• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Caca Cabeza

Cheap/Free Raro (Cook Islands) Inavx Charts?

Look, I am not trying to take anyone's livelihood away. My Fam is going to Raro for the Christmas (yes! I DID say it...) Holiday. Maybe taking the boy (13) out for sportfishing.

I thought it might be super cool to show him where we are (were?), but Navionics and Inavx are more than I would prefer just to show the 'boy'.

No flames, please. Any ideas?

opencpn on your phone, use the chart downloader to get the NZ 2017/2018 Chart Base File and the 2017 update. They're big, but they have Cook Islands on them and the app is pretty cool.

image.thumb.png.b9b503d851dd29de9297061a15913933.png

On 12/5/2017 at 9:07 AM, ryley said:

opencpn on your phone, use the chart downloader to get the NZ 2017/2018 Chart Base File and the 2017 update. They're big, but they have Cook Islands on them and the app is pretty cool.

image.thumb.png.b9b503d851dd29de9297061a15913933.png

a friend had one of those

said it hurt while passing :blink:

I like the reef on the east, west and south side of the island. Rather vague (but typical of charts in the S. Pacific). The only area charted to any detail is the main harbour on the north shore. Because small ships go there.

I can’t find anything that runs on an iPad. Am I missing something?

besides iNavx? I saw someone had installed opencpn on a raspberry pi and then used vnc to flash it up on their ipad.

2 hours ago, ryley said:

besides iNavx? I saw someone had installed opencpn on a raspberry pi and then used vnc to flash it up on their ipad.

No disrespect, but I'm going on holiday, want to see the cartography, and I am about 9 weeks short of completing a computer science degree.

Bueller, anyone?

3 minutes ago, Caca Cabeza said:

No disrespect, but I'm going on holiday, want to see the cartography, and I am about 9 weeks short of completing a computer science degree.

Bueller, anyone?

none taken. Not sure where you are right now but a 10" android tablet is $99. Then opencpn is free and so are the charts. If you want free, ipad's not your platform, but navionics+ is around $200, inavx is $15 plus cost of charts. opencpn will work on a pc too, and Mac OSX, just not the ipad.

Thanks for the info. I've been navigating Caribbean, Central America & Mexico with Navionix on an iPad with a Lifeproof case. Pretty good stuff, except in a Chubaso squall off of Nicaragua one night with wall to wall lightning. Kinda spooked the Cupertino boys. Didn't give a good fix till the photo shoot was over.

Since I'm only going for recreation, I thought it would be fun to scope out the surroundings with a little blue triangle on it. For $99 I could get the South Pacific including Raro.

I've got the NZ Admiralty Raro chart. I'll play with that.

Thanks for the info!