• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
serioladumerili

Same hose for manual and electric bilge pump?

Maybe this is dumb question...

My boat has just a manual bilge pump. I don't want to make new hole (if not really necessary) for new drain, so is it possible to connect new pump to existing drain hose? Do I have to connect after the manual Jabsco pump or it is possible with valves on the suction side?

The manual pump outlet is often higher than the auto outlet.   The auto has to work harder to pump up to a elevation, so is that a concern?

How do you prevent backflow of one pump through the other? Do both have check/flapper valves built in? Most centrifugal "Rule" type ones do not.

35 minutes ago, Zonker said:

How do you prevent backflow of one pump through the other? Do both have check/flapper valves built in? Most centrifugal "Rule" type ones do not.

I can install an "inline" valve to prevent backflow. I don't know if the manual pump will permit flow started by electric pump.

Inline valves i.e. check valves are a bad idea on bilge pump outlets even if both pumps have a good strainer. They get clogged with shit, and the bronze ones stick in place. 

Swing checks must be mounted horizontally, lift checks use a spring. Both impose extra head on the pump, reducing performance. 

It's far better practice to just run another hose to it's own outlet

Or have the two hoses join at the thru hull. If both are sloping down (which they should be) they can't backflow.

My boat has had this setup since new and it works ok. The electric pump connects after the manual pump and is connected in such a way that the pipe from the electric pump is about 6 inches above the manual pump which seems to prevent backflow when activating the manual pump.

We have a Y valve just before the transom outlet.

works automatically, not sure of he make, I assume it is just a flap valve.

I check the pumps now and then, so it works ...

I'm looking at doing the same but was going to put a 3 way valve on the intake side of both pumps.  That way I can choose and there is no worries about backflow and/or check valves.

If the small capacity electric (that I want to install to keep nuisance water (like from the mast)) fails, I can revert to the manual if need be.  There is a large capacity manual in the cockpit.

Using a common outlet fitting is not unreasonable.

Using a common hose might not be a good idea, as a hose or pump or valve failure on the lift side takes out both pumps. 

Think about putting teeing the two hoses at the outlet fitting's seacock and putting a vacuum breaker on the automatic one unless it's above water  at all heel angles

My concern about joining two pumps at any point for water egress is compromising either/both pump(s) when both are running in an emergency situation.  

13 hours ago, sail69 said:

My concern about joining two pumps at any point for water egress is compromising either/both pump(s) when both are running in an emergency situation.  

Agree,  piping needs to sized accordingly.  Remember also that where two say 1" discharges meet the combined size is not a 2"equivalent. 

run two hoses. its the only intelligent solution. I've tried making this work because it seems so much easier to have less holes and hoses in the boat. I now have more hoses and holes. 

You can run the 2 pumps into the 1 outlet. There are a few things that you will need to do help The pumps work at better and increase the out put. 

1 - make the outlet the maximum size for the biggest pump e.g if you are running a 1” hose and the pump can take a 1 1/2” hose you need to change it to the bigger size skin fitting and hose. When fitting a new pump you should always fit the biggest skin fitting and hose as possible.

2 - fit a Y fitting as close to the outlet as possible. Fit a non return valve next to the Y fitting. Note if you fit the non return valve next to the pump and a few feet from the outlet the pump will not be able to push the water in the hose and open the valve. 

3 - always fit a loop in the hose above the outlet wear possible as it stops the water following back into the boat. 

Pulpit 

On 11/29/2017 at 8:10 AM, sail69 said:

Can you pump out more water with a manual bilge pump or a bucket?