• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Squirrel

Understanding Tidal Flow - Biscayne Bay

HELP!

This fresh water sailor is going to be spending a fair amount of time in Miami this winter and I am struggling to understand tidal flow on Biscayne Bay.  I found numerous tide charts, but I can not find anywhere that shows tidal flow direction.  I understand it is a bay so water flows in to the bay during flood tide and out of the bay during ebb tide.  My problem is the "bay" is actually open to the North, South, and East.  So the question is: during Flood tide is the water flowing North to South, South to North, East to West, or some combination of the three?

In other news, we are doing J/22 Worlds next year at Annapolis Yacht Club, so if you have suggested resources for the Severn/Chesapeake that is appreciated as well 

Thanks in advance
MS

Dude, he's asking for data in a very general way, so I gave a very general answer.

Note that the CMAP cartridges have current vectors, presumably the PC programs do as well.  

A reasonably astute individual can take the tabular predictions and figure out the deltas and derive the basic direction of the flow.

More precise question of where to position vs state of tide requires either detailed current maps which I did not locate or as noted in the CMAP the calculation and prediction of currents based on a model. 

Assuming a J/22, the idea of a chart plotter is probably a stretch, but reviewing the CMAP PC data might be a good plan.  

My experience (3 years of doing mark set / pin boat at SWC Miami) is that the tidal flows are relatively slow in the race areas inside the northern part of the bay.  (The tides are only about 30 inches.)  The depth is uniformly shallow, so what current there is is fairly uniform.

Do what the big boys do, though - no sooner than we had a mark in the water, there would be a gaggle of coaches by it, dropping current sticks in.

It's comparable to Lk. St. Clair around GPYC.  Something you might have to account for when judging a lay line, but nowhere to escape it.  Everyone is on the moving carpet.

No kidding, but it’s a resource. He can use as he sees fit. Trying to help somebody who seems challenged to find even basics  

For max semi uniform currents of less than a knot, I’d probably not worry, we sail in very divergent slows on SFBay with 1 kt differences across 100 yards. 

Do those regions have tide atlases?  The ones for Puget Sound and the Strait of Georgia are really helpful to me.  They show a lot more detail than you can get with a few NOAA current vectors.  I attached one as a sample (this the south end of Vashon on a large flood).  

For buoy racing I agree that it is even better to watch the tides effect on buoys.  

62FB831B-90E2-41A0-B3E3-3D51FDDB53A4.jpeg

The bay is not like rivers and other freshwater estuaries and bays that are confined by land masses. Pretty consistent 10’depth and not much tidal flow. You won’t have to throw an anchor at slack tide to keep from sailing in reverse in a 10 knot tide like Jenn and the Samoan lady did in the Devil’s Triangle.