• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Grand Canard

J35 Shoal Keel

I purchased "Foot Loose" a couple of months ago, a 1985 J/35; the hull and deck is solid, no blistering at all, just needs new bottom coating and deck will probably get new gel coat and non-skid. The interior,.............., that's going to be a job! 

I'm investigating swapping the 7' draft standard keel for a shoal draft keel, maybe a wing keel, etc but ideally need a 5' max draft keel to be able to sail on Lake Arthur; the J Boat factory optional shoal keel is 6', I haven't contacted Mars Keel yet regarding a custom keel or keel draft reduction but will give them a shout in January if I'm unsuccessful sourcing a used keel.

Does anyone out there have a spare shoal keel you'd be willing to sell?

Rick

The J35c , 34c and 40 all had a UFO keel option. The mold for the keel was in the photos and parts list for the US Watercraft auction.  

On 12/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, bloodshot said:

Tyson can weld it on for you

hehehehe

• Like 1

Supposedly at least for the J/109  a heavier layup was used in the sump area on SD boats because the SD keel is around 400 lbs heavier than the standard keel.  I was told this while looking at a SD J/109 being sold as a brokerage boat by the local Jboat dealer, when asking about J/109 sump issues. I'd contact Jboats and ask if this was true for the J/35.

My experience with the 109 is that the shoal draft, when lined up against deep draft, was shit. Furthermore, the first time i sailed the 109 after we swapped keels i was shocked how abrupt the mode was between pinching and stalled. I think with the old keel i just didn't feel the stall as much bad because it was, well, just never as effective when it wasn't stalled. Also just got my ass kicked sailing a shoal draft x yacht a few weeks ago in an upwind race... I blame the keel, personally... 

As for the sump, Jboats still sent us a retrofit kit even though our boat was built with a deep draft, so i can't speak to any extra material or not to begin with. 

Frankly I think it's a shame to kill a good boat with a shoal draft keel.

105s did it, 36.7s  did it.

The J35 is, right off the shelf one of the best designs to ever ply water. Change the keel and you're losing a lot it's performance characteristics 

Should have bought a boat that already fit your water .