• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Glenn McCarthy

Atlantic Crossing on a 23' Star Boat

Meh, he seems prepared enough.  Boat is obviously not a star anymore, but it is star shaped more or less.  as long as he keeps it keel side down he should be ok.  My german is a little rusty, did he add more ballast?     

Well, if you can sleep in a coffin then I guess you are good to go.  :huh:

I did the Newport to Bermuda race in 1984 when I was 18 - shitty conditions: 20- 30+ on the nose for a few days after the stream - then not so much wind. return delivery was posh on a single tack with only 4 on board. anyways...

Maybe I'm just old or not as old as the off watch guy below but once dockside I had a long toothed, gray haired veteran tell me 4 things (Dark and Stormies where involved -  clearly):

1: never sail on an ocean, on a boat shorter in length than your years of age

2: If you own the boat never go before the mast.

3: Give buckets to the youngest on board and tell them if you don't bail fast, the boat will sink.

4: The classic "Never step down into a life raft'.

Wise words, me thinks...

Why bother? Webb Chiles did it better a long time ago - and recently for that matter.

8 hours ago, Liquid said:

I did the Newport to Bermuda race in 1984 when I was 18 - shitty conditions: 20- 30+ on the nose for a few days after the stream - then not so much wind. return delivery was posh on a single tack with only 4 on board. anyways...

Maybe I'm just old or not as old as the off watch guy below but once dockside I had a long toothed, gray haired veteran tell me 4 things (Dark and Stormies where involved -  clearly):

3: Give buckets to the youngest on board and tell them if you don't bail fast, the boat will sink.

Wise words, me thinks...

wow Liquid, this is starting to get expensive for me...

Well.. not sailing but... two Finnish guys crossed atlantic with 4,3 meter sportsboat (Marino Mustang) in seventies..

4 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Yes,  and you could cross Death Valley on a Pogo Stick,  but Fuckin' WHY ????

I heard some guys went from Ecuador to Fiji in a balsa raft.  Who gives a shit? 

A wee squall and Star guy would be chum.  Luck is for the stupid. 

29 minutes ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

I heard some guys went from Ecuador to Fiji in a balsa raft.  Who gives a shit? 

A wee squall and Star guy would be chum.  Luck is for the stupid. 

The Star had a cut-down rig; enclosed, albeit cramped, cabin;  and a small cockpit. Looked reasonably seaworthy for trade wind crossing.

28 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I think someone already crossed the Atlantic in a beach cat.

People crossed the Atlantic in the 70's in 7ft bathtubs.  I discourage the practice.  

1 hour ago, h20man said:

I know.. that is why I gave the link in the response: http://users.tpg.com.au/kkmiller/hobie/across_atlantic.html   (just to be clearer).... 

Yet they were 'experienced' and claim they would NOT do it again.

Yea, a beach cat is risky. A Star prepared for the voyage much less so. Probably safer than some other choices, although definitely cramped. Think I would have built a small doghouse or raised cabin in the forward cockpit area he just decked over. At least for sitting room. Cutting down rig a good move, last thing he needed in trade winds was sail area.

11 hours ago, h20man said:

I know.. that is why I gave the link in the response: http://users.tpg.com.au/kkmiller/hobie/across_atlantic.html   (just to be clearer).... 

Yet they were 'experienced' and claim they would NOT do it again.

Great link, thx

Worth a read just for the sleeping conditions.

I heard about some guy that built a 65' trimaran to sail to Hawaii a few years back.

Anyone know how that turned out?

On 30/11/2017 at 10:23 PM, Liquid said:

Wise words, me thinks...

Would #1 be in feet or meters?;) :P

1 minute ago, Trovão said:

Would #1 be in feet or meters?;) :P

I’m liking the metric system a lot more as an option. 

28 minutes ago, mad said:

I’m liking the metric system a lot more as an option. 

Sure. But waaayyy more expen$ive!