Peanut Butter

Ridiculously Overpriced Boats

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Don's a great guy (when I knew him long ago) and the boat has been a "learning boat" since the mid 70s.  I can't recall her ever being particularly competitive but she is a grand old dame nonetheless!

 

Don's an absolute legend! I hear he's still kicking around KYC but sails alot less these days due to his age.

Thanks for the history - its a cool story of an iconic boat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed with John Odenbach Sr. With and against John, Fritzy and Gardy. Have never sailed with a finer family. Great corinthians. Of course Lou kept them all in line.

Lioness, i think we travelled the same road. Remember George Sibley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 8:59 PM, slap said:

Only off by a factor of 2 or 3.

Somewhere in there. Ran across an Irwin 42 of similar vintage for sale by the original owner yesterday. Looks nice. Half the price of that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 4:48 PM, 12 metre said:

True, but my comments were with regard to the C&C 43 in question

The  boat you are referring to would be the Redline 41 "Red Jacket" which won 1967 SORC and is allegedly the first cored boat built.  She was designed by C&C, but predates C&C Yachts.

Red Jacket may be able to sell for a premium because of her historical significance, but the same could not be said for other Redline 41s.  There is a very nice one advertised in West Van right with an asking price of about $80k

Some IOR boats that IMO might sell for a substantial premium because of their historical significance (provided they are in excellent condition) include: Ganbare, Magic Bus, and Imp.

I might even include Terrorist in that group because of her revolutionary design -which was quickly banned.  Okay, not banned, but heavily penalized.  She was laying falling apart in a yard in Port Townsend a few years ago until someone in Texas bought her and did a wonderful restoration job on her.  I think they even kept her infamous bilge boards.

terr7 best.JPG

Terrorist.jpg

Terrorist_Aug 14_2.jpg

Aug 13_2.jpg

Why the fuck anyone would waste money on an ugly POS like that is beyond me. Recently our council spent a kings ransom restoring a substation built in 1956 because it was a 'historically significant building'. The Architect (my father) said no it wasn't  - it was a industrial brick box built to house electrical equipment. He suggested they bulldoze it and built an attractive building. That boat is ugly as fuck, would be a shit of a thing to steer and the deck layout is just plain awful. Still its his money and he can piss it up against any wall he wishes. Pity he didn't at least get someone with half a clue to choose the paintwork and the sign writing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, Steam Flyer said:

That is awesome. Looks like a beautiful restoration along with suitable updates/upgrades thrown in.

Any chance you could get me an ounce of what you are smoking?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB - you realize that Terrorist was designed by Bruce King don't you?

Calling one of his boats ugly is hubris of the first magnitude.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could understand the cockpit layout if it had a traveler, I can’t stand split cockpits...but I can appreciate the tumblehome...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

LB - you realize that Terrorist was designed by Bruce King don't you?

Calling one of his boats ugly is hubris of the first magnitude.

Even Charlize Theron takes an occasional dump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

That boat is ugly as fuck, would be a shit of a thing to steer and the deck layout is just plain awful. Still its his money and he can piss it up against any wall he wishes. Pity he didn't at least get someone with half a clue to choose the paintwork and the sign writing. 

The paint scheme and lettering is matched how it was originally painted in the 70's, it is a restoration after all. Might not be fashionable today, but i think it looks great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Looper said:

This.

Don't see it. Given that laser have a monopoly product and captive customer base their prices don't seem ridiculous to me... High, arguably, but not ridiculously so.

 Anyway, your post misses the point of the class. You are not paying for the boat. 

Cheers, 

               W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I could understand the cockpit layout if it had a traveler, I can’t stand split cockpits...but I can appreciate the tumblehome...

As I posted earlier, I believe it does have a traveller - their looks to be a mounting surface for a curved track on the front face of the partition maybe 8" below the top of the coaming.  I  can't imagine any top level 1T not having one.

Topsides_stern.jpg.4d6a8af6ca0d6d474d777f75650b71c8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why the fuck anyone would waste money on an ugly POS like that is beyond me. Recently our council spent a kings ransom restoring a substation built in 1956 because it was a 'historically significant building'. The Architect (my father) said no it wasn't  - it was a industrial brick box built to house electrical equipment. He suggested they bulldoze it and built an attractive building. That boat is ugly as fuck, would be a shit of a thing to steer and the deck layout is just plain awful. Still its his money and he can piss it up against any wall he wishes. Pity he didn't at least get someone with half a clue to choose the paintwork and the sign writing. 

As one of your famous compatriots once said "the fastest boat is the most beautiful".

That Terrorist was acknowledged as the fastest boat at the '74 OTC (only a dismasting prevented her from winning) gives lie to the statement that she is an "ugly POS"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand why someone would spend a fortune restoring a truly beautiful classic like Dorade or Stormy weather - even a swan from that era. Those boats are timeless. Put one of them next to that fugly Pos and see what I mean. That boat represents the worst of the terrible design features of that era - cheese cutter stern, transom hung rudder, 45 degree stem rake and a truly awful deck layout. It's like restoring an Leyland P76 (australias equivalent to the Edsel). Still it's his coin so his to spend on what ever he wants.  Fast? It's all relative of course but didn't someone say it was banned?  And it would have won some series if it hadn't dropped its rig? Well if my Aunt had Balls she would be my uncle. 

BTW it Looks a lot like Ceil III and Rampage - Bob millers Hobart winners (from 73 and 75 IIRC) they are still butt ugly as well. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to say it LB but your taste is all in your mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sorry to say it LB but your taste is all in your mouth.

Each to their own mate. Regardless of what I think I am sure the boat brings the owner great pleasure and that after all, are what boats are for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

As I posted earlier, I believe it does have a traveller - their looks to be a mounting surface for a curved track on the front face of the partition maybe 8" below the top of the coaming.  I  can't imagine any top level 1T not having one.

Topsides_stern.jpg.4d6a8af6ca0d6d474d777f75650b71c8.jpg

I’ll say you’re both right and wrong. Take a look at the photo of Terrorist in the photo of her sailing. There’s a track visible that isn’t shown in the photo at the dock. Not recessed though, but up top. I’m guessing that dock photo was part way through the restoration, with a temporary padeye. 

Edit: I’m dumb. Just realized the boat’s still white when it has a visible traveler. Maybe the new owner is big on Vang sheeting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’ll say you’re both right and wrong. Take a look at the photo of Terrorist in the photo of her sailing. There’s a track visible that isn’t shown in the photo at the dock. Not recessed though, but up top. I’m guessing that dock photo was part way through the restoration, with a temporary padeye. 

Edit: I’m dumb. Just realized the boat’s still white when it has a visible traveler. Maybe the new owner is big on Vang sheeting. 

Looks like it has a traveler in this pick.

5a1d0b3c46e6a_Terrorist_Aug14_2.jpg.7dcf7115ef64ec356e709bf3cc4784fe (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Looks like it has a traveler in this pick.

5a1d0b3c46e6a_Terrorist_Aug14_2.jpg.7dcf7115ef64ec356e709bf3cc4784fe (2).jpg

Yes, if you zoom in enough you can see the track bolts and kind of make out a car. The main trimmers back leg is angled forward a bit, resting on the angled structure I though might house the traveller (although it would have been a very awkward spot for one)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Looks like it has a traveler in this pick.

5a1d0b3c46e6a_Terrorist_Aug14_2.jpg.7dcf7115ef64ec356e709bf3cc4784fe (2).jpg

Thanks for posting that. I tried to do the same, but my phone wasn’t in the mood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hoping there is a traveller now, but the pic at the dock looks like a pad eye using the cockpit bulkhead as a Barney post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually looks like the traveller was removed and the aft winches moved back closer to the cockpit bulkhead if you look closely at the racing and berthed images. The paint job might be different too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That little fitting on top of the cockpit divider must be a temp thing, I can't imagine sheeting to it in anything over 5 knots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to side with Life Boat on this one: Terrorist is and was an ugly boat. The fact that it was semi-functional is not enough to make it pretty.

Al Cassel built it (for himself) in his Sparcraft mfg facility in Costa Mesa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I have to side with Life Boat on this one: Terrorist is and was an ugly boat. The fact that it was semi-functional is not enough to make it pretty.

Sounds like a candidate for Admiration.

If there really is a traveler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to sell my Tanzer 22 for more than it is worth, as in over priced. But they can be had for $2,000.00 most days. Some for less.

But I have about $4,000.00 of new sails. Better to keep it and sail in the odd regatta. Maybe the Swiftsure inshore race.

My regular boat is a Viking 33. One guy I heard of, spent around $70,000.00 on his. Figured it was better than any new boat he could find.

Unkle Crusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, Somebody Else said:

I have to side with Life Boat on this one: Terrorist is and was an ugly boat.

Have to (mildly) disagree.  Fast is beautiful.  And in its day, Terrorist was unquestionably fast.  So much so that they changed the rule in order to not make all the other designs obsolete.

Also a blast to sail.

Classic proportions and graceful lines?  No.  But Terrorist is beautiful in the same sense that a navy destroyer or a stealth fighter are beautiful.  Not sleek, not elegant, but designed to deliver an outcome as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unkle Crusty said:

Would be nice to sell my Tanzer 22 for more than it is worth, as in over priced. But they can be had for $2,000.00 most days. Some for less.

But I have about $4,000.00 of new sails. Better to keep it and sail in the odd regatta. Maybe the Swiftsure inshore race.

...didn't realize the Inshore Swifsure was held on a very small lake.  :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 3:45 PM, LB 15 said:

I can understand why someone would spend a fortune restoring a truly beautiful classic like Dorade or Stormy weather - even a swan from that era. Those boats are timeless. Put one of them next to that fugly Pos and see what I mean. That boat represents the worst of the terrible design features of that era - cheese cutter stern, transom hung rudder, 45 degree stem rake and a truly awful deck layout. It's like restoring an Leyland P76 (australias equivalent to the Edsel). Still it's his coin so his to spend on what ever he wants.  Fast? It's all relative of course but didn't someone say it was banned?  And it would have won some series if it hadn't dropped its rig? Well if my Aunt had Balls she would be my uncle. 

BTW it Looks a lot like Ceil III and Rampage - Bob millers Hobart winners (from 73 and 75 IIRC) they are still butt ugly as well. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I’m doing the wooden composite racer restoration myself right now. I’d like to race against Dorade and Stormy Weather to Bermuda. I understand your thinking...except The Auntie/Uncle thing. But I’ll think about it for a while and see if I can imagine Aunt Marge yelling about her balls dipping the bowl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...didn't realize the Inshore Swifsure was held on a very small lake.  :mellow:

The whole Salish Sea is just a big salt water lake with tides. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...didn't realize the Inshore Swifsure was held on a very small lake.  :mellow:

Which part of my message made you think it was on a very small lake?

Unkle Krusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 10:34 PM, Nirie said:

I sailed with John Odenbach Sr. With and against John, Fritzy and Gardy. Have never sailed with a finer family. Great corinthians. Of course Lou kept them all in line.

Lioness, i think we travelled the same road. Remember George Sibley?

“What cannon” George ? And the “boys from Cirrus” as well as Sill’s, Dodges, Stuart’s  et al.  

I tended bar at SBYC ‘75 & ‘76. Raced laser, Rboat #3 Vitesse with Drew Frech, and family’s Columbias. 

Lived at 22 Ontario Blvd in Hilton next to Odenbach compound in ‘60-64 (born ‘56) but remember Rampages from Labor Day races to SBYC and LyRA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Unkle Crusty said:

Which part of my message made you think it was on a very small lake?

Unkle Krusty

...there part where you said it's a Tanzer 22.  :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 2:05 PM, sledracr said:

Have to (mildly) disagree.  Fast is beautiful.  And in its day, Terrorist was unquestionably fast.  So much so that they changed the rule in order to not make all the other designs obsolete.

Also a blast to sail.

Classic proportions and graceful lines?  No.  But Terrorist is beautiful in the same sense that a navy destroyer or a stealth fighter are beautiful.  Not sleek, not elegant, but designed to deliver an outcome as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible.

Like saying a fat chick has a nice personality. Still, even fat chicks can find someone who desperately needs a ride. So if you like a bit of Tumblehome and ugly graphics here you go lads - knock yourself out.

 

 

 

 

bbw-model.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBW - one of those Bs is a lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GBeron said:

BBW - one of those Bs is a lie.

Women should not have man-boobs on their back

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect she'd be quite attractive if she lost about 200 300 Lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I suspect she'd be quite attractive if she lost about 200 300 500 Lbs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-28 at 12:26 PM, F'g Dinosaur said:

I remember Paul Phelan's  famous verbiage about the 1978 Canada's Cup building spree. Don Green's ideas for a breakthrough stripped out cupper  versus his attitude to build a fast yacht but a proper yacht .... "none of this high'tech throwaway vulgarity " . Different strokes for different folks. I believe Mia still sails whilst Evergreen was chainsawed.

I don't know about the ultimate fate of those two boats. Mia was sold to a Greek purchaser in 1978 and is not listed as active in the hull manufacturer's website. Evergreen was sold in 1981 and what happened next seems to be a mystery.

We do know that Evergreen convincingly and repeatedly beat Mia in the selection trials for the  '78 Canada's Cup. And of course Evergreen subsequently went on to triumph in the latter. But certain Mia is much more my idea of a 'proper' yacht.

Here's what Doug Hunter had to say in Against the Odds:

Quote

The campaigns of Mia VI and Evergreen are steeped in contrasts. Paul Phelan strove to build the proper yacht; Don Green revelled in the radicalism of carte blanche. Green's drive for the Canada's Cup was first and foremost a personal quest, albeit one which he was more than happy to allow his club to share in. It would be safe to say that the 1978 Canada's Cup had not been a goal of Paul Phelan until he realized that no one else from the RCYC was stepping forward to assume the weighty task of challenging for the prize. Phelan held great empathy for pride, honour and tradition. It was inconceivable to him for his club to let a Canada's Cup match slip by without fielding a contender. In shouldering this self-imposed burden, Phelan left himself exposed to the worst sort of disaster: the notion that he had let down over 130 years of greatness, hope and expectation.    

Evergreen_cover+-+Copy.jpg

On 2017-11-24 at 3:24 PM, Ozzy said:

The link no longer works. Is that the same boat that was recently donated to Broad Reach?

d0565ec3-b37e-46f5-a849-6a0e96915ef7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 2:44 PM, 12 metre said:

May have been interesting to have sailed it in 8 mR.  Remember that Valiant was a development of Intrepid and we know how well Valiant sailed.

In the few photos I've seen of Iroquois, she looks like a bit of a cross between Intrepid and Valiant.    Iroquois appears to have a long bow overhang and short stern overhang with a relatively steep counter angle - more in keeping with Valiant than Intrepid to my eye.

A lot of the metre boat designers went down the wrong path after Intrepid up until Courageous (and restored Intrepid) in 1974.

In the 6 mR fleet, it seems the concensus that boats built between 1967 and the mid 70's (Toogooloowoo V for example) were not has fast as their long keel predecessors.

Nice looking boat

Iroquois.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Svanen said:

The link no longer works. Is that the same boat that was recently donated to Broad Reach?

d0565ec3-b37e-46f5-a849-6a0e96915ef7.jpg

The boat in the ad was Jilasi. Was Jilasi donated to Broad Reach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Nice looking boat

Iroquois.jpg

 

 

That's a lovely boat, looks like a blast....... but I can't thinking that it'd be faster if they'd get their old asses up on the rail, design be damned

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 6:49 AM, Steam Flyer said:

That is awesome. Looks like a beautiful restoration along with suitable updates/upgrades thrown in.

New Orleans has a lot of shallow water, it would totally make sense to keep the bilgeboards.

Kudos to the owner(s) of Red Jacket also, that's a beautiful (and lucky) boat.

FB- Doug

the bilgeboards had been cut out and disposed of in an (unfinished) attempt to convert the boat into a keeled cruiser.  the boards and trunks had to be refabricated and reinstalled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, Monkey said:

Thanks for posting that. I tried to do the same, but my phone wasn’t in the mood. 

the traveler is on the partition separating the two cockpits.  the original pic in question shows the boat without a traveler.  waiting on parts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as for overpriced, the boat was purchased for the scrap price of 5k. 

19475660514_8512dd88ae_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, LB 15 said:

Like saying a fat chick has a nice personality. Still, even fat chicks can find someone who desperately needs a ride. So if you like a bit of Tumblehome and ugly graphics here you go lads - knock yourself out.

i'm curious to see examples of your work.  do you create?  or just tear down.

 

 

 

bbw-model.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 11:03 PM, LB 15 said:

Why the fuck anyone would waste money on an ugly POS like that is beyond me. Recently our council spent a kings ransom restoring a substation built in 1956 because it was a 'historically significant building'. The Architect (my father) said no it wasn't  - it was a industrial brick box built to house electrical equipment. He suggested they bulldoze it and built an attractive building. That boat is ugly as fuck, would be a shit of a thing to steer and the deck layout is just plain awful. Still its his money and he can piss it up against any wall he wishes. Pity he didn't at least get someone with half a clue to choose the paintwork and the sign writing. 

the owner did the work himself.  please send post pics of your boat when you get a chance

DSCN2771.JPG

DSCN2652.JPG

DSCN3742.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulrtullos said:

the owner did the work himself.  please send post pics of your boat when you get a chance

DSCN2771.JPG

DSCN2652.JPG

DSCN3742.JPG

I'm pretty stoked to see Terrorist resurrected.  Bruce King basically left the racing scene because of his treatment on that one.  Years later when he was one of my yacht design teachers he expressed anger still at the way he and his design were treated.  Looking at the way IMOCA boats and other very high performance boats are conceptualized now, King was way ahead of his time, even if he was also largely exploiting a shitty rule.  Terrorist looks different, but is not ugly.  Bruce King doesn't know how to do ugly.  Nice work!  The boat looks fantastic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 4:31 PM, Steam Flyer said:

That's a lovely boat, looks like a blast....... but I can't thinking that it'd be faster if they'd get their old asses up on the rail, design be damned

FB- Doug

They'd get their jeans wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, eliboat said:

I'm pretty stoked to see Terrorist resurrected. 

Me too.  I had occasion to race on the boat a bit, back in the day, and it was an absolute rocket.  5 degrees higher than a "normal boat" upwind, and downwind with the boards up it just scooted along, rolling like a ping-pong ball on a wobbly table. 

I remember thinking - back then - that it was exactly what the IOR was about: find the corners in the rule and exploit them to see what works and what doesn't.  Bruce King clearly found an interesting corner (both Terrorist and Hawkeye). it's a great shame that the creativity was crushed.  Not because they were a great direction for the mainstream to go, but because the goal was to get around the racecourse as fast as possible within the rule and the rating, and King accomplished that.

$.02

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 11:03 PM, LB 15 said:

Why the fuck anyone would waste money on an ugly POS like that is beyond me. Recently our council spent a kings ransom restoring a substation built in 1956 because it was a 'historically significant building'. The Architect (my father) said no it wasn't  - it was a industrial brick box built to house electrical equipment. He suggested they bulldoze it and built an attractive building. That boat is ugly as fuck, would be a shit of a thing to steer and the deck layout is just plain awful. Still its his money and he can piss it up against any wall he wishes. Pity he didn't at least get someone with half a clue to choose the paintwork and the sign writing. 

still waiting on your response, you dickless little nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paulrtullos said:

still waiting on your response, you dickless little nothing

Perhaps after nearly 14 months you might be getting the hint that I care what you think about me as much as I care about Girls Rugby league. Anyway, 'response' to what? Why do I think that boat looks as ugly as fuck? Because I think it looks as ugly as fuck. I hope that cleared that up for your my sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Perhaps after nearly 14 months you might be getting the hint that I care what you think about me as much as I care about Girls Rugby league. Anyway, 'response' to what? Why do I think that boat looks as ugly as fuck? Because I think it looks as ugly as fuck. I hope that cleared that up for your my sweet.

your taste is in your ass.   continue to swill diet pepsi in your mom's basement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulrtullos said:

your taste is in your ass.   continue to swill diet pepsi in your mom's basement. 

You know what his ass tastes like? Eeewww.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paulrtullos said:

your taste is in your ass.   continue to swill diet pepsi in your mom's basement. 

Thanks, I will. And you keep your eyes straight ahead and your arse to the wall. The last 3 years will fly by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Thanks, I will. And you keep your eyes straight ahead and your arse to the wall. The last 3 years will fly by.

unlike yourself, i have things to do out-of-doors that involve talent, technique and time.  posting on and keeping up with anonymous blogs holds no interest me. that is until someone as ignorant as yourself attacks my work and demonstrates without a doubt the you are truly a hack who would have great difficulty fabricating anything more involved than a birdhouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulrtullos said:

unlike yourself, i have things to do out-of-doors that involve talent, technique and time.  posting on and keeping up with anonymous blogs holds no interest me. that is until someone as ignorant as yourself attacks my work and demonstrates without a doubt the you are truly a hack who would have great difficulty fabricating anything more involved than a birdhouse.

Well aren’t you the clever one. Knock yourself out Paul. You are not the first person to think his POS is a work of art. One man’s treasure and all that. Just wondered why you waited over a year to pick this shitfight with me. 

Btw it is still as ugly as fuck IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paulrtullos said:

still waiting on your response, you dickless little nothing

 

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Perhaps after nearly 14 months you might be getting the hint that I care what you think about me as much as I care about Girls Rugby league. Anyway, 'response' to what? Why do I think that boat looks as ugly as fuck? Because I think it looks as ugly as fuck. I hope that cleared that up for your my sweet.

 

4 hours ago, paulrtullos said:

unlike yourself, i have things to do out-of-doors that involve talent, technique and time.  posting on and keeping up with anonymous blogs holds no interest me. that is until someone as ignorant as yourself attacks my work and demonstrates without a doubt the you are truly a hack who would have great difficulty fabricating anything more involved than a birdhouse.

But you had to come back and poke the hornets the nest! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 5:48 PM, 12 metre said:

 

 

Aug 13_2.jpg

looks like someone over inflated an Adams 10

 

 

DSC07106_(Custom).JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Well aren’t you the clever one. Knock yourself out Paul. You are not the first person to think his POS is a work of art. One man’s treasure and all that. Just wondered why you waited over a year to pick this shitfight with me. 

Btw it is still as ugly as fuck IMO. 

i just responded because i just now read it, you pathetic little waste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I think, in the present day, calling a boat "terrorist" is in rather bad taste.

 

Yeah, I thought of that too.

Some things just don't translate well

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 9:45 AM, comcrudesgru8 said:

Rampage was at RCYC  last i looked,   still called Rampage and painted white and well kept.   Owned by Randy Bell  I believe  who i think at one time worked for C&C Custom.   Maybe not.   Someone would know.     Beautiful boat totally unrestored  and well sailed.     Odenbach JR  has a modern condo style boat and has not exhibited any interest in nostalgia when at RCYC.    Some do and some don't .    I think he sees boats as just appliances with no soul  or historical significance.   Sad,   as the family has money and could make a statement of historical signifcance if they so chose.

The same Randy Bell who did the 99  Transpac on Endevor III a C&C 41.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Btw it is still as ugly as fuck IMO. 

Bruce King never designed an ugly boat.

Terrorist is brutal looking and a bit odd since it was a rule beater but it isn't ugly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulrtullos said:

i just responded because i just now read it, you pathetic little waste

Now, now Paula, if you get nasty when you drink you should stay off it. Go be the happy boat owner, don’t waste your time on here defending your right to pour your hard earned shillings into that ugly old POS. If it makes you happy then it was money well wasted. 

You really should work on your personal skills  cupcake. You could offend the wrong person with that attitude. Happily around here we are more tolerant of both rude or stupid cunts. Even when they are both like you.

ps: your boat is an ugly POS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB, we get it, you don't like it. I do, have seen the boat on the water and some of that is because it's different. I also admire anyone who goes to such lengths to make something old new again. 

Got to be some other axes need grinding somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 4:03 PM, paulrtullos said:

DSCN3742.JPG

 Is that really a fire extinguisher there by the companionway ? ! ? !   :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the most complex and over-built two-step ladder I have ever seen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

 Is that really a fire extinguisher there by the companionway ? ! ? !   :lol:

Heck yeah. Aluminum burns, dincha know dat?

Of course one bitty fire extinguisher isn't going to be much help

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Paulr, great looking resto of an awesome One Ton.  I saw Terrorist in Port Townsend back in 2009 or so.  Didn't realize it was her, thought it may have been some unknown sistership.  I thought about finding out if she was for sale, but quickly gave up since I didn't have the $ or skills to redo her properly.  Glad it was you who found her.  Some people may consider her ugly (I am not one of them), but a POS she was not.

Couple of questions. 

1. In her original config, there were nacelles (for lack of a better term) sprouting from the deck around the mast for the bilgeboards.  These are evident in the photo and sectional drawing below.  I don't see them in the newer photos.  Were these discarded to allow for shorter boards or were they fitted at a later date (like the traveller)?

2.  the RB Sailing blog mentions the new owner was looking at fitting twin rudders.  In the recent photos it looks like you have retained the single outboard rudder.  I hope you keep it that way.

http://rbsailing.blogspot.com/2012/10/featured-yacht-terrorist.html

Terrorist - reaching.jpg

Terrorist section.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, eliboat said:

I'm pretty stoked to see Terrorist resurrected.  Bruce King basically left the racing scene because of his treatment on that one.  Years later when he was one of my yacht design teachers he expressed anger still at the way he and his design were treated.  Looking at the way IMOCA boats and other very high performance boats are conceptualized now, King was way ahead of his time, even if he was also largely exploiting a shitty rule.  Terrorist looks different, but is not ugly.  Bruce King doesn't know how to do ugly.  Nice work!  The boat looks fantastic.

Amazing project. Beautiful workmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that considered cleaving the water or bludgeoning the water?

 

1639854613_Terrorist-reaching.jpg.b2f00a8306d98d442b961c0aecf50913.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 3:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Nice looking boat

Iroquois.jpg

 

 

I'm puzzled over who is driving the boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

I'm puzzled over who is driving the boat?

 

Middle guy on the high side in red.  Must be a tiller and extension hidden behind the middle guy in the lower group...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Middle guy on the high side in red.  Must be a tiller and extension hidden behind the middle guy in the lower group...

Red shirt aft has tiller extension in his hand. I have x-ray vision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites