• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
boatcat65

Anybody Know The History Of This Farr 39ML?

This design was immediately after the very successful Farr ILC 40's and Mumm 36 and immediately before the break through Farr 40 and Farr 30 designs.  Not really designed to a "rule" but meant to be a fast 40' that would preform well under most rules of the time.  Pretty high horse power with overlapping genoas and good sized spinnakers, its a great light-wind boat for the Northwest and very capable of sailing its rating.

They were built by Mark Lindsey in Gloucester. MA (now Boston Boatworks) and were a limited production / semi-custom built using PVC foam core and epoxy and fiberglass laminate.  Carbon inline spreader rig, so the running backstays are critical and not for the novice sailor but still pretty user-friendly.

I sailed many miles on (I think) this boat, its a fun fast boat to race (not cruise) inshore and offshore.  The boat is very well built with a good rig.  I believe this boat needs some TLC and updated sails but is a steal at this price.  Transport from Texas to the PNW will be nearly as much as the boat costs.

1 minute ago, billomalley said:

Transport from Texas to the PNW will be nearly as much as the boat costs.

Depends on routing and timing.

When I had my boat (32', 9k lbs) trucked from SoCal to PNW, I got a wide range of estimates, from >$10k to <4k.  A lot of the variation boiled down to whether or not they'd have a truck in the area on the dates I wanted, and/or whether or not my dates were flexible.

It had very little to do with the length of the trip.  But the price will go up if the boat blows height restrictions, because that affects the routes they can take (and may require additional permits)

18 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Depends on routing and timing.

When I had my boat (32', 9k lbs) trucked from SoCal to PNW, I got a wide range of estimates, from >$10k to <4k.  A lot of the variation boiled down to whether or not they'd have a truck in the area on the dates I wanted, and/or whether or not my dates were flexible.

It had very little to do with the length of the trip.  But the price will go up if the boat blows height restrictions, because that affects the routes they can take (and may require additional permits)

Pretty sure this boat will need to ship keel off with the rig on the deck like the Farr 40, so some significant expense at both ends of the trip.

27 minutes ago, billomalley said:

Pretty sure this boat will need to ship keel off with the rig on the deck like the Farr 40, so some significant expense at both ends of the trip.

Bill, don't let facts get in the way of someone's dream of a cheap boat. And fully agree that there is some work at both ends for transporting this boat, at minimum stanchions and cabin top hardware off and very likely the keel 

If the OP is interested in this type of boat, I am pretty sure there is a Cookson 12m already in the NW that could be had. 

2 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Bill, don't let facts get in the way of someone's dream of a cheap boat. And fully agree that there is some work at both ends for transporting this boat, at minimum stanchions and cabin top hardware off and very likely the keel 

If the OP is interested in this type of boat, I am pretty sure there is a Cookson 12m already in the NW that could be had. 

Saw it on Craigslist recently, old owner upgraded(?) to a first gen 52.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:13 PM, ctutmark said:

another problem with bringing a 39 ML to the PNW is that you will have to race Absolutely boat for boat. Not an easy program to keep up with.

14 minutes ago, ahab in puget said:

another problem with bringing a 39 ML to the PNW is that you will have to race Absolutely boat for boat. Not an easy program to keep up with.

Not to mention all the other well sailed boats in that rating band: Madrona, White Cloud, Wicked Wahine, Hamachi, Terremoto(hopefully soon) etc...

• Like 1

One could look at that as an advantage - an instant,  really good section to race in - IF you were going to do it right and build a program (and spend a bunch of dough) 

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

One could look at that as an advantage - an instant,  really good section to race in - IF you were going to do it right and build a program (and spend a bunch of dough) 

I don't think anyone looking at a $27,000 Farr 39ML is looking to do it right...

I remember when this boat showed up in Mud lake, Aka, MDR.  It was immaculate. Then the Menendez brothers had their way with it and it was trashed!

Always enjoyed beating them with Paddy Wagon in the distance races.

7 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I remember when this boat showed up in Mud lake, Aka, MDR.  It was immaculate. Then the Menendez brothers had their way with it and it was trashed!

Always enjoyed beating them with Paddy Wagon in the distance races.

Didn’t they run it into a freighter off PV, whilst taking a nap?  And then tried to blame the ship?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

Didn’t they run it into a freighter off PV, whilst taking a nap?  And then tried to blame the ship?

That was a classic Menendez Jr. move!

I raced PacCup Y2K on this boat.  Cool boat.  Seemed to get dinged up easily.  I would suspect a $27k 39 foot race boat would need twice that much in refit costs.  

As for the brothers, they took me to Hawaii for an experience I will never forget.  3rd in class.  16th overall.  While they could be loud at times, they treated me well and I had a blast.

A friend had one 15 years ago.  I sailed on it a good bit and did all prep work on it.  Great boats, as far as I was concerned.   If it needs a lot of sails or lines ,beware as they wont be cheap.   The main is Huge.   Very tweaky rig, that needs someone that knows how to tune it right and often.  Build quality was great.  It was a very fun boat.