• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Gouvernail

Understanding Taxes On Top Earners

5 hours ago, phillysailor said:

jrk has become increasingly juvenile this thread. It’s as if he’s proving his importance, but only to himself, “Look at me! I can type, and people type back!” No content, thought, or significance, but he’s become the center of this thread because he just disagrees and insults us.

There is a reason most the regulars have him flicked onto their ignore list. It's the same wherever he goes and whenever he decides to start "contributing" again. 

19 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

There is a reason most the regulars have him flicked onto their ignore list. It's the same wherever he goes and whenever he decides to start "contributing" again. 

I think I put him on Ignore when he first hit Cruising Anarchy. He's a yappy fool.

At least Brent Swain was sort of fun in his fanatical idiocy - JerKZ is such a stupid zealot he makes the biggest gun nutters sound like the voice of reason.

2 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

I think Bent's reason has to do with his very small spine.

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

At least Brent Swain was sort of fun in his fanatical idiocy - JerKZ is such a stupid zealot he makes the biggest gun nutters sound like the voice of reason.

It takes some major ideological zeal mixed in with mind-numbing stupidity to balance out the combination of folks like RockDog, Tom Ray, and Princess Jeffie... but yeah, the JiZKid really does bring that unique combination to the table. To everyone's detriment.

One thing I learned fairly young..... If someone has to explain how something is going to benefit you, it probably won't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

If you were to go and talk to a couple of medical researchers, you'd find many of them frustrated and angry with the issue. Most of them are also fairly computer savvy (something about getting a couple of Ph.Ds makes you rather familiar with computers and data systems) and have ideas about how to solve the problem (other than simply pay great heaping fuckloads of money to Verizon or Sprint). Maybe some institutions have a way around the problem.

I don't know any. Since you do, maybe you can ask one about this:

"Duke University medical researchers cannot swap files with the CDC or Mayo etc etc."

I still don't believe it's a real problem. I think Duke researchers can swap files as easily as you or I can. And if they can't, they can both email the files to me and I'll be a forwarding service. But first I want to know who is preventing them from swapping files, if that's really true.

9 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

"Duke University medical researchers cannot swap files with the CDC or Mayo etc etc."

I still don't believe it's a real problem. I think Duke researchers can swap files as easily as you or I can. And if they can't, they can both email the files to me and I'll be a forwarding service. But first I want to know who is preventing them from swapping files, if that's really true.

Can you accept a 10 terabyte email?

-DSK

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Maybe that's his purpose?

-DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Maybe that's his purpose?

-DSK

The irony and the not so funny part about all of this is that the philosophy that I advocate is what benefits the poor the most, while your philosophy and that of Bent Clown hurts the poor.  In fact, there is a case to be made that you are hurting the poor intentionally for political gain.  Because nobody could be as stupid as you and Bent seem to be.

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, jzk said:

The irony and the not so funny part about all of this is that the philosophy that I advocate is what benefits the poor the most, while your philosophy and that of Bent Clown hurts the poor.  In fact, there is a case to be made that you are hurting the poor intentionally for political gain.  Because nobody could be as stupid as you and Bent seem to be.

If you bothered to have ANY historical context, your “philosophy” could have a place to influence debate. As it is...

Just now, Raz'r said:

If you bothered to have ANY historical context, your “philosophy” could have a place to influence debate. As it is...

Like most of your posts, this comment is meaningless.  

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, jzk said:

Like most of your posts, this comment is meaningless.  

Fundamentalists of any sort of people to avoid

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:
12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

-DSK

Sounds like a very hypothetical one to me, so sure, why not make it a hundred?

I still think there's a bit more to the story than your line that university researchers can't swap files. It doesn't sound at all credible, so I asked for a source. Is that so terrible?

Imagine I said to you that government regulators have gotten so out of hand that you can't even make music in Music City.

Well, it's true, but there's more to the story, as you might suspect.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Sounds like a very hypothetical one to me, so sure, why not make it a hundred?

I still think there's a bit more to the story than your line that university researchers can't swap files. It doesn't sound at all credible, so I asked for a source. Is that so terrible?

Imagine I said to you that government regulators have gotten so out of hand that you can't even make music in Music City.

Well, it's true, but there's more to the story, as you might suspect.

Not entirely. I happen to know a few details of some research projects, the data sets exceeding 100 terabytes. One that I know the specifics of involved very detailed chemistry of neonatal heart patients. I've also followed some leukemia research that gets into genetics. Massive amounts of data.

Obviously the Big Pharma researchers are not up against this problem. OTOH they also rely very heavily on research undertaken by the medical universities.

It's not unreasonable to ask, which is why I backed away from your thinking I was being insulting..... not my intent at all. As Thoreau said, when you find a trout in your milk..............

Running a business in a private home is an issue in a lot of places. The web site you linked to is very scanty on details, like -why- the city objected. Permitting and zoning leaps to mind. Zoning ought not be a big deal, it's often a royal PITA but can be straightened out with a few visits to the right committee meetings and few campaign contributions. That's not the way it should be, but is it better to dream about a beautiful fantasy world or to get things done in this world we live in?

-DSK

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not entirely. I happen to know a few details of some research projects, the data sets exceeding 100 terabytes. One that I know the specifics of involved very detailed chemistry of neonatal heart patients. I've also followed some leukemia research that gets into genetics. Massive amounts of data.

Obviously the Big Pharma researchers are not up against this problem. OTOH they also rely very heavily on research undertaken by the medical universities.

It's not unreasonable to ask, which is why I backed away from your thinking I was being insulting..... not my intent at all. As Thoreau said, when you find a trout in your milk..............

Running a business in a private home is an issue in a lot of places. The web site you linked to is very scanty on details, like -why- the city objected. Permitting and zoning leaps to mind. Zoning ought not be a big deal, it's often a royal PITA but can be straightened out with a few visits to the right committee meetings and few campaign contributions. That's not the way it should be, but is it better to dream about a beautiful fantasy world or to get things done in this world we live in?

-DSK

Please describe this 1990 era internet system capable of transmitting data sets exceeding 100 terabytes that is superior to current internet technology.  Maybe you are on to something.

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, jzk said:

Please describe this 1990 era internet system capable of transmitting data sets exceeding 100 terabytes that is superior to current internet technology.  Maybe you are on to something.

It's not more capable, but it was FREE to the researchers.

-DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Don't the scientists at Big Pharma come from those self same medical universities and take high paying jobs to repay their student loans?  Weren't they the ones who were doing that research as grad students or faculty looking for the revolving door to the big bucks?  Don't the guys making those big bucks pay income tax, SS and Medicare on their salaries?

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I still don't know which FCC ruling you're talking about. I don't know any researchers either. Sorry.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:21 AM, Steam Flyer said:

It's not from bloggers in pajamas, so you'd just prefer your own made-up "data"

The ruling is from the Bush/Cheney era FCC based on preventing "gov't agencies" (which Duke isn't but lots of other universities are) from using the internet they built themselves when they can buy the same service.

Just so I don't take it as an insult, can you quote the post in which I offered made up data. I'm sure you're right, just don't recall it.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Having the money you donate to cancer research siphoned off by Verizon or Sprint sounds good to you? Delaying medical research sounds good to you?

Sorry for interpreting these as insulting questions. Again, I'm sure they're based on my statements. Can you quote those statements please?

7 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Don't the scientists at Big Pharma come from those self same medical universities and take high paying jobs to repay their student loans?  Weren't they the ones who were doing that research as grad students or faculty looking for the revolving door to the big bucks?  Don't the guys making those big bucks pay income tax, SS and Medicare on their salaries?

I think you overestimate how much research scientists make.

But whatever, that doesn't help the university researchers.

-DSK

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
On 12/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Having the money you donate to cancer research siphoned off by Verizon or Sprint sounds good to you? Delaying medical research sounds good to you?

Sorry for interpreting these as insulting questions. Again, I'm sure they're based on my statements. Can you quote those statements please?

When I made a remark that the fast rising cost and choking of data had put a big damper on researchers exchanging files, at universities which used to own the internet, you said "That sounds good to me."

Made-up stuff: nothing to do with this particular thread (that I recall off the top of my head), but lots of rambling libertarian fantasy stuff. To be fair, you've also rejected a nmber of common libertarian/troglodyte fantasies, but you've clung to the ideas that the Declaration of Independence has the force of law, and that the American Revolution was all individuals rather than the colonies/states.

-DSK

On 12/5/2017 at 4:16 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:
On 12/4/2017 at 8:38 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Duke University medical researchers cannot swap files with the CDC or Mayo etc etc.

The infrastructure which the university built and paid for has been disconnected because the FCC says they have better faster etc etc from the commercial providers..... who charge out the wazoo for bandwidth and cut them off daily to prove how good the service is (ie to hold them hostage).

You gonna help with that?

-DSK

Sounds good to me! I've disconnected my internet infrastructure several times now and each time it did get faster.

I hope to do it again in a couple of years.

Disconnected by whom? Got a link for this story?

Let me clarify: what sounded good to me was replacing the 56.6 modem on the phone line with a satellite. Then replacing the satellite with a DSL, now replacing the DSL with a new satellite connection.

I think you've already admitted that the BS about Duke researchers being unable to share files was just that. Made up stuff, since you later admitted the rule you referenced didn't apply to them.

I'm still interested in learning about that rule. Sorry, I'm not going to learn about it in conversation with researchers and searching for it by your characterizations doesn't lead anywhere, perhaps because they're BS.

43 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Made-up stuff: nothing to do with this particular thread (that I recall off the top of my head), but lots of rambling libertarian fantasy stuff. To be fair, you've also rejected a nmber of common libertarian/troglodyte fantasies, but you've clung to the ideas that the Declaration of Independence has the force of law, and that the American Revolution was all individuals rather than the colonies/states.

I see. So you don't have any examples of BS I have posted. Well, that's something that separates us, as Eva Dent.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

I am calling bullshit on your nonsense.  No way does a free government internet system of the 1990s benefit your hypothetical research team more than what is available today.

10 TB of Google drive is available for $99.99 per month.

75 Mbps of internet speed is available for $100 per month.  Maybe double that for a corporate plan.

Some big time research facility bats an eye over a few hundred a month for these kinds of amazing services that couldn't be imagined in the 90s?  

Yeah, you are pretty much proving my case for me.

• Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, jzk said:

I am calling bullshit on your nonsense.  No way does a free government internet system of the 1990s benefit your hypothetical research team more than what is available today.

10 TB of Google drive is available for $99.99 per month.

75 Mbps of internet speed is available for $100 per month.  Maybe double that for a corporate plan.

Some big time research facility bats an eye over a few hundred a month for these kinds of amazing services that couldn't be imagined in the 90s?  

Yeah, you are pretty much proving my case for me.

Yeah.

Hong Kong, dumbass.

The situation I was describing was pretty much pre-Cloud or in the early days at least. Things may have turned around, although I'm pretty sure that researchers are unwilling to commit their data to The Cloud, with it's lack of security and uncertain retreival.

Considering that universities invented and built the INternet I doubt there is much in practice today that they didn't imagine. I know for a fact that communications corporations view other people's critical data as fodder for predation.

You consider your case "proven," and Tom thinks the Declaration of Independence is a legal document.

-DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah.

Hong Kong, dumbass.

The situation I was describing was pretty much pre-Cloud or in the early days at least. Things may have turned around, although I'm pretty sure that researchers are unwilling to commit their data to The Cloud, with it's lack of security and uncertain retreival.

Considering that universities invented and built the INternet I doubt there is much in practice today that they didn't imagine. I know for a fact that communications corporations view other people's critical data as fodder for predation.

You consider your case "proven," and Tom thinks the Declaration of Independence is a legal document.

-DSK

Like I said.  Bullshit.  Bullshit on your stupid fake example that you can't support.  Because of the free market, those researchers have communication choices available today that they couldn't have imagined during those government internet days that you seem to want to return to.

• Downvote 3