duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

Piracy while your on the go is non-existent up there. Park over night a bit dodgy...3rd night in one place you're probably fucked without making some chieftien arrangements. I suggest they don't want to add what potentially could be a huge spread in the fleet due to safety concerns. A rescuer in that part of the world is your fellow competitor, not the locals.

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I suggest they don't want to add what potentially could be a huge spread in the fleet due to safety concerns. 

well - if that's the case - its a bit piss-weak. 

It risks turning into a follow-the-leader parade, no hope of backmarkers trying something off the wall.

Dunc I said "huge spread" meaning hundreds of miles caused by going into the ITCZ and a huge lump of dirt in the middle. That is a big big fleet area for the RO to worry about with no SAR within cooee. That said heaps of opportunities for big splits even with that WP and as you desire to exist.

It seems to me that VOR and the fangroup, wet themselves when the boats come into port within a few minutes of each other.
This is just one more thing to keep that happening.

Models of ocean currents are still pretty rough, IIRC.

So, if local knowledge of the eddies and gyros will be important, good to see Juan Vila using WOXI to check out the coastline currents from Sydney to the Bass Straits :P

Forecasting the Pacific is harder - ECMWF is consistently 5 days better than GFS, but the Pacific is where it has the fewest data points. This leg, and the leg after will be best routed by reverting to historical data & setting intermediate waypoints (let's try and get us around here by such a such a date) - relying on Adrena will send you into a high pressure of hell as you arrive 2 days outside of the forecast accuracy range. For example?

Go to the forecast around New Caledonia and Solomon Islands - pick January 3 and 4. Then click between ECMWF and GFS. 

It'll be bloody insane to do the click a button navigation this time around.

As always. Does anyone ever think they can click-route 100%? Sheesh. No science has ever been able to fully predict weather anywhere, let alone the complex interaction between people understanding weather. 

If you're sailing from Canary islands to Cape Town, and ignore idiots who tell you to bash down the coast, you can basically click a button and it'll get you there. 

The area between New Caledonia, Solomon and Guam is a nightmare. 

A broken foot and a little broken bone in here back prevent Annie Lush from sailing in Leg 4 to Hong Kong. She is replaced by ex-SCA Sally Barkow #teambrunel

The full Dongfeng Race Team crew for Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong is as follows:

Charles Caudrelier (FRA) – skipper

Franck Cammas (FRA) – navigator

Daryl Wislang (NZL) – watch captain

Jeremie Beyou (FRA) – watch captain

Carolijn Brouwer (NL) – trimmer

Justine Mettraux (SUI) – trimmer

Kevin Escoffier (FRA) – bowman

Chen Jinhao ‘Horace’ (CHN) – bowman

Jack Bouttell (AUS/GBR) - bowman

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Cammas is hardly a downgrade. Go the dongers.

Have to wonder...if the injury to pascal was as serious as they made it seem maybe that's part of the reason to their eventual loss to MAPFRE. I give full credit to Xue Liu(Black) but I don't think he was driving the boat in 25+ downhill. That in addition to an injury to Pascal puts them down on drivers and grunt. Certainly would account for their losses in the short gybing down the ice gate. 

Cammas gives them a world class helmsman and fantastic navigator. 

Beyou on for Stu and Daryl Wislang back on for Fabien Delahaye who replaced him at the 11th hour in cape town. 

• Like 3

I know there really isn't a front page, but while cruising the wonderful wild world affectionately known as the internet, I found this...

Dongfeng Crew Changes

Partly planned strategy,  like most of the teams, and partly due to medical issues Dongfeng Race Team will have some crew changes for the homecoming race to China.

Some noticed in Dongfeng’s Melbourne arrival video that Pascal rather brusquely pushed Black away after Black had just given him a bear hug and lifted him into the air. I can reveal this was not because any ‘poor team spirit’ as some speculated but Pascal was nursing what was a suspected broken rib. The spirit of the team is at an extremely high level as evidenced by the Christmas video sent off the boat.

I am happy to confirm that although the injury is still very painful the rib is, in fact, still in one piece. It does mean however that the team feel it is wise for Pascal to sit out the leg to Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

It is kind of cool that, in a situation like this Skipper Charles Caudrelier can invite his best mate to come for a ‘bit of a Yot’ up to China. Even cooler when your best mate is none other than Franck Cammas, French sailing legend and former winning skipper of the Volvo Ocean Race (along with multiple other events including Figaro, Jacques Vabre and a handful of World Championships).

Like Pascal, Franck has in the past been Charles’ skipper so the sailing bond is also strong and packing Franck as replacement navigator to Pascal, albeit temporarily, maintains the quality of this multi-national crew while also showing the strength in depth of the Dongfeng pool

Returning after injury is Daryl Wislang with the Kiwi fully recovered from the injury that required his urgent replacement just hours before the leg 3 start with Stu Bannantyne taking a well earned rest.

Also resting is Marie Riou with her spot being taken by Swiss sailor Justine Mettraux, adding one more nationality to the team roster.

For those not familiar with the name, Justine was one of the SCA team in the last edition and has already tasted Volvo leg victory being on boat when the team led the fleet into L’Orent.

Horace is back on board for Black, completing the roster changes.

The full crew list is as follows; Charles Caudrelier (FRA) – skipper, Franck Cammas (FRA) – navigator, Daryl Wislang (NZL) – watch captain, Jeremie Beyou (FRA) – watch captain, Carolijn Brouwer (NL) – trimmer, Justine Mettraux (SUI) – trimmer, Kevin Escoffier (FRA) – bowman, Chen Jinhao (Horace) (CHN) – bowman & Jack Bouttell (AUS/GBR) – bowman.

9 crew, 6 Nations!

It should be noted that not only is this a homecoming leg for Dongfeng Race Team but with the recent announcement by Geely Automotive based Hangzhou, China makes this a homecoming leg for the Volvo Ocean Race itself.

Geely already owned Volvo Cars and as such were 50% stakeholders in the VOR but an announcement of the purchase of 8.2% of Volvo AB, in effect makes them the majority stakeholder in the Volvo Ocean Race itself. Perhaps that fact may encourage more Chinese entries in future events. – Shanghai Sailor

---------------

Thanks Mr. Shanghai Sailor. Us DFRT (and French sailing enthusiast) enjoyed this, at least one of us did.

7 hours ago, ASP said:

Have to wonder...if the injury to pascal was as serious as they made it seem maybe that's part of the reason to their eventual loss to MAPFRE. I give full credit to Xue Liu(Black) but I don't think he was driving the boat in 25+ downhill. That in addition to an injury to Pascal puts them down on drivers and grunt. Certainly would account for their losses in the short gybing down the ice gate. 

Beyou on for Stu and Daryl Wislang back on for Fabien Delahaye who replaced him at the 11th hour in cape town. 

Cammas on board is great news!

I'm afraid Pascal's injury can't explain why DF made the move that lost them the lead, not covering Mapfre on December 20th (screenshot, with the gybe north and my best black arrow), and let the Spaniards closer to the ice limit for some time, with better winds. That's when Mapfre overtook DF. The gybing battle later was a nail in the coffin, but the losing move for DF was earlier.

gybe.JPG

• Like 2

Yes, they were 20nm in the lead at the maximum I think, that was indeed a losing move ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Varan said:

I know there really isn't a front page, but while cruising the wonderful wild world affectionately known as the internet, I found this...

Dongfeng Crew Changes

Partly planned strategy,  like most of the teams, and partly due to medical issues Dongfeng Race Team will have some crew changes for the homecoming race to China.

Some noticed in Dongfeng’s Melbourne arrival video that Pascal rather brusquely pushed Black away after Black had just given him a bear hug and lifted him into the air. I can reveal this was not because any ‘poor team spirit’ as some speculated but Pascal was nursing what was a suspected broken rib. The spirit of the team is at an extremely high level as evidenced by the Christmas video sent off the boat.

I am happy to confirm that although the injury is still very painful the rib is, in fact, still in one piece. It does mean however that the team feel it is wise for Pascal to sit out the leg to Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

It is kind of cool that, in a situation like this Skipper Charles Caudrelier can invite his best mate to come for a ‘bit of a Yot’ up to China. Even cooler when your best mate is none other than Franck Cammas, French sailing legend and former winning skipper of the Volvo Ocean Race (along with multiple other events including Figaro, Jacques Vabre and a handful of World Championships).

Like Pascal, Franck has in the past been Charles’ skipper so the sailing bond is also strong and packing Franck as replacement navigator to Pascal, albeit temporarily, maintains the quality of this multi-national crew while also showing the strength in depth of the Dongfeng pool

Returning after injury is Daryl Wislang with the Kiwi fully recovered from the injury that required his urgent replacement just hours before the leg 3 start with Stu Bannantyne taking a well earned rest.

Also resting is Marie Riou with her spot being taken by Swiss sailor Justine Mettraux, adding one more nationality to the team roster.

For those not familiar with the name, Justine was one of the SCA team in the last edition and has already tasted Volvo leg victory being on boat when the team led the fleet into L’Orent.

Horace is back on board for Black, completing the roster changes.

The full crew list is as follows; Charles Caudrelier (FRA) – skipper, Franck Cammas (FRA) – navigator, Daryl Wislang (NZL) – watch captain, Jeremie Beyou (FRA) – watch captain, Carolijn Brouwer (NL) – trimmer, Justine Mettraux (SUI) – trimmer, Kevin Escoffier (FRA) – bowman, Chen Jinhao (Horace) (CHN) – bowman & Jack Bouttell (AUS/GBR) – bowman.

9 crew, 6 Nations!

It should be noted that not only is this a homecoming leg for Dongfeng Race Team but with the recent announcement by Geely Automotive based Hangzhou, China makes this a homecoming leg for the Volvo Ocean Race itself.

Geely already owned Volvo Cars and as such were 50% stakeholders in the VOR but an announcement of the purchase of 8.2% of Volvo AB, in effect makes them the majority stakeholder in the Volvo Ocean Race itself. Perhaps that fact may encourage more Chinese entries in future events. – Shanghai Sailor

---------------

Thanks Mr. Shanghai Sailor. Us DFRT (and French sailing enthusiast) enjoyed this, at least one of us did.

Why thank you Varan, it's nice to be appreciated.

SS

Bugger, I wanted to start this thread and call it "The not so slow boat(s) to China" ha ha

Mei Wenti (Chinese for no problem)

See youse all in HK and China proper. Heading south next week to be on the ground (and hopefully the water) early.

SS

9 hours ago, ASP said:

Pascal was washed into the wheel guard (if that's its correct name) for'rard of the wheel. Damaged a rib which thankfully is not broken. If anyone has any doubts to how painful it is watch the arrival in Melbourne video and see how he pushes Black away, an automatic "fuck that's sore" reaction. Difficult to concentrate when being bounced around while in severe pain.

But what an option for Charles. Your navigator and former skipper is injured so you can call on another navigator and former skipper who just happens to be your buddy to come along for a leg

Black is a star, a nice kid (well kid relative to an old fart like me) and as honest and straight as the day is long. Then having Daryl and Jeremie on board hardly weakens the team.

All of the Chinese sailing community is rooting for them for a good performance up to China.

SS

Crew changes for Brunel:

TEAM BRUNEL BRINGS IN EXPERIENCED AND TALENTED NEW POWERS

Jens Dolmer (DEN), Sally Barkow (USA), Sam Newton (AUS) and Rome Kirby (USA) join Team Brunel in the Volvo Ocean Race for Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong. The foursome will take the positions of Louis Balcaen, Annie Lush, Alberto Bolzan and Peter Burling. The fleet will leave Melbourne on Tuesday, January 2nd.

Replacing Burling and Balcaen was planned
Bouwe Bekking, the most experienced skipper of the fleet, explains: “It was always the plan that Burling and Balcaen went home after this leg. Burling has sailed everything from the start and also has some America’s Cup obligations in the coming weeks."

“That we had to replace Annie after her injury is obvious. We felt we need to give Alberto some extra recovery time after this heavy Southern Ocean. This is sport at it's highest level and you have to be 100% fit. Better to take rest now and return later in the race.”

Bekking happy with new powers
The skipper is happy with his new reinforcements. The veteran skipper is looking forward to set sails to Hong Kong with them. Bekking: “The idea was to bring in Juanpa Marcos and Jens Dolmer, but Juanpa his first baby is still not born, so he couldn't leave home to join the race."

“Jens is one the most competitive team players I know and we have done a lot of campaigns together. He has a reputation of an ocean racer with many technical skills. With this extremely short stopover in Melbourne, only sailors and two shore crew members are allowed to work on the boat. It was a no-brainer to bring Jens in at this moment. With Jens and Abby we now have two excellent boat captains who will do far more than just assisting the engineering team. We expect they can make the difference in getting the boat in an even better shape for the following leg.”

“We are really happy with Sally Barkow stepping in for Annie. I know Sally a bit from the previous edition when she was on board Team SCA with Abby and Annie. Both of them are more than confident that she will fit in our Team Brunel.”

“Rome, I know, but never sailed with him. I’m looking forward to sail with him. On paper he really fits in our philosophy of engineering a new generation. The same is true for Sam Newton. His sailing resume tells you enough. I don’t have any doubts about their sailing qualities. Kyle and Capey talking highly of the both of them. Kyle has done two America’s Cup campaigns with both of them.”

More story, crew bios and photos here:

https://brunelsailing.net/news/Dolmer-Barkow-Newton-Kirby-join-team-brunel

• Like 1

We are very happy to report good progress with the @SouthernSpars repair to the #teamAkzoNobel mast in #Melbourne

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 1.53.05 PM.png

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Pascal was washed into the wheel guard (if that's its correct name) for'rard of the wheel. Damaged a rib which thankfully is not broken. 

Hm. I should write an article about how dangerous the wet boats are and how we now will talk about wether men are up for these conditions....:ph34r:

• Like 15

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Geely already owned Volvo Cars and as such were 50% stakeholders in the VOR but an announcement of the purchase of 8.2% of Volvo AB, in effect makes them the majority stakeholder in the Volvo Ocean Race itself.

No surprise.

17 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Hm. I should write an article about how dangerous the wet boats are and how we now will talk about wether men are up for these conditions....:ph34r:

Touche sorry I don't have the font to put an acute on the e :-)

• Like 1

Google Translation

What's different about the Melbourne stop?

28/12/2017 |

Qualified by the organization as Pit-Stop , a pit stop, this scale of the Volvo Ocean Race in Melbourne has a number of peculiarities that affect how the fleet has prepared, and is prepared, for the fourth stage that begins on 2 from January. You did not know? Well, here we explain them.

MAPFRE, in its mooring in Melbourne © Maria Muiña / MAPFRE

Can you take the boat out of the water? 
Do not.

Can you get the stick? 
Do not.

Is it possible to change a candle of the third stage? 
No, they have to sail with the same sails as in the previous stage.

Who can work on the set-up of the boat? 
Only the crew that will sail in the fourth stage, between Melbourne and Hong Kong, and the two people of the ground team designated by the team and previously communicated to the race management. In the case of MAPFRE, in addition to the nine crew members, they are Santi Pablos -boat captain- and Juan Pinacho -rigger-.

Is there the possibility of having an external worker for specific jobs? 
Yes, but not any kind of external personnel. Teams can hire a diver to dive the boat but it can only clean the surface of the hull - not the deck - and the appendices. In the case of MAPFRE, no one has been hired to do so.

What tools can and can not be used for the set-up? 
The work to be done on the boat has to be done in the mooring that the organization has assigned to each team and using only the spare parts and tools with which the ship left Cape Town with the exception of two cleaning devices: a vacuum cleaner and a dehumidifier, which can be boarded and used even if they were not on board during the last stage.

Can you load food on board for the fourth stage? 
Yes, but ... when leaving Cape Town a minimum of 95 kg of lyophilized food had to be in front of the loaded and sealed bow bulkhead, as well as remain on board until the Melbourne exit. On December 31 those seals will be broken only to be able to stow the food again and organize it in the corresponding stage bags.

And the gas bottles for cooking? 
Along with the food for the fourth stage mentioned above, in Cape Town, 10 kg of gas bottles were sealed to heat the water to cook the lyophilized food.

Can you do some training in Melbourne? 
No. The VO65 can only leave their tie to play on Sunday, the 30th, the Pro-Am regatta.

Is the In-Port race contested? 
No, only the Pro-Am.

If any of these restrictions are breached, the equipment may be penalized.

Women making waves in Volvo Ocean Race

Five women, including celebrities Ashley Judd and Taylor Swift, appeared on the cover of Time magazine, heralded as the “2017 Person of the Year.” From Hollywood to Capitol Hill, thousands of women are stepping forward and this movement now extends to the high seas. 

For the first time, every boat in the Volvo Ocean Race has at least one female sailor on-board. The 13th edition of the race, first known as the Whitbread Round-the-World Race, began in late October in Alicante, Spain, featuring seven boats for the 45,000 nautical mile contest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-making-waves-in-volvo-ocean-race_us_5a453441e4b0d86c803c7579

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Google Translation

What's different about the Melbourne stop?

28/12/2017 |

Is it possible to change a candle of the third stage? 
No, they have to sail with the same sails as in the previous stage.

They can't change their candles??
Bloody hell, this is brutal.

• Like 4

Giving the boat a good once over before we head to Hong Kong! @volvooceanrace @TurnTidePlastic

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 4.44.09 PM.png

1 hour ago, ModernViking said:

They can't change their candles??
Bloody hell, this is brutal.

vela (Spanish) = candle or sail 

Melbourne Pro Am cancelled today...

Wonder why they didn't just setup shop at the Wiliamstown marina. Wouldn't have to deal with the Bolte Bridge. 

Less chance to break something.

Changes to leg 4: Orange instead of start flag, a mark in the bay, different vhf channel. Most importantly striking the RRS 32.2 changes, no more course shortening after someone has finished.

Nothing about the interesting stuff, how the repairs get handled. Makes me want a team to protest the rest just so we find out. S2H drama is also winding down, time to stir the pot. =) 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Wonder why they didn't just setup shop at the Wiliamstown marina. Wouldn't have to deal with the Bolte Bridge. 

Not enough water.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance' - one of Stu Bannatyne's favourite sayings.

Dongfeng Race Team have been working hard to get ready for Leg 4.

Keel ram update from our boat captain coming . @volvooceanrace

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 4.21.33 AM.png

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Proper preparation prevents poor performance' - one of Stu Bannatyne's favourite sayings.

should be 6P's

Piss Poor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Any reason why?

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 3.47.03 PM.png

Awesome.

Just now, Sailbydate said:

Awesome.

Yeah.  Thought it was a good one.

35 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Any reason why?

I hear that although there is a good 15-20 knots in the bay for the Pro-Am it is a bad 15-20 knots for getting the boats through the bridge.

SS

• Like 2

Caught one of the volunteers in the race village today and asked why the Pro-Am was cancelled: they just shook their head and mumbled too much breeze in the bay, and the hassle of getting the boats out under the bridge and back in.  Pretty easy to tell even the local staff were disappointed in the quality of the event, and blamed the holidays and the Ashes test for stealing the spotlight.

Mapfre at least went out and put sails up to give the VIPs a tour - only boat to do so.  Scallywag went out under the bridge and came back 20min later.

There was a lot more activity on the dock today.  Lots of teams looked like they were giving sponsors/family/crew tours of the boats.

There is a Race Office on the 2nd floor of the Docklands mall, well away from the dock where the boats are moored.  We are leaving tomorrow and did not get a chance to see if they had an official notice board posted.  Maybe one of the other anarchists can poke their head in and ask about penalties or jury requests for all the repairs to Dongfeng, Scallywag, and Akzo that required outside assistance?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BOQ+Docklands/@-37.8142707,144.9386631,18.83z/data=!3m1!5s0x6ad65d680955e721:0x881f184484731ebc!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad65d5d5584d49d:0xaaff9ea5bb3bee78!8m2!3d-37.8140766!4d144.9390328!5m1!1e1

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mid said:

should be 6P's

Piss Poor

Our work motto, has been for years. 

5 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

That sucked, Melbourne not doing a good job of hosting, no information on the Pro Am either, some sort of twitface note or something would of been nice. Mapfre were out there doing joy rides, taking 6 or so guests at a time for a blast down the bay and back, good on them, keeping sponsors happy and giving boat fans something to watch at least. 

The best spot for them to pull in would probably in the river at Pier 35, don't have to contend with the low bridge, but it's a bit of a dead end there, and hotels etc a bit further up the road.

Here's a shot of Mapfre today, they had a reef in and just rolled out a fractional heady (don't know what they call it).

IMG_20171230_134412577.jpg.35d8954d6b28366ef4b2f130286f4a34.jpg

The Volvo organisers have seriously made a mess with this stopover, from the ‘pit-stop’ element and all the way through to promoting the event there it seems. 

What happens if they have too much breeze to get the boats back out from the bridge before the start? Put it on hold for a couple of days?

No wonder the new race directors are keeping their heads down. 

40 minutes ago, mad said:

No wonder the new race directors are keeping their heads down. 

I think with zip after 2 legs since announced they have now gone from a "heads down" to a "don't exist".

Maybe randumb and LB are running the VOR now?

Team AkzoNobel crew list for Leg 4:

Simeon Tienpont (NED) - skipper
Brad Farrand (NZL)
Martine Grael (BRA)
Cécile Laguette (FRA)
Luke Molloy (AUS)
Chris Nicholson (AUS)
Jules Salter (GBR)
Nicolai Sehested (DEN)
Peter van Niekerk (NED)

Team AkzoNobel to return to full competitive trim for Volvo Ocean Race Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong

30 December 2017

Mast repair nears completion in Melbourne

Team AkzoNobel will start the fourth leg of the Volvo Ocean Race around the world in full competitive trim after successfully repairing damage to the team’s mast and mainsail during a scheduled pit stop in Melbourne, Australia.

The damage happened in stormy conditions in the Southern Ocean on the fourth day of the race’s third leg from Cape Town. Team AkzoNobel’s crew of seven men and two women were able to effect temporary repairs but lost touch with the main fleet and arrived in Melbourne in seventh place.

The team’s late arrival meant time was tight to carry out a full repair to the mast which had to be un-stepped from the boat at a local shipyard by staff from the Volvo Ocean Race’s Boatyard shared services team and worked on around the clock by technicians from fleet mast manufacturer Southern Spars.

Happily, the repair work has gone smoothly and the team expect to be able to re-step the mast over the weekend followed by a test sail ahead of the Leg 4 start on Tuesday, January 2.

“We are confident of being on the start line with the boat back to 100 per cent,” said team AkzoNobel skipper Simeon Tienpont. “We needed a quick turnaround after arriving late but some fantastic work by our shore team, the Volvo Ocean Race staff and the guys from Southern Spars means we will be able to race competitively on Leg 4.”

Team AkzoNobel has announced three scheduled crew changes for the 11,000-kilometer fourth stage from Melbourne to Hong Kong. 

Luke Molloy (AUS) and Peter van Niekerk (NED) return to the crew after being rested for Leg 3, while French Figaro solo sailor Cécile Laguette joins the team AkzoNobel crew for the first time.

Justin Ferris (NZL), Alex Pella (ESP) and Emily Nagel (BER/GBR) will all be rested for Leg 4. 

Newcomer Laguette (31) was a reserve crewmember for the all-women Team SCA entry in the 2014-15 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race when she also worked as a technician at the Volvo Ocean Race Boatyard. 

Since then Laguette – who holds a Bachelor of Engineering, Naval Architecture from England’s Southampton University and a Master of Engineering degree in Composite Materials from New Zealand’s University of Auckland – has twice skippered her own solo campaign in France’s highly competitive Solitaire du Figaro regatta circuit.   

I’m very excited to be able to be a part of the team AkzoNobel campaign,” Laguette said. “This will be my first time competing in this race and I’m looking forward to being out there racing against the other teams. It’s a great opportunity. My goal is to work hard and slot in to the crew as quickly as possible.”

Leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race will see the seven-boat fleet first race up the eastern coast of Australia before re-crossing the equator into the northern hemisphere and turning north west to pass to the east of the Solomon and Philippines Pacific island chains.

The weather along the way could be complex with the crews likely to enjoy pleasant trade wind sailing either side of the equatorial light-wind Doldrums zone, but also running the risk of encountering fierce typhoon storms on the way to Hong Kong.

Team AkzoNobel currently lies in sixth place in the overall Volvo Ocean Race standings with eight legs of the eight-month round the world race to go. 

Leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race is scheduled to start from Melbourne at 1400 AEDT (0300 UTC/0400 CET) on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 and is forecast to take close to 18 days to complete, with the leaders expected to arrive in Hong Kong around January 20.

https://www.teamakzonobel.com/news/team-akzonobel-to-return-to-full-competitive-trim-for-volvo-ocean-race-leg-4-from-melbourne-to-hong-kong

13 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race is scheduled to start from Melbourne at 1400 AEDT (0300 UTC/0400 CET) on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 and is forecast to take close to 18 days to complete, with the leaders expected to arrive in Hong Kong around January 20.

Any word on live coverage? Nothing on the VOR site... that I see.

BTW... that's 7pm Pacific Jan 1, for those this side of the IDL.

2 minutes ago, mdeh said:

Any word on live coverage? Nothing on the VOR site... that I see.

BTW... that's 7pm Pacific Jan 1, for those this side of the IDL.

7pm is civilized.  Assuming Live will start 20 - 30 minutes prior either on FB or VO site or both.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, southerncross said:

Thanks for posting this link southern.

I have been trying to find some news about the ram. Good to see it replaced properly, otherwise presumably DF would have been out of the race.  T'would be nice to see some actual news about what is going on in the race presented by the organisers and not only from the entrants. Obviously DF had to have this work done properly and a ram failure like this has nothing to do with how the boat was sailed, but I doubt that the spare ram and all the necessary tools were carried on board from SA. Presumably the organisers have been involved a little in what has been happening in Melbourne? Likewise with the sail track repair on Akzo, where again it is obvious to me that a proper repair was sensible if only on safety grounds, but the damage could possibly be laid more at the door of the crew. Hindsight is great but much of what is going on seems slighlty different from what was envisaged in VOR's palanning for this "no assistance stopover", so it would be interesting to read the decision processes and justifications which have been going on. The VOR website and its "news" link does not of course lead to anything interesting concerning the management of the race itself.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, staysail said:

presumably

Presumption is the key word, Staysail.  Scraping to find any word at all.  The Stopovers have become vacuous.  Nick Bice would give an update of all the repairs. Gone.  

I think the VOR needs an on-site OBR for the Stopovers and Pit Stops, someone who goes around to the various crews and boats and Race Village to check in and report on what's going on rather than rely on the teams to do it.  Someone like Sailorgirl or someone who is passionate about the race.  Pop in to the Dongfeng camp.  Then run over to check over to check on Akzo's mast.  Interview a crew here and there.  Keep the interest going.  There are a lot of interesting stories to tell.

• Like 3

It is quite telling to click on all of the links under "THE FUTURE" in the VOR website menu. The last link is just a "contact us" style page, but according to all the other articles about "the future" it is quite clear that Mark Turner is the boss. The new boss, whoever that might be, has not even bothered to revise or update the organisation's public vision of the future!

(presumably the VOR will have a future beyond MT?)

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

7pm is civilized.  Assuming Live will start 20 - 30 minutes prior either on FB or VO site or both.

I have always enjoyed that about sporting events on that side of the globe, from the North American West coast perspective anyway, smack dab in prime time.

If there's no penalty then they should really come out and change the non haul out/pulling rig stopovers to stopovers with limited VOR services.

Also all that extra packaged gas and food was just... Stupid. 

On 12/29/2017 at 5:54 AM, southerncross said:

''We are very happy to report a new promotion for SouthernSpars ...this week only, order a mast and it comes with it's own repair team!''

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 1.53.05 PM.png

On 12/29/2017 at 7:51 AM, southerncross said:

Women making waves in Volvo Ocean Race

Five women, including celebrities Ashley Judd and Taylor Swift, appeared on the cover of Time magazine, heralded as the “2017 Person of the Year.” From Hollywood to Capitol Hill, thousands of women are stepping forward and this movement now extends to the high seas. 

For the first time, every boat in the Volvo Ocean Race has at least one female sailor on-board. The 13th edition of the race, first known as the Whitbread Round-the-World Race, began in late October in Alicante, Spain, featuring seven boats for the 45,000 nautical mile contest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-making-waves-in-volvo-ocean-race_us_5a453441e4b0d86c803c7579

Good article... I imagine the pics will find their way onto the walls of some sailor gals,,, boys too for that matter!  Better than Donny Osmond!  :D

5a45349d21000018005f6236.jpg?ops=scalefit_820_noupscale

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

Good article... I imagine the pics will find their way onto the walls of some sailor gals,,, boys too for that matter!  Better than Donny Osmond!  :D

5a45349d21000018005f6236.jpg?ops=scalefit_820_noupscale

To be fair, Donny has just turned 60. ;)

V11 crew for leg 4: 
Roberto Bermudez de Castro - aka Chuny - (ESP)
Nick Dana (USA)
Hannah Diamond (UK)
Phil Harmer (AUS)
Simon Fisher - aka SiFi - (UK) - Navigator
Stacey Jackson (AUS)
Tom Johnson (AUS)
Tony Mutter (NZL)
Mark Towill (USA) - Skipper 
Amory Ross (USA) - Onboard Reporter

Charlie back home due to family medical stuff (wish him the very best).

Good to see Amory back in action. IMO the best OBR from 2011/12

8 hours ago, southerncross said:

I think the VOR needs an on-site OBR for the Stopovers and Pit Stops, someone who goes around to the various crews and boats and Race Village to check in and report on what's going on rather than rely on the teams to do it.  Someone like Sailorgirl or someone who is passionate about the race.  

Exactly. I remember saying that the OBRs should include an onshore reporter, but not just to report of the race village, but to report on the operation of the VOR management during the legs. Nic would be an interesting choice,  although her enthusiasm for the sport might get in the way of reporting on the dark side of what might be going on. We want reporting of the onshore component at the level we saw in the 2005 race - where we saw things warts and all.

I have always been a bit nervous about this race incorporating SE Asia since 2008/09 and the prospect of the fleet getting smashed by an extreme event in the months of January and February . Ten years ago the concept of the typhoon or at least the severe tropical storm season  in the Pacific Northwest ending in November and December was a pretty good bet. However I'm not too sure that can be relied upon any more.

In recent years three things have become evident. Tropical storms are now starting to be nearly a year round possibility. Secondly they appear to be forming  now more quickly and rising to maximum intensity very quickly. Finally their place of formation and track has become much larger and extending further south than ever before.

This combined with piracy risk in the Southern Phillipines and Malaysia is now close to making this part of the Pacific a year round no-go area for cruisers.

By way of example at a time of year when most people think the risk has diminished, the following has occured and in fact is occuring right now on the eve to the start of Leg 4. 

The 2017 season was relatively inactive but saved it's worst for last. One week after a severe storm ravaged the central Phillipines, Typhoon Tembin hit the southern Philippines island of Mindanao just a week ago on December 22. Tembin (called Vinta in the Philippines) peaked as a Category 1 (90 mph winds) and killed 240 people and left 107 missing. Mindanao is normally considered too far south to be an area of concern.

Now one week on a broad area of unsettled weather has been developing near Palau over the last couple of days. See photo below. That is expected to form into a severe low and hit tomorrow and regardless of development, expected to track across the southern Philippines with heavy rain at least into next week.

So that is three events in just three weeks, when officially the season is at an end and the risk should be low.

So for those who think this and Leg 5 are relatively benign in the weather department, maybe rethink that, as there is the potential for some real nastyness to occur.

pagasa.jpg

It would appear that the RC has simply ignored the bit in the modified  SIs where they shot themselves in the foot wrt to repairs in Melbourne, and gone with the part of the rules that says that the RC may authorise any repairs they see fit - and may refer requests for repair (including haul out and mast out) to the IJ. (One assumes in cases where they don't want to authorise them, but the request has been made by the boat.)

The rules do not require the IJ become involved, and do not call for any penalty. I'm not sure why there is a constant stream of questions asking where the IJ rulings and the penalties applied are - if the RC is going with what you might regard as the error free version of the rules the RC can have any repairs they see fit performed - and clearly they have done so.

As I wrote earlier, sanity is prevailing.

What is really annoying is the lack of any communication from the VOR race office. Maybe no-one wants to admit they are reinterpreting their own rules a little.

• Like 3

I used to sail boats out of Taiwan when they were more yachts being produced there. The conditions might be squally but once the monsoon has shifted well to northeasterly, the fleet should be safe as long as they don't turn West until South of Taiwan - which is where the waypoint directs them. 

I'd still be very concerned once passing north of Solomon Islands. Very squally and forecasts are terrible. You alternate from sitting on glass and gentle large kite to knockdown squalls in 30 minutes. They have radar, should use it. 

Perhaps more fitting for another thread, but with the warm weather this year and extreme late winter, I'm not sure March 18 start for leg 7 is early enough... Just my penny. 

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

To be fair, Donny has just turned 60. ;)

I don’t care how you feel about Donny, and as long you’re happy that’s ok.

But Martine is far more appealing in every way, well IMO anyway. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mad said:

I don’t care how you feel about Donny, and as long you’re happy that’s ok.

But Martine is far more appealing in every way, well IMO anyway. 

But will she still appeal at 60? ;)

9 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

But will she still appeal at 60? ;)

Way more than Donny has or will ever appeal to me!:lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mad said:

Way more than Donny has or will ever appeal to me!:lol:

A timeless classic.

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, ASP said:

30 minutes ago, spiggie said:

Wharro back  !!!!! watch out sunfish 

I guess they were worried there weren't enough dicks on the boat

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

In recent years three things have become evident. Tropical storms are now starting to be nearly a year round possibility. Secondly they appear to be forming  now more quickly and rising to maximum intensity very quickly. Finally their place of formation and track has become much larger and extending further south than ever before.

+11 

Absolutely spot on. My wife wrote a story about how climate change was affecting cruising sailors. She interviewed a bunch of well known meteorologists that are involved in sailboat weather forecasting such as Bob McDavitt, as well as very well informed amateurs like Herb Hilgenberg. Major topics they agreed on (paraphrasing and simplifying)

- shoulder seasons are getting shorter and more dangerous (i.e. east coast US sailors heading to the Caribbean in the fall or sailors heading to/from NZ before S.Pacific typhoon season)

- tropical storm season was getting longer; storms were stronger

- historical data was a lot less useful to them

- weather patterns they were used to seeing were less prevalent to non-existent.

It was a gloomy thought that in 20 years ocean cruising might be a lot more risky due to weather changes.

Just wondering, does anyone know (for a fact) which team is in the old Vestas boat, and who is sailing in the new 8th boat?
I am told that the current Vestas boat is the old Alivmedica boat.
The one with SCA livery is for sale, so the new one must be out there.

10 hours ago, ASP said:

V11 crew for leg 4: 
Roberto Bermudez de Castro - aka Chuny - (ESP)
Nick Dana (USA)
Hannah Diamond (UK)
Phil Harmer (AUS)
Simon Fisher - aka SiFi - (UK) - Navigator
Stacey Jackson (AUS)
Tom Johnson (AUS)
Tony Mutter (NZL)
Mark Towill (USA) - Skipper 
Amory Ross (USA) - Onboard Reporter

Sorry to hear about Charlie, I hope everything goes well for him and his family.

24 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Just wondering, does anyone know (for a fact) which team is in the old Vestas boat, and who is sailing in the new 8th boat?
I am told that the current Vestas boat is the old Alivmedica boat.
The one with SCA livery is for sale, so the new one must be out there.

Azko is the new boat, Isn't it?

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

AkN has new one and I thought Scallywag has old Vestas?

OK, just thought that the Akzo team was announced before the 8th boat was built.
But they could of course have started training in another boat, or maybe I am just getting it wrong - again :)

Hull 1 DF - DF

Hull 2 SCA - ?

Hull 3 Brunnel - Brunnel

Hull 4 Alvi - Vestas

Hull 5 Abu Dhabi - Skallywag

Hull 6 Vestas - TTToP

Hull 7 Mapfre - Mapfre

Hull 8 Akzo

• Like 1