• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
2savage

5000+ hours, 18,000+ miles, no credentials

I started sailing when I was 5 years old.  I'm now 62.  But I never did any formal training.  There's nothing I cannot do on a boat, including mechanics, electronics etc.  With half a dozen Bermuda trips, Key West and back (3 times) and a plethora of other adventures, deliveries, YRALIS racing etc.I have yet to secure ANY sort of actual credentials like YRA Yacht Master Captains license.  And, I've been here 32 years in USA but still not a Citizen.   Now I want to run charters.  What is the best plan?

You probably should get a USCG 6-pack license (GT < 100T, 6 passengers), this is what most charter operators get for small craft. There are courses you can take to get it (check online, there are a number of courses out there). You need a TWIC card as well and a med cert. The 6-pack may only require Permanent Resident status to get (all the other creds require US Citizenship). The 6-pack can be endorsed for sailing vessels. 

Skills do not matter. :-)

Citizenship does somewhat, passing an exam does, documented sea-time does. 

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/National-Maritime-Center-NMC/Charter-Boat-Captain/

Mark.

6 hours ago, Infinity+1 said:

You probably should get a USCG 6-pack license

I thought you weren't allowed to drink and sail over there...

12 minutes ago, Je Prefere said:

Iirc you can just present documentation of sea time, and take the 6 pack test, no need to take a course.

Without the course you probably won't pass the test. The USCG test is a bit strange and without a lot of prep (could be just getting a good course book) specific to the USCG wording you will probably fail.  Down load a ColRegs program and run through over and over until you can answer all the questions (lights, shapes, inland vs. international rules, etc.) without missing a beat. Then a OUPV study book or take a course.  Best of luck.

Well, since you're not a US citizen you can get a license but it will be limited to vessels of 5 ton or less.  And you must be legal to work in the US.

The citizenship requirement seems odd to me, as a green card holder one seems to be able to everything that a citizen can except vote and get a USCG 6 pack.

BS on passing the 6-pack test without taking a course. Sure there are some odd questions but if you have any real boating experience and just study up on lights in particular you should do fine. The Sail Addendum test that the CG gives used to have some real doozies for questions that were obviously made up by someone with no real world sailing experience. I protested a couple of them and won.

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

BS on passing the 6-pack test without taking a course. Sure there are some odd questions but if you have any real boating experience and just study up on lights in particular you should do fine. The Sail Addendum test that the CG gives used to have some real doozies for questions that were obviously made up by someone with no real world sailing experience. I protested a couple of them and won.

Boating experience has little to do with the questions on the USCG test (IMHO). A good study guide will help and probably work but as I said before concentrate on the Rules and signals as well as navigation, that is what trips up most people.

21 hours ago, morwood said:

Skills do not matter. :-)

Citizenship does somewhat, passing an exam does, documented sea-time does. 

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/National-Maritime-Center-NMC/Charter-Boat-Captain/

Mark.

This---at least for license part.

Having the skills makes life easier after the paperwork is out of the way.

13 hours ago, V21 said:

The citizenship requirement seems odd to me, as a green card holder one seems to be able to everything that a citizen can except vote and get a USCG 6 pack.

or be owner of a USCG documented boat.

One of the things you may do with your initial application is document all previous sea time and use it to beef up your experience for the USCG evaluators.  You can use experience back to when last license was issued for subsequent renewals.  The requirements for the currency of experience required by the USCG are not helped with the historical experience.  I was able to provide documentation of my USN experience as Officer of the Deck on ships (submarines)  much greater than 100 tons using fitness reports and awards as the USCG will not accept a DD214 as documentation of experience.  This allowed me to demonstrate experience and the USCG granting me the 100 ton license, rather than a 25 ton they would have granted without the extra documented experience.  Ironically I was qualified for the supervision, operation and maintenance of a Nuclear Power Plant so the USCG evaluator added some additional engineering endorsements that I would not have obtained without the additional documentation.

I have accumulated my sea experience over 45 years with formal navigation, piloting and celestial courses in the early 1970s.  I took a course we arranged as a winter activity for members of our yacht club with 14 other people.  Most obtained their OUPV (Six Pack), but a few of us did the additional lessons to upgrade to Masters.  The advantage of taking a course with a USCG authorized school / instructor is you do not need to travel to a USCG exam center to take the test.  Our instructor was excellent at being able to work with students at all levels and keep the course interesting.  For me it was a reinforcement of stuff I learned over 40 years.  Without a significant time spent to get current on all the rules, lights, etc., I would not have passed.  My wife also took the course with little experience.  She was able to pass the OUPV test, but is not applying for the license.  At least she now knows how to read a chart, plot and understand the COLREGS.

16 hours ago, sailronin said:

Boating experience has little to do with the questions on the USCG test (IMHO). A good study guide will help and probably work but as I said before concentrate on the Rules and signals as well as navigation, that is what trips up most people.

When I took the course for 100 ton USCG ticket in the 80's the instructor said there would be trick questions, like: "Why is your Port running light green; the lens or the bulb?"  Five years after I got the ticket, I received a renewal form in the mail.  5 years later in '95, I did not receive a renewal and it expired, without my even knowing, as I was busy being a working landlubber raising a family.....

16 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

When I took the course for 100 ton USCG ticket in the 80's the instructor said there would be trick questions, like: "Why is your Port running light green; the lens or the bulb?"  Five years after I got the ticket, I received a renewal form in the mail.  5 years later in '95, I did not receive a renewal and it expired, without my even knowing, as I was busy being a working landlubber raising a family.....

Took the test in 83 and passed with no course.  Was told I would fail.  Blah-Blah.  You will need to take it three times.  Blah-Blah.   Like any big test (Bar, Boards, Securities licenses) these test are written by dweebs trying to trip people up on words and not substance.  Get a good test book and understand the Dweebs point of view and you should be fine.  I believe the first section is still lights etc which needs a 90% to move on.   That trips up most folks so spend an inordinate amount of time there.

Was in law school 5 years later and never received a renewal on that 75 ton Ocean Operators.  Bummer until later in life I realized i didn't want the liability of the license while out there as an amateur. 

Good luck

On 11/25/2017 at 1:14 PM, 2savage said:

I started sailing when I was 5 years old.  I'm now 62.  But I never did any formal training.  There's nothing I cannot do on a boat, including mechanics, electronics etc.  With half a dozen Bermuda trips, Key West and back (3 times) and a plethora of other adventures, deliveries, YRALIS racing etc.I have yet to secure ANY sort of actual credentials like YRA Yacht Master Captains license.  And, I've been here 32 years in USA but still not a Citizen.   Now I want to run charters.  What is the best plan?

5000+ hours, 18,000+ miles, no credentials and No Clue

4 hours ago, jesposito said:

"plethora of other adventures, deliveries, YRALIS racing etc."  

Seems as though there's a clue after all. 

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, bgytr said:

Is there some reason that after 32 yrs you haven't gotten citizenship? 

Why do you ask?

4 minutes ago, 2savage said:

Why do you ask?

He's trolling you.......EDIT....And you took the bait!!

21 hours ago, jesposito said:

Oh John.  Yet another 'Espo is a Dick' example.  Why do you persist with this rhetoric of abusing people online for no apparent reason and no basis for your jibes?

So, I have no clue?  I have no ability to win a yacht race?  I can't build a race car and win an International Car Race?  I can't earn enough money to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo?  I can't amass a seven figure net worth?  I'm really so clueless?  Well, unlike you,  I know how to behave in polite company, refrain from online infamy and I speak the truth. So go look in the mirror and ask yourself  "do I have a clue?". 

There is no place in this world for nasty inflammatory comments that are undeserved, serve no purpose and are insulting to people you know (and are indeed fellow club members). 

Are you man enough to post an online apology?

Alan Townsley.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

He's trolling you.......EDIT....And you took the bait!!

Actually no.   Taking the bait would be providing an answer, not asking another question.

35 minutes ago, 2savage said:

Oh John.  Yet another 'Espo is a Dick' example.  Why do you persist with this rhetoric of abusing people online for no apparent reason and no basis for your jibes?

So, I have no clue?  I have no ability to win a yacht race?  I can't build a race car and win an International Car Race?  I can't earn enough money to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo?  I can't amass a seven figure net worth?  I'm really so clueless?  Well, unlike you,  I know how to behave in polite company, refrain from online infamy and I speak the truth. So go look in the mirror and ask yourself  "do I have a clue?". 

There is no place in this world for nasty inflammatory comments that are undeserved, serve no purpose and are insulting to people you know (and are indeed fellow club members). 

Alan Townsley.

Good thing the Mrs. has a good job;)

6 minutes ago, r.finn said:

18,000/5,000 = 3.6 knots   Rimas' Charters has a nice ring to it.

LOL!!  Maybe he clocked time standing anchor watch??

2 hours ago, 2savage said:

Alan Townsley.

Espo the Dick, trolls with better bait than that other poster!  Hooked a live and large one there!!

Someone needs to call John out for his outrageous interjections.  I'm just standing up for what is right.  You should try it.  And IMO a Troll is some anonymous person who hides behind an internet handle.    NOT someone who you have known for years.  NOT the same thing. 

16 hours ago, 2savage said:

Someone needs to call John out for his outrageous interjections.  I'm just standing up for what is right.  You should try it.  And IMO a Troll is some anonymous person who hides behind an internet handle.    NOT someone who you have known for years.  NOT the same thing. 

You need to become a citizen before I drop a dime on you to ICE and Trump deports your limey ass.

John, I've been a  permanent resident since 1984. You talk such garbage.  Why even bother posting as it just makes you look dumb.

From what I recall a foreign national may get a OUPV license but not a master's license. If you are planning on small sailing charters this will be enough license for you.

Need six pack.  My wife Lisa will also be getting her license and she is about as American as it gets (being on the family tree of a past President and also eligible for 'Daughters of the American Revolution').  So long as she is on the charter we will be OK but I want the flexibility to go solo too.

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

You need to become a citizen before I drop a dime on you to ICE and Trump deports your limey ass.

A troll is also an internet poster who baits others into arguments and shitfights.

4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

A troll is also an internet poster who baits others into arguments and shitfights.

And your point is?

4 hours ago, 2savage said:

being on the family tree of a past President 

I think the shine may have come of that 'related to the President' thing over the past 12 months...

On 28/11/2017 at 1:08 AM, sail69 said:

I realized i didn't want the liability of the license while out there as an amateur. 

Huh? If you fuck up out on the water you will be charged as the Master of the vessel. Because you have held the Qual in the past won't help your proposed 'I didn't know any better' defence. 

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

And your point is?

Sharing another definition for the word troll, nothing more, nor less....

Nothing wrong with a little trolling now again...everything in moderation of course.

19 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Nothing wrong with a little trolling now again...everything in moderation of course.

not a bad way to catch fish all in all 

25 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Sinbad the Trollerman (Dabnis) was the most prolific, until he got banned.  Surprised he hasn't resurfaced with something from his sock drawer?

On 28/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, 2savage said:

Alan Townsley.

You really don’t understand how this place works do you?

31 minutes ago, mad said:

You really don’t understand how this place works do you?

Has he ever been given the obligatory SA greeting; "Fuck Off and show us your wife/GF's tits?