• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

2 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Latest update has boats jibing?!? to the north, in south breeze...

Yep, they do, North is still gold !

You'd think at this pivotal point in the leg they'd free up the tracker updates for the jibing duel to the trades.

Common boys, let us watch it!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chasm said:

Good Live! Relieved to hear Charlie explain that his firstborn is on the mend after the oh so familiar panic of a new parents’ worry over a hospitalized newborn (bacterial pneumonia).  

Great unintended consequence is hearing Charlie analyze the race. His expert perspective aces other opinions so far. E.g., that he felt, then, that VS11 would be better in the centre of the East-West pack. As suspected, even he can't tell whether East or west is best. So, sad but glad we got a chance to hear his take on the doldrums and more. Imagine he was glad to see the latest sked :) 

I even think his media coaching last leg helped . . .  he actually broke form and laughed in public over the irony that the trophies noted by an "Ask Charlie" question belonged to his wife's marathon racing, and the sailboat in the background was decorative, not a trophy. To be fair, he did say his two VOR leg win were his most prized.

Had expected a VS11 infomercial, but found more respect for his campaign by the end of his comments, thanks to some pretty good questions and guidance. He didn't fawn over heroes and mentors, but decently credited Mike Sanderson, Ian Walker and especially Knut Frostad for their help.

Nor did he duck the tough question about comparing skipper styles in Xabi and Charles (leaders like Xabi have the respect of their crews, not whether they are helming or trimming). He even answered the impossible VS11 game contest challenge--predict the date and time when VS11 will be 2000nm from Hong Kong--by reasoning that working backward from his flight to HK next Tuesday to predict VS11 will be at the 2000nm line at 11pm on the 14th, UTC. Some caveats made of course, but he showed he could reason out a snap call that didn't seem prepped. 

His comments on light air trim seemed fairly standard (get the transom out), as did his answer about changing the VO65: keep it robust, even if it suffers in the light, because that has made the racing so great so far. Agree.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

You'd think at this pivotal point in the leg they'd free up the tracker updates for the jibing duel to the trades.

Agree. On the Live this morning Niall said it takes a great deal of human power to make the tracker live. 

That was really confusing. Human power? thought that was what computers were for. A macro to average 60s of data coming in every 10 seconds should not need human power. If nothing else, just dump the lat/longs into the AIS network and let vessel finder and marine traffic.com handle the live data.  If the VOR has someone typing lat/logs into the spreadsheet, that would be hilarious.

Hell--I'd bet if Chasm, Volodia, forss and others had public access to that data stream and they'd have it up and showing faster than Niall could explain why it takes so much 'human power'

Obviously, we're not getting the whole story. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Exactly, it is indeed the deciding moment in this leg, with the top 5 boats trading places, Brunel still with a fighting chance, and Scally who knows. Also the lottery element has almost gone, and it is a fair yacht race again.

The Race Experts have been obliging by putting in plenty of half time updates, but I don't see any reason why they could not do 1 hourly updates. One or two of them are there 24 hours anyway, they must have time to do a brief analyses, or just one of the many amazing pictures, and a push on the button for a tracker update. (see Stief's comment)

They are probably watching their live tracker every 5 min. themselves, they surely must feel our pain!

6 minutes ago, stief said:

Agree. On the Live this morning Niall said it takes a great deal of human power to make the tracker live. 

I'd be curious to know why this wasn't automated.  Seems like it would save on the budget and manpower.  I do remember seeing a number of people in Melbourne while it was Live.

Maybe it's more about monitoring the data flow than it is pushing it through.

18 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I'd be curious to know why this wasn't automated.  Seems like it would save on the budget and manpower.  I do remember seeing a number of people in Melbourne while it was Live.

Maybe it's more about monitoring the data flow than it is pushing it through.

There's a reason, but what it is even Charlie doesn't know if he's pushing the refresh button every 5 seconds as he joked in the Live. Ñeti too (VOR news) talks of tracker addiction. I don't think Pascal is ignoring updates either, and presumably even he doesn't have access to better info than we get.

So, would love to know why data access is limited. It's already being sent to Alicante, so not satellite cost, as FV has repeatedly pointed out. The computer system in Alicante already has to respond to untold numbers of calls to display the data they put up, so can't see transmission from Alicante being the problem. Windy automates weather feeds for millions of users, so global network from Europe isn't the problem. Can't Volvo compete with a philanthropic effort like Windy? Sheesh.

There's a reason, but what is it? 

15 minutes ago, Varan said:
  2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Yep, they do, North East is still gold !

FIFY

Yes indeed, the weather situation has changed recently, with that little low forming NW of them.

So, we'll split the difference then, say North North-East, ok?

41 minutes ago, stief said:

So, would love to know why data access is limited. It's already being sent to Alicante, so not satellite cost, as FV has repeatedly pointed out. The computer system in Alicante already has to respond to untold numbers of calls to display the data they put up, so can't see transmission from Alicante being the problem. Windy automates weather feeds for millions of users, so global network from Europe isn't the problem. Can't Volvo compete with a philanthropic effort like Windy? Sheesh.

There's a reason, but what is it? 

My theory is that VOR doesn't want to risk live position data getting back to the boats. Just a theory mind you. 

I've got a Twitter alert set us so when the race experts tweet I get an update on my phone and can check the tracker when applicable. I'd still like to see live, 2 or 3 hour updates. 6 hours is a really long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miffy said:

The microbeads were a genuine problem but the industry self regulated pretty early on and moved to silica. 

But whatever makes UK happy I suppose. They get to write their own regulations that end up the same as CE now. 

Have you got a cite for that, genuinely interested, I’m not really aware of the background 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mad said:

Have you got a cite for that, genuinely interested, I’m not really aware of the background 

It might be more of a jab at the Brexit idiot/government !   As far as writing their own regulations, that is.

28 minutes ago, mad said:

https://blog.euromonitor.com/2016/10/plastic-not-fantastic-industry-responds-to-us-microbeads-ban.html

The industry self-regulated when it became clear what the problem was - volume in most markets had decreased steadily and after the US ban, basically no one was expecting it to continue. The UK ban is a round of applause and pat in the back for... nothing.

The real test about plastics contamination isn't in the consumer market, tho that helps - but in industry. Synthetic fiber production creates a lot of loose fiber that's often dumped along with waste water. That stuff eventually gets to the ocean. I'm not holding my breathe for TToP, UN or VOR to speak truth to power - everyone wants Chinese money.

• Like 2

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 09,

with the top five boats in sight and a minefield of clouds sometimes you watch your competiton sail around you helplessly, from on board Vestas 11th Hour.

Photo by Amory Ross/Volvo Ocean Race. 10 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.33.37 PM.png

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 09,

Tony Mutter eyes the competition at sunset, all lined up after nine days of sailing on board Vestas 11th Hour.

Photo by Amory Ross/Volvo Ocean Race. 10 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.37.47 PM.png

This somewhat illustrates my thinking. Trouble is the different tracker predictions and EC/GFS models make it hard to get the picture.

I cannot afford, nor need Adrena or Expedition, so leave that to Hitchhiker. And where is that Expedition guy that used to post here?

And I must confess that I am too lazy to run the routing app and Tactics plug-in on OpenCPN, we have Herman for that!  And he should be back from his skiing holiday, or did he do a Schumacher? Hope not!

741f56bb-d285-4101-be4b-3f0dcc02b96c.png

Oh, and a tracker update at 23.12 (35 min. ago),  

Mapfre been unlucky?  

Thanks Race Experts, but where is the Tweet to alert us???

Tweet just came in, amazingly quick response to my question, thanks guys!

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Tweet just in
  • Like 1

23.12 - 00.45  now. Madder do e - as we say down here.

Looking like the drifting is all but over.

29 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

GMT Time Now

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) zone (UTC+0):

23:52:08

Greenwich Mean Time_ 23_49.html

Correct - blame it on the roll up ;)

Not a point of principle but generally say UTC these days. Sort of thing I'd get a funny look for in the village pub. :rolleyes:

Madder do e = generally means it doesn't matter unless said aggressively ..

Still about 350 - 400 miles before the NE Trades are fully established.  Boats will do best to keep it as tight as possible until then. 8 miles separation Vestas > Mapfre.  

Drag race to HK with few to no opportunities for anything tactical.

Can Akzo hang with the Red boats?

• Like 1

Thanks all for posting the updates and content. I've almost given up on the WIFI here, and burned up the cell limits yesterday. Too funny. Takes 1/2 an hour or more to followup a single Raw. So, apologies for the following brain dump:

So, because it was worth it, gotta commend Dee on her Live response to the 'Brian is the reason you are ahead?' And the other Brian for not being an idiot on the FP http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/01/10/its-a-wonder/

re SC's video from team AkzoNobel at 10/01/2018 16:40 UTC 
Good stuff from Nicho on luck in sailing, again! “Huh! I remember, I remember doing some work with some meteorologists on clouds, we talked about the different elements of clouds all day, and at the end of it I said, so, so the difference between a good cloud and a bad cloud, how sure am I gonna be [?] between a good or bad cloud?” “Ah, 60/40". "So, so that’s the art of sailing throught the doldrums—-or even sums it up.You can get a bit of a handle on it, but there’s still an element of luck involved, and so you’d better enjoy this kind of racing or you’ll be frustratedmto the point of tears, so I guess I’m lucky I enjoy this. It’s good”

Filed under more ammunition for the 'just lucky' responses to changing fortunes in sailing.

As for Niall's apologies for the lag in the Charlie interview, Niall: “Sorry for the delay inn transmission.” Don’t apologize. Makes the global knowledge of the race seem real (even though we know there would not be the lag if landlines were used). 

Self regulating industry? Ha! After laws had to be passed. Thanks for the link--too bad a prompt was needed.

Surprised the VORGers haven't commented on Ñeti's article Figured they'd be the best ones to take the Live's "when will VS11 hit the 2000nm boundary" challenge 

And apologies for trolling myself and letting the 3 edition-old tracker lockdown get to me. Last I'll say is Clinton found a way to open up GPS data despite "SECURITY" trolls. This was the best for all, even sailors.

Cheers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks all for posting the updates and content. I've almost given up on the WIFI here, and burned up the cell limits yesterday. Too funny. Takes 1/2 an hour or more to followup a single Raw.

Stief, lesser of two evils, methinks. Heard on the CBC earlier this evening that folks are ice skating on the streets of Regina after a massive freezing rain storm. Personally, I'd take a little drop in bandwidth to miss that.

• Like 1

Christ for someone who is on vacation you sure are a cranky person. 

The industry greatly reduced use in 2013-2014 to look for alternatives and didn't oppose US gov and JP gov phase outs. The UK's ban essentially bans a self-imposed phased out in the EU. 

You're not in the industry. You don't use makeup. So like the sponging the hull, weather models, actual experience sailing in the Pacific or Atlantic, why don't you take it easy and stop expecting a bloody thesis. 

3 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Stief, lesser of two evils, methinks. Heard on the CBC earlier this evening that folks are ice skating on the streets of Regina after a massive freezing rain storm. Personally, I'd take a little drop in bandwidth to miss that.

Hehe. Saw the warning, didn't hear the CBC version. And, apparently we had a 8 hr power outage in my neighbourhood, so the router would have been out at home too. 

Anyway, still hoping to find out more about the lightning strike that took out TTOP electronics, if I read that right, and really curious why TBRU's weren't affected in the hit they reported earlier. Life of Brian moment?

Mañana :) 

1 minute ago, stief said:

Anyway, still hoping to find out more about the lightning strike that took out TTOP electronics,

It was in a RAW video I posted.  Temporary knock out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogerfal said:

Correct - blame it on the roll up ;)

Not a point of principle but generally say UTC these days. Sort of thing I'd get a funny look for in the village pub. :rolleyes:

Madder do e = generally means it doesn't matter unless said aggressively ..

Ok, madder do ee fuk, but I put that in GMT especially for you cause I knew you might be in the pub, and I didn't know the English were right with the times these days. Sorry about that...
Never heard that funny madder expression, and now see that it is a Cornish thing. Does the fuk make it aggressive, or do you not say such a thing in your pub anyway?

The last 24 hours must have been a bitch.... a full lottery and stinking hot.... it does live up to "life at the extremes" 

Very very rarely see/ hear anybody say it aggressively or accusingly.

More a shrug of the shoulders and often with a smile - can be a question - acceptance of self - doesn't matter - as support of another.. All about how one communicates it.

On time some know and use UTC, some don't, some don't know it and some would see it as a loss of sovereignty!

• Like 1

Amazing how recently Dong was just 100 meters to starboard of Vestas, and now they are 3 miles behind.v4.jpg.f46b061cc3ad090ad94c73e2242cae26.jpg

Seems the wind is filling from the north, out of the NE...v3.jpg.9c736660a0eb0e4e48e543a011033d89.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rogerfal said:

some would see it as a loss of sovereignty!

Nah, you got that back with Brexit, God save your Queen !

Bet you say GMT on your Sunbeam, and listen to the shipping forecast too...:unsure:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Nah, you got that back with Brexit, God save your Queen !

Bet you say GMT on your Sunbeam, and listen to the shipping forecast too...:unsure:

Don't forget the captains hat and blazer......

• Like 3

From Pro-Mode.

MAPFRE less breeze than Dongfeng for last 30 mins. A little less speed. Better VMG (not C I guess).

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

... and pipe, handbag size dog and wicker picnic basket.

Now it's getting silly :)

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You need a new monocle Roger.

Nah seriously - it says VMG but whenever the boats point at the waypoint the VMG numbers = SOG so must be VMC.

10 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Nah seriously - it says VMG but whenever the boats point at the waypoint the VMG numbers = SOG so must be VMC.

VMC = SOG * COS(RADIANS(BRG-HDG))

VMG = SOG * COS(RADIANS(TWA))

Or in English VMC is relative to a waypoint and VMG to True Wind Direction.

Ok - Keep an eye on the tracker. I think we will see that when the boats make a COG = to the bearing to the waypoint the VMG/C will = SOG irrespective of the TWD.

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

You agree, or not, that on the tracker VMG should read VMC?

VMC = SOG if heading angle = angle to waypoint  (difference angle = 0)

I will admit the VMG numbers had bothered me before, but I didn't take time to notice they might be VMC.

Sorry run out of lickies Jack.

That's more like my country gear but wrong colours.

Time to start compiling a list of questions/ observations and points for VOR / Clean.

5 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

VMC = SOG if heading angle = angle to waypoint  (difference angle = 0)

I will admit the VMG numbers had bothered me before, but I didn't take time to notice they might be VMC.

Gotta be COG not heading I'd of thought.

Just now, Francis Vaughan said:

:) 

Here pedantry is required. I was being needlessly (and potentially confusingly) sloppy.

Like me esp if I've had a roll-up.... like making well reasoned statements which short circuit.........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

:) 

Here pedantry is required. I was being needlessly (and potentially confusingly) sloppy.

Me pedantic too,  can you re-phrase that sentence then please...

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Laughing I'm off to bed..... Always more to learn.

02.36 now :)

Don't forget to take your doggy for a walk first, g'night!

PS. This forum is fucking burden...

1 minute ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Me pedantic too,  can you re-phrase that sentence then please...

Assume you mean the definition of VMC. (I hope I got all this down right.  I always see the msitake once the edit window is closed.)

Velocity Made (in the direction of the) Course. Your velocity toward where you want to go (ie the course). 

So VMC = your Speed Over Ground * a correction for the angle you are going relative to where you want to go.

Correction = cos(your direction over ground - the direction to the target)  = cos(Course Over Ground - BeaRinG to target)

If the course you are sailing (as measured over the ground) is the same as the bearing to the target, the difference is zero, and cos(0) = 1, so VMC = SOG

As noted, the angle you are travelling (COG) is not always your heading, you need to take into account all the usuals - currents, tide, leeway. 

Note that VMC can go negative.  cos(180 degrees) = -1 for instance.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They are on the move...

Yah, I was thinking about that. Boat speeds finally over 10 kts (but winds still under that). Then I thought about what 10 kts of boat speed means in a 4ksb. My, how our perspectives have changed. In the lowly j24s we race around here, you need 20 kts of breeze with a bit of help from waves to occasionally hit those kind of speeds.

49 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

= cos(Course Over Ground - BeaRinG to target)

Thanks Francis, very well explained, as always.

Bearing to Waypoint (or Target) seems to be abbreviated to BRG, mainly by Garmin, a thing from their early gps's I guess.

Raymarine and B&G are using BTW, which I like best really.

Charlie Enright: Process of improvement

Published on January 10th, 2018 

Vestas 11th Hour Racing skipper Charlie Enright needed to sit out Leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race to help with a family medical situation, but will be back with the team in Hong Kong for the next leg. Scuttlebutt editor Craig Leweck caught up with Enright for an assessment of the race.

What have you been learning from the sidelines?

There’s a lot of publically available information coming off the boats, but sometimes the numbers can be deceiving, so to make assumptions is certainly kind of dangerous. We can review and timestamp the tracker, photos and video information, and as much as you want to deduce the reasons for gains and losses, you don’t know whether a cloud or a tidal eddy may have had an impact too.

So we take notes during the leg and then will revisit them with the team afterwards when all the facts are available. We already have a team on this task, so I am just contributing where I can, which has been more so looking specifically at the sails.

I am looking at what sails are being used, if there is any variation amid the fleet in selection or trim. I am also looking at variations in stack positions or any little tips and tricks that make life easier or make the boats a little bit quicker and easier to sail. I watch every single video, particularly on our boat and then the other boats that are doing well in an effort to improve where possible.

So as much as the videos are for the fans, they are proving valuable for the teams too.

Absolutely! When someone’s doing an interview, I am looking in the background for what sail is up, where the stack is. If someone’s sitting at the nav station, same thing. Where’s the stack located? Down below, is it split? How much is in the front? All that stuff.

Do you find certain teams are limiting what can be seen in the videos?

In my honest opinion, it’s theory. Everybody tries to hide their secrets, and some teams say they monitor everything that comes off the boat. And maybe they do, but I am looking at it all, and either they don’t do it or they are doing a bad job as there’s still plenty of useful information coming off the boat.

Despite all the equipment being identical, Dongfeng and MAPFRE look slippery. Unlike training when you can work on tuning with a partner, how do you work on performance now?

We spent two weeks training with AkzoNobel in Lisbon before the race, and some of the stuff that we learned from that session is what helped us win the first leg.

Now that we are started, it is vital to take advantage of the time when the boats are together, whether it’s the starts or the finishes, or whether you’re just parked up next to each other in the Doldrums. The time that you can spend sailing around other boats is really invaluable, and then we augment that with the post-leg analysis from the information coming off the boat as we discussed.

Looks like the differences surface more often when the sheets are eased.

When you’re going upwind, a 2% difference when you’re going 11 knots is a lot less than a 2% difference when you’re going 25 knots. So certainly the opportunity for gains and losses is much higher when you crack sheets and high speed reaching.

The differences in speed are all due to mastering the sail crossovers, particularly in the introduction of the new J0 sail. I think people are still understanding that sail and the crossover charts are changing in and around the J0 more than anywhere else as the legs go on. Using the right sail, at the right wind angle, at the right wind speed is huge.

But in addition to the sail selection is sail trim. Mastering whether a sail is trimmed tight or loose, twisty or closed leech, where to set the outrigger for the headsails. There’s tons and tons of variables, so the more information you have the better, but its consistently applying that knowledge which sets the best teams apart.

During the 2014-15 race, it was rare to see much separation amid the fleet. But in this race, it looks as if teams are more willing to get some leverage. This is the second race for the VO65… are teams feeling more confident in sailing the boat?

Confidence breeds confidence, that’s for sure. When you make a sail change, know your settings and quickly see improved performance, that empowers you to be more assertive in other areas.

Take Dongfeng, for instance. They think they can put their boat anywhere, and if they’re wrong, they’ve got time to make up for it. But if they’re right, they may never be seen again.

I see ourselves as being more open to risk, particularly as we’ve just had two back-to-back thirds behind MAPRFE and Dongfeng, so it’s pretty clear that’s not going to cut it. So where is the difference going to come? We’re finding ourselves analyzing risks more and more as well.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/01/10/charlie-enright-process-improvement/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2018-01-10_14-05-09-620x350.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Thanks Francis, very well explained, as always.

Bearing to Waypoint (or Target) seems to be abbreviated to BRG, mainly by Garmin, a thing from their early gps's I guess.

Raymarine and B&G are using BTW, which I like best really.

Nonsence. BRG is Bearing. BTW is Bearing to Waypoint. Common to all manufactures.

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nonsence. BRG is Bearing. BTW is Bearing to Waypoint. Common to all manufactures.

Ok, Jack is Back...

Francis calls it BRG, and I commented on that.

Google "Garmin BTW", and you find BTW=VAT (sales tax).

Google "Garmin BRG" and you find BRG - Bearing to Next Waypoint.

Eh, what was your point again?

43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is annoyingly confusing. I used the abbreviations in your original post:

VMC = SOG * COS(RADIANS(BRG-HDG))

which is meaningless if we assume HDG is heading (which is as noted already not totally correct)

The problem is partly that bearing has itself two uses - relative bearing and bearing. We get trouble when they get used interchangeably.

Relative bearing is the same as your heading. It is the direction your bow points. It isn't COG.

Bearing is the direction your target is from you.

The right answer is to never use use the word "bearing" without qualification. 

In what I wrote above BTW is by far the best thing to use. 

VMC = SOG * cos(COG - BTW)    Then there is no ambiguity.

• Like 2

Race Experts losing it a bit ?  Tracker update please!

Beautiful drone video clip captured by OBR Amory Ross @Vestas11thHour, check out the full version on http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/5215.html  lots of fantastic content on the RAW wall from all the boats @volvooceanrace @volvooceanraceE @volvooceanraceF stunning!

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Race Experts losing it a bit ?  Tracker update please!

Well well, quick reaction from Race Experts again, congrats!

0524UT Tracker Update - A costly few hours for those boats further south @brunelsailing + @scallywaghk. It's looking like the leaders out of the doldrums has been decided.

Video does not embed anymore, sorry.

And yes, the rich are getting richer, go Achso!

Woo! I'm all caught up! It might partly have been the adrenaline rush of clearing the backlog of videos, but I "favorited" 7 out of the last 8. I'm usually pretty bored by the doldrums stuff, but there have been a lot of amazing images and brilliant storytelling by the OBRs in the last few days.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You were pulling shit out of your arse as per usual with the internet your sole source of information.

Was hoping you would feel better, after you coming out of rehab, feel sorry for you...

Put me on ignore again, please, and save us all your rancorous boring ramblings.

And BTW, my grandpa bought me a Garmin GPS in 1993, when I started sailing in my home build sailing canoe. It was called BRG then, just like it is called BRG now on all Garmins AFAIK. 

And you used BRG yourself first , own petard again hey...  :D

Edited by Fiji Bitter
own petard

1 minute ago, jbc said:

Woo! I'm all caught up! It might partly have been the adrenaline rush of clearing the backlog of videos, but I "favorited" 7 out of the last 8. I'm usually pretty bored by the doldrums stuff, but there have been a lot of amazing images and brilliant storytelling by the OBRs in the last few days.

Just checked your new photo section, that's a great addition! Found quite a few pics that I had missed, thanks jbc.

Wondering if it would be possible for the VOR to do a doldrums overview, instead of the weekly one. There are quite a few good videos too, and they could for instance show the amazing pictures while narrating the best OBR stories. Just a thought.