• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

I'd imagine there would be some awfully hilarious media coming off the boats when the uploads come in. Drones saying hi to each other perhaps?

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 07 on board Brunel .

Sunrise. Drone. Doldrums. No wind.

Photo by Yann Riou/Volvo Ocean Race. 09 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 9.29.22 PM.png

17 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I'd imagine there would be some awfully hilarious media coming off the boats when the uploads come in. Drones saying hi to each other perhaps?

Can't wait to see a drone drop a dirty water bomb on the other helmsman's head.

• Like 4

BTW, did any of the OBR's yet describe what sailing in the doldrums is really like?

Like the tension to keep the boat moving, the immediate action when a squall comes through, the frustration when another boat sails away while you just lost steerage way, the heat and sweat, etc.

The drone shots are absolutely amazing, keep them coming, but I have a feeling that not too many people understand what exactly is going on, for several days probably.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stief said:

When Mutter (I think) says it's something he's never seen before, that's something. And Towill's hope that his kids will be able to see more fish than plastic is right on too. 

After this race, it may be that this moment will be the one the VS11 crew will remember, and repeatedly bore their grandkids retelling :) 

Incredible footage. It was SiFi talking about his kids though!

• Like 2

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, Day 7 onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic.

Photo by Brian Carlin/Volvo Ocean Race. 08 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.37.44 PM.png

22 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

BTW, did any of the OBR's yet describe what sailing in the doldrums is really like?

Like the tension to keep the boat moving, the immediate action when a squall comes through, the frustration when another boat sails away while you just lost steerage way, the heat and sweat, etc.

The drone shots are absolutely amazing, keep them coming, but I have a feeling that not too many people understand what exactly is going on, for several days probably

Theres a bit on the From the Boats section. Sounds like their creative juices are just getting going

This one was rather funny. For a moment I thought Carlin and sudocrem was referring to Dr Cloggy, not Polly.

Message from OBR Brian Carlin on Turn the Tide on Plastic, to... himself:

Dear Brian (to the OBR Team Leader),

So just wanted to drop a quick line to give you some news from sea. I know it’s only 6 days but I've broken a camera already! it’s not my fault, it was already broken when I left Melbourne, I’m sure we spoke about this at some stage. Either way I’ll need a replacement in Hong Kong or at least find us all a good repair shop.

I'm not going to lie to you - the next bit is a tad bit personal but I think it’s a good idea to give Pablo* and Polly** the heads-up - I’m suffering from a bad case of Yottie Bottie... Mm.. look, Polly will know and I don’t need any medical assistance, just a cool breeze and some sudocream. But I might need some extra underwear for the next leg, can you manage that? Totally understand if you can’t… but it would be great.

I know we are not long gone, but any chance you could send the boat some news, we are so bored with this easy job we need some news to read to kill some time... maybe a bit from the sports section and anything Trump related, don’t bother, we know what he's like...

Ah! one last thing, who's taking my kit from me when we arrive! I know you’re at sea and so am I - this could get a bit confusing. I'm sure you Brians will work it out.... are we in the same hotel together! that might get weird..

Thanks Bri,
P.s. don’t forget the news!!!! and my undies...

Regards,
Brian (OBR TTT)

*Pablo Diaz, race doctor
**Polly Gough, race medical services manager

4 hours ago, southerncross said:

Interview Clean/Jen Edney after Leg III aboard Mapfre.

Glad you re-posted that here. The whole is worth watching.

Chasm correctly put it on the end of leg 3.

Update from skipper Dee Caffari on Turn the Tide on Plastic:

We are keeping good company.

We not only managed to keep sight of Vestas but close the gap too and then last night we spent the whole night checking bearings on masthead lights from those around. All four other leading boats were within sight and we were doing well.

It is great to have closed the gap and be sailing with the fleet again. It helps focus our minds and keep pushing on the boat speed. Just before dark the wind speed dropped dramatically, more in line with the grib files and so we are floating along trying to get the most from any zephyr possible. This is the case forecast for the next couple of days now so you cannot afford to take your eye off the ball for a second.

Life exists on the bow now. Sails are forward, stack is forward and sleeping is forward. The down side to that is there are no fans forward so sleeping is a little hot and sweaty, if you can get any sleep at all! The upside is that everyone is concentrating hard so they are tired from a watch of focus and exposure to the sun, which is harsh.

If we can stay with the fleet now and get through the light patch with them to the new wind that fills in and be lucky in the cloud activity in any doldrums, then we are in with a shot in the drag race to the finish where the rich will get richer.

Dee and team TTTOP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Varan said:

GFS is providing the better model at the moment (4 kts in the vicinity of the boats, versus  11 with ECMWF).

3 hours ago, Chasm said:

Scrolling back and looking at boat data the wind on the VOR tracker is not helpful...

Reckon I'll be long dead before weather forecasting becomes that good.

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

Course. I'm also not that confused-it just makes little sense to escape the doldrums by point the boat 90° to the desired exit point. But its Scallywag.

Answer below.

2 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

But what we see is just a snapshot in time of course.

Just to see if anything's happened a tracker update would be good.

In the absence of assume nothing has happened and it's all still up in the air.

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

Course. I'm also not that confused-it just makes little sense to escape the doldrums by point the boat 90° to the desired exit point. But its Scallywag.

If it’s that light you don’t have any choice sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Water or flour bombs.......

Keep concentrating.................................

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

We not only managed to keep sight of Vestas but close the gap too and then last night we spent the whole night checking bearings on masthead lights from those around. All four other leading boats were within sight and we were doing well.

It is great to have closed the gap and be sailing with the fleet again. It helps focus our minds and keep pushing on the boat speed. Just before dark the wind speed dropped dramatically, more in line with the grib files and so we are floating along trying to get the most from any zephyr possible. This is the case forecast for the next couple of days now so you cannot afford to take your eye off the ball for a second.

Life exists on the bow now. Sails are forward, stack is forward and sleeping is forward. The down side to that is there are no fans forward so sleeping is a little hot and sweaty, if you can get any sleep at all! The upside is that everyone is concentrating hard so they are tired from a watch of focus and exposure to the sun, which is harsh.

If we can stay with the fleet now and get through the light patch with them to the new wind that fills in and be lucky in the cloud activity in any doldrums, then we are in with a shot in the drag race to the finish where the rich will get richer.

Dee and team TTTOP

I wonder if they’re better at modeing the boat in the lighter conditions compared to the heavier, also how much of this is from Brian being onboard?

Just now, mad said:

how much of this is from Brian being onboard?

Big impact.  Also the warmer air and water.  Chances to rest.

4 minutes ago, mad said:

And somehow they've managed to find the breeze again.

Just now, southerncross said:

Big impact.  Also the warmer air and water.  Chances to rest.

And maybe the extra crew numbers? Whatever it is, it’s good to see the fleet close up a little. 

5 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Just to see if anything's happened a tracker update would be good.

There was one at 22.42 hrs, , that's 40 min. ago, what do you expect?

35 minutes ago, stief said:

Theres a bit on the From the Boats section. Sounds like their creative juices are just getting going

This one was rather funny. For a moment I thought Carlin and sudocrem was referring to Dr Cloggy, not Polly.

Not very comfortable that nappy rash - don't remember it first time around but sure do during a week of pissing in the wetsuit. Sudocrem a lifesaver.

Not sure the market is big enough for them to invest. Who owns that brand in any case.

• Like 1

Just now, Fiji Bitter said:

There was one at 22.42 hrs, , that's 40 min. ago, what do you expect?

Best I pay attention then ;)

Race Experts‏Verified account @RaceExperts

Boats are moving again with 6-8 knots wind.@TurnTidePlastic now furthest west has moved into the lead! #WatchLog

TTT moved into the lead on the dashboard only, the Race Experts should know better...

• Like 2

Just now, Fiji Bitter said:

Boats are moving again with 6-8 knots wind.@TurnTidePlastic now furthest west has moved into the lead! #WatchLog

TTT moved into the lead on the dashboard only, the Race Experts should know better...

With the Easterly Trades filling in from the East.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:
6 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Like Brunel are in front of MAPFRE!

Been said before Race Experts, please don't undermine your credibility.

• Like 2

Just now, rogerfal said:

Like Brunel are in front of MAPFRE!

Been said before Race Experts, please don't undermine your credibility.

Huh?

Simples - that's what the tracker says. Like Brunel are in front of MAPF.

Great to see TTOP up there but for the race experts to post big about them leading is pure marketing.

Selective use of facts equals a lie. Say it all or say nothing.

Race experts need to be divorced from the marketing department to retain credibility.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Simples - that's what the tracker says. Like Brunel are in front of MAPF.

Great to see TTOP up there but for the race experts to post big about them leading is pure marketing.

Selective use of facts equals a lie. Say it all or say nothing.

Never mind.  I thought you were yelling at me.

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

And guess who is there ready to pounce. The overall leader.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Never mind.  I thought you were yelling at me.

No no no not you.

@Forss your tracker doesn't update automatically when position reports come out between scheduled reports?

8th January - 2018

FUN AND FRUSTRATING TIMES

By Amory Ross

Fun and frustrating times out here! We’re still in sight of the leaders as we have been most of this leg, but honest opinion from the gang will tell you the view is starting to get old. Nobody likes being third or fourth best, or even second best, when you know you can be the top dog. And there is no question on anyone’s mind that this boat has the speed to lead. There have maybe been a few missed opportunities here and there, maybe some slightly better fortune spread a little farther to the west these past few days, but we’ve watched from just next door as the top three shuffle around, patiently waiting for our turn to pounce.

Irritating as it was witnessing MAPFRE slip through another couple of sticky tropical clouds last night unscathed – nobody is too fussed. We are less than halfway through this leg and though the first stage to the Solomon Islands is now behind us, passing Santa Ana at sunrise this morning, there are plenty of difficult decisions to make in the next few days and we know our opportunities will come.

The American and European weather models don’t agree much with how best to exit the Doldrums into the strong Northeast Tradewinds, currently sitting around 4-degrees North, with the suggested routes varying east-to-west. Do you optimistically head northwest, cutting the corner and shaving valuable miles off the run to the Philippines? Or do you take the shortest path possible to the tradewinds heading due north to eventually turn west when they fill? This choice will be crucial because once into the Trades it is going to be a downwind sprint in 25 knots, straight towards Luzon and the South China Sea.

Either way, the leaders are still in sight - we can easily see their red sails - and morale is high. The water is warm, the sun is shining, and it has been a very pleasant couple of days approaching the Equator, where Hannah’s appointment with King Neptune awaits!

Amo

• Like 1

Maybe a little reminder is in order for the Race Experts.

They may be out of the worst of the doldrums, but the proper trades are still 24 hrs or so away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mad said:

I've been there. Didn't look at the TWD before I posted.

• Like 1

Dee's gonna love this sched- officially in first, and almost as north as the others.  The next 24-36 hours could be really interesting...

v9.jpg.59945cd7359b2eca14bb2aedff79f2aa.jpg

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, Day 8

Doldrums fully upon us. Huge cloud sytems all around and little to no wind in patches all over the route on board Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag.

Photo by Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race. 09 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 1.42.47 AM.png

• Like 2

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 08,

looking east at sunrise towards AkzoNobel and MAFRE from on board Vestas 11th Hour.

Photo by Amory Ross/Volvo Ocean Race. 08 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 1.44.04 AM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oceangeek said:

Dee's gonna love this sched- officially in first, and almost as north as the others.  The next 24-36 hours could be really interesting...

v9.jpg.59945cd7359b2eca14bb2aedff79f2aa.jpg

I'm about 3 days behind reality, because I like to watch the Raw Content videos in order as I'm fleshing out the spreadsheet descriptions, and various events in the world have conspired to keep me extra busy lately so I've fallen behind. But occasionally I pull up the tracker to verify what competitor appears in a shot from another boat, so I get little peeks into the future. OMG it is a damn BOAT RACE. :lol:

• Like 3

Now getting up to speed. I think anyone tempted to cut the PI corner in favour of the northern turnpike may live to regret it. Scallylegs may have no option but to roll that dice.

In the sideshow department this is Kadover Is off the north coast of New Guinea. It might not exist in a couple of days as it is ready to blow. If it does will cause a tussami and a lot of devastation to the low lying areas in its path.

download.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

In the sideshow department this is Kadover Is off the north coast of New Guinea. It might not exist in a couple of days as it is ready to blow. If it does will cause a tussami and a lot of devastation to the low lying areas in its path.

download.jpeg

Interesting. Windy recently added an SO2 layer for volcano watches (and industrial  emissions). Lots of activity around PNG

0159F6CE-93AF-460F-9E95-9505A7B822B3.thumb.jpeg.e07f7dfd7590e936864ae41145b0a462.jpeg 

6 hours ago, 3to1 said:

maybe this isn't news here, but the VOR tracker wind graphic at 2100 UTC appears to be pretty worthless. 

Forss tracker in GFS mode better reflects what the boats are reporting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The drone shots are absolutely amazing, keep them coming, but I have a feeling that not too many people understand what exactly is going on, for several days probably.

Add in the temperature and humidity, especially below decks, yep it's gotta be frustratingly hard.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, Day 8

Doldrums fully upon us. Huge cloud sytems all around and little to no wind in patches all over the route on board Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag.

Photo by Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race. 09 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 1.42.47 AM.png

Fucking amazing photo!

• Like 1

^^^^And not too far from there but under the water is a large slab of the Japanese Navy interspersed with bits of the US Pacific fleet. 

I must be in geography/history mode today.

1 hour ago, stief said:

Interesting. Windy recently added an SO2 layer for volcano watches (and industrial  emissions). Lots of activity around PNG

0159F6CE-93AF-460F-9E95-9505A7B822B3.thumb.jpeg.e07f7dfd7590e936864ae41145b0a462.jpeg 

Yep she gets hot in that neck of the woods.

Been looking for something like this.

Hey Miffy, what did you say about data?

A look into the rest of the Doldrums crossing for the fleet using ASCAT @GreatCircleBe. It may feel like they've been in it forever already with very little wind, but it is still a good 400 Nm to the other side. #watchlog

DTEsN5JWAAA0lmr.jpg

• Like 1

Just got an email from the Vancouver Aquarium about this special VOR event with Damian Foxall: https://www.vanaqua.org/experience/events/annual-and-upcoming-events/volvo-ocean-education-launch It's on Monday the 15th at 7pm at the Aquarium and is free. I will go, but will have to resist the urge to ask oddly specific questions.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I will go, but will have to resist the urge to ask oddly specific questions.  

Why?  Seems like the best possible time :) 

Well you know, like "What is in fact actually up with Witty?" or "Do you expect Peter Burling to express a keenness to get back on the water when interviewed right before the start of the next leg? Or "What is the radius of the patch of ocean that Martine Grael renders measurably more glamorous when passing through?" And last but not least, "Would you sack Mark Richards?"

• Like 9

What is the radius of the patch of ocean that Martine Grael renders measurably more glamorous when passing through?

Ask this and I'll buy you a beer no matter where on the planet you are.

• Like 3

Given that the event is to do with the VOR environmental education programme your questions, while specific, would not just be odd but entirely out of place.

It is really hard when you fall off the wagon, seek a comfy spot, and someone comes along and asks the meaning of life.

35 minutes ago, Zander said:

The great drift-off continues. Who will find wind first? Place your bets, ladies and gentleman.

Tracker update 0700:  Amazing how they are all wiggling synchronously, only the Dong not surprisingly made a wiggle wiggle and lost a bit.

I bet Snoop Dogg will find the wind and a fortune first:

Just heard a rumor Witty and Wharro are headed to Buala, Santa Isabel (solomon islands) to grab some Solbrew Beer for the rest of the trip to Honkers. Now that would make for an interesting Volvo promo photo and catapult both of their reputations in the sailing community! :D

Large_Grant Wharington and David Witt onboard Wild Thing1.jpg

doughy, they need some exercise and gym time.

0700 UTC fleet seeing about 2.5kn TWS. ah, the art of light air boat speed, anyone here care to share any tips?

31 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

0700 UTC fleet seeing about 2.5kn TWS. ah, the art of light air boat speed, anyone here care to share any tips?

Move around like cats.

• Like 1

Still  fuck all wind in 20 hrs time, according to Windy/EC forecast (GFS not much more).

Poor bastards...

image.thumb.png.64796c29931d77ea1ec11c3ded35d290.png

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:
35 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

Yoga

So the Chinese owners of Volvo don't give a fuck how many times they have to cross the equator.

Suck it up beeatches

I wonder why Karl Kwok (Beau Geste) never took this on as he is, and has been the face of Chinese sailing for the last 30 years. With such a pool of great sailors like Gavin Brady and co it seemed a perfect fit (downside being Karl not being able to sail some legs). Great to see Dongfeng doing so well but a shame that HK is represented by Scallywag. Each to their own I guess..................

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

1. Do more push ups.

2. Eat more freeze dried beans.

9 minutes ago, thetruth said:

I wonder why Karl Kwok (Beau Geste) never took this on as he is, and has been the face of Chinese sailing for the last 30 years. With such a pool of great sailors like Gavin Brady and co it seemed a perfect fit (downside being Karl not being able to sail some legs). Great to see Dongfeng doing so well but a shame that HK is represented by Scallywag. Each to their own I guess..................

Supposedly he looked at it, but decided to buy a MOD 70 (Phaedo) instead. I think their campaign would have been more thoughtful and well funded than Scallywags.

• Like 1

The backmarker trying to look enthusiastic...my guess is Witty and Warro are spooning together in a aft quarter rack bouying each other up with their yachting accomplishments over the last 30 years.

I'm not sure who is the Daddy though.

39 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Gavin sailed on Chessie Racing in 1997–98 (Whitbread), and on Team Seb in 2001-02 (Volvo). 

He might not be too keen to do more, even though he is still quite young.

9 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Gavin sailed on Chessie Racing in 1997–98 (Whitbread), and on Team Seb in 2001-02 (Volvo). 

He might not be to keen to do more, even though he is still quite young.

+1 

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 08

on board MAPFRE, Sunset without wind.

Photo by Ugo Fonolla/Volvo Ocean Race. 09 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.02.01 AM.png

Latest from navigator Libby Greenhalgh on Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag:

Flap flap flap was where we left you and not a lot has changed apart from it is getting hotter. Sea temp now like a warm bath at 32.5 Celsius and Air temp 36 and notably hotter when the kettle is on down below. Being on deck is about preservation as the sun is intense and while in light winds you mainly have a driver and trimmer at the back, the rest of the crew are buried in the bow trying to sleep or strategically moving themselves around the deck following the shade.

Looks like another 300nm or so of this and as we don't yet have the pleasure of seeing the other boats, though I believe we will, there is a distinct nervousness when the wind c**ps out and all you can do is believe that it is the same for the others. 

Every 6 hours the position report comes in and we breathe a little as it is confirmed the same for everyone, though we don't get to see and understand all the wiggles and waggles they have been doing to move forward but merely GPS position and a wind strength and direction at the time.

Our last position shows a loss on the reports for closing to the finish, but ultimately we are heading to the NNW in search of the NE trades and to be honest probably 50-70% of the time we don't really have a choice on where we want to go, are just trying to keep moving in some semblance of the direction that we want to.

Opportunity awaits...

Ta ta for now, 
Libby at the nav station off to hide on deck in the shade, please send ice cream…

Dee and team TTTOP

5 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Better to be lucky than good I guess...............................

Brian Thompson lucky?

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Just heard a rumor Witty and Wharro are headed to Buala, Santa Isabel (solomon islands) to grab some Solbrew Beer for the rest of the trip to Honkers. Now that would make for an interesting Volvo promo photo and catapult both of their reputations in the sailing community! :D

Large_Grant Wharington and David Witt onboard Wild Thing1.jpg

Any real racer would shave his body hair :)