• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
DryArmour

East facing Harbors SO CAL- Time to leave

Good morning SA PEEPS. If any of you are sitting in Avalon/Isthmus harbor or in an East or NE facing harbor in the Northern Channel Islands, it is time to pack up and either head home or get around the back of the islands. A fairly wicked Santa Ana wind event is shaping up. Only a few stations are reporting 30+ winds but it will develop during the day on Monday. Have a great week and enjoy the sunny and hot weather.

From NWS LAX

MARINE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
249 AM PST MON DEC 4 2017

PZZ650-655-050400-
EAST SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL FROM PT. CONCEPTION TO PT. MUGU CA
INCLUDING SANTA CRUZ ISLAND-
INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
CATALINA AND ANACAPA ISLANDS-
249 AM PST MON DEC 4 2017

..GUSTY SANTA ANA WINDS TO BRING CHOPPY SEAS TO INNER WATERS
TODAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...

...HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS POSSIBLE FOR AVALON AND TWO HARBORS TODAY
THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...

GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS AND CHOPPY SEAS WILL DEVELOP OVER THE
COASTAL WATERS SOUTHEAST OF POINT CONCEPTION THIS MORNING THROUGH
TUESDAY NIGHT. WIND GUSTS UP TO 25 KNOTS ARE EXPECTED TODAY...
WITH EVEN STRONGER WINDS WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KNOTS POSSIBLE LATE
TONIGHT AND TUESDAY.

THESE WINDS WILL ESPECIALLY AFFECT NEARSHORE AREAS FROM VENTURA
TO SANTA MONICA...INCLUDING SANTA CRUZ AND ANACAPA ISLANDS. THESE
WINDS WILL ALSO MOVE THROUGH THE SAN PEDRO CHANNEL AND IMPACT
MOST OF THE UNPROTECTED FRONT SIDE OF CATALINA ISLAND...INCLUDING
AVALON AND TWO HARBORS.

THE WINDS WILL CREATE STEEP...CHOPPY WIND WAVES WITH NORTHEAST
SHORT PERIOD SWELL BUILDING UP TO 5 FEET. THE NORTHEAST SWELL AND
WIND WAVES WILL LIKELY IMPACT AVALON AND TWO HARBORS...WITH THE
WORST CONDITIONS EXPECTED TONIGHT AND TUESDAY.

THIS IS A POTENTIAL HAZARDOUS SITUATION FOR AVALON AND TWO
HARBORS. IMPROPERLY ANCHORED OR MOORED VESSELS MAY BECOME LOOSE
AND DAMAGED...AND MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO OTHER VESSELS IN THE
VICINITY. MARINERS WHO NORMALLY ANCHOR IN THESE HARBORS ARE URGED
TO MOVE THEIR VESSELS TO THE SOUTH SIDE OF SANTA CATALINA ISLAND
BEFORE THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS DEVELOP MONDAY MORNING.

$$

KAPLAN

Just don't have anything inflammable on the deck.  That Ventura fire is blowing big chunks of burning material pretty high up, and with 40 knots of Santa Ana, the carry isn't insignificant.

Raymond Chandler described your current situation best;

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

UPDATE- Wednesday Monring

SOCAL Severe Weather update: Surface and upper air pressure readings are down slightly from yesterday. A slow moving upper level low is transiting the far southern section of of the forecast area. It will slide into Northern Mexico overnight tonight. This feature will moderate the winds today but lookout overnight in the East-West wind corridors. Winds will be on the increase again sweeping into the low over Mexico beginning in the morning hours of Thursday. In fact, Thursday could be the windiest of this five day Santa Ana event. Over the last hour, winds in the Ventura area are mid 20s and Malibu area are in the mid 30s. Lower Malibu and Topanga are seeing gusts to 50. Freemont Canyon in Eastern Orange County just saw 54mph wind gusts. All northbound lanes of the 405 are currently closed in the Sepulveda Pass as a result of a new brush fire. (Skirball Fire)

Getting to as many hot spots today and squelching them will be key as if they are allowed to smolder, Thursday morning could bring a tremendous conflagration. Fingers crossed that things are not as bad as the forecast appears on Thursday...Depending on the fire, the containment ranges for 0-5%. Hope they get a better handle today before the blwo torch turns back on tomorrow. Photo Courtesy of INTER 20

SO CAL FIRE INCIDENT STATUS

Confligration.jpg

Bel Air on Fire.  405 is closed through Sepulveda Pass.  La Conchita evacuated.  I see offshore breeze for the Los Angeles area forecast for the next week.  Car was covered in a fine ash yesterday afternoon.  It’s going to be a tough week.

1 minute ago, silent bob said:

Bel Air on Fire.  405 is closed through Sepulveda Pass.  La Conchita evacuated.  I see offshore breeze for the Los Angeles area forecast for the next week.  Car was covered in a fine ash yesterday afternoon.  It’s going to be a tough week.

But you are in New Jersey?

11 minutes ago, Windward said:

But you are in New Jersey?

I do a bit of business in SoCal!

Fortunately, while I can see the smoke clearly from my office,  it’s blowing offshore.  I’m sure we’re all getting a bit of the ash. The air is cool and dry.  Three rounds with the netti-pot last night to clear the sinuses. I’m sure I’ll need it many times thru the week.

SOCAL SEVERE WX UPDATE: A bit ahead of schedule, winds at the surface are NNW but at about 1500 feet they have shifted decidedly to the ENE. The upper low transiting the area is opening up and diving due south at this hour. The trailing edge is over a line from Long Beach out through the lower deserts. This explains the shift to the east.

For those fighting the Skirball fire in the Sepulveda Pass they need to get a handle on this between now and 2200 (10PM) tonight because the new NAM run says it is going to get freaking windy through there tonight.

Damn, the Thomas fire burned from Santa Paula to the beach.  And it’s still nowhere near containment.  

Mayor Yogapants is having a news briefing on the Skirball Fire, now. He’s pretty useless, but all the Fire personnel are trying their hardest to limit the destruction. 

1 minute ago, silent bob said:

Damn, the Thomas fire burned from Santa Paula to the beach.  And it’s still nowhere near containment.  

Mayor Yagapants is having a news briefing on the Skirball Fire, now. He’s pretty useless, but all the Fire personnel are trying their hardest to limit the destruction. 

They have a good opportunity now to get a handle on it. 13 hours from now the fan turns back on and if they think they have problems now...

57 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

...amazing they let cars through this.   Business as usual I suppose.  :mellow:

When fires begin in steep terrain like this it can literally be 15 minutes between when the fire starts and when it explodes. Not enough time for CHP to create a closure. Common sense and prudence must prevail.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And it appears to be as uncommon as usual there.

As little sense as there is in California generally, I can't really fault those drivers. Once you pass the 101 and start up the hill there are only a couple small exits and no turn arounds until you get down the hill in to west LA on the other side.  Really no choice but to keep going. 

8 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

...amazing they let cars through this.   Business as usual I suppose.  :mellow:

California, land of fruits and nuts. Maybe so. Also big huevos. Saw a car go through that with the top down ! 

CHP now has a bulletin out requesting drivers using routing NOT take the suggested trips thru the low traffic areas _ 'cause that's the fire zones!!!

On 12/4/2017 at 4:59 PM, silent bob said:

I wouldn’t be worried, but I’d be concerned!

97485F9C-EBDE-4646-9256-9EE6282D7CED.jpeg

That's a 25+ NM fetch for sustained winds of 25 to 35 kts straight into Avalon and Whites Landing.  I would not want to be there.  With all the emphasis in the news on the fires, I wonder if some with boats there might miss this.

It was windy in north San Diego County overnight.  The road running through our property was blocked by big portion of a multi-trunked Eucalyptus tree that broke off at the root.  I had to make arrangements to get it cut up and moved before I could get into work this a.m.  There are still no fires in our area, but I saw two complete morons tossing cigarette butts out of their vehicles on the freeway yesterday, so I suspect it's only a matter of time. 

I'm not sure what law provides the littering exemption for smokers.  It must be in some parallel universe which is somehow related to the bed of pickup trucks that many consider to be magic self-emptying trash cans.

2 minutes ago, Shu said:

I'm not sure what law provide the littering exemption for smokers.  It must be in some parallel universe, which is somehow related to the bed of pickup trucks that many consider to be magic self-emptying trash cans.

In Cali, only chicken feathers and water can legally be discarded from a vehicle.

17 minutes ago, axolotl said:

In Cali, only chicken feathers and water can legally be discarded from a vehicle.

Sorry, sarcasm font not working for me.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:06 PM, SloopJonB said:

Raymond Chandler described your current situation best;

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

That sums it up pretty well.

I started sneezing just from reading this.  I spent 33 years there and still miss the geography.  The people?  Not so much (except family and friends, of course).

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

In Cali, only chicken feathers (From LIVE Chickens) and water can legally be discarded from a vehicle.

fixed

sound like to have an upgraded CDL 2 B)

The fire SHU mentioned has tripled in size in the last hour. It's just west of the 15 North of Temecula. Big on the news, as it;s the first in SD county.

For those of you who go to Avalon, god forbid, when I was 5 or so, my dad took us there on his "only once every 5 years" or so obligatory visit.  I saw in one of the shops on Front? street the B/W photos of a particularly disastrous Santa Ana in the early 50's. It can be really ugly there. I was at the Isthmus in 1974 for the Christmas S/A and had to run over to big fisherman's, where we watched the powerboats wash up on the beach in front of the palm trees.

42 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Are you SW of Temecula ner the 76/15 split?

Yeah: Ponch, the fire is south of the 76 / I-15 junction.

But it's big!

Sun getting somewhat dimmer here.

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

In Cali, only chicken feathers (From LIVE Chickens) and water can legally be discarded from a vehicle.

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

fixed

sound like to have an upgraded CDL 2 B)

I brilliantly counter your nit-picky post by being even more nit-picky :  "or feathers from live birds" is how the Vehicle Code reads. So turkey, canary, even ostrich feathers can be given the heave-ho ^_^

43 minutes ago, Parma said:

Yeah: Ponch, the fire is south of the 76 / I-15 junction.

But it's big!

Sun getting somewhat dimmer here.

There is another fire up Temecula way, now dubbed the Liberty fire.

The fire went by us very quickly about 3/4 mi north. Front row seats for us. Packed and ready to go. Moved firewood away from house; watered the heck out of everything. The slow-moving south edge of the fire is slowly making its way toward us through an area that burned 3 or 4 years ago. We can see the fire crews on station keeping an eye on it. We have two exit routes away from the fire. Wind is moderating slightly, but still having big gusts. Will post photos when I get a decent connection 

I just spoke to Skottt, and he doesn't think it will come his way, but you never know with these things. 

If anyone needing, due to issues, I have two places where evacuated local sailors can stay here in Coronado. You just don't want to room with Skottt.

Trust me on this one!!

couple blocks from my house today I saw a mini van dragging a BIG Brown Palm Frond underneath along down the street

who knows if it was touching the KATConveter or not

But if it began to smolder and they started going fast it Could Get Ugly no matter where they came to a stop

9 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I'm in the hills.  Got my grab bag packed.  Creepy at night with the winds howling and branches falling on the roof.

In the late 70's in Northern California, we had been in a prolonged drought.  One warm night, in the middle of the late summer, lots of sirens blaring through the neighborhood.  I look out into the front room, and I see BRIGHT ORANGE!  Turned out to be a Bug Light on the front porch and a false alarm.  Scared the shit out of me!  From Culver City, there was smoke to the North West.  Looked like it was in the Topanga area, but it must have been the Creek Fire or Thomas Fire in the background.  Stay safe!

2 minutes ago, silent bob said:

In the late 70's in Northern California, we had been in a prolonged drought.  One warm night, in the middle of the late summer, lots of sirens blaring through the neighborhood.  I look out into the front room, and I see BRIGHT ORANGE!  Turned out to be a Bug Light on the front porch and a false alarm.  Scared the shit out of me!  From Culver City, there was smoke to the North West.  Looked like it was in the Topanga area, but it must have been the Creek Fire or Thomas Fire in the background.  Stay safe!

Thanks.  Two scares already this year.  One was a voluntary evacuation.  Starting to rethink living up here. That and the fucking dog across the creek that won't shut up.

53 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Thanks.  Two scares already this year.  One was a voluntary evacuation.  Starting to rethink living up here. That and the fucking dog across the creek that won't shut up.

where you is ?

Been off the web for a few days.  I had to mandatory evacuate Monday night at  11 p.m.  Was able to go back for a few hours yesterday but couldn't stay past sunset.  Was turned away today due to SC Gas workers dealing with gas leaks in the neighborhood.  My home is intact with no damage.  Not so much 30% to 50% of my neighbors in my tract (Clearpoint, Ventura).  Toured the neighborhood yesterday to see so many friends' homes burned to the ground. It is heartbreaking.  I hurt for my friends and neighbors but am grateful for my good luck.

We aren't done yet.  Red Flag warnings until Sunday evening.  VPD tells us that we won't be able to move back in until the fire is fully contained.  It is at 5% containment now.  Thank god for a good friend in Camarillo that has graciously opened his home to us. We might be here for several days.

Monday night, when we evacuated, we were heading to the evacuation center at the Ventura Fairgrounds.  But on the way I was seeing fires in that direction.  I know, too, that often easterlies sweep right down onto the fairgrounds.  So we turned east (southbound on the 101) to head for a hotel in Oxnard.  As we drove we saw that the ridge above Ventura was on fire for the entire length of the city.  Electricity was off from the Conejo Grade to Goleta. The hotel in Oxnard was full and blacked out. We continued over the grade to TO where the lights were on.  We got the second to last room in the third hotel we went to.  We stayed there for two nights before hitting up my Camarillo friend.

And so the adventure continues.

Good to hear your house is ok for now unShirley. We are watching huge areas of Bonsall and South Fallbrook burning now. I'm thankful we've been spared (for now) but it seems hollow when I see so many being devestated

IMG_4878.JPG

On the topic of winds, anyone who has been down to Ensenada probably knows the enormous flag there. Well for whatever reason they decided to let it fly in spite of the Santa Ana's...until it started to tear apart. I captured this from my boat in Baja Naval.

8 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

On the topic of winds, anyone who has been down to Ensenada probably knows the enormous flag there. Well for whatever reason they decided to let it fly in spite of the Santa Ana's...until it started to tear apart. I captured this from my boat in Baja Naval.

8 hours ago, hobot said:

Fordeck was incredibly slow on getting that down.

B)

Mexican takedown!

I was disappointed having watched it all the way 

Without seeing anyine Flicked Through the Air

A Flag is But a Flag from One End

Fuck with the Other End and it becomes Something Else All together 

13 hours ago, Shu said:

Good to hear your house is ok for now unShirley. We are watching huge areas of Bonsall and South Fallbrook burning now. I'm thankful we've been spared (for now) but it seems hollow when I see so many being devestated

IMG_4878.JPG

Shu, hope everything is ok. Let us know if you need anything. You have my number.

Thanks Irrational 14.  We're ok.  I'm back at work now.  The wind has switched to the west here in Carlsbad, which has the potential to blow the fire back on our place through un-burned terrain.  I'll call my wife and see if it is blowing from the east or west at our house.

Carpinteria, Montecito and parts of Santa Barbara are now under evacuation. The winds are light for now but should come back later this evening from the North and Northeast. Don't let your guard down peeps.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, P_Wop said:

We have a little bit of your smoke here in Palo Alto, 300 miles North.  Do you want it back?

We're now getting air-quality advisories in the Seattle area, from the SoCal smoke (they're claiming the smoke blew out to sea in the Santa Anas and then got shoved our way by the pravailing offshore winds...)

15 minutes ago, sledracr said:

We're now getting air-quality advisories in the Seattle area, from the SoCal smoke (they're claiming the smoke blew out to sea in the Santa Anas and then got shoved our way by the pravailing offshore winds...)

Better than a Cold Breeze 

2 hours ago, sledracr said:

I caught a whiff of forest fire smoke in Burlington today.

I just thought someone was over-zealous with their fireplace. Then I thought, "I'm in the middle of a shopping district! There's no homes here..."

one of my fabricators home's went up . heres a pic a journalist took on his property right after the fire swept thru and burned his house and cars. he lost a few nice cars , built coyote engine , etc.. his house burned the night the Thomas fire started . he said it was a fireball coming thru wheeler canyon in santa paula. they found his neighbor dead in her car a few days later. 

Fire.jpg