• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

Wanted Missing VOR Skipper

10 minutes ago, random said:

The three quotes you made all support the truism that jokes on the boat are not the same ones you tell to your grandmother.  The reaction Witty's jokes got show that to be true.

But here in some alternate universe, anyone who points that out is attacked, without even an attempt to refute it.

Personal attacks are usually the last resort of posters raped by logic and facts.  Here they appear to be the first, as you have just proven

You seem to have a serious case of Wofsey syndrome occurring. 

I would suggest that the OBR should be the one concerned with their future employment options

4 minutes ago, Rushman said:

I would suggest that the OBR should be the one concerned with their future employment options

Well seeing as they were playing to the camera, you can’t really blame the OBR 

4 hours ago, random said:

Reality TV "Stealth Mode" really shits me.

Next we will see boats voted off the next leg?  

Being able to vote people off these forums has merit. Wouldn't be the first time a door has hit your puckered arse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Well seeing as they were playing to the camera, you can’t really blame the OBR 

Recording, editing, uploading and censoring isn't part of the OBR's role?

11 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

One has to remember it is not what was done/said on the video per se and I agree some larking around can get pretty cruel/close to the bone amongst mates on a boat. Having said that, if you watch the body language it made more than just AB uncomfortable.

The real issue is that it was broadcast. Social media is the new media as they say and to post that on their Facebook page and then for the VOR media crew to re-post it (share) was NOT wise. The negative feedback on Facebook dramatically outweighed the comments that thought there was any humour at all.

From the Facebook feedback alone if it has damaged the reputation of the sport of sailing - perhaps even just a little bit it starts to move to wards that dreaded phrase "bringing the sport into disrepute (check your dictionaries before shouting me down guys)

Was it offensive? I wasn't offended but did think it was in bad taste.

However if it caused offense to a large number of those who viewed it (and the feedback would suggest this) then it was, by definition, offensive. 

I have seen much less than this censured on terrestrial television and the standards that would be applied would not be those we roughty tuffty Anarchists would apply but those applied in the general population.

I wonder what ISAF think? They are bound to have a view as they will most likely have been contacted about it.

Just saying but our sport (and I am sure the race) doesn't need this sort of thing.

SS

Again- harden the fuck up. Oddly enough a bit of barrack room humour is very common on race boats. Maybe not on your little PC 4 knot shitbox program but in the real world. When an adult sees something they find offensive guess what they do? They stop watching it. Snowflakes like you have to leap on to social media telling the world that they are offended. You should be charged with a Rule 69. Anyone reading your post might think that the sport is full of nancy snowflakes like you. I hope my words have offended you cup cake.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Recording, editing, uploading and censoring isn't part of the OBR's role?

They knew they being recorded, it’s a skit that Witty has done before, it’s clearly staged for the camera!!

23 minutes ago, mad said:

They knew they being recorded, it’s a skit that Witty has done before, it’s clearly staged for the camera!!

What happens on the boat, stays on the boat.... Unless the OBR uploads the vision to the internet

4 minutes ago, Rushman said:

What happens on the boat, stays on the boat.... Unless the OBR uploads the vision to the internet

Believe it whichever way you want. 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Randumb if you were any slower you would be going backwards.

More personal attacks, no content.

Big hat no cattle.

59 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Oddly enough a bit of barrack room humour is very common on race boats.

Yep and that's where it usually stays.

59 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

When an adult sees something they find offensive guess what they do? They stop watching it.

Yep, and that's what the Sponsors don't want to happen.

2 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Random,

you remind me of Judy from this scene from "In the Loop"

OBR behaviour - is it in your purview?

Yes it certainly is.  You see I am a member of the public, the one the floating bill-boards are aimed at.

The same public that decided that Witty was out of order posting that tasteless unfunny video.  The same public that sees that Witty does not have the wits to understand the importance of context when you tell a joke.  The same public that as LB has pointed out "sees something they find offensive guess what they do? They stop watching it. "

So yep, I am fully qualified to comment on the OBR behavior.

14 minutes ago, random said:

Yes it certainly is.  You see I am a member of the public, the one the floating bill-boards are aimed at.

The same public that decided that Witty was out of order posting that tasteless unfunny video.  The same public that sees that Witty does not have the wits to understand the importance of context when you tell a joke.  The same public that as LB has pointed out "sees something they find offensive guess what they do? They stop watching it. "

So yep, I am fully qualified to comment on the OBR behavior.

There there princess, your pain from watching that vid will eventually go away.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There there princess, your pain from watching that vid will eventually go away.

Maybe you needed an excuse to post that ... again.

But link me where I said I was offended by Witty's behaviour.  Good luck

17 minutes ago, random said:

Maybe you needed an excuse to post that ... again.

But link me where I said I was offended by Witty's behaviour.  Good luck

Well what exactly are you bitching about then? 

There is something unfunny about David Witt.  It could be his sense of humor, or it could be his lack of it..

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Well what exactly are you bitching about then? 

Didn't offend me, we have all seen way more extreme and just laughed.  But it was obvious that he was providing fodder to feminists to complain.  A blind man could have seen that a backlash would happen. 

It was stupid to send that off the boat.

edit: and that's not even talking about how Witty's humour is totally dependant on the fact that everyone is expected to laugh at the boss's jokes.

4 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Random,

you remind me of Judy from this scene from "In the Loop"

OBR behaviour - is it in your purview?

Oh, so you watch television?  Rots your brain, as you have shown.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:48 PM, Last Post said:

Prediction: Witt won't complete this lap of the planet.

...I'd guess there's not much to be gained if you won that bet with the bookies.  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Teaky said:

There is something unfunny about David Witt.  It could be his sense of humor, or it could be his lack of it..

there is ALOT unfunny about Witty, ever been to sea with him?, I did - once, never again.

g'day Teaks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Again- harden the fuck up. Oddly enough a bit of barrack room humour is very common on race boats. Maybe not on your little PC 4 knot shitbox program but in the real world. When an adult sees something they find offensive guess what they do? They stop watching it. Snowflakes like you have to leap on to social media telling the world that they are offended. You should be charged with a Rule 69. Anyone reading your post might think that the sport is full of nancy snowflakes like you. I hope my words have offended you cup cake.

Ha Ha Ha - Grow up son, you are far from sharp enough, bright enough or (strangely) offensive enough to offend me. 

6 hours ago, random said:

Yep and that's where it usually stays.

Yep, and that's what the Sponsors don't want to happen.

You've had some stick and yet you still post Random. In this instance though you have hit the nail on the head.

None of the tossers who criticise the VOR appear to have any idea how sports marketing and sponsorship works.

Give the sponsor a good ROI, improve their public image or generally make it worth their while and they will be back. Do otherwise and they wont.

It's business! No sponsors = no money: No money = no teams: no teams = no race!!! And piss off Volvo Cars and/or Volvo AB and they even have the right to pull the plug altogether.

And it is not as if the likes of the VOR have queues of sponsors stretching down the street after all.

SS

58 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Give the sponsor a good ROI, improve their public image or generally make it worth their while and they will be back. Do otherwise and they wont.

To generate a ROI you need exposure. A bit hard to generate exposure in a blackout and where the Scallyskirts plug was pulled over a week ago, before they hit the finish line. 

The only exposure Scallyskirts are generating for themselves and the VOR at the moment is via vision impaired Randumb with an audience you can count on one hand and who are all keeping sharp objects out of reach. Very odd.

unnamed (8).gif

7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

You've had some stick and yet you still post Random. In this instance though you have hit the nail on the head.

None of the tossers who criticise the VOR appear to have any idea how sports marketing and sponsorship works.

It's business! No sponsors = no money: No money = no teams: no teams = no race!!! And piss off Volvo Cars and/or Volvo AB and they even have the right to pull the plug altogether.

And it is not as if the likes of the VOR have queues of sponsors stretching down the street after all.

SS

No more Volvo cars from a scrotum joke?  

For the general public and a great deal of the sailing community and like most sailing events, the VOR teeters precariously on being dull.  

No audience.  No sponsors.  No race.  

After filming crew and OBR's preparing freeze dried meals for the umpteenth time, a melancholy bowman staring off into the distance or a nav and skipper perplexed by all the colored dots on the laptop screens, what's left that might be remotely interesting to a laymen let alone the seasoned offshore type?  Is a laymen really interested in whether they're flying the MHO or J2?  If you're going to live vicariously through something, you want the "real" experience etc not a fictional distilled representation of it.

I would never suggest that the event turn into a circus or the sailors do anything but race to win.  But to sanitize the Raw content would essentially nullify the whole experiment.  One can only watch so many Albatros, equator crossing antics or sail changes before the whole race becomes redundant.  The audience wants insight, not just into the mechanics of it, but the mental game and above all, and this is what is at the essence of all marketing, the emotional side of it.

Tears, fear, sickness, frustration, joy, pain, relief, loss, anguish, laughter, boredom.  This race is great because it pushes a person to the edge physically, mentally and emotionally, running the gamut of human emotion.

Show it.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, random said:

Oh, so you watch television?  Rots your brain, as you have shown.

So you are capable of producing an insult.

just remember that it's just an insult and not a personal attack. Getting tired of seeing your stupid claims.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Ha Ha Ha - Grow up son, you are far from sharp enough, bright enough or (strangely) offensive enough to offend me. 

Looks like a reply from a offended little snowflake to me. 

How come they haven't hired you? You clearly know everything.

SS

Or it becomes so sterile, even more people switch off??  Which is a very high possibility if it all becomes censored by a committee. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

No more Volvo cars from a scrotum joke? 

So I just imagined all the fuss?  Media blackouts on Witty, videos being pulled and complaints to the organisers?

MMmmmm.  There was no fuss at all?

Carry on then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, random said:

So I just imagined all the fuss?  Media blackouts on Witty, videos being pulled and complaints to the organisers?

MMmmmm.  There was no fuss at all?

Carry on then.

When was the media blackout announced? 

15 minutes ago, mad said:

When was the media blackout announced? 

Words are cheap, I look at the actions, there has been a complete blackout of anything Witty since before they hit the dock.

Videos pulled.

But I like this one ...

On 11/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck Randumb you weren't just dropped at birth, the midwife opened the window. 

Simply because an interview hasn't been uploaded on a Sunday (and first day of rest in 3 weeks for onshore people too), doesn't mean an interview with Witt doesn't exist...be patient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Words are cheap, I look at the actions, there has been a complete blackout of anything Witty since before they hit the dock.

Videos pulled.

But I like this one ...

Simply because an interview hasn't been uploaded on a Sunday (and first day of rest in 3 weeks for onshore people too), doesn't mean an interview with Witt doesn't exist...be patient.

There’s hardly been a word from any team since they hit Cape Town...... seems as if all of them are having a deserved break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, random said:

But I like this one ...

On 11/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, jack_sparrow said:

A lot happens in a week....that's even longer than it took you to land.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

To generate a ROI you need exposure. A bit hard to generate exposure in a blackout and where the Scallyskirts plug was pulled over a week ago, before they hit the finish line. 

Looks like self exile. Whatever, OBR's have a job to do and they take orders from the Pussywheelers, not teams so content has to hit the deck shortly after time off.

10 minutes ago, mad said:

There’s hardly been a word from any team since they hit Cape Town.....

There has been a bit Mad, but mostly non-racing puff pieces on their social media platforms so haven't ended up here. Scallyskirts last orginal (not RO produced, retweets etc) was 9 days ago.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

There has been a bit Mad, but mostly non-racing puff pieces on their social media platforms so haven't ended up here. Scallyskirts last orginal (not RO produced, retweets etc) was 9 days ago.

Exactly, they’ve been honouring their own sponsorship commitments. Scallywag don’t seem to have those same public commitments demanded by the sponsors of the team. 

Or of cause, it’s a huge conspiracy and they’ll be a complete new line up on the boat???

Or as you say, just self exile and taking a break. 

I had a thought along the lines of Witty does a quick boat clean up when still on the water, Dee hits the dock first and at that hour not a lot of media resources, so monopolises it. 

Whitty told he will have to wait around. Witty's reply..fuck off and if you want us we will be at the bar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I had a thought along the lines of Witty does a quick boat clean up when still on the water, Dee hits the dock first and at that hour not a lot of media resources, so monopolises it. 

Whitty told he will have to wait around. Witty's reply..fuck off and if you want us we will be at the bar.

And that’s totally believable and wouldn’t be that surprising. I wouldn’t be in the mood to be hanging around either, speak to me in the morning.  Though I would have thought they’d have nominated a couple of crew or shoe party to do a quick 2-3 minutes if that was the case. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mad said:

And that’s totally believable and wouldn’t be that surprising. I wouldn’t be in the mood to be hanging around either,

After 3 or more weeks at sea arriving at night I can only recall hanging around for customs once...and that was only because the local Guardia had automatic weapons and weren't into smiling. With a shore crew and expedited formalities by the RO I know what I would have done in Witts position..particularly if it avoided having to watch arrival comparisons between you and others on UTube until the day you die.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

After 3 or more weeks at sea arriving at night I can only recall hanging around for customs once...and that was only because the local Guardia had automatic weapons and weren't into smiling. With a shore crew and expedited formalities by the RO I know what I would have done in Witts position..particularly if it avoided having to watch arrival comparisons between you and others on UTube until the day you die.

'the local Guardia'? How the fuck did you spend more than 3 weeks at sea in the Mediterranean? That must have been one slow boat jack...

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Longest ever in the Med between wine and a pizza was probably 3 days..you may be surprised LB but a lot of Latin countries are a long way from the Med.

I know I am just a bit bored this morning.

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

'the local Guardia'? How the fuck did you spend more than 3 weeks at sea in the Mediterranean? That must have been one slow boat jack...

Spent 10 days trying to get out of the med at Christmas one year, it was my soberest Christmas in years. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

Spent 10 days trying to get out of the med at Christmas one year, it was my soberest Christmas in years. 

My wife and I took 2 years to sail from Turkey to France. We did stop a few times though.

Just now, LB 15 said:

My wife and I took 2 years to sail from Turkey to France. We did stop a few times though.

We did a couple of times as well,  generally when it hit 40 knots and a shitload of containers floating in the Gib straits in the same weather. 

Sounds like you had a better trip. 

Just now, mad said:

We did a couple of times as well,  generally when it hit 40 knots and a shitload of containers floating in the Gib straits in the same weather. 

Loved cruising in the Med. Going to go back when I retire. That or buy the farm next door to randumb's and start fracking all his ground water.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Loved cruising in the Med. Going to go back when I retire. That or buy the farm next door to randumb's and start fracking all his ground water.

Facker!!!!   Spat wine everywhere. 

39 minutes ago, mad said:

I took a Pogo 12.50 Hermes from Athens to Messina - Gibralter - Gran Canaria last November/December. Problems with the boat caused them to stick around Las Palmas for a month, I had my fun  and went back to Toronto for the holidays.

We got caught out ina  60 knot system with thousands of lightening strikes about 12 hours out of Greece. Skippers gf crash gybed the boat, almost killed her, etc etc

Did 20 knots a few times once the mayhem was over. All in all about 20 knot windspeed average trip from Athens to Gran Canaria. 

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I can see it now. You & Random doing all the classic regattas DH in matching outfits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

Only went through there once east to west and the needle was nudging 50k, middle of the night and raining. Left with a busted SSB/weather fax. I now know what it feels like to be a ant trying to cross a bowling alley. My sight compass skills improved very quickly that night. The only compensation was getting laid in Gibraltar.

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Only went through there once east to west and the needle was nudging 50k, middle of the night and raining. Left with a busted SSB/weather fax. I now know what it feels like to be a ant trying to cross a bowling alley. My sight compass skills improved very quickly that night. The only compensation was getting laid in Gibraltar.

Eeeuuuuewwww, getting laid in Gib normally takes a course of penicillin for a month!! 

Saw the video and it's clear that no one has any right or reason to be offended, given the warning at the start and that it did not single out any group of persons (not that this should matter)

Anyone who chooses to pretend offence should really get a life!!!

Dr Clogs was clearly not offended, just caught off guard by the "question" and could not come up with a response. Who hasn't been there, done that...  

I'm sure in the context of a small group of people living in close proximity and joking around to kill the time, it was a bit of fun. Admittedly it does lose context  being posted as a stand alone video. 

The video is not appropriate for the official VOR site but if would be fine for the crews humour youtube channel.

• Like 1

Hard to tell if she was offended given that well known Dutch sense of humour. 

I would like to offer a slightly different view on Witty and his now infamous video. I should declare up front i know him and like him, plus I know some of his crew.

I have no problem with that type of banter on board a mixed boat, so long as the women on board have no problem and feel able to comment if they do have a problem. I know women who would find that funny, but I also know women who would find that offensive. I believe there are lots of men who would equally find it uncomfortable if women were joking around about their private parts, but so long as it is all consenting adults, it's OK.

One of the real issues is that in most environments, and in reading above, any woman who found it uncomfortable might well feel they cannot speak out because they risk being considered an outsider who shouldn't be there.

Then consider that we should be trying our best to make sailing equal opportunity and be encouraging women to participate. Is this really the way to be encouraging women to take part? Is this what we want our children to aspire to. i have 2 daughters and I am imagining them at the ages of, say 12 and 15 following the Volvo. I think they would be horrified by what Witty said and that it would significantly reduce the chances of them wanting to take part in a Volvo

While the behaviour might be considered OK on one level, on board. there are so many other levels at which it is wrong and is sending out the wrong message.

I don't "blame" Witty as such. He clearly didn't want women in his crew but realised he needed at least one. In addition, Witty always has been "one of the lads", so such humour is well within character - you know what you are going to get with Witty. He is also the product of one of the most misogynistic societies I have ever lived in, so again, it is not outside the norm. I don't know the answer to this because I hear attitudes in Australia are changing, but I think it is outward behaviour has changed, rather than attitude.

What was totally wrong was to publish that video in the first place. I think there needs to be a strict test - would you play it to a mixed group of Optimist sailors (under 15). I also cannot see this as being the fault of the OBR. If HQ isn't censoring the output, if they haven't issued strict guidelines, they are in the wrong.

Some of you might know I don't come on here very often any more, only for really important issues and I see equal opportunity for women as one such issue. I am passionate about it because 3 out of 4 in my household are women and they deserve equal rights, opportunities and respect. This incident doesn't give them that and is not a good advert for offshore racing for women.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The last time I spent some time with Dutch women was in a hostel in Equador. They had returned from the shops with a penis shaped lollypop and proceeded to share it in front of me. Sadly they did not want a substitute when the lolly was finished :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SimonN said:

I would like to offer a slightly different view on Witty and his now infamous video. I should declare up front i know him and like him, plus I know some of his crew.

I have no problem with that type of banter on board a mixed boat, so long as the women on board have no problem and feel able to comment if they do have a problem. I know women who would find that funny, but I also know women who would find that offensive. I believe there are lots of men who would equally find it uncomfortable if women were joking around about their private parts, but so long as it is all consenting adults, it's OK.

One of the real issues is that in most environments, and in reading above, any woman who found it uncomfortable might well feel they cannot speak out because they risk being considered an outsider who shouldn't be there.

Then consider that we should be trying our best to make sailing equal opportunity and be encouraging women to participate. Is this really the way to be encouraging women to take part? Is this what we want our children to aspire to. i have 2 daughters and I am imagining them at the ages of, say 12 and 15 following the Volvo. I think they would be horrified by what Witty said and that it would significantly reduce the chances of them wanting to take part in a Volvo

While the behaviour might be considered OK on one level, on board. there are so many other levels at which it is wrong and is sending out the wrong message.

I don't "blame" Witty as such. He clearly didn't want women in his crew but realised he needed at least one. In addition, Witty always has been "one of the lads", so such humour is well within character - you know what you are going to get with Witty. He is also the product of one of the most misogynistic societies I have ever lived in, so again, it is not outside the norm. I don't know the answer to this because I hear attitudes in Australia are changing, but I think it is outward behaviour has changed, rather than attitude.

What was totally wrong was to publish that video in the first place. I think there needs to be a strict test - would you play it to a mixed group of Optimist sailors (under 15). I also cannot see this as being the fault of the OBR. If HQ isn't censoring the output, if they haven't issued strict guidelines, they are in the wrong.

Some of you might know I don't come on here very often any more, only for really important issues and I see equal opportunity for women as one such issue. I am passionate about it because 3 out of 4 in my household are women and they deserve equal rights, opportunities and respect. This incident doesn't give them that and is not a good advert for offshore racing for women.

The only issue is what Annemieke Bes aka Dr Clogs thought about it. If she found it uncomfortable, then it was inappropriate and if not, it was perfectly fine. Either way it's no one else's business.

I have a 15 year old niece and I know that if she was to see the video she would say that the comment as "gross" but would not be horrified and may still find it funny in it's grossness. With my own 11 mth old daughter, I hope that when she is old enough to understand the joke she will react like in the same way and when she is an adult she will be like her mum and in the context of being on that boat, find it funny.

I totally agree that women deserve equal rights, opportunities and respect but I also hope she can be equal in a world that has not lost it's sense of humour because the PC police have made us too frightened. 

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Looks like a reply from a offended little snowflake to me. 

ha ha ha ha - Grow up

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

.... given that well known Dutch sense of humour. 

My favourite Dutch Australian, Harry Vander or Johannes Hendrikus Jacob van den Berg together with fellow Dutch born Australian Dick Diamonde or Dingeman Adriaan Henry van der Sluijs (you can see why they changed their names) formed the Australian Band the Easybeats in the mid 60's along with George Young a Scot, Stevie Wright an Englishman and  Gordon Fleet. They all met in a migrant hostel in Sydney. The band only lasted a few years but had some world famous hits including Friday On My Mind.

Harry and George went on to both collaborate together (Flash in the Pan) and write and produce many of Australia's and some instances the worlds top bands and musicians for the next 20 plus years. The list is endless but the standouts were the hard pub rock groups like AC/DC, Rose Tattoo and the Angels.

Many American bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen etc copied this style, but even they said; 'no one could play a guitar like an Australian'.

As to LB's comment about Dutch humour, Harry has the wonderful quirk of saying something humourous, then after what seems like a long pregnant pause, breaks out into a toothy grin, like it was an after thought.

Harry is still with us but unfortunately many of the above have now gone including George Young, his brother Malcolm (ACDC), Stevie Wright, Bon Scott and others. 

Monday must be thread drift day.

45 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Clearly the Dutch have a good sense of humour, why else would they make their capital a place that attracts English idiots to wander the streets stoned looking for a shag?

As Paul Kelly sings  "I paid a woman far too much To kick me out before I'd even reached my goal" Might have been penned about Hamburg, but it's just as accurate about Amsterdam.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Eeeuuuuewwww, getting laid in Gib normally takes a course of penicillin for a month!! 

Not when it's a smoking hot Swedish girl traveling with her 2 hot sisters and parents ..... In fact now that i think of it.... there was also an older French lady involved as well.... ah memories....

On the flip side, I used to collect number plates and late one night while removing a Gib plate from what i thought was a wreck, I was punched in the head by the irate owner and sent packing, breaking my new Vuarnet sunnies... had to wait till Madeira for new ones.... Very rough place as i found out. More than once.

• Like 1

Just now, PIL007 said:

Not when it's a smoking hot Swedish girl traveling with her 2 hot sisters and parents ..... In fact now that i think of it.... there was also an older French lady involved as well.... ah memories....

1 hour ago, mad said:

Often that applies to "hot Swedish girls" regardless of where you get them.

PIL must have been lucky....

What ever you do, DO NOT follow them home to Sweden and live there...

8 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Often that applies to "hot Swedish girls" regardless of where you get them.

PIL must have been lucky....

What ever you do, DO NOT follow them home to Sweden and live there...

10 years later she turned up in Sydney..... Still smoking

33 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Well said SimonN - a voice of reason.

In many cases, indeed in law too, it is the impact and not the intent which is considered important.

I have been called a "snowflake" (whatever that is supposed to mean) by some in this thread for the posts I have made about this subject. I am actually a father of a grown daughter who is more than a little involved in the sailing scene (about to compete in her 6th worlds) and  a wife also professionally involved in the sport. Both were - to avoid further accusations of weakness - let's just say 'less than impressed' that this should be posted on a public domain internet media, and then re-posted by the race organisers.

The impact of this video being posted on the internet (from the feedback received through viewers comments) is clearly not favourable towards the image of the sport of offshore yacht racing particularly regarding mixed gender crews.

I think that whether it was offensive or otherwise is a matter of the opinion of the viewer (impact) and not the sender (intent).

Whether it damages the reputation of our sport in the view of those governing our sport and attempting to attract more females into our sport would be a matter for the rules makers of our sport through an International Jury should such a body be convened.

Of course that partly depends on whether said rules makers are aware of the incident in the first place.

Just saying

SS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonN said:

He is also the product of one of the most relaxed, snowflake and PC bullshit free societies I have ever lived in, 

That's better.

51 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I have been called a "snowflake" (whatever that is supposed to mean) 

In this context 'snowflake' is a name for all you hand wringers that claim how traumatised your women folk are by a bit of oafish behaviour between consenting adults. It was on a video that they didn't have to watch ,didn't involve them, didn't mention them, was not directed at them, and they could have hit the stop button as soon as they felt the first pangs of the trauma that was engulfing them at the mention of the word 'Testical'. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pilchard was that still "smoking",  "smokin" or both?

Ah yes, sorry...... SMOKIN

Wow the world is soft.

The OBR should be given the boot for submitting it. If the crew don't trust them to know the difference between something that can be presented to the world and something that remains on the boat, then they wont say anything.

I think Whitty is a bit of a cowboy though he is a personality the race needs in my opinion. He is what you see. He tells you, in a very Australian way when he is pissed off and tells you when he is happy.

Not everyone is as soft as the European and American PC brigade who get offended with a comment, and per above, being offended doesn't hurt. Get on with life. Don't get offended on behalf of someone. Harden the fuck up.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

In this context 'snowflake' is a name for all you hand wringers that claim how traumatised your women folk are by a bit of oafish behaviour between consenting adults. It was on a video that they didn't have to watch ,didn't involve them, didn't mention them, was not directed at them, and they could have hit the stop button as soon as they felt the first pangs of the trauma that was engulfing them at the mention of the word 'Testical'. 

Spoken like a true Aussie dipshit. Witt intended to offended, and he set up a woman as the basis of the joke, at her expense.

of course, it seems a big percentage of Aussies are cool with treating women as 3rd class citizens, second being reserved for your sheep.

i was jus offended because Witt is a fucking asshole on the world stage, and making sailing looking low class.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Swanno said:

Wow the world is soft.

The OBR should be given the boot for submitting it. If the crew don't trust them to know the difference between something that can be presented to the world and something that remains on the boat, then they wont say anything.

I think Whitty is a bit of a cowboy though he is a personality the race needs in my opinion. He is what you see. He tells you, in a very Australian way when he is pissed off and tells you when he is happy.

Not everyone is as soft as the European and American PC brigade who get offended with a comment, and per above, being offended doesn't hurt. Get on with life. Don't get offended on behalf of someone. Harden the fuck up.

Fuck you.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Spoken like a true Aussie dipshit.

Suntan this must have really sent your head into a spin then..

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Many American bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen etc copied this style, but even they said; 'no one could play a guitar like an Australian'.

30 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

i was jus offended 

I got a nasty red wine jus with a rare steak the other day and i was quite offended. Oh and...

2 hours ago, PIL007 said:

10 years later she turned up in Sydney..... Still smoking

Jus NEVER follow them to Sweden.....NEVER!!!!

52 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Spoken like a true Aussie dipshit. Witt intended to offended, and he set up a woman as the basis of the joke, at her expense.

of course, it seems a big percentage of Aussies are cool with treating women as 3rd class citizens, second being reserved for your sheep.

i was jus offended because Witt is a fucking asshole on the world stage, and making sailing looking low class.

I didn't know you are one of the crew on Scallywag, because that is the only way you could know that the joke was at her expense. 

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

A true Aussie dipshit? Clearly that is a stupid comment that says more about you than who you are trying to rag, so all Aussies are dipshits? 

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

ha ha ha ha - Grow up

And again.