone has to pay the tab.

That's why we don't have the big open parties any more.

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Woody,

Pop pop use to tell stories to the crew about Hussongs  Bar  way back in the good o'days 

4 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Woody,

#2) The reason neither BCYC nor BYC want to host a big open party is because the clubs get trashed.

#3) NOSA can't afford to offset the expenses that a few disrespectful guests have put on the clubs in the past.

The real party was always at the Bahia. Well, look how that facility has fared. There is a cost to partying like Animal House. While we can look back on those times through Beer and Tequila goggles fondly, someone has to pay the tab.

That's why we don't have the big open parties any more.

so how many are invited to that party when only 1/3 of the courses even go to Enchalada and a great number quit and hang a left into DAGO  

Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race

April 27-29, 2018

Race Documents

Notice of Race – Newport To Ensenada International Yacht Race * Amendment 1
Notice of Race – Border Run to San Diego * Amendment #1 * Amendment #2 * Amendment 3
Notice of Race – Border Run Sprint to Dana Point  *  Amendment #1 * Amendment 2

NOTICE – PHRF of Southern California deleted the MIR rule on 1/17/2018

Race-Doc-SI-300x67.jpg

Sailing Instructions – Coming Soon

Race-Doc-Class-300x67.jpg

Class and Start Assignments – Coming Soon

Race-Doc-Other-300x67.jpg

Other Race-related documents – Coming Soon

Race-Doc-Trophies-300x67.jpg

The complete list of Perpetual Trophies for the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race is included in the Notice of Race. Some of these trophies are pictured below.

PRESIDENT-OF-UNITED-STATES-e151000902549

President of USA – Best Corrected Monohull
First awarded in 1949 to Soliloquy

ALICE-PURSELL-e1510009319676.jpgAlice Pursell – Best Corrected Multihull
First awarded in 1957 to Aikane

VOLUNTEER-AWARDS-600-x-480.jpg…And More

2018-240-x-240-site-image-250-x-250.jpg

and many of the rest Turn & Burn

how much can the unwashed masses who's boats are docked at BCYC do to a 100% Concrete deck stairs and that part all the way around to the right ??

bust out a steam cleaner and Wash all but the money away

will you be at BYC or BCYC ??? 

Neither, I avoid drinking the night before an overnighter. And while Wendi and I love to spend the weekend in Ensenada (especially the wine country). The new program I'm sailing with is going to turn and burn after the finish. It's going to be all about the racing this year.

1 hour ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Neither, I avoid drinking the night before an overnighter. And while Wendi and I love to spend the weekend in Ensenada (especially the wine country). The new program I'm sailing with is going to turn and burn after the finish. It's going to be all about the racing this year.

Anyone thinking everyone is going to Bond w everyone else in Enchalada is Completely Out of Touch

How long till the N2E merges with the Baja Ha Ha ?

Start in Newport or DAGO and head South, Go wherever You want to go and stay as long as you like

Some might Start and head South back into Newport Harbour 

It will never be a Big Event as long as it keeps being devided into sub groups

The BCYC Party was  a Fantastic Opportunity to see old friend Up and Down the  Racing Ladder

As well as meeting New Friends ya might never meet in the regular racing you do.

How long till the N2E has a Course that starts and stays in Mission Bay ?

The Event that Was the N2E is no more

Lots of Fun Stuff to be sure But no way is it even trying to be An Event 

Why not change the name to  "Newport Race Week" or "SoCal Race Week"

How many boats are acutally planning on landing in Enchalada to start with ?

How many of those have tentative plans to bail if they dont make the Coronados by midnight ?

Its still the Largest Sailing/race Start on the West Coast with lots of Fun things to do.

Bringing EVERYONE Together Builds Interest in Getting More Involved in Racing as you can talk to and get encouragement from Rock Stars as well as giving pointers to nOObs

When crowds are filtered by "CLASS" (ratings and otherwise) a Great chance to Build the Sport is Missed

The COUGARS/GOLD DIGGERS deserve their own thread :wub:  Yes we know they are still around - But NOT @ ALYC

Woody your passion for the race is admirable, but there’s no time machine to take us all back to 1982. The world has changed and the market for this sort of thing is just smaller.

if you think differently, then start the Woody Cougarfest Ensenada Yacht Party.

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

Woody your passion for the race is admirable, but there’s no time machine to take us all back to 1982. The world has changed and the market for this sort of thing is just smaller.

Hmmmmmmm 

6 hours ago, sunseeker said:

I have done Much to Support/Promote the N2E

5 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Hmmmmmmm 

N2EStart.jpg
NOSA.gif
N2E3.jpg

WOODYRAGTOP.thumb.jpg.89f0d5cf1c9b3de37a706c8ad35cf3b6.jpg

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I have done Much to Support/Promote the N2E

maybe in the past. now you're just a whiner. get over it.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:15 PM, VWAP said:

Pop pop use to tell stories to the crew about Hussongs  Bar  way back in the good o'days 

As it happens I was there last Wednesday night (after a magnificent dinner at Sanos owned by another member of the Hussong family and a N2E participant).  It must have been a local spring break or something as it was crammed with young folk having a good time.  Evidently good times still go on there.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:25 PM, DA-WOODY said:

The N2E  has many Fleets and Class Breaks 

Each one should NOT have their own separate pre-race party

Other wise its just a bunch of Loooong regular races for each class

The Magic of the N2E WAS intermingling of nOObz & Millionaires who would All come together with the Same Goal = Do the Best they can to get to Enchalada ASAP

Some how that get 0% consideration

Woody,

There are no class or course separated parties hosted by NOSA as part of this event.  All skippers are invited to the Skipper pre-events and none overlap with Thursday night party.

There may be Yacht Club hosted events that overlap, but there is nothing NOSA can do about what Yacht Clubs want to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Gibbs said:

Woody,

There are no class or course separated parties hosted by NOSA as part of this event.  All skippers are invited to the Skipper pre-events and none overlap with Thursday night party.

There may be Yacht Club hosted events that overlap, but there is nothing NOSA can do about what Yacht Clubs want to do.

well what you say it True

As is what I say 

I say what I say about the Event

you are explaining that NOSA is not hosting the fragremented events that I say Hurts the Over-All-Event

OK

But the other Parties devided by Class  (be it just a YC party for that Class) abound

I am most frustrated by BYC not hosting "The Party"

I had planned to attend with a BYC member and we were looking forward to it

Ya they will still have a party as will BCYC = Good People, Good Food BUT Not the Energy or Opportunities of a Mega N2E Party right where the Race Boats are staged

:-(

Image may contain: 3 people, crowd and outdoor

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Image may contain: 3 people, crowd and outdoor

fun year. i was 9 . running around town blowing off M80's and buying horseshit cigarettes , it was a great place to be. that courtyard  looked so big back then.

I am looking forward to this year's race. We have a good group of people, the boat is ready.  Ideal conditions for us to win, aboard Horizon, is a constant 10-13 knots with a big hole in Ensenada Bay for us sail up the Maxi boats before they finish. That's all!

• Like 2

oh sheesh wood's...find some new material. I'm still getting over Aerosmith not being the best closing song at the dance but I don't whine about it, constantly, ever year, year after year after year

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sumpin said:

oh sheesh wood's...find some new material. I'm still getting over Aerosmith not being the best closing song at the dance but I don't whine about it, constantly, ever year, year after year after year

you still whining about whining on the interwebz

You should be at the Klub @ the ready to be Opened 

so witty...why don't you search that web thing for "1986" , it's looking for you

Only 18 boats in the N 2 SD race is pretty sad.
Maybe making it an inshore instead of Coastal would have boosted entries?

21 cruisers in the N 2 DP.

about 145 in the N 2 E

Looks like weather will be good.

Trying to let family know about the YB tracking.  No link on nosa.org.  Race doesn't show up in Yellowbrick app or on-line.

Big fee increase to cover the tracking.  Just can't actually see it yet.

21 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Yeah, but I don't know how you can justify that given the definition of Nearshore: "primarily sailed during the day, close to shore, in relatively protected waters". I think the rhumb line is too far out to be called close to shore or protected, and at 60 miles rated distance it's unlikely many entries would get in before dark.

I suppose they could have waived a few more Coastal SERs that people considered too onerous. But then what happens if someone has an incident that could have been mitigated by an SER that was waived? How would NOSA explain that?

On 4/24/2018 at 11:00 AM, Meat Wad said:

Looks like weather will be good.

23 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

Yeah, but I don't know how you can justify that given the definition of Nearshore: "primarily sailed during the day, close to shore, in relatively protected waters". I think the rhumb line is too far out to be called close to shore or protected, and at 60 miles rated distance it's unlikely many entries would get in before dark.

I suppose they could have waived a few more Coastal SERs that people considered too onerous. But then what happens if someone has an incident that could have been mitigated by an SER that was waived? How would NOSA explain that?

You cannot legislate safety.
In fact I think through the legislation, our nanny state has made people think they are safe because of the Items and Tech we require them to have.

I remember way way back when the N2E was consistently over 300 entries and at it max was 604.
Navigation equipment we had on board:

• Knot meter
  • Radio Direction Finder
  • Chard with the needed devices to plot courses
  • Log book and Calculator.
  • No depth required because as we approached shore, we looked at the chart and knew where we were.

Safety Equipment on board

• VHF
  • Life Jackets, I do not remember whistles
  • Sevylor raft, these were pretty crappy back then.
  • water proof flashlights
  • MOB equip, with strobe
  • Flare gun
  • Anchor with adequate chain and rode.

We had to rely on ourselves, not some Nanny Laws and Regulations.
I do not remember hearing about people running into the Coronado and dying. They probably never even looked at a real Chart because they had a Chart Plotter and most likely did not know how to use it properly

In the 23 times I have done the N2E and many many SB2KH races since the early 70's to the late 90's we only had the basics and that was all we needed because we relied on our knowledge and discretion.

How many boats even use a log book to record the Time and Speed to calculate distance and then plot positions on a chart? You cannot beat Dead Reckoning and Triangulation when your tech fails.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:27 AM, Meat Wad said:

You cannot legislate safety.
In fact I think through the legislation, our nanny state has made people think they are safe because of the Items and Tech we require them to have.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think most of what passes for "safety" regulations these days is more about limiting liability than it is about actually preventing mishaps.

• Like 1

N2SD was awesome finished a little after 8 home by 9:30.  Took home fastest elapsed for this race for the second time in 3 years.  Trading back and forth with Mighty Merloe the past 4 years. Finished overlapped with a fast little tri

17 hours ago, fan said:

N2SD was awesome finished a little after 8 home by 9:30.  Took home fastest elapsed for this race for the second time in 3 years.  Trading back and forth with Mighty Merloe the past 4 years. Finished overlapped with a fast little tri

A friend of mine was on "Mental Floss", that might have been them as he said they was right up there.

7 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

A friend of mine was on "Mental Floss", that might have been them as he said they was right up there.

It was them.