Sign in to follow this  
Editor

Peterson 38 Dust 'Em

Anybody know where it is or if the boat is even still alive? Any pics if so?

8 hours ago, Editor said:

hey man fuck off

thank you

that was annoying

Well Ed has gone old and slow now he is thinking about going old, fat (IOR) and slow.

naw, love the 33! just curious as hell about that boat. if i was going to buy a peterson boat, it would unquestionably be this kiwi 37.

accord.jpg

Love the 37, Mr. Peterson sure knew how to design a boat! 

Havent seen it in years-didnt it sit neglected in a slip at SDYC for years?   Beautiful boat.  Had a nasty protest with them at LB Race Week back in the day.  We got a DSQ, loaded the boat up with flight attendants next day

yeah i think it did. fuckin thing was a light air rocket and one of his prettiest boats ever. flight attendants? like your style bro!

The Peterson 40 originally "Flambouyant" for Barney Flam is a serious light-air rocket. It is currently named Charisma and is hanging off a mooring near Balboa YC in Newport Beach. Aluminum hull with wood decks. Zero usable sails. Needs some refurb. Could probably be had for a song. Current owner unwilling to put any money into it. Unfortunately it was converted from tiller to wheel.

I was crewing on a Chance 33 back when Dust'Em "came out". With our narrow beam and good sized rig we thought we were pretty good going downwind in the light air and slop but that boat just rolled us on the first triangle and kept going. I think the Bruce Nelson 37, Renegade could take her measure when the breeze picked up but Dust'Em was off the charts in the light. Until then I never thought a fractional rig would work that well downwind. 

flamboyant! what a fuckin rocket! we won the hot rum overall with that thing one year. a wheel????? with no sails, free is too much for that thing...

2 hours ago, Editor said:

flamboyant! what a fuckin rocket! we won the hot rum overall with that thing one year. a wheel????? with no sails, free is too much for that thing...

That's the sister to Forte, Carl had that hull in build for a Mexican just after Forte was finished, who then defaulted, so the hull hung around for a while, and Barney walked in and bought the hull and Carl finished it off.  

No Idea where Dust Em! is now.  I surveyed the boat waaay back in like '90, '91. It got donated to Orange Coast. A bit of mess back then, but good bones. Would love to see that one back on a course somewhere.

1 hour ago, PeterHuston said:

That's the sister to Forte, Carl had that hull in build for a Mexican just after Forte was finished, who then defaulted, so the hull hung around for a while, and Barney walked in and bought the hull and Carl finished it off.  

interesting. amazing how after so many years later, doug, myself and our posse could get on that thing and it was still just plain-ass quick. i would love to have the resources to get that thing going again. anybody have any good pics of flamboyant?

Dust 'Em was a Geraghty Marine boat. She was not a sister to Forte. Not sure who commissioned her, but DC owned her in ~1981. 

The wood sister to Forte was High Noon - also a Geraghty Marine boat.

Forte seemed a notch quicker than High Noon, though lost on style points.

5 minutes ago, thornapple said:

Dust 'Em was a Geraghty Marine boat. She was not a sister to Forte. Not sure who commissioned her, but DC owned her in ~1981. 

Chuck Hope owned Dust 'em initially,  He was SDYC Comm in '80.  I sailed with Eichenlaub all that year on Cadenza, and DC frequently drove Dust 'em.  

6 hours ago, Editor said:

naw, love the 33! just curious as hell about that boat. if i was going to buy a peterson boat, it would unquestionably be this kiwi 37.

accord.jpg

That's puuurty. Glad you are enjoying the 33. (I have inboard envy.)

22 minutes ago, thornapple said:

She was not a sister to Forte.

I think he was saying Flambouyant was a sister to Forte.  Not Dust 'Em.

1 hour ago, thornapple said:

Wasn't Irrational the sister to High Noon?

57 minutes ago, See Level said:

Wasn't Irrational the sister to High Noon?

Forte was renamed Irrational when Jaren bought her.

2 hours ago, PeterHuston said:

Chuck Hope owned Dust 'em initially,  He was SDYC Comm in '80.  I sailed with Eichenlaub all that year on Cadenza, and DC frequently drove Dust 'em.  

doug was was funny asking carl if he had enough batteries in the tv at the start line of the enchilada race in pacific high .

1 hour ago, AlR said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.

5 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

you can tell the age of this crowd by all the nostalgia.

Get off my lawn!   <lol>

28 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

you can tell the age of this crowd by all the nostalgia.

Shouldn't you be out hashtagging something.

Actually, I'm not really sure what that means, but it sounds like it should be a good comeback.

16 hours ago, AlR said:

Doublehanded Irrational with a friend who had just bought her in the 95 Transpac. Was a wild trip!

23 hours ago, sledracr said:

Get off my lawn!   <lol>

22 hours ago, See Level said:

Shouldn't you be out hashtagging something.

Actually, I'm not really sure what that means, but it sounds like it should be a good comeback.

You guys are too funny, I'll be 60 in a few months and lived the IOR period too.
Glad it's gone.

On this day after Thanksgiving,  I am thankful for Doug,s 43 "La Pantera", the prototype for the Serendipity 43  She got us through the fastnet unharmed!

6 hours ago, Rejected said:

living it is not the same as paying for it Wad........what died with the IOR  was the designer guild.......Peterson among them.

Are you saying some could only design to a rule?
Very doubtful.

No he's saying that designers controlled the rule so you needed a new design every year to keep up.

It was an exciting time - looking forward to what would show up at SORC. The Bay Area has never since such a good fleet of competitive boats since. It would probably be better racing than today's assorted misfits if they all showed up today some 30 years later!

In the 70's the February issue of Sail mag was the best mag of the year - half full of articles and design analyses of the new SORC boats. I'd study them for hours dreaming about being able to participate.

By the time I had the money the fuckers had done away with the IOR.  :angry:

39 minutes ago, Nick G said:

It would probably be better racing than today's assorted misfits if they all showed up today some 30 years later!

+1

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No he's saying that designers controlled the rule so you needed a new design every year to keep up.

Mostly true that design obsolescence required a new design - especially for events like AC and SORC.

For the Ton cups, often the expected conditions of the venue required it. 

10 hours ago, Nick G said:

It was an exciting time - looking forward to what would show up at SORC. The Bay Area has never since such a good fleet of competitive boats since. It would probably be better racing than today's assorted misfits if they all showed up today some 30 years later!

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

In the 70's the February issue of Sail mag was the best mag of the year - half full of articles and design analyses of the new SORC boats. I'd study them for hours dreaming about being able to participate.

By the time I had the money the fuckers had done away with the IOR.  :angry:

^^^^^ and this ^^^^^

Sailing World also would have pages devoted to the new builds - designer, builder, construction materials, sailmaker and who was driving/tactics/naviguessing, etc.

Very exciting time to be an armchair sailor!

Still love the Peterson 37 I had sold a few years ago.  Great all around boat and pretty.   I would put the competitiveness of the old IOR days against any big boat sailing going on now, especially at the club level.

21 hours ago, J28 said:

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

^^^^^ and this ^^^^^

Sailing World also would have pages devoted to the new builds - designer, builder, construction materials, sailmaker and who was driving/tactics/naviguessing, etc.

Very exciting time to be an armchair sailor!

Same here, then we would go over to St. Pete and Clearwater to see the boats being prepped, then to the old (now gone) pier to watch the start of the St. Pete - Ft. Lauderdale race.

On 22/11/2017 at 3:21 PM, casc27 said:

Tired of the 33 already?

You beat me to it. :D

On 24/11/2017 at 4:23 PM, Meat Wad said:

You guys are too funny, I'll be 60 in a few months and lived the IOR period too.
Glad it's gone.

But it was a great time for sailing, boatbuilders and sailmakers. 

The turn out for Admirals Cup trials was amazing. Showing my age a little. 

Along with SORC and Kenwood Cup events. 

On 11/21/2017 at 6:09 PM, Editor said:

Anybody know where it is or if the boat is even still alive? Any pics if so?

There was a thread on Dust 'em here years ago showing pics of it being converted to a liveaboard with a ply house added. A real shame.

I drove Doug's frac Flamboyant in Yachting Cup once and it was an upwind rocket. I'm pretty sure it was a wood boat.

-Snap 

51 minutes ago, Snapper said:

I drove Doug's frac Flamboyant in Yachting Cup once and it was an upwind rocket. I'm pretty sure it was a wood boat.

-Snap 

Aluminum hull, plywood deck.

• Like 2