• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Slected37

Modding Selection37

Ho,

I bought a Selection37 from France last year and sailed (better say shanghaid) her to cold Finland. She didnt actually like the idea of starting a new life in north.. allmost everything inc. motor was renewed during transportation. Really liked how the boat handled in all most every conditions. Smooth and light.. Except sailing straight to heavy waves in northsea.. but thats another story. This boat was introduced&tested in Voiles magazine ten years ago.

Well.. my intentions are to mod boat heavily for more suitable to singlehanded sailing. Making cockpit go little further in aft, replacing wc, routing all ropes to skipper, making a proper swimplatform, probably a small extension etc normal stuff. Also most likely to redesigning keel (theres a casting company specialized for keels nearby) to compensate lack of crew ballast and make it little bit more modern. As for now I'm keeping fixed rig as stock.

I've googled for pictures, information and stuff for allmost an year now and i think that ive found lots of material considering the boat, but does anyone know more about this old thread about " Goldeneye". Pictures, general information etc. Or if you guys know anyother more modded Selection37 information is more than appreciated.

Why Selection37? Cheap, retail price not affected by modifications that much, Cheap, fits perfectly for my needs and baltic sea/finnish archipelago conditons. And did I mention it was a bargain.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:12 PM, Slected37 said:

Why Selection37? Cheap, retail price not affected by modifications that much, Cheap, fits perfectly for my needs and baltic sea/finnish archipelago conditons. And did I mention it was a bargain.

Because the Sélection doesn't rate well in IRC. It is a tender boat (IRC like stiff boats and people who refit old IOR designs change keels for this reason), the mast is fragile and hard to tune. I've actually seen one dimast 50 metres away from me.

If you like the boat, I would first change the mast then the keel. Like most old racing boats engine has probably been run to recharge the batteries while the boat was heeled....

It wasn't a "bad boat", it's just that it has lost its appeal. It was designed for the "Tour de France Voile" hence why it is so technical. The Sélection was really good in light air conditions, especially if crewed by people good at tuning the mainsail shape with the running backstays and the check stays.

When I sailed on these boats on TdFaV we thought the rig was quite stout? We could bone the runners until the winch wouldn't turn any more.

Raced on and against one in the mid 80's

My recollection was very fast downwind in all conditions, but not competitive upwind - my guess is likely due to the cast iron keel.

One time I was on a lightweight Dash 34 (early 80's Davidson non-IOR design).  We passed them upwind in a breeze and rounded maybe 2 minutes in front but they blew by us in about 10 minutes tops - we were doing about 14 kts and they had to be at least 2-3 knots faster.  Fortunately the breeze subsequently began to lighten up a bit and the last leg was a beat.

The other time I was on the same Jeanneau in a light air race and a Sov 33 would pass us upwind and we would pass them downwind - back and forth.  The last leg was again a beat - this time unfortunately

2 hours ago, longy said:

When I sailed on these boats on TdFaV we thought the rig was quite stout? We could bone the runners until the winch wouldn't turn any more.

I don't think that the mast failure were from too much tension but from operator error, it is pretty easy to invert such a mast if you don't know what you are doing.