• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
nacradriver

Mitsubushi Vehicals - Thumbs Up or Down

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Toyota since 78...

Mitsubishi is known for their vehicle defect coverups. https://www.autosafety.org/mitsubishi-motors-admits-decades-long-defect-cover/

I wouldn't buy one.

Thanks...  I have been driving the same Camry for the past 15 years... I know of Toyota quality.

That article was dated 2004... you think there could have been some changes in the pat 13 years?

20 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Anyone here have experience with this brand as of late?

I got rid of my 2012 Lancer last year. The interior was cheap in every way. The seats were crap. The CVT was awful. The engine was pretty gutless. Mileage was mediocre. Stereo sucked. Bluetooth never worked right. It rattled everywhere. 

Otherwise it was fine. 

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Thanks...  I have been driving the same Camry for the past 15 years... I know of Toyota quality.

That article was dated 2004... you think there could have been some changes in the pat 13 years?

They are getting better at hiding things?

Heavy trucks/construction vehicles, thumbs up.

Passenger cars, thumbs down.

I don't know about the new ones but I have a 2001 Pajero Pinin 4WD (basically a Mitsubishi Jeep) and I love it.  It goes like a goat in the mud, snow and sand and I have had it for 6 years with no trouble.

But just from seeing the new ones, they probably suck.  I like Honda a lot.

18 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I don't know about the new ones but I have a 2001 Pajero Pinin 4WD (basically a Mitsubishi Jeep) and I love it.  It goes like a goat in the mud, snow and sand and I have had it for 6 years with no trouble.

But just from seeing the new ones, they probably suck.  I like Honda a lot.

Your truck was from when they still cared about passenger vehicles. They’ve quit caring now. It was evident in every way with my car. Having said that, it was at least a reliable commuter car. 

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Raider pickup. So far, zero issues. It was made for them by Chrysler as a Dakota variant, but they seem to do a better quality control job on them given my friend's reliability issues with his Dakota.

I have respect for the company. I used to use their printing presses, they were the most precisely made presses that I've ever used. They were heavy where they needed to be heavy and light where they needed to be light, dot gain was incredibly low, ink management was legacy.

They did apparently use slave labor during WWII, and trade in heroin, but for the first few years, their Zero fighter planes were nearly unstoppable.

I had a 2002 Montero - The big 4WD fucker. Beautiful in every way. Interior finish was first class. Lines were striking and different from the rest of the SUVs out there and it was badass. after 10 years we were starting to have some very expensive problems and got rid of it (for very little). Gas mileage sucked also.

Also bought a 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Totally different. Cheap materials, under powered. Kinda noisy inside. But the price was right and with 2 in college I didn't have much to spare. Gave it to my daughter a couple years later and she still drives it and likes it. But it's a cheap car in every way. So if you get one, make sure you get a good deal on it.

The new Mitsubishi Mirage I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Takes small and cheap to a whole new level. 78 HP. Sheesh

They have about .6% of the US car market if that means anything to you. If they were awesome, they'd command more of the market.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:42 PM, austin1972 said:

They have about .6% of the US car market if that means anything to you. If they were awesome, they'd command more of the market.

Their meager share isn't so much about the quality of their product, more about the way the company is run. They are a collection of autonomous companies, in many cases owned by the same people, and some of the units are so flush with cash, that making cars doesn't seem to be a high priority with them. They own The Bank of Tokyo, Nikon, Mitsubishi Chemical, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries ... they know how to make high quality products and make money on high quality products. Cars seem just kind of an annoyance to them.

But compare them to Fuji Heavy Industries, who makes Subaru, the cars are their main product, they have to do a good job with them, it's bread and butter for them. Mitsubishi seems to make cheap cars, but cheap cars that do last a lot longer than cheap cars should last. They have their weird little U.S. market segment, and it isn't even clear that they're going to even want it all that much longer.

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

They have their weird little U.S. market segment, and it isn't even clear that they're going to even want it all that much longer.

Industry buzz is that they're backing out of the US market. Nissan has been propping them up since Mitsu closed their plant.

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Industry buzz is that they're backing out of the US market. Nissan has been propping them up since Mitsu closed their plant.

As long as they keep making and selling those incredible lithographic printing presses, I'm fine with that. 

Fuck Heidelberg, Mitsubishi makes the best full sheet litho offset press in the known universe. I've seen regular 4 color UV sheets come off a Mitsubishi that have more range than a Hexachrome page off of a lesser press. The drums are so thin on their machines, it's no wonder they can manage less than 1% dot gain.

I wondered if they still make those presses, I had a look at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industry website, turns out they're in the particle accelerator business now. But I don't see those damned glorious presses anymore ... maybe they sold the unit you Komori? Looks like the same press. They make the currency printer too. Imagine selling governments the printing presses they need to print their currencies. What about the U.S., are there any U.S. made engraving presses left? Do we just use Japanese presses for the litho portion of our bills, and then the old letterpress engraving from the 1950s?

4 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Following the lead of Suzuki, another lightweight car maker.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

The Samurai was the greatest off road street-legal vehicle ever made.

They wouldn't be legal today. They were tippy.

Mitsubishi's only play now is in the CUV market. That's a very competitive space.

Seriously, Mazda or Mitsu. Which would you choose?

14 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Mitsubishi's only play now is in the CUV market. That's a very competitive space.

Mazda, no question.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, Rum Runner said:

I've heard of lots of problems with Mitsubishi's.  Go Subaru. 

Real happy with the 2017 WRX! 268 HP, from A 2-liter 4 banger, 6 speed manual.  Almost time to mount the black steelies with Snow & Ice tires..

Rented a Mazda 3 for couple of months, bluetooth, HD radio, accident avoidance, 30mpg and excellent performance.  Now have Hyn Elantra - bigger and quieter but doesn't drive nearly as well, not even close. Before I would go Mitsu I would go Hyn or Kia.  my .02

13 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same much like Toyota and Lexus? 

I think they are two different companies, but not positive....

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I got my daughter a Mazda 2, she loves it.

But those Samurais, I remember that some drivers rolled then when they were driving them the wrong way. They had a wonderfully short wheelbase, lots of clearance and they were narrow. That obviously made them a lot more tippy on the highway than the average road rhinoceros of the day, but you drive the vehicle you brought. Any off-roader will tip over eventually, you have to drive within that envelope. The Sammy could handle mud and terrain like no other road vehicle, they only weighed about 2k lbs.!

I taught my daughter to drive on the hills of St Croix in an old beater rusted out Samurai Suki. The only thing holding it together were all of the dive shop bumper stickers. It had been owned by a dive shop and years of salt water wet BC's draining out in the back and not been kind. My girl called it the 'Silly Suki'.

I pulled up to the vehicle inspection lane in it and the inspector just laughed at the sight of it and told me to get lost. I think it got 'grandfathered in'. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I taught my daughter to drive on the hills of St Croix in an old beater rusted out Samurai Suki. The only thing holding it together were all of the dive shop bumper stickers. It    I pulled up to the vehicle inspection lane in it and the inspector just laughed at the sight of it and told me to get lost. I think it got 'grandfathered in'. 

We insisted that both daughters learn manual transmission.  One of them balked, and used her Grandmothers auto-slush box car to pass her drivers license.  But she drove a stick for the next five years......

19 hours ago, mikewof said:

But those Samurais, I remember that some drivers rolled then when they were driving them the wrong way. They had a wonderfully short wheelbase, lots of clearance and they were narrow. That obviously made them a lot more tippy on the highway than the average road rhinoceros of the day, but you drive the vehicle you brought. Any off-roader will tip over eventually, you have to drive within that envelope. The Sammy could handle mud and terrain like no other road vehicle, they only weighed about 2k lbs.!

I owned a Suzuki Samurai and currently own a Mitsubishi Pajero.  The Mitsubishi beats the Suzuki in every respect.  It's like comparing  a Matchbox toy to a die cast Corgi toy car

14 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I owned a Suzuki Samurai and currently own a Mitsubishi Pajero.  The Mitsubishi beats the Suzuki in every respect.  It's like comparing  a Matchbox toy to a die cast Corgi toy car

42 minutes ago, derelicte said:

wife had a montero (the big one) as a loaner when her jeep was in the body shop. she called it the monterrible. :D

That's because the Montero doesn't the cool Italian styling of the Pajero Pinin, as in Pininfarina.

Sexy beast, eh?  (Not mine, from Google).

Pajero Pinin.jpg

3 hours ago, soak_ed said:

The Pajero is a terrific vehicle, it's won a ton of the Paris-Dakar rallies, our version here is called the Montero. It's not comparable to the Samurai.

I've driven the Montero, it's luxurious, but it's heavy, about 5,200 lbs., it's wide and the wheelbase is long. The one I drove was a lot like my Isuzu, about 1k lbs heavier, but it was a decent trail vehicle, as long as the tail isn't technical. I won't put either machine down, I like my Isuzu so much that I still keep it just to use it four or five times a year. It's good for those open trail rallies and desert runs.

But the Samurai is a completely different machine than the Pajero/Montero. It's literally less than half the weight of the Pajero, even when you weigh it down with extra fuel and off road equipment. And look at the ratio, the Pajero's ratio is about 8.7/105 about 8.3%, and about the same as my Isuzu.

But the Samurai? Its stock ratio is 8.1/80, over 10%. Few stock street vehicles that I know come close to that, even the mighty FJ Cruiser barely manages 9%, a Jeep Rubicon is the only stock vehicle that I know which is also above 10%, and it weighs twice as much as the Sammy. And the Sammy came with a full ladder frame, transfer case, granny gear and lockers. The Pajero might be a good road vehicle, but after 2001, they went to unibody. What kind of rock climber has a unibody?

Yes, I agree that the Mitsubishi is a better road machine, but off road, the Sammy will get through anything up to single tracks. It's so light that you can pull it out of the mud just using the old vectored-rope trick, you don't even need a winch.

2 hours ago, soak_ed said:

That's because the Montero doesn't the cool Italian styling of the Pajero Pinin, as in Pininfarina.

Sexy beast, eh?  (Not mine, from Google).

Pajero Pinin.jpg

Sergio Pininfarina's shop designed that? Were they drunk that day? 

I am owned by a Pininfarina, and that sir, is no Pininfarina. Maybe it was a hoax design?

14 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Anyone else leaning towards, " If Woosey and Ed are full in maybe I want to rethink my stance?"

'

Not to good at the "literacy thing" huh? I just shit all over the Mitsubishi as an off-roader, even though I own a Mitsubishi.

Keep doing the "Hooked on Phonics", you'll learn to read eventually.

Interesting little rant woof. I respond in neither the positive nor negative. I only queried if anyone's considering your and soaked's POV would have them considering a rethink of their initial position, whatever that may be. How you construe that one way or thother, and then double down with some  lame sort of jibe is interesting. And to top it off you try and frame that as you taking some perceived high ground. Perhaps I have given you too much credit?

On 12/8/2017 at 11:38 PM, mikewof said:

Sergio Pininfarina's shop designed that? Were they drunk that day? 

I am owned by a Pininfarina, and that sir, is no Pininfarina. Maybe it was a hoax design?

Dude, you can't be owned by a Pinifarina.  It is a design studio, an entity not a thing.  They have designs for many different car companies, of course the one most associated with them is Ferrari.  

In its final iteration the old FIAT 124 Spyder was marketed by Pininfarina - that would qualify as being owned by a Pininfarina. :D

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

In its final iteration the old FIAT 124 Spyder was marketed by Pininfarina - that would qualify as being owned by a Pininfarina. :D

They did the original design for Fiat with the 124. That's the one I have, a 1974. I just popped into the garage to ask me if she still owns me. She winked at me, and told me "Fina al giorno in cui muori, amore mio."

acvoxx.jpg

7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Interesting little rant woof. I respond in neither the positive nor negative. I only queried if anyone's considering your and soaked's POV would have them considering a rethink of their initial position, whatever that may be. How you construe that one way or thother, and then double down with some  lame sort of jibe is interesting. And to top it off you try and frame that as you taking some perceived high ground. Perhaps I have given you too much credit?

I get that, and you didn't seem to notice that Ed and I disagreed on the core point regarding the road abilities vs. off-road abilities of the Mitsubishis, so how would that impel them to change their initial position?

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

They did the original design for Fiat with the 124. That's the one I have, a 1974. I just popped into the garage to ask me if she still owns me. She winked at me, and told me "Fina al giorno in cui muori, amore mio."

acvoxx.jpg

That hard top must be the ugliest thing I have ever seen done to a 124 spyder! Please burn it.

They are one of the prettiest cars ever made, and by the time you have sunk enough into them to have bought an original abath rallye version, they go quite well too. My white '76 is the only car I've owned that I wish I'd kept.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, mikewof said:

The Samurai was horrid on a paved road and about as safe as a golf cart, assuming it was a cheap golf cart :rolleyes: OTOH those same features (short, narrow, and light) made it squeeze through gaps and climb things that would stop a Jeep dead.

BTW - I had a Mitsubishi Starion back in the day. The turbo engine went through a clutch every 25K  and chewed the synchros up as well :angry:, but it was really fun to drive :D

5 hours ago, Se7en said:

That hard top must be the ugliest thing I have ever seen done to a 124 spyder! Please burn it.

They are one of the prettiest cars ever made, and by the time you have sunk enough into them to have bought an original abath rallye version, they go quite well too. My white '76 is the only car I've owned that I wish I'd kept.

That "boat tail" hard top was the one commissioned by Fiat! The more common "bubble" hard top was commissioned by the California importer, but it was so much cheaper that it became the only one anyone saw here. I find the bubble hard top to be a little off. It matches the shape of this rag top, but what's the point of that? It's much lighter than the boattail hardtop, but other than that I don't like it. One Fiat rally enthusiast told me that the boat tail hard top is more valuable than the car itself.

Mine has the original red interior, instead of the black, that's also kind of unusual, because most of the US imports had the black or tan interiors. But I would like to do the electronc ignition, new carb, a better fuel pump, the Pininfarina wire wheels and it needs a new rag top. All of that relies on the teenagers not destroying it, if corse.

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

acvoxx.jpg

That hardtop is heinous! Take it off so the poor car doesn't die of embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The Samurai was horrid on a paved road and about as safe as a golf cart, assuming it was a cheap golf cart :rolleyes: OTOH those same features (short, narrow, and light) made it squeeze through gaps and climb things that would stop a Jeep dead.

BTW - I had a Mitsubishi Starion back in the day. The turbo engine went through a clutch every 25K  and chewed the synchros up as well :angry:, but it was really fun to drive :D

I remember seeing the Starion for the first time back in 1983 or so, it was an incredibly advanced vehicle for that time ... turbo, very low drag, multiport fuel, the late injection boost, cooled intake, the dash looked like a video game, but actually gave the drivers things they could use to drive faster, like boost delay. That was a fast car, Mitsubishi was way on top of their game with that car. I assume the reason you burned through clutch plates was because it was too thin to handle the turbo. Didn't Chrysler fuck it up with some of their OEM suppliers?

29 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

That hardtop is heinous! Take it off so the poor car doesn't die of embarrassment. 

That's the correct hardtop for the vehicle. The one you're used to seeing is a refit of the Alpha Romeo hardtop ...

443bb3c335798af7eff5738530c48a41.jpg

Made by Xcelite in California. They sold a lot of them as "factory" hardtops, because the importer must have had them offered through the dealerships. I've only seen one other US 124 with the boattail hardtop, but I saw a few in Europe back in the 1980s.

Back when the 124s were big in the US, pretty much anything that connected them to the more expensive Alpha was sought after. But if you look at the Fiat Stag from the same era, you can see why Fiat didn't use the bubble top as their chosen hardtop ...

47613_2.jpg

That Stag hardtop was made by the same company as the Fiat boat tail hardtop on mine, and it had glass, not plexiglass. The Alpha top was half the weight of mine, which is about 80 lbs., and it was supposed to support the weight of the car in a rollover.

The one on the Stag is the only one that looks even remotely close to good. A 124 should only ever have a soft top, and it should be down unless it's raining or you need to keep the cats out of it while garaged. 

1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

The one on the Stag is the only one that looks even remotely close to good. A 124 should only ever have a soft top, and it should be down unless it's raining or you need to keep the cats out of it while garaged. 

The Stag hardtop was from the same builder as mine, same seams, but white bonded vinyl instead of black. The Stag did look excellent. And back when mine was a daily driver for me, you're right, I not only never used the hardtop, but I rarely even raised the ragtop. If it was raining like a nightmare, or if the snow was deep enough to warrant concentration,  or if I parked in a neighborhood that encouraged trash and sputum in the car, then the softtop went up. But if it was a rough area, top down all the time, because I would have rather had the petty thief take my sacrificial Lucky Strikes and Kool Moe Dee cassettes, than first slice apart apart the roof, and then take my sacrificial Lucky Strikes and Kool Moe Dee cassettes.

I tell ya, pre-classic cars are truly wasted on dumbass teenagers like I was.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

I remember seeing the Starion for the first time back in 1983 or so, it was an incredibly advanced vehicle for that time ... turbo, very low drag, multiport fuel, the late injection boost, cooled intake, the dash looked like a video game, but actually gave the drivers things they could use to drive faster, like boost delay. That was a fast car, Mitsubishi was way on top of their game with that car. I assume the reason you burned through clutch plates was because it was too thin to handle the turbo. Didn't Chrysler fuck it up with some of their OEM suppliers?

Yes they did. The dealer told me if I got a better clutch, the tranny wouldn't even make the 75K the original one did. The car was VERY fun to drive in dry weather and got 28-32 MPG in highway cruising. The electronic dash was actually pretty cool with a bar graph tach. On the down side the car was pretty bad in rain and the second worst car I have ever driven in snow, the Mercedes 190 taking 1st prize there because it crashed in park :o* Driving in rain I learned to jab the brakes to try and force water out from under the front tires before turning, otherwise you could turn the wheel all you wanted to and the car would just keep going straight :rolleyes:

* it was snowing/icing while I was at work. I got in the Mercedes and before I could even start the thing it slid down the parking lot and into the woods.

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

Mine has the original red interior, instead of the black, that's also kind of unusual, because most of the US imports had the black or tan interiors. But I would like to do the electronc ignition, new carb, a better fuel pump, the Pininfarina wire wheels and it needs a new rag top. All of that relies on the teenagers not destroying it, if corse.

Mine also had red interior -and was an ex California car that was imported to AU and converted.

I had electronic ignition. And twin 45 webbers. And longer duration cams (similar to the 1608 engine). And 11:1 compression. And tuned equal length 4:1 headers into an open 2" system. Lowered with adjustable KONI dampers. LSD. 15" simmons wheels with 205/50 rubber all around. Bumpers replaced with bumperettes.

Went quite well.

Problem then becomes the chassis flexing. I should have had it seam welded when I added the roll bar.

Sold it to buy a lotus 7 clone -which is faster, but not as cool.

7 hours ago, Se7en said:

Mine also had red interior -and was an ex California car that was imported to AU and converted.

I had electronic ignition. And twin 45 webbers. And longer duration cams (similar to the 1608 engine). And 11:1 compression. And tuned equal length 4:1 headers into an open 2" system. Lowered with adjustable KONI dampers. LSD. 15" simmons wheels with 205/50 rubber all around. Bumpers replaced with bumperettes.

Went quite well.

Problem then becomes the chassis flexing. I should have had it seam welded when I added the roll bar.

Sold it to buy a lotus 7 clone -which is faster, but not as cool.

Do you still see a good number of 124s around Oz? They switched the steering for you?

Australia had the Alfa Graduate, I think we never got that one here. What did you put into your Lotus 7?

You know a rare car here that I have the most regret that I didn't purchase? An Alpine Tiger, sitting unused and unloved, the guy wanted $3k for it, I remember going out to see it three times, I planned to buy it for my sister and fix it up. Each time I was sure I was going to purchase it, and then I got there, and it was rough, and I changed my mind. Stupid. it pretty much looked like the one on Jalopnik, so much so that were it not separated by a span of 30-some years, I would think it is the same vehicle.

p1c2tkzorl4h3ogxrozt.jpg

One car that everyone loved at the time, but everyone hates in retrospect, the TR-7 Convertible.  What an epic piece of shit that car was, but damned if that thing wasn't the sexiest thing on the road back in 1982.

1576935.jpg

And of course, every man needs to have a car that he knows he will never be able to get, the one that he will never be able to afford, never be able to nurse. For me, that vehicle is the Alfa Montreal ... ooh la lah ...

405451-1000-0@2x.jpg?rev=2

yeah, I get it, Pininfarina owns me ... but Marcello Gandini of Bertone owned the soul of Satan himself, he had it locked in his clutched hand when he made the baddest, sexiest Alfa in history.

Anyway, regarding the Fiat flex, a friend still runs the old 124s in his road rallies in Alabama. He ran both the 124 and the Miata. He told me that the Miata needed a ton of work to be rally-ready, stiffening all over, but the 124 was already pretty stiff, it just needed the roll bar and some minor reinforcement, compared to the Miata. But once he got the Miata to where he needed it to be, it ran forever. The Japanese may not make the most beautiful cars, but a reliable engine is a thing of beauty that the Italians never really mastered until they let the Japanese build their cars for them ... the new 124 is supposedly a rebadged Miata MX5.

Quick, which one is the Fiat?

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Do you still see a good number of 124s around Oz? They switched the steering for you?

Australia had the Alfa Graduate, I think we never got that one here. What did you put into your Lotus 7?

We had the 124 sedans and fastbacks which were made as factory RHD - so we were able to use the components from those to convert the 124 spyders to RHD. Plus the 131 in RHD (which I also owned for a while)

Still see a few 124 spyders around - but obviously I look out for them. 

Yep - we had the graduate, they were worth $20k at the time I bought my spyder for $10k. (I always preferred the rounded rear, similar to the alpha 105s) Interestingly enough they are both worth similar money now.

I'll take a Lancia Stratos if we are giving away fantasy cars thanks. Although the fiat X 1/9 was a similar and much cheaper option from Bertone with many of the same styling cues.

I have a toyota 4age in my PRB (local lotus 7 clone). 20 valve head, quad throttle body standard. Then you go silly with cams etc and mines good for around 180 hp. Not bad for a NA 1600. You do need to rev it a bit to get that though. Even better when the car weighs just over 1000 lbs. (it's 530 kilos).

Oh - back on topic we have a Mitsubishi Challenger (or Pajero Sport). Mechanically has been good, but some silly electrical issues. Cost less than a 4 door wrangler, and is quite capable. Used in Snow /Beach regularly, some tracks occasional. Booring as batshit of course, it's the first commodity vehicle I've owned. Has served the purpose of loading kids and stuff for trips away, and I don't cry about scratches or dings. 10 year drive train warranty. Poverty pack interior, but not able to hose out.

I've only ever owned Honda or Toyota (except the last one horrible Subaru)

Every time I buy a new (second hand) car, I've tried out a Mutsubiffy,, there's just something wrong, heavy feel, clunky, crappy interior.,,just no appeal.

Anybody else see shades of AMC in the back 1/3 of this car? Still not sure how I feel about this one.

1 hour ago, wallcfa said:

Anybody else see shades of AMC in the back 1/3 of this car? Still not sure how I feel about this one.

Detroit stole from Bertone through the 1970s. The Montreal was designed by Marcello Gandini for Bertone back in 1965, for the Montreal Expo in '67. The first year in production in 1970.

Yes, Pininfarina has made some of the most beautiful cars, but Bertone created the utility visual signature that pretty much defined U.S. and Japanese sports car designs for the 70s and 80s.

Jalopnik once called that design one of the top ten scariest cars of all time, https://jalopnik.com/5071242/the-ten-scariest-looking-cars-of-all-time

But my favorite was for the Lincoln Continental Mark III;

Few vehicles bring the promise of misadventure and doom than a Lincoln Mark III. Squelch on a bet? A bookie in a Mark III is going to show up at your door and throw you onto the 16 acres of hood real estate. Drop a dime on a gangster? A dude named Tony and his friends Anthony and Anton will be happy to make room for you — in the trunk. Unlike the softer, luxurious luxury cars of the era, the Mark III clearly states that it means business. All black and chrome with those covered headlights, this Lincoln is prepared for stealthy mayhem.

aed247815695694afda212622290b803--dark-r

^^^ I dated a girl whose father had that exact car and I drove it often (1995-1996). It's a Low Man car straight out of Hearts in Atlantis.