• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
southerncross

Wanted Missing VOR Skipper

1 minute ago, pudge said:

I will say this again that these are paid professionals hands. This is their office job site, pull this shit in any corporate office worksite  in the free world and see what happens. 

not to put too fine a point on it, but this is not "office work" it's field work, and quite often field crews develop camaraderie that comes from shared experiences and living together. That does not excuse boorish behavior, but it certainly goes a long way towards explaining it. The question is perhaps better directed at the "Office" staff who posted this rather than the field staff who recorded it. 

• Like 2

Throwing buckets of cold water over people and feeding them freeze dried food in an office wouldn't go down very well either.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SimonN said:

most women subjected to sexual harassment

If you think what you saw in that video is "sexual harassment", you need help. Soon.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 12:16 AM, Last Post said:

Could  this possibly attract a Rule 69 infringement prosecution for bringing the sport into disrepute. There is no time limit on that.

Witt is widely understood to be  in disrepute but there is no need for him to infect the whole sport with his puerile and offensive behaviour.

As LP was saying...

There's a long back story to this regarding Witt's motivation to do the VOR in the first place, 

Questions.....

How come no one is offended about the stereotyping of a male being the raging psychopath in the mask...?  

How the fuck (hope this word doesn't offend) do people like Random, Pudge and Simon N have the inside scoop on how AB was affected or what roll she played in this...? Is It from what they perceived from the vid...?  I assume they have evidence or a statement from her or something ... ??   Help me out here

This thread has been fun and has not only educated me as to who will make the "Ignore" list for the next leg but as to how many sad individuals there are that go through life wasting energy on being offended by others.... or worrying about shit they can't change....  

PS:  NORbowchick... You can come sailing anytime.... you are a breath of reality and common sense ....

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, SimonN said:

I agree you are entitled to your personal view, but you are mistaken that the only opinion you should respect on this is from Annemieke. There are 2 reasons for this. First, most women subjected to sexual harassment do not speak out for any number of reasons. It is considered one of the biggest issues in stamping out this type of behaviour, using the "she didn't mind" excuse. Secondly, the issue isn't how Annemieke reacted or what she thought. It is that 2 men deliberately planned a course of action to get a reaction from a woman by using inappropriate content. The fact so many others have reacted negatively tells us it was inappropriate. 

Now you are just being naive. Why do you think they said "scrotum" and not chest, or ankle or any other part of the body. 

Supressive technique doesn’t work on me. We all know that scrotum will make more people laugh than a chest. Making laughs was the intention of the video. 

This whole thing being sexual harassment is your opinion. There’s no objective definition. And from the feedback Magenta got I’m not the only female which thought it was innocent fun either. 

It doesn’t make it a harassment just because it might have been planned. 

• Like 1

for what its worth: 

US govt definition

Sexual Harassment

It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.

Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

8 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Questions.....

How come no one is offended about the stereotyping of a male being the raging psychopath 

PS:  NORbowchick... You can come sailing anytime.... you are a breath of reality and common sense ....

Good point :) 

Well I’m just used to being in mixed crews and actually half the charm is that it makes it possible to make innocent fun with each other. And that’s how I see this video. 

Feel free to invite me to S2H, Hamilton race week, etc - with all the vacation we get here in Scandinavistan we need to fill it with some races :) considering the Caribbean 600 in February but with an all female crew and I don’t like how that turns into a gender battle. 

Oh, you were just being polite I guess ;)

4 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

but with an all female crew and I don’t like how that turns into a gender battle.

??? you don't say...

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Good point :) 

Well I’m just used to being in mixed crews and actually half the charm is that it makes it possible to make innocent fun with each other. And that’s how I see this video. 

Feel free to invite me to S2H, Hamilton race week, etc - with all the vacation we get here in Scandinavistan we need to fill it with some races :) considering the Caribbean 600 in February but with an all female crew and I don’t like how that turns into a gender battle. 

Oh, you were just being polite I guess ;)

The boat I sail on has pulled out of the S to H... bummer.

If i were the owner (which I'm not ATM) your ticket would have already been purchased for all upcoming events..

You are welcome to come down and deliver a couple back from Hobart if that's you thing...lodgings / food provided..

1 hour ago, PIL007 said:

How the fuck (hope this word doesn't offend) do people like Random, Pudge and Simon N have the inside scoop on how AB was affected or what roll she played in this...? Is It from what they perceived from the vid...?  I assume they have evidence or a statement from her or something ... ??   Help me out here

It's called Rule 69.  Protest on and complaints from at least one other organisation that matters.

Your opinion, nor the opinions of anyone else here matters.  My comments have always been on the stupidity of letting that content off the boat, shows lack of situational awareness and maturity.

6 minutes ago, random said:

It's called Rule 69.  Protest on and complaints from at least one other organisation that matters.

Your opinion, nor the opinions of anyone else here matters.  My comments have always been on the stupidity of letting that content off the boat, shows lack of situational awareness and maturity.

Disagree. Also, you just described 90% of what gets posted in these forums.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbc said:

Disagree. Also, you just described 90% of what gets posted in these forums.

1. So it was a clever thing to do?

2, This forum has rules, break them, you get booted.  It's not governed by Volvo and the RRS.

Situational awareness required.

15 hours ago, random said:

Maybe your words on this subject would be taken more seriously if you changed the words in your profile.

Been doing a little stalking mate?

Wow I wake up and see this thread has jumped a couple of pages. My immediate reaction was randumb was threatening to jump out the window and you were all either talking him down or telling him he had wings.

Looks as the the Pussywheelers (great name choice in retrospect) are after the double of both opening up offshore sailing to women and now putting it back 10 years. Great job lads.

Like it or not this will have a richochet effect through the sport, right down to beer can racing. Forrests will be felled with the writing of policies, harrassment officers will be appointed etc etc. 

The net result will be women left ashore pondering what might have been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Been doing a little stalking mate?

No, but if I was it would be the stalking the opposite sex, unlike you. I thought I felt something cold on my freckle just before ... it must have been your nose again.  Give it a break mate, people are talking about your obsession, and here you are again!

2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

not to put too fine a point on it, but this is not "office work" it's field work, and quite often field crews develop camaraderie that comes from shared experiences and living together. That does not excuse boorish behavior, but it certainly goes a long way towards explaining it. The question is perhaps better directed at the "Office" staff who posted this rather than the field staff who recorded it. 

Wrong. These are professional athletes not some half-ass delivery crew of dreamers, they represent a professional sport that should've been all inclusive for the last 30 years and should act accordingly. The skipper of this boat should be chastised (which sounds like is already happening).

I don't know what boat the defenders of these actions sail on, but every boat I have ever worked on,  we have treated every female member equally and show them the same amount of respect we would show our mothers - and anyone that hasn't was shown the door pretty goddamn fast.  

2 hours ago, PIL007 said:

Questions.....

How come no one is offended about the stereotyping of a male being the raging psychopath in the mask...?  

This thread has been fun and has not only educated me as to who will make the "Ignore" list for the next leg but as to how many sad individuals there are that go through life wasting energy on being offended by others.... or worrying about shit they can't change....  

If the cap fits....

I'd say at times I concern myself about stuff I can't necessarily change but the rest of the time I just get on with it. I'm sure that's very interesting - not.....

9 minutes ago, pudge said:

I don't know what boat the defenders of these actions sail on, but every boat I have ever worked on,  we have treated every female member equally and show them the same amount of respect we would show our mothers 

All here, defenders included as you call them, would agree with you. The problem here is Bessie (who for all we know is horrified at where this has ended up) is not the one who has filed the Rule 69. Big difference.

Second thing is this would not be an issue other than for unedited live feeds coming off the boats. That lovely feature is now as dead as a doorstop.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

All here, defenders included as you call them, would agree with you. The problem here is Bessie (who for all we know is horrified at where this has ended up) is not the one who has filed the Rule 69. Big difference.

Second thing is this would not be an issue other than for unedited live feeds coming off the boats. That lovely feature is now as dead as a doorstop.

Why? Because someone chose to lodge a protest? (Noting, too, that the videos aren't unedited live feeds. They're videos that are shot and edited by the OBR before being uploaded. If the race organization wants to give the OBRs new/updated guidelines about what they should and shouldn't be uploading, they can just do that. No need to throw the baby out with the Southern Ocean bathwater.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Personally, I think this an opportunity to show the world that this behavior is not tolerated and female crewmembers are just as invaluable as their male counterparts. 

2 minutes ago, jbc said:

(Noting, too, that the videos aren't unedited live feeds. They're videos that are shot and edited by the OBR before being uploaded.

Off course they are edited on board. I'm not into stating the bleeding obvious but for you an exception .....not edited on shore.

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

The Aware Officer?  That's just it.  There's no end to it.  What authority, what rule book can be written, outlining what will offend who in this overly sensitive environment?  Someone, somewhere will be offended by something.  The opposition is to the degree to which his nonsense has gone.  The result will be nothing of any human interest or value coming off the boats.

Randumb is being a particularly trolling arseclown in this thread. Whilst not himself offended, he is cheering for the team that are. He is  no different to the millions of people who never played football but idolise their side. Randumb - head cheerleader of the PCFC or as it is more commonly know - Arseclown United.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, random said:

No, but if I was it would be the stalking the opposite sex, unlike you. I thought I felt something cold on my freckle just before ... it must have been your nose again.  Give it a break mate, people are talking about your obsession, and here you are again!

'People are talking about my obsession'? What are you channeling Donald Trump now?  A gay joke, and arse sniffing joke and then a lecture? Outstanding.

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

NORBowGirl will be welcome to crew on my boat, not for the sudocream, but her sense of humour would fit in. Most importantly having her onboard would motivate my partner to crew on some races as there would be an extra social dimension to being onboard.

Exactly the point, and I’m stilling wading through this one. 

Life in the Volvo/Big brother experience seems to have backfired spectacularly. 

Maybe Witty was right, an engineered social experiment. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Anything which gets people talking can't be all bad so long it doesn't turn into an agreement racket or witch/ wizard hunt (PC) - Substitute nouns as required.. 

• Like 1

Well this shit has obviously been the missing piece in the puzzle of the Scallyskirts media block out and the switch being pulled before they hit the dock. 

This Rule 69 hearing will be of farcical proportions if there is no complaint from Bessie.

5 hours ago, SimonN said:

The more I hear about what happened, the more I believe that many of you need to get your heads out of your arses. According to the reports, a group of men rehearsed a a skit that they then sprung on the only female in the crew. It doesn't matter how she reacted. it was done specifically to see how she would react. That is harassment, pure and simple.

If it had been banter that got out of hand with comments comments came out in the spur of the moment, while not acceptable, it is excusable. But make no mistake. Now it seems likely that it was premeditated and they knew what they were doing, there are absolutely no excuses. You cannot even take the reaction as evidence it is acceptable. I have watched and i cannot tell if the reaction is shock, disbelief, resigned acceptance of poor behaviour or even fully happy to be part of it, but that is irrelevant. The event that is wrong has already taken place.

Just to be clear. A premeditated attempt to get a get a reaction from a woman by using explicit and lewd material is sexual harassment. It is that simple.The reaction of the woman is irrelevant. The location is irrelevant. The fact they are a mixed crew on a racing boat is irrelevant. This is not PC gone crazy or people needing to harden up. This was sexual harassment. If you cannot get that, then you are part of the problem.

Get a grip mate- you will wring all the skin off your hands over this. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SimonN said:

This is not PC gone crazy or people needing to harden up. This was sexual harassment. If you cannot get that, then you are part of the problem.

Let me guess...you wear a blind fold gardening?

2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well this shit has obviously been the missing piece in the puzzle of the Scallyskirts media block out and the switch being pulled before they hit the dock. 

This Rule 69 hearing will be of farcical proportions if there is no complaint from Bessie.

Hopefully, however there is the whole thing about bringing the sport into disrepute and sad to say quoting R and sating Prude, the bean counters may have some influence over the IJ.

Can't imagine Witty will attempt a repeat performance, well at least not before the last leg..

40 minutes ago, pudge said:

Personally, I think this an opportunity to show the world that this behavior is not tolerated and female crewmembers are just as invaluable as their male counterparts. 

How is this video showing that she is not as invaluable?

Sounds like you are clutching at straws so you can fake offence.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, random said:

1. So it was a clever thing to do?

2, This forum has rules, break them, you get booted.  It's not governed by Volvo and the RRS.

Situational awareness required.

I'm saying it's not as simple as an explicit onboard decision to "let that content off the boat". Unless you're talking specifically about the OBR, I don't think there's currently a mechanism in place to have every piece of content go through a "release/don't release" decision-making process. And I think the system in which that review/approval step doesn't exist works that way for a reason, and that reason needs to be considered if you're deciding whether or not it was "clever" for that video to be allowed off the boat.

To put it another way, I don't think Witty or the central VOR media team or those they report to in the organization have been actively pre-approving video content as it comes off the boat. So they weren't explicitly deciding "yes, this content is good; let it go." (Well, I guess Witty staged the whole thing for the camera, so he at least was "approving" it in that sense. And Hayles spoke his line without obvious coercion, and he must have been aware that this was likely to go off the boat as well. If that's the sense in which you were talking, then yeah, you have a point there.)

I see the OBR as the primary gatekeeper in this situation, at least as it currently is supposed to work with the Raw Content feed. And for an OBR to decide that something is worth including in the uploaded video doesn't necessarily mean they're endorsing it. They're a reporter, documenting what's happening. That Witty and Steve would stage that and (presumably) surprise Annemieke with the Sudocrem line was something that happened on the boat, and speaking for myself, I'm glad that, given that it happened, we outside the boat got a chance to see it. So in that (limited) sense I guess I'd say yeah, it was "clever". But I'm not endorsing what happened. Nor am I voicing umbrage that it happened. That's a whole separate debate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

How is this video showing that she is not as invaluable?

Sounds like you are clutching at straws so you can fake offence.

Actually that was my closing argument.

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

17 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Hopefully, however there is the whole thing about bringing the sport into disrepute and sad to say quoting R and sating Prude, the bean counters may have some influence over the IJ.

Woger rest assured Scallywag will be lawyered up. In the event the Pussywheelers don't have in place appropriate on-board conduct policies including that for their OBR's raw feed material, and internaly for the material they put on-line, then they may well regret opening the lid on this.

This timeline look right? Just trying to figure out where MT fits in.

--Vid published 11/9/2017 Nov 9 (correct?)

--Mark Turner announced he was stepping down (on Nov 14 Live )

--Complaint lodged, sometime during leg 2. (date? )

Someone decided there was enough to call in an EDIO ( couple of days to decide and canvass who might be available?)

EDIO decides to come and gather evidence (travel plus several days? more?)

EDIO has already decided there's enough to present to the IJ Thursday, according to Sailing Illustrated

Event Disciplinary Investigation Officer ("EDIO") – the person who looked into the matter after complaints from people not associated with the event and decided there was a basis for filing the protest against Witt and Hayles that will be heard this Thursday in Cape Town – longtime international judge and umpire John Doerr

I find it rather funny how patronising the "offended" and "sexual harassment" posters are to AB.

You think you are defending her, but all you are doing is saying that you think that she is a weak female who cannot hold her own in a man's world and is only on the crew as some token fluff. 

I suspect that AB would be offended by the people who feel that need to defend her from the evil Witt and Hayles duo. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I suspect that AB would be offended by the people who feel that need to defend her from the evil Witt and Hayles duo. 

True Hopster and she would remind everyone she had a ride on the Pussywagon, stepped off and joined Scallyskirts, having sailed with Witt and some on board before. She knew, understood and had no difficulty at all with expecting the expected. 

She is the meat in this shit sandwich, and doesn't deserve to be there, thanks to third parties thinking they were doing sailing, and women's sailing in particular a service by launching this Rule 69. 

I'm assuming Dawn Riley is either the instigator or at least a supporter of this protest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wow I wake up and see this thread has jumped a couple of pages. My immediate reaction was randumb was threatening to jump out the window and you were all either talking him down or telling him he had wings.

Looks as the the Pussywheelers (great name choice in retrospect) are after the double of both opening up offshore sailing to women and now putting it back 10 years. Great job lads.

Like it or not this will have a richochet effect through the sport, right down to beer can racing. Forrests will be felled with the writing of policies, harrassment officers will be appointed etc etc. 

Actually, the writing of policies has been taking place for a couple of years inside ISAF/WS.  All the new disciplinary rules made something like this inevitable - we now have the morality police inside WS. Changing it from "gross misconduct" to just "misconduct" and shoving a couple of pages of new rules in place about this made certain that a rule 69 for some relatively minor social infraction would happen.

Personally, I'm not all that offended by the use of the words - but as SimonN says, it seems pretty damn clear that Witt set up a female to be the basis of a sexually oriented joke.  And that's just flat out wrong.

It was also a lame ass video - not even remotely funny.  It was not the actions of a professional in the least. Maybe Witt is sailing on an owners dime, and the sponsors they have are just in-kind, or whatever.  But Volvo wants to sell cars globally, and they don't need to have a poor attempt at sexual humor tarnishing their brand - or that of other teams and their sponsors in the event.

This is a business decision as much as anything.   For all the recreational sailors who are saying grow a pair - you must not have any idea how hard it is get a huge sponsor, and then keep them happy.

I hope Witt gets hung by his scrotum.  Would teach him a good lesson.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Let me guess...you wear a blind fold gardening?

2.jpeg

46B8A5CE00000578-0-image-a-1_1511732378083.jpg

d428f509576167fc493d0179479a5a3c.jpg

2 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

Actually, the writing of policies has been taking place for a couple of years inside ISAF/WS.  All the new disciplinary rules made something like this inevitable - we now have the morality police inside WS. Changing it from "gross misconduct" to just "misconduct" and shoving a couple of pages of new rules in place about this made certain that a rule 69 for some relatively minor social infraction would happen.

Personally, I'm not all that offended by the use of the words - but as SimonN says, it seems pretty damn clear that Witt set up a female to be the basis of a sexually oriented joke.  And that's just flat out wrong.

It was also a lame ass video - not even remotely funny.  It was not the actions of a professional in the least. Maybe Witt is sailing on an owners dime, and the sponsors they have are just in-kind, or whatever.  But Volvo wants to sell cars globally, and they don't need to have a poor attempt at sexual humor tarnishing their brand - or that of other teams and their sponsors in the event.

This is a business decision as much as anything.   For all the recreational sailors who are saying grow a pair - you must not have any idea who hard it is get a huge sponsor, and then keep them happy.

I hope Witt gets hung by his scrotum.  Would teach him a good lesson.

There should be an amendment to the rule thus.

Rule 69.1

b. Misconduct is

1. conduct that is a breach of good manners, a breach of good sportsmanship, or unethical behaviour; or
  2. conduct that may bring the sport into disrepute with reasonable, inteligent adults.
  3. conduct that may bring the sport into disrepute among the precious, hand wringing, thin skinned, PC loving, snowflake chattering classes
  • Like 1

Peter Hutson

Your reference to Professional drew to mind the difference between the output from the boasts at the front (esp MAPF) compared to those at the back.

Also draws to mind the actions of past English rugby, football and cricket team troubles with understanding the deal as far as their commercial responsibilities versus behavior off the pitch/ field

Just thinking aloud....

I'd like to propose a possible scenario, which may go some way to explaining why this skit occurred.

As anyone who has actually been on a boat in a seaway for more than a day knows, gunnel-bum and crotch rot are serious problems.  If personal hygiene is not up to scratch, and either are left untreated for the weeks these guys are at sea, you're looking at pain and infection.

Now - I suspect what may have happened is that the two young (inexperienced?) lads were chatting about how their arses hurt (no, not cabin-boy antics you lot in the back row) , and Witt and Hayles thought it'd be a funny way to teach them how to address the issue with some self-administered first aid.

Annamieke, being an Olympic sailor, Bachelor in Sport, Health and Management, RYA Yachtmaster and Sailing Coach, probably has more than her fair share of experience of both chafe and first aid, so she was called to assist in the class.

It doesn't explain the guy in the gimp mask, but that doesn't appear to have offended anyone (yet).  I suspect Random was aroused by it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Peter Hutson

Your reference to Professional drew to mind the difference between the output from the boasts at the front (esp MAPF) compared to those at the back.

Also draws to mind the actions of past English rugby, football and cricket team troubles with understanding the deal as far as their commercial responsibilities versus behavior off the pitch/ field

Just thinking aloud....

This happened on the pitch. Just like that fuckhead Broad getting in the Australian captains face yesterday. It's sport. Grow a pair.

41 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

Thought I might actually see a good post from you, but... what follows, quoting SimonN, is so offensive that I refuse to quote it or even comment on it. Did you consult Dirk on this poor Dr. Clogs who at the last moment was laughing so much that she just couldn't get the Sudocrem out to show exactly how to apply it ?

Go play and piss in your buddy-buddy Tom's sandpit.

And yeah, I am hiding behind a screen name, in case you forget to mention that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stief said:

This timeline look right? Just trying to figure out where MT fits in.

--Vid published 11/9/2017 Nov 9 (correct?)

--Mark Turner announced he was stepping down (on Nov 14 Live )

--Complaint lodged, sometime during leg 2. (date? )

Someone decided there was enough to call in an EDIO ( couple of days to decide and canvass who might be available?)

EDIO decides to come and gather evidence (travel plus several days? more?)

EDIO has already decided there's enough to present to the IJ Thursday, according to Sailing Illustrated

Stifler you should write who dunnit fiction. Love how you have drawn Turner's departure into this.

Of greater interest I believe is why the RO is not joined to this third party protest about misconduct and bringing the sport into disrepute. The RO are afterall the publisher of the material and one of their employees, the OBR is responsible for generating the material in conjunction with some related parties?

The current process is akin to suing a newspaper reporter for defamation but not joining the publisher in that action. 

This whole thing stinks to high heaven of pass the 69 parcel and the music stopped at "those on board".

• Like 1

Oh dear and the game goes on... video, sexism, commercial interest, ROI, misconduct .........................

Racing starts in a day or three interspersed with the jury soap opera..

LB - my balls are probably past their best..

Keep it up..

Well past midnight here.

• Like 1

Speaking of the pair, does anyone believe that the scrotum, of all the sexual organs, would be used for sexual harassment?  Look at the bloody thing!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Stifler you should write who dunnit fiction. Love how you have drawn Turner's departure into this.

Of greater interest I believe is why the RO is not joined to this third party protest about misconduct and bringing the sport into disrepute. The RO are afterall the publisher of the material and one of their employees, the OBR is responsible for generating the material in conjunction with some related parties?

The current process is akin to suing a newspaper reporter for defamation but not joining the publisher in that action. 

This whole thing stinks to high heaven of pass the 69 parcel and the music stopped at "those on board".

I think  the VOR is in the clear here. They explicitly stated back in July that the public would be able to access the Raw content as soon as it arrived, and repeated that message in the Lives several times, IIRC. Link is a few badges back. Brian Carlin, the head of the OBRs (remember his swearing in the Vestas crash vid when he was their OBR?) might have to fall on his sword, but we haven't heard any hint of that and I doubt he'd go gentle into that good bye. 

I wanted to ask jbc earlier which boat Konrad Frost (the OBR) will be on. I suspect he'll be let go. SI also stated that only Witt and Hayles were to be called into the protest, not the OBR and SHKS shore person.  Don't think we'll hear much more from them.

Mostly I'm just trying to figure out what this situation tells us about the new management, and so how to watch the next legs. Raw Content and the RaceExperts are great, but maybe made us lazy and dependent on them for our daily fodder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stief said:

SI also stated that only Witt and Hayles were to be called into the protest, not the OBR and SHKS shore person. 

If the OBR (a RO employee) is now off the hook, then the stink just gets stronger.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

I'm giving the "There's a Bunny in Your Head Award" for Leg 2  jointly to the dimwitted who lodged this 69er and RO for their response. 

Nope. Glad, as jbc said in the other thread, this is coming out into the open. Tell it like it is. If the standard is to change (sheesh--last year, even, who would have believed Clean could have written  that prologue to the 2 girls and their dogs FP post!), fine. Don't shoot the messenger.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

If the OBR (a RO employee) is now off the hook, then the stink just gets stronger.

Yep. We need the Cape Doctor.

46 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Speaking of the pair, does anyone believe that the scrotum, of all the sexual organs, would be used for sexual harassment?  Look at the bloody thing!  

What, are you a virgin ?

see this Dutch school forum: https://forum.scholieren.com/showthread.php?t=1334398

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teabagging

As a sexual practice, "teabagging" refers to a man dipping his testicles into the mouth of his partner as a form of oral sex; thus his partner was "teabagged". Sometimes teabagging is taken to specifically mean the act of a male stripper repeatedly tapping and grinding his testicles into a patron's forehead. In this case the patron was "teabagged."

And even better:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=plompzakken

plompzakken
plompzakken is a dutch sex act where the woman where's a belt around her waist which she pulls tight. After which the vagina spreads open very wide and the man is able to put both his cock and his balls inside her. 
Accidents have happened during plompzakken, where the belt snapped and the man is trapped with his dick and scrotum inside the woman. This is, needless to say, very tight, and not without pain.

Harassment or embarrassment, I dunno, but Ask Annemieke for any further instructions:   https://www.facebook.com/annemieke.bes?ref=br_rs

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stief said:

Nope. Glad, as jbc said in the other thread, this is coming out into the open. Tell it like it is. If the standard is to change

Stief I don't disagree. 

However what should have occured upon receipt of the third party 69er, the Pussywheelers should have said they were jointly responsible for putting in place and administering the raw content platform along with the team, therefore by rights should be joined to this complaint. I suspect it may have ended then if they showed some balls.

They didn't and passed the buck by picking the lowest hanging fruit, being Witts balls.

• Like 1

Fiji Freak is a better nom de plume.  Anyway, plompzakken doesn't count because it includes the dick.

• Like 1

Sorry I can't and won't read this whole thread but did the female crew member Witty offended complain? Witty is not Robinson Caruso when it comes to males making sexist remarks and I still haven't heard Witty's comments so I have no opinion. In future generations this sort of thing will be extinct but the older generation are stuck in their ways and will not change overnight. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, not an excuse but fact

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Stief I don't disagree. 

However what should have occured upon receipt of the third party 69er, the Pussywheelers should have said they were jointly responsible for putting in place and administering the raw content platform along with the team, therefore by rights should be joined to this complaint.

They didn't and passed the buck to the lowest hanging fruit, being Witts balls.

Got it. Ironic how we were discussing the tiny little factors that might make a difference for a team a little while ago, and then this. No boat carnage, but rather teams , their shore support and the RO being tested to the mental extreme. 

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm giving the "There's a Bunny in Your Head Award" for Leg 2  jointly to the dimwitted who lodged this 69er and RO for their response. 

unnamed (3).gif

is that the rockstar RC sailor ?

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Sorry I can't and won't read this whole thread but did the female crew member Witty offended complain? Witty is not Robinson Caruso when it comes to males making sexist remarks and I still haven't heard Witty's comments so I have no opinion. In future generations this sort of thing will be extinct but the older generation are stuck in their ways and will not change overnight. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, not an excuse but fact

Just search for NOrBowGirl posts. That should give the pic.

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Fiji Freak is a better nom de plume.  Anyway, plompzakken doesn't count because it includes the dick.

Good one for next permitted change !

Meanwhile we stick to Teabagging for now, and keep the other problem organs for the next 9 legs. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PIL007 said:

How the fuck (hope this word doesn't offend) do people like Random, Pudge and Simon N have the inside scoop on how AB was affected

I have no idea how AB was affected, but it is totally irrelevant. When it comes to sexual harassment, or even sexual assaults, the reaction of the person it was aimed at does not in any way mitigate the behaviour.  

To be clear on this, the skit was an ambush planned to get a reaction, whatever that reaction might have been. It was then broadcast. That is not behaviour I want to be associated with. I am pretty certain if that had happened in an office in London, the people involved would have been dismissed on the spot. The Volvo is a professional race and the behaviours need to match. In this case it does not.

Has it brought the sport into disrepute? Maybe.Consider the non sailing mother of a 1-14 year old daughter finding that daughter watching the video on the Volvo website. My bet would be that most mothers would be pretty upset by it (after answering the question of "what is a scrotum!")

The number of people on here who do not realise that this behaviour is unacceptable highlights why we have an issue with harassment in society today. You cannot tolerate any such behaviour, because as soon as you do, you open up to all sorts of excuses. I don't know many on here, but I would be surprised if more than one or two would actually behave like this even though they are saying it was acceptable. This is about basic respect. It is that simple.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, SimonN said:

. That is not behaviour I want to be associated with.

And how are you associated with the volvo race? Wannabe fan boy is not an association. So dry your eyes princess and try to move past your deep personal hurt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SimonN said:

My bet would be that most mothers would be pretty upset by it (after answering the question of "what is a scrotum!")

Of course they don't know what a scrotum is.  All their friends refer to them as balls, don't you know.

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Of course they don't know what a scrotum is.  All their friends refer to them as balls, don't you know.

I think you might have touched on SimonNoballs issue...

33 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

is that the rockstar RC sailor ?

Until this fiasco he was the top contender. It is a leg by leg award so I'm quite sure he won't miss out on one or even a warren full.

6 minutes ago, SimonN said:

office in London

sailing mother of a 1-14 year old daughter 

"what is a scrotum!"

more than one or two 

It is that simple.

OMG, I have only one word to say, seriously: "Ignore"

And while I am at it:  Et tu Randumbo.

It is that simple...

• Like 1

Watched the video (its on Facebook). Had a laugh and got on with life.

Imagine if they had excluded one of the crew from the skit? Imagine the outrage.

1 hour ago, SimonN said:

The number of people on here who do not realise that this behaviour is unacceptable highlights why we have an issue with harassment in society today.

How so?? Sailing has been at pointy end of acceptable behaviour...like figurehead competitions are not what they used to be.

images (27).jpeg

images (26).jpeg

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

How so?? Sailing has been at pointy end of acceptable behaviour...like figurehead competitions are not what they used to be.

images (27).jpeg

images (26).jpeg

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:
  1 hour ago, SimonN said:

The number of people on here who do not realise that this behaviour is unacceptable highlights why we have an issue with harassment in society today.

Such a stupid comment SimonN. Rather than sook in these forums put a complaint in with the Volvo race Organizers. Or message David Witt. This is Sailing Anarchy.! 

anarchy
ˈanəki/
noun

1. 1.
    a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
    "he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
    synonyms: lawlessness, absence of government, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, riot, rebellion, mutiny, disorder, disorganization, misrule, chaos, tumult, turmoil, mayhem, pandemonium
    "the country is threatened with anarchy"

2. 2.
    absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

5 hours ago, pudge said:

Wrong. These are professional athletes not some half-ass delivery crew of dreamers, they represent a professional sport that should've been all inclusive for the last 30 years and should act accordingly. The skipper of this boat should be chastised (which sounds like is already happening).

I don't know what boat the defenders of these actions sail on, but every boat I have ever worked on,  we have treated every female member equally and show them the same amount of respect we would show our mothers - and anyone that hasn't was shown the door pretty goddamn fast.  

Yeah, treating a super competent sailor like AB like your mother instead of treating her like a fellow crew member will do heaps for women equality in the sport of sailing.... And sexual harassment? FFS, have you even watched the video?

• Like 5