duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Interesting to note above, Mapfre the only team with no crew changes for this Leg.  Dongfeng and Brunel 4, TToP and Akzo 3, Vestas 2, Scallwag 1 +1.

Thoughts on the Mapfre strategy?  Crew that stays together becomes more cohesive.

Or, fresh crew, especially after a brutal run) adds new life?

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10687_No-change-for-the-leaders-as-crew-lists-released-for-Leg-4.html

It’s a much different story elsewhere in the fleet where significant swaps are taking place. Some are scheduled rotations, while others have been forced by injury or for other reasons.

Other reasons?

I don't think MAPFRE is compromising boat readiness for boat cohesion. Xabi just has it managed so well (at least from the outside). 

They arrived at the docks looking tired but not completely wrecked. Of course winning helps but one gets the sense they took care of their boat, their crew and can go again and put other boats in a world of pain and suffering at will. 

Their crews have time in the gym. The most inexperienced crew are all successful Olympians. Everyone else has done VOR before. If there's conflict, it isn't observable. 

Xabi does the expected media commitments - represents his sponsor. The boat took ppl out for fun when the ProAm was cancelled. 

I just think others are playing catch up. I'd put Vestas next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I don't think MAPFRE is compromising boat readiness for boat cohesion. Xabi just has it managed so well (at least from the outside). 

What I meant was, by keeping the same team together are they becoming a more cohesive unit? 

Or, will the other teams be at an advantage by bringing in fresh blood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What I meant was, by keeping the same team together are they becoming a more cohesive unit? 

Or, will the other teams be at an advantage by bringing in fresh blood?

Depends on the circumstances? If you have a situation on the boat where you have cancer or an obvious perceived weak link and there's impact on performance and crew mood, have to cut it out like cancer. 

I don't buy DF's Pascal injury replacement until he comes back for Cape Horn. If he isn't brought back for that he was dismissed for performance reasons. 

Vestas and Brunel seems to have good morale. Scallywag is a continuous experiment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Depends on the circumstances? If you have a situation on the boat where you have cancer or an obvious perceived weak link and there's impact on performance and crew mood, have to cut it out like cancer. 

True.  Injury.  Exhaustion, physical and mental.  Different skill sets ie Southern Ocean helming.

Offshore racing as a team sport is unique in this regard because the playing field changes constantly.  On the other hand, the less a team is fractured, the more each crew becomes in tune with each other, like a well-oiled machine.  The gybe, for example, might be a well rehearsed execution perfected over thousands of miles by the same crew.  Throw a new body or two into the mix and that "dance" that "tango" starts all over.

Bringing in fresh blood has it's advantages too.  Skill sets. Enthusiasm and morale. Physical and mental freshness.  

Will all the crews finally settle on a core team like Mapfre or is rotation a different strategy altogether? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAPFRE has substitutes too? Prob just don't need it this leg or actually tried to adhere to the idea of a pit stop. 

The most toxic environment I think is when one watch rotation continuously out performs the other, which happens, but the ppl can't get over it. Which was emerging on Akzo the last 2 legs. 

I think Akzo and Scallywag would be much happier if they reach that point of acceptance re having no chance of winning VOR overall and focus on winning legs/take risks and keep it happy and fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I think Akzo and Scallywag would be much happier if they reach that point of acceptance re having no chance of winning VOR overall and focus on winning legs/take risks and keep it happy and fun to watch. 

It's a three boat battle at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2017 at 7:11 PM, Miffy said:

Forecasting the Pacific is harder - ECMWF is consistently 5 days better than GFS, but the Pacific is where it has the fewest data points. This leg, and the leg after will be best routed by reverting to historical data & setting intermediate waypoints (let's try and get us around here by such a such a date) - relying on Adrena will send you into a high pressure of hell as you arrive 2 days outside of the forecast accuracy range. For example?

Go to the forecast around New Caledonia and Solomon Islands - pick January 3 and 4. Then click between ECMWF and GFS. 

It'll be bloody insane to do the click a button navigation this time around.

Where are you pulling the different models from Miffy? Paid ECMWF subscription?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad these guys start before the Clipper leg from Hobart to Whitsundays.  It would be fun to see the Volvos blow through the Clipper fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at routing and weather.  Looks like a fairly light start inside the bay, but will quickly build as high pressure ridge gets compressed against a low pressure sytem to the east of Hobart.  I'm betting on about a 17 to 18 day  run for this leg.  Going to be some very fatigued navigators at the end!

Leg4 start.JPG

Leg4 T.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Odd choice of Wp for the Philipines

Odd Wp choice.JPG

Doesn't it say leave Philippines waypoint to port? 

Goal is to avoid Celebes/Sulu sea where there are more chances of piracy or Islamic militants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

And now for something completely different: Grant Wharington explaining why he is doing keel mods with a chainsaw

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Exactly. I remember saying that the OBRs should include an onshore reporter, but not just to report of the race village, but to report on the operation of the VOR management during the legs. Nic would be an interesting choice,  although her enthusiasm for the sport might get in the way of reporting on the dark side of what might be going on. We want reporting of the onshore component at the level we saw in the 2005 race - where we saw things warts and all.

respect 

I’m down in Melbourne to meet the Volvo Ocean Race teams after their Southern Ocean Leg from Cape Town, and yes its pretty quiet with the Melbourne-Hobart/Sydney-Hobart yacht races on, plus the cricket series against a touring England side taking the headlines, but it is an honour to chat and mix with these crews.

I was incredibly fortunate to race with Dee Caffari and her team On Turn The Tide on Plastic in this years Rolex Fastnet Race, then sail Leg Zero on all other boats except Dongfeng and Mapfre, so I have huge respect for these Volvo sailors, particularly the young crew on Turn The Tide on Plastic and since I have been in Melbourne, a growing appreciation and admiration for the team on Akzo Nobel.

This is a monster of a race. A monster. Don’t let anyone tell you of how tough it was in the old days, the introduction of the VO65 means these boats are being pushed very hard for sustained periods in 40-45 knots of breeze – way more than a Volvo 70 could handle, and in these conditions, things and people will break, and if that happens and your boat speed plummets – very quickly you need to deal with that sea-state that is seriously trying to ruin your day. Gybing to keep the right side of an approaching ice gate in 50 knots is not easy, (neither is slowing the boat and tacking…) and so Akzo Nobel broke battens and ripped the track off the mast. It shouldn’t have happened – but it did, and they fixed it and got here.

And so it is always great be be on the dock when a boat comes in after a Southern Ocean Leg, to look into their eyes and see how they are. Of course it is a huge high for them, coming ashore to meet family and eat fresh food, but it is not long before they are off again. And its a long game this race. Simeon Tienpont knows this – don’t get too low and don’t raise yourself too high, he has had some huge setbacks – but whatever has happened, he has dealt with it calmly.

The same with Chris Nicholson, a sailor of immense talent and another good guy. And the key thing is – they don’t need to do this, nor does Blair Tuke or Pete Burling, or Juan Vila or Rome Kirby, or Louis Sinclair or Martine Grael or Emily Nagel, there is plenty of easier racing to be done. They are doing it because its huge, and hard and fun and utterly brutal. The Volvo changes everyone, and as Gordon Maguire once said, “it is the worst thing you will ever do – and the best thing.”

– Blue Robinson

http://sailinganarchy.com

blue.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Doesn't it say leave Philippines waypoint to port? 

Goal is to avoid Celebes/Sulu sea where there are more chances of piracy or Islamic militants. 

I rather meant it seems odd to me that they tucked it behind (westward) of San Vicente.

Edit, Ultimately is doesn't matter as the outside route is several miles shorter.  Just wondering about the mindset of placing that Wp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Please excuse my complete ingonrance, but what is so special about that Wharington guy?

Renmaus 

What can I say about Graint Wharington ?

 

love him,  hate him  or both.  Grant is first a sailor and very good and has proved himself in Offshore, Volvo race and many other classes. Grant over the years has given back to the sport not only to Offshore sailors. I’ve even seen him working with the kids and giving back to them as well. As a sailor he is up there and can hold his own

 

Like many high profile sailors Grant can talk the talk and does walk the walk and he backs himself and will give anything a go and knows how to turn squished lemons into lemonade. You want a PR guy grant’s the one 

 

As far as business goes ? This is were Grant has up set people and played hard ball. Like most business men he has had his ups and downs and plays hard ball in business. Like other high profile business men he pushes the limits and has upset many people and also with held payments back and like others is first to go to the lawyers when needed. That is big business. Many years ago Sid was known as a very bad payer and would only pay on the court room steps. The 12m Steak and Kidney was painted by a South Australian when the Boat was build in sydney and trades in Sydney wouldn’t work for Sid. It’s the same story with many owners even some of the current new Supermaxi owners.

 

So what’s so special about Grant, he’s a great sailor and very skilled. He know the east coast of Australia like the back of his hand and as far as Port Phillip bay goes and the first weeks racing you want someone like Gramt on board. David Witt needs a Advantage for the next leg and Grant is it. 

Pulpit

 

P.S   I’ve  even got a 6 pack of rum on him being first out of the bay. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Grant win Melbourne Osaka back in the day? Really the only event that deals with the tricky conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, southerncross said:

Interesting to note above, Mapfre the only team with no crew changes for this Leg.  Dongfeng and Brunel 4, TToP and Akzo 3, Vestas 2, Scallwag 1 +1.

Thoughts on the Mapfre strategy?  Crew that stays together becomes more cohesive.

Or, fresh crew, especially after a brutal run) adds new life?

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10687_No-change-for-the-leaders-as-crew-lists-released-for-Leg-4.html

It’s a much different story elsewhere in the fleet where significant swaps are taking place. Some are scheduled rotations, while others have been forced by injury or for other reasons.

Other reasons?

Other reasons would include Charlie Enright staying home for family reasons. Or Tom Clout off through illness that is not injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Renmaus 

What can I say about Graint Wharington ?
(...)

Thank you very much. Happy New Year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Didn't Grant win Melbourne Osaka back in the day?

Won it over 20 years ago..might still have race record..second go was a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pulpit said:

I’ve  even got a 6 pack of rum on him being first out of the bay. 

I thought only hairdressers drank premix rum?  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miffy said:

Goal is to avoid Celebes/Sulu sea where there are more chances of piracy or Islamic militants

And not a lot of wind. One of the prettiest waters in the world...fuck ISIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miffy said:

I don't buy DF's Pascal injury replacement until he comes back for Cape Horn.

Agree fell on his sword or kicked. Last leg was 3 times unlucky in a row in his department. No matter how good you are sometimes things don't click....it would have been doing his head in and that is contagious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A Boy Named Stu said:

 

And now for something completely different: Grant Wharington explaining why he is doing keel mods with a chainsaw

JFC those first gen 70's  were falling apart every 5 minutes. Makes the 65's look like absolute tanks in comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ASP said:

JFC those first gen 70's  were falling apart every 5 minutes. Makes the 65's look like absolute tanks in comparison. 

In a good way or a bad way?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DFL1010 said:

In a good way or a bad way?

 

Yes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is what the America's Cup legend John Bertrand told us while sailing on #MAPFRE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had the honor of having an America's Cup legend on board @MAPFRE today: II skipper @johnbertrand, who won the Cup in 1983 breaking 132 years of American domination. It's been a real pleasure to meet you John!

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.03.15 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official tweets of Shirley Robertson OBE. First British woman to win consecutive Olympic Golds.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.07.26 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crew changes
Another other reason is that one change can cause others. They still need to tick the u30 box and leaving the females in port is no winning move. Then there are mandatory qualifications like two medics on board. After that other roles also have to be filled, putting all repair specialists on shore might be not so good.

 

I do like that MAPFRE is working with little (no?) additional support and crew changes. Even more so if they show good performance this leg.
Hard to tell what actually was done but some of the other support seems a bit much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

And not a lot of wind. One of the prettiest waters in the world...fuck ISIS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I rather meant it seems odd to me that they tucked it behind (westward) of San Vicente.

Edit, Ultimately is doesn't matter as the outside route is several miles shorter.  Just wondering about the mindset of placing that Wp.

It is on the most northern point of Luzon, seems reasonably logical to me. But, as you say, it really doesn’t matter where in Luzon it is placed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southerncross said:

This is a monster of a race. A monster. Don’t let anyone tell you of how tough it was in the old days, the introduction of the VO65 means these boats are being pushed very hard for sustained periods in 40-45 knots of breeze – way more than a Volvo 70 could handle,

 One of the better FP articles, and a comparison worth remembering..

I think the money allows most of the sailors to be out there, but they are not out there for the money, so respect deserved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

I do like that MAPFRE is working with little (no?) additional support and crew changes. Even more so if they show good performance this leg.

They are the class act so far - obvious - there is a beauty about them.

Contained might be a word which applies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southerncross said:

And this is what the America's Cup legend John Bertrand told us while sailing on #MAPFRE!

Did Bertrand get caught up in that Kiwi citizenship saga as well?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It is on the most northern point of Luzon, seems reasonably logical to me. But, as you say, it really doesn’t matter where in Luzon it is placed. 

Shy of the northern most point by just under two minutes. Wp: 18 37.388n  Northern most point: 18 39.190n.

Happy New Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cste005 said:

 

Great interview.  Straight talk.  Sounds like he might be in for another one.

A New Year now. Cheers all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, southerncross said:

Leg 4 Crew Lists:

Dongfeng Race Team (4 crew changes)

Skipper - Charles Caudrelier FRA
Navigator - Franck Cammas FRA / Pascal Bidegorry
Watch Captain - Daryl Wislang NZL
Watch Captain - Jérémie Beyou FRA/Stuart Bannatyne 
Crew/trimmer - Kevin Escoffier FRA
Crew/trimmer - Justine Mettraux SUI/Marie Riou
Crew/trimmer - Carolijn Brouwer NED
Crew/bowman - Jackson Bouttell AUS/GBR
Crew/bowman - Chen (Horace) Jinhao CHN/Xue Liu
OBR - Martin Keruzore FRA

Team AkzoNobel (3 Crew Changes)

Skipper - Simeon Tienpont NED
Navigator - Jules Salter GBR
Watch Captain - Chris Nicholson AUS
Crew - Peter van Niekerk NED/Justin Ferris
Crew - Brad Farrand NZL
Crew - Nicolai Sehested DEN
Crew - Cécile Laguette FRA/Alex Pella
Crew - Martine Grael BRA
Crew - Luke Molloy AUS/Emily Nagel
OBR - Sam Greenfield USA/James Blake

Team Brunel (4 Crew Changes)

Skipper - Bouwe Bekking NED
Navigator - Andrew Cape AUS
Bowman - Carlo Huisman NED
Helm-trimmer - Jens Dolmer DEN/Louis Balcean
Helm-trimmer - Kyle Langford AUS
Helm-trimmer - Sam Newton AUS/Alberto Bolzan
Helm-trimmer - Rome Kirby USA/Peter Burling
Helm-trimmer - Sally Barkow USA/Annie Lush
Helm-trimmer - Abby Ehler GBR
OBR - Yann Riou FRA/Ugoi Fonolla

Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag (1 Crew Change, 1 addition)

Skipper - David Witt AUS
Navigator - Libby Greenhalgh GBR
Watch Captain - Luke Parkinson AUS
Crew - Alex Gough AUS
Crew - Annemieka Bes NED
Crew - Benjamin Piggott AUS
Crew - John Fisher GBR
Crew - Grant Wharington AUS/Tom Clout
Crew - Trystan Seal GBR
OBR - Konrad Frost GBR

Turn the Tide on Plastic (3 Crew Changes)

Skipper - Dee Caffari GBR
Navigator - Brian Thompson GBR/Nico Lunven
Watch Captain - Martin Strömberg SWE
Watch Captain - Liz Wardley AUS
Crew - Elodie Mettraux SUI
Crew - Francesca Clapcich ITA
Crew - Annalise Murphy IRL/Lucas Chapman
Crew - Bernardo Freitas POR/Bianca Cook
Crew - Bleddyn Mon GBR
Crew - Frederico Melo POR
OBR - Brian Carlin IRL/Jeremie Lecaudey

Vestas 11th Hour Racing  (2 Crew Changes)
Skipper - Mark Towill USA
Navigator - Simon Fisher GBR
Crew - Roberto 'Chuny' Bermúdez de Castro Muñoz ESP
Crew - Phil Harmer AUS/Charles Enright (Skipper)
Crew - Nick Dana USA
Crew - Tom Johnson AUS
Crew - Tony Mutter AUS
Crew - Stacey Jackson AUS
Crew - Hannah Diamond GBR/Jena Hansen
OBR - Amory Ross USA/Sam Greenfield

MAPFRE (0 Crew Changes)

Skipper Xabi Fernández ESP
Navigator - Juan Vila ESP
Watch Captain - Pablo Arrarte ESP
Watch Captain - Rob Greenhalgh GBR
Crew - Louis Sinclair NZL
Crew - Blair Tuke NZL
Crew - Willy Altadill ESP
Crew - Sophie Ciszek AUS/USA
Crew - Tamara Echegoyen ESP
OBR - Ugo Fonolla ESP (Jen Edney USA)

Funny as hell in the Musto booth at Docklands this afternoon. Musto dude asking if anyone actually knew how to spell Wharro for the stencil on the back of his new Musto W/W gear for S/wag. With or without an H? I reckon it's with.

Sunfish migration patterns seem to be a little disturbed right now with widespread panic noted among those normally placid creatures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Post. Missed opportunity there should have told them Wharrington is his middie name & put forward an alternate name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly a few angry men in the construction game who would be interested to know he was in town?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, A Boy Named Stu said:

And now for something completely different: Grant Wharington explaining why he is doing keel mods with a chainsaw

If he had bothered to use a chainsaw and cut the arse off Wild Thing instead of just extending it, old transom intact to the extent of leaving the name and rego # on it, all sitting behind the new one, then maybe someone might not have twigged he did a DIY mod for his Wild Thing S2H entry refused at the 11th hour on account of no supporting design mod documentation. 

He and Witty are of the same ilk to an absolute tee. Witty takes the old keel/ram assembly from WOXI sitting collecting dust and wacks it into Scally 100. It shits itself on the S2S and second race outing I think, crew dragged off by SAR.

Maybe Witty is desperate for a like minded soul and character on board, who knows? Maybe one on board is good. Two I'm not sure about. 

I do know one thing however and that is, this is not a two handed race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Agree fell on his sword or kicked. Last leg was 3 times unlucky in a row in his department. No matter how good you are sometimes things don't click....it would have been doing his head in and that is contagious.

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to kick the new year off - nice one Jack,

Shame it so far off target it would be called a no ball in cricket.

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to kick the new year off - nice one Jack,

Shame it so far off target it would be called a no ball in cricket.

SS

Hooked you Shang, line and sinker....you sail but you don't fish :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a gutfull of these wankers so started a new thread not to clog the Leg frequency..all about Melbourne was a joke by any objective assessment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rogerfal said:

 

They are the class act so far - obvious - there is a beauty about them.

Contained might be a word which applies.

 

so would swiss watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I thought only hairdressers drank premix rum?  :-)

Jack 

You maybe right, so how do you like your hair cut ?

 

So is it a short, back and sides or are you going for the perm on your mullet this times ?

 

pulpit 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No presser,  but there’s this for now

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pulpit said:

 

So is it a short, back and sides or are you going for the perm on your mullet this times ?

 

 

 

 

I figure perming a mullet is just about one of the most hilarious things you can do with hair..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Last Post said:

Funny as hell in the Musto booth at Docklands this afternoon. Musto dude asking if anyone actually knew how to spell Wharro for the stencil on the back of his new Musto W/W gear for S/wag. With or without an H? I reckon it's with.

Sunfish migration patterns seem to be a little disturbed right now with widespread panic noted among those normally placid creatures.

Thanks to all you locals for the info. 

Was there a presser? Just trying to figure out whether I  need to turn up the squelch on the  VOR infomercial filter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hooked you Shang, line and sinker....you sail but you don't fish :-)

You are quite wrong Jack - I actually used to fish a lot. Gave it up though when I discovered there was a difference between fishing and catching :-)

Anyone want to buy some fishing rods, reels and lures never polluted by fish?

Happy New Year by the way

See you all in Hong Kong & Guangzhou

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Jack 

You maybe right, so how do you like your hair cut ?

So is it a short, back and sides or are you going for the perm on your mullet this times ?

pulpit 

Always right ... and your question, superfluous,  still looking for the prick who stole my hair.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Last Post said:

Possibly a few angry men in the construction game who would be interested to know he was in town?

Last Post,

 

Yes Wharro is is a colourful man with a colourful past and like a lot of business men has pushed it and upset a few people along the way. 

 

Have you ever been to Hamilton Island ? Keith William’s did the same thing on a bigger scale and he’s a hero to lots of people and he was a far bigger asshole. 

 

lets drop this crap in his past.

 

Wharro is a good sailor and has been asked to join a race again that most of us dream off doing and few will ever do.   Good Luck to him and I hope the scallywag crew can benefit from what Wharro brings to the team. After all this team is run by Aussie and is the  closest thing to a Australian team we have had since Wharro put together a Aussie team for the race.

 

lets put his crap aside and go team Scallywag 

 

pulpit 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southerncross said:

Great interview.  Straight talk.  Sounds like he might be in for another one.

A New Year now. Cheers all!

A new start indeed. OD, Libby, and keel discussion was interesting, and his point about experience gives some hope  this could be their best leg. 

Don’t  think local knowledge will be enough to overcome their inexperience with the VO65.  

Yep. Worth rewatching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Last Post,

 

Yes Wharro is is a colourful man with a colourful past and like a lot of business men has pushed it and upset a few people along the way. 

 

Have you ever been to Hamilton Island ? Keith William’s did the same thing on a bigger scale and he’s a hero to lots of people and he was a far bigger asshole. 

 

lets drop this crap in his past.

 

Wharro is a good sailor and has been asked to join a race again that most of us dream off doing and few will ever do.   Good Luck to him and I hope the scallywag crew can benefit from what Wharro brings to the team. After all this team is run by Aussie and is the  closest thing to a Australian team we have had since Wharro put together a Aussie team for the race.

 

lets put his crap aside and go team Scallywag 

 

pulpit 

 

Or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Have you ever been to Hamilton Island ? Keith William’s did the same thing on a bigger scale and he’s a hero to lots of people and he was a far bigger asshole. 

Name one who is not a relative?

43 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Good Luck to him and I hope the scallywag crew can benefit from what Wharro brings to the team. After all this team is run by Aussie and is the  closest thing to a Australian team we have had since Wharro put together a Aussie team for the race.

Warrington's VOR 2005 effort is one most in Australian sailing try and forget like a bad dream.  Arguably the biggest embarrassment to Australia on the world offshore racing stage ever perpetuated. Spent most of the race on a freighter as it fell apart before it started....the chainsaw gig on the bulb to pull weight was just one of many. 

Naming sponsor pulls the pin midway..need I go on. Replacement sponsor ING probably thought about hiring a hitman wondering where the money went.

After that catastofuck those chasing sponsorship for a offshore sailing program in Australia gave up and thought herpes was less contagious.

Yeah good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troels Christensen‏ @tc_thrane  4h4 hours ago

Fantastic to see so many of the world’s greatest female sailors @VolvoOceanRace ready at Race Start in Melbourne scheduled for Tuesday the 2nd of January 2pm local time (0300 UTC). Here’s the line-up:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.23.20 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sophie commenting on Mapfre team unity and "noticing the other teams have some major changes."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Sophie commenting on Mapfre team unity

That is a pleasant change from her saying I need to wear higher heels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Thompson Bio

Brian Thompson (born 5 March 1962) is a British yachtsman. Brian made it into the history books by becoming the first Briton to break the Round the World sailing record twice. Also the first to sail non stop around the world 4 times. A vastly experienced and successful offshore racer on all types of high performance yachts – from 21 foot Mini Transat racers to 140 foot Maxi Trimarans.

He started his career in the OSTAR in 1992 with his own yacht. He sailed a lot on multihulls with Steve Fosset with whom he set several records, mainly the around the world sailing record in 2004.

In 2005, he won the Oryx Quest, round the world crewed race, on Doha 2006, ex-Club Med. In 2006, he won the Volvo Ocean Race on ABN AMRO One as a crewmember of Mike Sanderson. The same year, he finished 6th in the Route du Rhum, in IMOCA class. He finished 5th of the Vendée Globe 2008-2009 on a 60 feet IMOCA class Bahrain Team Pindar (fr).

In 2012 he won the Jules Verne Trophy as helmsman and trimmer for Loïck Peyron, on the maxi-multihull Banque Populaire V.  He then became the first British sailor with four non-stop laps of the world.

Following the announcement in April that Brian had joined MGI in the role as sailing director, MGI announced on 15 May 2013 that Caterham Technology and Caterham Composites, part of the Caterham Group, have joined with MGI CEO Mike Gascoyne and MGI Sailing Director Brian Thompson to run a Class40 offshore racing campaign under the banner of "Caterham Challenge".

This two-year campaign follows on from Mike's successful 2012 solo transatlantic aboard a "Caterham Challenge" branded Class40. The Campaign objectives are to bring F1 standards of technology and logistics to off-shore racing, to encourage green, sustainable and reusable energy technologies in the marine, automotive and aerospace sectors and to utilize Caterham's extensive experience in F1, R&D, engineering, competitive sailing and sports marketing.

MGI built an Akilara RC3 Class40 and launched the racing boat in late August. Caterham Challenge was first on public display during the Southampton boat show 2013 followed by sailing and training in The Solent and the English Channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Thompson_(sailor)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Sophie commenting on Mapfre team unity and "noticing the other teams have some major changes."

Thanks. Noticed that Ñeti is ashore recuperating, and Sophie still triumphant.

Wish Ugo would send out a Raw wth Vila and Tuke discussing WOXI protest. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to play again?

1. MAPF. Hate to jinx ‘em, but oh well.

2. TBRUN. Because It’s time for Cape and Bouwe, and they don’t need Burling’s tactics as much this leg. 

3. DFRT. Cammas and Charles should be able to work together better than Iker and Mitch D, but practiced communications for the many transitions this unknown leg will be needed. Too many chances to make mistakes before they hit the trades

4-5. AKZO/  VS11. Comms should be worked out by now, but guessing not enough time and info  to best prep this leg 

6. TTOP. Because Dee and Liz can switch up and play Bligh rather than pampering the crew.

7. SHKS. Because redemption shouldn’t come easy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too tough to call this one?

Underestimated Mapfre in the last one.  No doubt a podium.  Dongfeng is gong to win one.  Which one?  It's becoming desperate on the scoreboard.

A navigators race.  Vila?  Camas?  Fisher?  Thompson?  Cape?  Salter?  Greenhalgh?

  1. Mapfre - leadership, skill, team cohesiveness, a prophet
  2. Dongfeng - positive changes that will need more than one Leg to fine tune
  3. Vestas - shouldn't underestimate Towhil's desire to prove himself (like Xabi did when taking over for Iker) SciFi over Cape
  4. Brunel - Improving but not yet.
  5. Akzo - Team came together in the last one.  (dark horse maybe 3rd or 4th). Salter has yet to transcend into the upper stratosphere.  
  6. Scallywag - Local knowledge.  Building team.  Witt will have a mate.
  7. TToP - Dee needs to give up the "teacher on a school bus tour" routine and bring out the Head Mistress and the old British cane.  
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Too tough to call this one?

Underestimated Mapfre in the last one.  No doubt a podium.  Dongfeng is gong to win one.  Which one?  It's becoming desperate on the scoreboard.

A navigators race.  Vila?  Camas?  Fisher?  Thompson?  Cape?  Salter?  Greenhalgh?

 

MAPFRE has manageable boat speed that doest't break the boat, wise calm navigator who puts the boat in position for the crew to work it. Skipper who is a model of calm professionalism and promotes the sponsors. 

I think Brian will do much to improve boat speed on TTOP. Yes he's a good navigator, but spend an afternoon with him on ANY boat, and he'll be able to find a knot for you by tweaking something on deck. 

 

We'll see if the title sponsored Volvo favored AK and DF do it this leg? Or will the pressure of sponsorship and underachieving get to them. 

Scallywag experiment continues. At least they have a full boat now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to kick the new year off - nice one Jack,

Shame it so far off target it would be called a no ball in cricket.

SS

Liaowei learning how to liu mianzi ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southerncross said:

Too tough to call this one?

Underestimated Mapfre in the last one.  No doubt a podium.  Dongfeng is gong to win one.  Which one?  It's becoming desperate on the scoreboard.

A navigators race.  Vila?  Camas?  Fisher?  Thompson?  Cape?  Salter?  Greenhalgh?

I'll play.

1. Mapfre

2. Dong Feng

3. Team Brunel

4. Akzo.

5. Scallywag :(

6. Plastic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a slightly faster start than yesterday.  Routing to Rodondo island, not accounting for all the fucking about in the bay! Euro mod.

 

Random Wp route.JPG

VOR screenshot.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hitchhiker said:

Looks like a slightly faster start than yesterday.  Routing to Rodondo island, not accounting for all the fucking about in the bay! Euro mod.

 

Random Wp route.JPG

VOR screenshot.jpg

Southwesterly? Prepare for port starboard incidents going up that narrow channel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I'll play.

1. Mapfre

2. Dong Feng

3. Team Brunel

4. Akzo.

5. Scallywag :(

6. Plastic.

VS11? C’mon—if I have to jinx MAPF, least you can do is the voodoo for the yanks :lol:

and thanks for the expedition views. Missed those last leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For couch 

Quote

Head to www.volvooceanrace.com at 2225 UTC (Jan 1)/09:25am local time on Jan 2 for interviews from the sailor's terrace and the dock-out parade and 0245 UTC/1:45pm local for the racing, to catch a live stream of the action.

You’re UTC -8, right? So, this  pm and evening. Just in time for happy hour. More details here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Southwesterly? Prepare for port starboard incidents going up that narrow channel. 

Coverage will probably cut out just before the first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Your Mom said:

Coverage will probably cut out just before the first one.

Live in hope!!

Gonna be another late night over here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Live in hope!!

Gonna be another late night over here....

Cammas tries to pin Xabi against a channel marker, misses and nails Witty instead. Witty throws cream back at him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stief said:

VS11? C’mon—if I have to jinx MAPF, least you can do is the voodoo for the yanks :lol:

and thanks for the expedition views. Missed those last leg.

Oops!

1. Map

2. Dong

3. Brunel

4. Vestas

5. Akzo

6. Scally

7. Plastic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Cammas tries to pin Xabi against a channel marker, misses and nails Witty instead. Witty throws cream back at him. 

Yep more port stbd controversy plus the obstruction rule 20 comes in to play as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, stief said:

For couch 

You’re UTC -8, right? So, this  pm and evening. Just in time for happy hour. More details here

Hey thanks  ,, Mrs Couch insists on playin John and Yoko all day... can't focus on what's important!   :mellow:    :(

...happy new year!       Hopefully she'll be worn out by evening.     :rolleyes:

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Great pic Couch ya crazy bastard!  Happy New Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less than 7 hours.  Anyone on/near the docks?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 8:28 AM, southerncross said:

True.  Injury.  Exhaustion, physical and mental.  Different skill sets ie Southern Ocean helming.

Offshore racing as a team sport is unique in this regard because the playing field changes constantly.  On the other hand, the less a team is fractured, the more each crew becomes in tune with each other, like a well-oiled machine.  The gybe, for example, might be a well reh