• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Wess

HOLY SH*T... Hugo Boss Video and evolution of sailing

Sorry if a duplicate thread but hat's off to the front page (yea there is one) for putting up a video I missed.

I was enjoying the great footage coming out of the Volvo race and then this crossed my screen and I remembered the southern ocean videos of the VG boats last year... and suddenly the Volvo stuff just seems so... old.

HOLY SH*T!! Aerodynamics meet hydrodynamics. I have done the monohull and multihull sailing thing and love them both.  Multis have always had the speed edge and big multis now go around the world faster (even single handed) than most any surface based powerboat can (with the possible exception of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier). Pretty amazing. And now with foiling, monohull sailboats are catching up to the multis and could(?) eventually prove to be faster!

Even as a now multihull guy, I love what the VG boats are and the innovation.  Same thing with the wing sail foiling AC cats.  But equally I love what the AC has just proposed with a foiling monohull.  I am curious to see if in the world of foiling if the monhull platform can in fact be faster than the multi. 

But either way, what a great time to be around and see the development and changes in sailing.  Maxi-multis!  Wings!  Foiling!!  Damn amazing stuff and remarkable innovation and evolution and progress in a sport/activity that had been so stale for so long...

Wess actually not hats off to the Front Page for this one..we thread posters do our bit...hidden in a VOR thread interestingly considering your VOR comments and it predated the FP.

For Alex Thomson's next stunt video, he will iron and press a suit jacket and trousers on the windward foil whilst sailing at a radical angle of heel.

Then finish third in some sailboat race. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

For Alex Thomson's next stunt video, he will iron and press a suit jacket and trousers on the windward foil whilst sailing at a radical angle of heel.

Then finish third in some sailboat race. 

And will still manage to provide better ROI to his sponsors than whoever beats him.

59 minutes ago, CrushDigital said:

And will still manage to provide better ROI to his sponsors than whoever beats him.

... and that is the key to AT.  He is a bloody good sailor and works very hard to provide ROI to Boss (who just extended their agreement for 5 years I think).

Correction, the extension was 4 years,, until the end of 2021.

The sponsorship started in 2003 !!!

12 hours ago, DtM said:

... and that is the key to AT.  He is a bloody good sailor and works very hard to provide ROI to Boss (who just extended their agreement for 5 years I think).

nah...he's always been a second tier sailor but a first rate circus entertainer and their press release said as much!  The stunts get way more publicity for the sponsors than the racing ever will.

40 minutes ago, GBH said:

nah...he's always been a second tier sailor but a first rate circus entertainer and their press release said as much!  The stunts get way more publicity for the sponsors than the racing ever will.

A little harsh perhaps? He was leading and likely to stay in front until the foil snapped. Not sure how qualified you are to rate his sailing ability but I wouldn't judge him on this.

I don't think I'd be getting much sleep at that speed. Might need a strap down harness on as well.  Think amusement park ride.

2 hours ago, GBH said:

2 hours ago, Chrisarnell1 said:

A little harsh perhaps? He was leading and likely to stay in front until the foil snapped. Not sure how qualified you are to rate his sailing ability but I wouldn't judge him on this.

Considering his business model is getting paid to sail, and that like NASCAR & F1 (and soccer/rugby)  his sponsors want to see their logo prominently displayed and achieve notoriety, he's sailing well enough, often enough and promoting his brand and sponsors very effectively. Just consider the difference in footage between Armel and Alex from the French Helicopter near the Kergullen Islands. Armel cowering in his cabin, and Alex bounding around the boat, waving a Union Jack.

Which sponsor got better exposure? the safety and timidity of a bank or the exuberance of Mercedes and Boss? 

Some discussion emanating from the Yacht  Racing Forum held in Denmark last weekend from session about sponsor  objectives. Mention was made of Hugo Boss and their backing of AT where they put more weight on his stunts and cities the boat visits than being in the VG. Mention also made that even at 25k the boat was a relatively comfortable platform for sponsor guests.

The sponsor program is quite large. Seems if there is a HB event near water and the timing fits chances are the black boat will be there. Shop openings, the odd golf tournament with HB as main sponsor, corporate sailing sessions on Sylt. Now boating in the med instead the TJV. For a while a second boat to cover more ground. (Also good if you don't have to sell ASAP I guess.)

Recently a mini series sailing with other HB sponsored athletes and making short clips about it.

So its not exactly free money for Alex.