dylan winter

the most frightening engine in the world....

Recommended Posts

My old boat - the slug is for sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIrror-Offshore-Sailing-Boat-Yacht-Cruiser-Motor-Sailer/222735211721?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D500f1b1afb94467cb15cee5f72b9b71d%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D251274601583&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mH2BuZM1CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

 

but man I hated that engine

s-l1600.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those old lunker diesels with the huge flywheels are the way a marine engine should be AFAIAC.

Turbos and high rpm's just don't say "boat" to me.

A boat should say "pocketa, pocketa, pocketa" when it's powering. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the noise

man that thing would run at about a 30 rpm

sipped fuel

heated up the cabin a treat - if I ran that for an hour it would keep the cabin warm for at least 20 minutes

everything smelled of diesel

It made me cry though when if fucked me again and again and again

Dylan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

My old boat - the slug is for sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIrror-Offshore-Sailing-Boat-Yacht-Cruiser-Motor-Sailer/222735211721?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D500f1b1afb94467cb15cee5f72b9b71d%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D251274601583&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mH2BuZM1CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

 

but man I hated that engine

s-l1600.jpg

 

The engine in Slug was hard to like. I remember the episodes. But I was amazed how well you made that little boat sail and the ingenuity of the rigs you used. Some of your best footage was taken aboard her. 

 

I had the 2 cylinder version of that Volvo on a Cape Dory 28 which we sailed for 13 years. It was reliable but I never liked it. Even the two cylinder was a thumper. One day,  that MD2 just snapped. I can't remember exactly how, and I didn't know much about engines, but I knew it was done and didn't even consider repairing it. I had no confidence in having it rebuilt, either. A few people told me, "those are disposable,...".  That's embarrassing to hear,...

 

But there were so many around, it didn't take long to find one in my neighborhood, sitting around waiting for someone to buy it. $500, 'runs like a top', the seller said. We put it in with a back hoe and chain. It ran fine but was a slow starter, which seems to be the norm for that vintage Volvo.

 

Sold it, 'running like a top',... with the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks familiar...

35990717905_b9b44ee54b_z.jpg

Mine also runs great... when it starts.  The problem is that it's a combination starter and generator, and just isn't quite up to the task. 

The nice thing about those external flywheels is that it is possible to start it by wrapping a rope and pulling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

Looks familiar...

35990717905_b9b44ee54b_z.jpg

Mine also runs great... when it starts.  The problem is that it's a combination starter and generator, and just isn't quite up to the task. 

The nice thing about those external flywheels is that it is possible to start it by wrapping a rope and pulling. 

I really liked the engine for the first three years... then it gave me two years of shit

one bloke said that the engine has a flywheel that would do justice to a tractor

 

I agree about the dynastart. If they were a good idea then all cars would have been fitted with one

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Yanmar still make the old Y series single cylinder engines? I had a YSM 12 in my old Yamaha 33. I screwed it up royally just using it to charge with a small alternator and had to re-sleeve the cylinder. While I was at it I replaced rings, raw water pump and rod bearings, all for about $100 in parts and did the whole job on my friend's garage floor. Ran like a top after that. And it could be hand started which happened a lot  cuz I wouldn't charge the batteries at anchor after that.  I think they also had a smaller one that could have been a direct replacement for your 7HP Volvo. A sweet boat like that should have a better auxiliary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

one bloke said that the engine has a flywheel that would do justice to a tractor

Big deal as a kid was the job to start our Field Marshall diesel tractor. The big deal was on account it was a Coffman Starter system utilising a blank shotgun shell and wacking the firing pin with a hammer. The flywheel was the weight/size of a small house. System was common on aircraft and military engines. I kept an eye out for one on a boat but never saw one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kinardly said:

Does Yanmar still make the old Y series single cylinder engines? I had a YSM 12 in my old Yamaha 33. I screwed it up royally just using it to charge with a small alternator and had to re-sleeve the cylinder. While I was at it I replaced rings, raw water pump and rod bearings, all for about $100 in parts and did the whole job on my friend's garage floor. Ran like a top after that. And it could be hand started which happened a lot  cuz I wouldn't charge the batteries at anchor after that.  I think they also had a smaller one that could have been a direct replacement for your 7HP Volvo. A sweet boat like that should have a better auxiliary. 

My boat has a Ysm8.  Runs great! I don’t think that they build them any more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a new on the pallet YSM8 for my first project boat. When it arrived I was checking it out and just to see how easily it rotated I put the hand crank in, opened the compression release and spun it over a few times. When I let go of the CR the damn thing started up - on the assembly lube I presume. It startled me so much that it took me a couple of seconds to figure out to throw the CR again - I think I was looking for the key or something. :D

At the time they were reputed to have been developed as a water pump engine for rice paddies. You could get them completely stripped - no starter, no alternator, no panel, no nuthin - just a hand crank. A real prime mover.

Totally dependable but it didn't like starting in cold weather and it would shake your fillings loose - should have had one of those Volvo sized flywheels on it. Used so little fuel you only needed pocket change to run it all summer. I had a 5 gallon tank and I'm sure I threw out more stale fuel than I burned - filled the tank 3 times in 9 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly thirty years ago, I re engined a boat with a YSE12, noisy and underpowered but reliable.

Pulled it apart for a rebuild before selling it, there was minimal wear on the bore, bearings and cylinders.

They all miked well inside specification, so I just reassembled it,  it’s still going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Big deal as a kid was the job to start our Field Marshall diesel tractor. The big deal was on account it was a Coffman Starter system utilising a blank shotgun shell and wacking the firing pin with a hammer. The flywheel was the weight/size of a small house. System was common on aircraft and military engines. I kept an eye out for one on a boat but never saw one.

Ah, the original Flight of the Phoenix.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed I remember seeing that movie with my kids and telling them that was how I started one of their grandfather's tractors...I don't think they believed me....or they were disappointed that no one in excitement walked into the prop after it started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In our island every boat from 4.5 to 7m have a Volvo 1 cyl or 2 cyl. Electric starter is very rare. Just insert the shaft for manual starting, open the decompression lever, make few turns and close the lever. It starts always, no full throtle. The only problem that people have is cooling system with sea water - usualy they remove the thermostat to reduce scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, olaf hart said:

It could have been worse Dylan, if it was a Stuart Turner....

My Dad's 28' sled had a single cylinder Stuart Turner. Ran like a boss for 25 years. 

The piss motor was the Seafarer. 2 cylinder 2-stroke motorcycle motor with a marine conversion. A real piece of shit. Replaced the one in my Dads 30'er with an Atomic 4 after 4 years of intermittent running ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If my C&C had come with a diesel, it would have had - believe it or not - a diesel conversion of a freaking MG Midget engine! Having had an MG Midget, the thought "I should make a diesel boat engine out of this" never ever crossed my mind to say the least. Apparently it actually was a nice little engine, but parts are impossible to find now.

I have also run across Palmer gasoline engines that apparently were related to International Harvester tractor engines. Rumors that A4s are tractor derived are false though, those engines have never been anything but boat engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only redeeming quality of the Seafarer was its amazing light weight. Which was handy because we had to regularly remove it for flushing out the salt water and replacing the blown head gasket. Got pretty good at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I bought a new on the pallet YSM8 for my first project boat. When it arrived I was checking it out and just to see how easily it rotated I put the hand crank in, opened the compression release and spun it over a few times. When I let go of the CR the damn thing started up - on the assembly lube I presume. It startled me so much that it took me a couple of seconds to figure out to throw the CR again - I think I was looking for the key or something. :D

At the time they were reputed to have been developed as a water pump engine for rice paddies. You could get them completely stripped - no starter, no alternator, no panel, no nuthin - just a hand crank. A real prime mover.

Totally dependable but it didn't like starting in cold weather and it would shake your fillings loose - should have had one of those Volvo sized flywheels on it. Used so little fuel you only needed pocket change to run it all summer. I had a 5 gallon tank and I'm sure I threw out more stale fuel than I burned - filled the tank 3 times in 9 years.

That is an awesome story ! And I agree on fuel consumption.  I burned 4 gallons last season and used her a lot.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RKoch said:

My Dad's 28' sled had a single cylinder Stuart Turner. Ran like a boss for 25 years. 

The piss motor was the Seafarer. 2 cylinder 2-stroke motorcycle motor with a marine conversion. A real piece of shit. Replaced the one in my Dads 30'er with an Atomic 4 after 4 years of intermittent running ability.

You know an engine is bad when an Atomic-4 is considered a sweet upgrade. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

You know an engine is bad when an Atomic-4 is considered a sweet upgrade. ;)

The A-bomb was put in about 1976. Diesels weren't as universal then as now. The Atomic did give years of reliable service. As of a few years ago it was still in the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still own quite a few single cylinder gas engines, Fairbanks-Morse, Emsco, Arrows. They run on casinghead gas to run oil well pumpjacks. I've got one in Crane county, I bought used and installed in 1992, it's been running continuously since with the only downtime for 3 or 4 ring jobs.

Had the flywheel come off one a few years ago, ran off through the pasture for over 1/2 mile, digging a hell of a rut. Lucky nothing valuable or living got in the way.

If you have sweet gas it's the cheapest way to pump an oil well, especially in a remote location where it's too far to run electricity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If my C&C had come with a diesel, it would have had - believe it or not - a diesel conversion of a freaking MG Midget engine! Having had an MG Midget, the thought "I should make a diesel boat engine out of this" never ever crossed my mind to say the least. Apparently it actually was a nice little engine, but parts are impossible to find now.

I have also run across Palmer gasoline engines that apparently were related to International Harvester tractor engines. Rumors that A4s are tractor derived are false though, those engines have never been anything but boat engines.

But they ARE pretty agricultural. ;)

What was that Midget diesel conversion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nebe said:

That is an awesome story ! And I agree on fuel consumption.  I burned 4 gallons last season and used her a lot.  

I had a 12 gal tank for my YSM 12. One summer we motored San Diego to San Clemente Island (+/- 14 hours), then sailed around the Island to Cat Harbor on Catalina, motored down to Little Harbor (2 hours) and then back to SD (16 hours) all on one tank at about 5.5 kts. Coming into the channel I got end of cruise fever and cut too close to the kelp beds, wrapping weed around the prop and shaft. It was dark and I wasn't keen on jumping over the side to cut it off so I tried to sail in a dying breeze with about 2 kts of ebb current. No good. So, we fired up the diesel and thump thumped with one prop blade for two more hours to get home. I was convinced we were about to run out of fuel but we made it in and when I refueled a bit later, we only needed a little over 10 gallons. 

Dylan, if you end up keeping your boat, you might look for one of these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kinardly said:

I had a 12 gal tank for my YSM 12. One summer we motored San Diego to San Clemente Island (+/- 14 hours), then sailed around the Island to Cat Harbor on Catalina, motored down to Little Harbor (2 hours) and then back to SD (16 hours) all on one tank at about 5.5 kts. Coming into the channel I got end of cruise fever and cut too close to the kelp beds, wrapping weed around the prop and shaft. It was dark and I wasn't keen on jumping over the side to cut it off so I tried to sail in a dying breeze with about 2 kts of ebb current. No good. So, we fired up the diesel and thump thumped with one prop blade for two more hours to get home. I was convinced we were about to run out of fuel but we made it in and when I refueled a bit later, we only needed a little over 10 gallons. 

Dylan, if you end up keeping your boat, you might look for one of these. 

last year I had an almost new three cylinder beta while I was still sailing in scotland - it was wonderful. It sipped fuel, started in a trice, and ran cool all day.

I have never owned such a wonderful engine and I was very sad to sell it because I bought the Centaur only because it had the new engine. I had hoped that the engine would take me safely around Ireland and to the channel islands.

But I ran out of cash and the boat had to go in January. So buying a new YSM is well over the horizon.

By contrast I am currently sailing with a 2.3 Honda in the well of the trailer sailer.

It starts every pull... but fek it is noisy. I wear ear defenders. It can just beat the tides here.

Although I am loving my winter sailing. Next summer hangs in the balance and Scotland is off the ticket for the foreseeable future primarily because getting videos noticed when  the video market leaders can deliver real firepower to desktops every day is proving as hard as a hard thing.

This appeared three lines  down from the American politics that youtube offers me every day - a pixilleted bum or tit is so much more interesting than an intelligent and witty old fekker schlepping around Scotland in an undesirable boat.

Delos_tit_show.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, dylan winter said:

 a pixilleted bum or tit is so much more interesting than an intelligent and witty old fekker schlepping around Scotland in an undesirable boat.

Delos_tit_show.jpg

The answer is simple Dylan... Decorate you opening page with a photo of some lady that has a chest that looks like a dead heat in a zeppelin race.

( Im lead to believe the inter web is awash with such pictures...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 4:59 AM, dylan winter said:

last year I had an almost new three cylinder beta while I was still sailing in scotland - it was wonderful. It sipped fuel, started in a trice, and ran cool all day.

I have never owned such a wonderful engine and I was very sad to sell it because I bought the Centaur only because it had the new engine. I had hoped that the engine would take me safely around Ireland and to the channel islands.

But I ran out of cash and the boat had to go in January. So buying a new YSM is well over the horizon.

By contrast I am currently sailing with a 2.3 Honda in the well of the trailer sailer.

It starts every pull... but fek it is noisy. I wear ear defenders. It can just beat the tides here.

Although I am loving my winter sailing. Next summer hangs in the balance and Scotland is off the ticket for the foreseeable future primarily because getting videos noticed when  the video market leaders can deliver real firepower to desktops every day is proving as hard as a hard thing.

This appeared three lines  down from the American politics that youtube offers me every day - a pixilleted bum or tit is so much more interesting than an intelligent and witty old fekker schlepping around Scotland in an undesirable boat.

Delos_tit_show.jpg

Dylan, I have been watching.. You are the David Attenborough ( have you ever heard of him? ;) ) of sailing videos.   We need to get you down the the BVI and do a wildlife documentary of the cruiser scene down there.  I'm going to kick some cash your way soon... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the thread title - IMO THIS is the most frightening engine in the world. 28 cylinders in 4 rows, 4 valves per cylinder, 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged AND supercharged. :blink::o

That comes to 112 valves, 56 spark plugs and they used up to 6 of them on a single airplane.

I've seen a display cutaway of one and it was mesmerizing it was so complicated - I can't imagine how anyone ever thought it could be done. Just to cap it off, it is essentially 1920's technology. Imagine 14 gigantic Harley Knuckleheads all on a common shaft. The ultimate development of piston aircraft engines.

image.png.cad86ed52095ca419cf627cce7006029.png

R4360.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I would be at all comfortable in the BVIs

 

I burn like a crisp, sleep badly when it is hot, find too much nakedflesh distracting and I have never siled in warm clear water

 

I am genetically predisposed to cold water sailing.

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

Those old lunker diesels with the huge flywheels are the way a marine engine should be AFAIAC.

Turbos and high rpm's just don't say "boat" to me.

A boat should say "pocketa, pocketa, pocketa" when it's powering. :D

Yup. That’s why we motor at 2300 rpm with the 3GM.  It’s almost relaxing, especially with the new Flexofold, which is noticeably more efficient than the Martec. 

I keep thinking an electric would be better, but the Torqeedo on the trimaran has a pretty annoying medium high pitched whine.  The dB’s aren’t bad, but still......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the scariest diesel engine is any of them that gets busy doing a "Run away", you just wont believe the revs they'll pull, blocking air intake is the only way to stop them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RKoch said:

At least replacing the crankshaft in a sailboat auxiliary motor isn't as hard as this:

 

 

 

Excellent and thank you. Much more to my taste than overmade up ladies on yotts in nice places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue the hijack of horrifying engines- the Vire 7 and, even more so, the Vire 12 have to be at the top of my list. Inboard, 2-stroke gas motors?!? C'mon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most frightening engine in the world...

 

...is the one that isn't maintained :-)

Heres my total rebuild, just about done.  Phew.

(My old man mechanic friend with white hair in the pic is also probably almost done - he's probably sick and tired of it by now! :-) )

image1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, suider said:

To continue the hijack of horrifying engines- the Vire 7 and, even more so, the Vire 12 have to be at the top of my list. Inboard, 2-stroke gas motors?!? C'mon! 

That's what the Seafarer was. 2 cyl 2-stroke marine conversion of an Excelsior motorcycle engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 2:38 PM, 167149 said:

I think the scariest diesel engine is any of them that gets busy doing a "Run away", you just wont believe the revs they'll pull, blocking air intake is the only way to stop them

 

My biggest fear is mistakenly putting gas in my diesel truck. I've almost done it and my turbo is a little more buried than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Not a good idea to put your hand over the turbo intake like that...

It's fine, as long as you're a traditional Tasmanian and have a spare arm you don't mind having forcibly amputated.

Or is that a spare head? So many inbreeding issues, it's hard to keep up.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Not a good idea to put your hand over the turbo intake like that...

It looked to me like he screwed up the impeller blades when he jammed that rag in it.

$$$ if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

It looked to me like he screwed up the impeller blades when he jammed that rag in it.

$$$ if so.

Yeah, notice he wiggled it to see if the bearings were shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in marine engineering school one of the instructors told me a truth...

"if its green run away" still holds true today. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, suider said:

To continue the hijack of horrifying engines- the Vire 7 and, even more so, the Vire 12 have to be at the top of my list. Inboard, 2-stroke gas motors?!? C'mon! 

I was waiting for a mention of the Vire so intriguing yet so wrong at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep expecting someone to bring up the Yanmar YS family of engines. Apparently based on half of a horizontally opposed Coventry Climax engine designed to be installed on landing craft (hence the low profile). We had one in a clinker boat which would rattle it so much that the endemic leaks would get much worse under power. It was so loud it was like being in a machine gun nest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I keep expecting someone to bring up the Yanmar YS family of engines. Apparently based on half of a horizontally opposed Coventry Climax engine designed to be installed on landing craft (hence the low profile). We had one in a clinker boat which would rattle it so much that the endemic leaks would get much worse under power. It was so loud it was like being in a machine gun nest. 

There was some stuff on the YS starting back in post 12.

I never heard about the Coventry Climax connection before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There was some stuff on the YS starting back in post 12.

I never heard about the Coventry Climax connection before.

Named after that famous center for women's orgasm research, the Coventry Climax Clinic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the POS BMW/Hartz?  About 12hp single cylinder, damn thing rattled so much every nut and bolt rattled loose, even when loctited.  Nearly as bad as a Stuart Turner, a two stroke monstrosity that was just about impossible to start if hot.  You needed to change the spark plug for a new cold one to get the poxy thing to go.  Loved to stop just in front of ferries etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad's 28'er had a single cyl 2-stroke Stuart Turner that ran fine. Lots of torque and a proper 'put-put' sound. It was just heavy as fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kocher - you sound suspiciously like those people who praise their British Seagulls as "easy starting and reliable".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my family experience with Stuart Turners is much better than British Seagulls.  I can't find info on the Seafarer, but it was a real abortion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2017 at 2:48 AM, Ishmael said:

Named after that famous center for women's orgasm research, the Coventry Climax Clinic.

In the 1960's, Coventry Climax cooperated with the nearby Rootes Group on engine manufacture.  You couldn't make it up.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beanie 101 said:

In the 1960's, Coventry Climax cooperated with the nearby Rootes Group on engine manufacture.  You couldn't make it up.....

FYI, many Americans will think of plumbing before the UK slang meaning.

I always think this company could sell tons of t-shirts in the UK :lol:

Mr-Rooter-Horizontal-Reasons-Logo.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

FYI, many Americans will think of plumbing before the UK slang meaning.

I always think this company could sell tons of t-shirts in the UK :lol:

Mr-Rooter-Horizontal-Reasons-Logo.jpg

 

At the risk of causing further confusion, the verb "to root" comes from down under.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that the same company that made Excelsior motorcycles?

It was a marine conversion of an Excelsior m/c engine. Used the same crankcase, afaik, but had water-jacketed cylinders and heads. Horrible little beasts. If you backed of the throttle too quickly, it would suck in the head gasket and fill the crankcase with water. Fortunately it was lightweight and easy to pull out, hose out on the dock with fresh water, flush with diesel or mineral spirits, replace head gasket and reinstall. 

Thanks for finding that link, sea bell. Brings back fond memories of docking under sail. LOL!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, kinardly said:

And chain driven to a 220 series tire on the left side. Must have left quite donut when they floored it.

 

There is a chain drive on both reef wheels, I wonder if it used a differential or if the rear wheels are connected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beanie 101 said:

In the 1960's, Coventry Climax cooperated with the nearby Rootes Group on engine manufacture.  You couldn't make it up.....

I think you may have found the reason for the collapse of British manufacturing. Too many double entendres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 11:10 PM, SloopJonB said:

I bought a new on the pallet YSM8 for my first project boat. When it arrived I was checking it out and just to see how easily it rotated I put the hand crank in, opened the compression release and spun it over a few times. When I let go of the CR the damn thing started up - on the assembly lube I presume. It startled me so much that it took me a couple of seconds to figure out to throw the CR again - I think I was looking for the key or something. :D

At the time they were reputed to have been developed as a water pump engine for rice paddies. You could get them completely stripped - no starter, no alternator, no panel, no nuthin - just a hand crank. A real prime mover.

Totally dependable but it didn't like starting in cold weather and it would shake your fillings loose - should have had one of those Volvo sized flywheels on it. Used so little fuel you only needed pocket change to run it all summer. I had a 5 gallon tank and I'm sure I threw out more stale fuel than I burned - filled the tank 3 times in 9 years.

Holy shit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, RKoch said:

Here's video of the Beast of Turin. It is a bit frightening...

 

 

 

If i had balls big enough to drive that thing flat out I could paint them orange and save on buying pumpkins for Halloween :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 6:14 AM, oceaneer said:

When I was in marine engineering school one of the instructors told me a truth...

"if its green run away" still holds true today. 

 

tsss, Abc's are mostly in green and are really nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 6:36 AM, gewoon ik said:

tsss, Abc's are mostly in green and are really nice.

 

Wow ABC diesel.. Are they still around? I thought that the new MARPOL regs were the end for them.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, oceaneer said:

Wow ABC diesel.. Are they still around? I thought that the new MARPOL regs were the end for them.. 

Nope. Still making them. They are working on a new engine even. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 5:27 PM, SloopJonB said:

Kocher - you sound suspiciously like those people who praise their British Seagulls as "easy starting and reliable".

Depends on the Seagull.

As a kid in the late 70s, my family had 2 Seagulls: a small 1950s model, and a bigger 1970s model.

The 1950s veteran was a jewel.  Easy start, first time, every time.

The 1970s Seagull was a pig. Brute to start cold, impossible to start hot.  Much lower quality components on the new one: why use brass when thin pressed steel and cheap plastic was available?

Like most other once-iconic British brands, onanist know-nothing bean-counting "managers" sabotaged the work of their engineers and craftsmen.   It took an influx of Japanese manufacturers in the  1990s to finally prove that the problem was management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to trying a crank start of our Lister 3 cylinder diesel. It's circa 1968 (3500 hours) and I'm told was designed as a stationary engine. Why they chose to pop it in a yacht (Boden South Seas steel 39 foot schooner) I'll never know.

It's air cooled (another challenging concept for anyone who comes across the boat) and would have been originally designed for crank start only. The subsequent inclusion of a starter motor is excellent, however, I must say the crank start was super easy. The big benefit being that the crank has a clutch arrangement so once the engine catches there's no pick up on the crank handle. Just stop spinning and remove!

Nice to know we'll be able crank start if ever we need to.

Mex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.11.2017 at 11:09 PM, SloopJonB said:

Re: the thread title - IMO THIS is the most frightening engine in the world. 28 cylinders in 4 rows, 4 valves per cylinder, 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged AND supercharged. :blink::o

That comes to 112 valves, 56 spark plugs and they used up to 6 of them on a single airplane.

I've seen a display cutaway of one and it was mesmerizing it was so complicated - I can't imagine how anyone ever thought it could be done. Just to cap it off, it is essentially 1920's technology. Imagine 14 gigantic Harley Knuckleheads all on a common shaft. The ultimate development of piston aircraft engines.

image.png.cad86ed52095ca419cf627cce7006029.png

R4360.jpg

What is the name/ model  ? any video showing it in motion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone pointed out that the most frightening engine in the world is the completely silent one, as the ferry bears down, the harbour wall bears up, or the tide race approaches, amid panicked attempts to bleed fuel hoses, hot wire instrument panels, or cut ropes off props? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Has anyone pointed out that the most frightening engine in the world is the completely silent one, as the ferry bears down, the harbour wall bears up, or the tide race approaches, amid panicked attempts to bleed fuel hoses, hot wire instrument panels, or cut ropes off props? 

...or prime gummed up outboard carburetors:

*flick*
*prime*
*pbbbtth*
*prime again*
*pbbbttthhh*
*pbbbthh pbbbthh pbbbthh pbbbttthhh ppppbbbbttthhh...*
*pant, pant, pant*
*Open Choke*
*pppbbbtthhhh...ring. RING-DING-DING-DINGGGGGG!!!!!!!*
*Close choke*
*DINGGGGGG!!!!!!...ack.*
*pbbbbthh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Has anyone pointed out that the most frightening engine in the world is the completely silent one, as the ferry bears down, the harbour wall bears up, or the tide race approaches, amid panicked attempts to bleed fuel hoses, hot wire instrument panels, or cut ropes off props? 

That's the one I know. Especially when the hit/function rate is 70-80%. Just enough to keep you guessing and not write it off completely but as soon as you let your guard down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see your 28 cylinders... and raise you. 42 cylinders:  Ha!   

I give you the:  Zvezda M503a 

They were previously  used in fast Russian missle boats. According to a Latvian colleague who knows the engines, if you got 2000 hours MTBF you were lucky. 

The 503 has 42 cylinders (6 rows of 7). It displaces 143 liters. 6200 HP with the turbo supercharger. I don't know what it produces when modified for tractor pulls!

Oh, it was a diesel so no spark plugs. But lots and lots of valves. No need to do a valve job though; just scrap them and put in a new one.

3630728158_62398cce2a.jpg

Scariest engine:  OMC Saildrive. 15 HP, 2 stroke gas engine. An outboard powerhead from a Johnson 30 or 35 detuned to 15 HP.

omc-saildrive-15s11c-2-02-08-007-jpg.250

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites