• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Francis, not sure that is true this time. There was one crew member watching Netflix on his.  Probably downloaded some films before he left.  Others were reading Xmas messages last time.

Think the SIM cards have to be removed. Will check the race docs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Think the SIM cards have to be removed. Will check the race docs.

We go over this every Leg.  From memory I thought they could Tweet.  I remember Liz or someone was on their phone last time receiving Xmas wishes.  Dee Tweets all the time from the boat and so does Nicolai Sehested, Cecile Laguette, Abby Ehler, SciFi, Kevin Escoffier etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

We go over this every Leg.  From memory I thought they could Tweet.  I remember Liz or someone was on their phone last time receiving Xmas wishes.  Dee Tweets all the time from the boat and so does Nicolai Sehested.

27.10 While Racing on a Leg:

(a) All Sat-phone communications on and off the boat are monitored by Race Control. Participants shall supply the name of the caller or person called and the purpose of a call if requested by Race Control.

(b) Only one team mobile phone with a SIM card inserted may be onboard after the Boat departs the dock on Leg start day, the mobile phone number shall be provided to race control.

(c) Prior to Racing the mobile phone shall be sealed in the plastic container provided by the OA and shall remain sealed while Racing. The seal shall be photographed applied over at least two of the cases latches and transmitted to race control within four hours of the Leg start.

(d) iPad’s, tablet PCs, mobile phones or similar devices capable of using SIM cards or similar shall have the SIM cards removed and the aperture will be sealed prior to the Boat leaving the dock by a member of the RC or an equipment inspector.

(e) When the communication is through an internal modem or similar the modem shall be permanently disabled.

• Like 5

You sure as hell won't be watching Netflix half way down a leg with a mobile data plan. 

Edit: to add. They tweet and FB from the boat - by sending the text out to be posted. They can't actually access twitter or FB.  

Edited by Francis Vaughan
Add stuff
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

The tweeting will be done using one of the laptops.

Judging by the Tweets it looks like they use the phone.  Whatever.  They also use Instagram.

3 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Sure devices without SIM cards via WIFI to boats comms system - makes sense.

Thanks for digging up the rules in play. There are also the new rules about encryption, but those only confirm what you already posted.

• Like 1

Don't know how accurate this is.  Have a difficult time replicating cloud activity Experts see. But there may still be some cloud activity looming ahead still.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 4.53.09 PM.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Sure devices without SIM cards via WIFI to boats comms system - makes sense.

Some boats have crew posting on social media more than others.  I wonder, does the use of the sat comms by the crew (via posting through the boats wifi) count against the boat's data?
Could a boat use up it's data?  Could Dee and Liz eat up all of TTOP's data, preventing them from getting weather data later in the leg?  

Probably not, but it would be funny.

3 minutes ago, glexpress said:

Some boats have crew posting on social media more than others.  I wonder, does the use of the sat comms by the crew (via posting through the boats wifi) count against the boat's data?
Could a boat use up it's data?  Could Dee and Liz eat up all of TTOP's data, preventing them from getting weather data later in the leg?  

Probably not, but it would be funny.

They have a limit but can pay for more IIRC - In the NOR I think or other race docs.

• Like 1

Latest from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic:

OMG! I think even I am over this now. I am normally a pretty positive person and would see a glass half full most of the time but even I am struggling right now.

For days now we have been fighting light winds and sometimes we have had some active cloud activity. Now we are really being put to the test of cloud activity, wind shifts, wind speed fluctuations, boats in sight, boats disappearing. Heading the right way, heading the wrong way. Wind being nothing like any grib file and never being from the expected direction.

Enough, we cry! But alas I foresee we have more of these rubbish conditions to come. Give us strength!

The good news from today was that we crossed the equator and returned to the northern hemisphere. As a right of passage it was Bernardo and Bleddyn to be Pollywogs and endure their initiation with Neptune. With crimes of being too  beautiful, it was extreme hair cuts that were the order for the day.

Now where is the wind and some clear skies please?

Dee and Team TTTOP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

Francis, not sure that is true this time. There was one crew member watching Netflix on his.  Probably downloaded some films before he left.  Others were reading Xmas messages last time.

If they want to use their own phones for media use then the VOR remove the sim and seal the phone prior to departure and then it is checked again on arrival. 

Apologies, slow Internet means this was covered completely before I posted. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Potter said:

If you think I protest too much, well that is your opinion.  I am just saying that people are reading too much into it, and giving you more information. I don;t have to, and I am rarely here to defend anything, you have your opinion and I have mine...mine just comes from a position of more information than yours, and so was willing to share that info.. 

Please keep sharing. It's very much appreciated, and (with a few exceptions) I think most of those following the discussion here know perfectly well whose comments are insightful and well-informed vs. who's just talking to hear themselves talk.

• Like 4

Really feel sorry for tttop, had an excellent leg but seem to have lost out in the doldrums lottery.

Would love to see them on the podium for a few legs. They do seem to be improving. 

4 minutes ago, jbc said:

Please keep sharing. It's very much appreciated, and (with a few exceptions) I think most of those following the discussion here know perfectly well whose comments are insightful and well-informed vs. who's just talking to hear themselves talk.

Totally agree. Avoid the idiots, I really appreciate your insights. 

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Clearly. I got the feeling he realised the implications of what he was saying as he said it. 

I just vented my spleen on the FB comments for the update.  Not that it will help. Maybe if a few more did so it might sink in.

They still have the option, do they not, of making the tracker live at "key moments" in the race, as they see fit?

Jesus, guys. What are you saving it for? So you can give us a live updating tracker as a parade of separated boats streams into Hong Kong? Light it up! There's something actually interesting happening.

(Disclaimer: I haven't had time to do much of anything in terms of following the race in realtime, and wouldn't even know if the tracker had been made live. I'm just doing my version of the "talking to hear myself talk" thing. Carry on.)

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

For what it's worth, I thought maybe the "Watching Netflix" comment was tongue-in-cheek, part of a scripted bit.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/5502.html

• Like 2

Just now, animeproblem said:

Definitely one of the more demoralizing "spapshots" I've seen, for the "middle 3" anyway. 

Right.  Because they know the others have the trades.

What a difference a day makes- or even 16 hours with a cloud.

From this, with similar north and only a little East-West separation:v22.jpg.ce535c030759b782b7d2253e06d09e53.jpg

to this, with some 80nm of north-south separation, in just 16 hours : v23.jpg.cedf1b7997090c29c4fedb3fcd84e590.jpg

And this sums it up: v25.jpg.4232d3b0b33120dd325eaf1a86b43c6c.jpg

• Like 4

The leg, as expected, is cruel :lol:

Brunel's door for winning GC is closed. We have a solid 3 boat race. Worst case  for MAPFRE they're battling to avoid last as Vestas/DF are in position to get 8 points. 

MAPFRE's best chance at minimizing damage is if Akzo takes it, and they recover to take 4th place? Point differential would be 2-3 for DF/Vestas. 

Sucker punch for the bottom three. Thought Scally and a to a lesser extent Brunel were out of it a day or so ago.

Wow!

Scally could cut the corner.  Good separation.  Does look to fill in nicely for them. I hope they can.  They've made a few attacks on the leaders never giving up.

2 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

You sure as hell won't be watching Netflix half way down a leg with a mobile data plan. 

Edit: to add. They tweet and FB from the boat - by sending the text out to be posted. They can't actually access twitter or FB.  

It's possible to download from Netflix to watch offline, I think ;) 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Game over.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 7.06.49 PM.png

Noooooo. Plenty of things can happen. But I would love to see Scallywag on the podium :)

Ouch !! That suck for Brunel, Mapf and the plastics. I am rooting for the skally's a bit now. I think we definitetly need to see a lot of podium mix up or it's going get very dull towards the end.

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Noooooo. Plenty of things can happen. But I would love to see Scallywag on the podium :)

Have to salute their audacity to have cut to the West. 

Pretty gutting for Dee and crew.  I thought they had an excellent chance to podium.  That cloud is particularly ruthless.  Hasn't let them go for two sheds.

As the battle to get out of the Doldrums in the western Pacific continues, Dongfeng Race Team meteorologist Marcel van Triest casts his eye over the final stages of an epic Leg 4 from Melbourne to Hong Kong. As it happens he likes Dongfeng’s position on the eastern/northern flank of the fleet. He also predicts that the last 200 miles of the leg will be “a bit sporty” in the freshening northeast monsoon.

So Marcel, are we almost out of the Doldrums at last?
Almost…the last position report suggests that Dongfeng and Vestas 11th Hour Racing finally have the wind from the other side…but anything could still bubble up. With the Doldrums, sometimes you have to compare it to a pot of boiling water and then try to predict where the next bubble is going to form. So, yes…almost out…

Dongfeng looks quite handily placed on the northern edge of the fleet no?
Yes. I think Dongfeng will be third on this evening’s position report and probably second overnight. But then I expect Vestas to overtake everyone except Team Sun Hung Kai Scallywag, but then she will get ahead of her as well.

So being on the northern edge looks set to pay?
We shall see, but yes that is the idea. The problem is that once you are the first one into the new breeze, you have a limited time window to get back some of the miles you have invested because, eventually, everyone gets the new breeze and you are also on the outside of the curve. So you have to put the indicators on and go left towards Hong Kong and you have to get back those miles against the boats that did a shorter route. In the end everyone will end up gybing again because it will become downwind and at some stage it will no longer be an advantage to be in the east.

So what is the key in strategy terms for Dongfeng over the next 24 hours?
It is very important for Dongfeng to no longer be east of anyone in 24 hours’ time. Now is the time to overtake everyone from their easterly and northerly position. It has to happen in the next 24-30 hours. So I am fairly optimistic. I think Vestas has the best position and will stretch away a little bit, but it is not a complete disaster and there are still plenty of miles to go.

So they will be on a broad reach in the trade wind at last?
Yes it will be a reach at first which will be good if you are the northerly boat because you can try to sail a little bit lower and try to sail over the top of the other guys. But somewhere, about halfway between where they are and when they reach the northern tip of the Philippines, the breeze will become full-on downwind.

WHAT SORT OF WINDSPEEDS WILL THEY SEE IN THE TRADES?
WELL, THE PRESSURE WILL BE INCREASING AND WINDS WILL BE 15-20 KNOTS, BECOMING 20-25. THEN IT WILL GO A BIT LIGHTER AS THEY APPROACH THE PHILIPPINES WHEN IT WILL DROP BACK TO THE MID-TO-HIGH TEENS. THEN IT LOOKS LIKE THE NORTHEAST MONSOON WILL BE BACK AT FULL FORCE FOR THE LAST LITTLE STRETCH TO HONG KONG AFTER TAIWAN. IT’S BLOWING REALLY HARD THERE NOW BUT THAT IS GOING TO ABATE OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. THEN IT BUILDS AGAIN AS THE BOATS START TO APPROACH THE ASIAN MAINLAND.

https://www.dongfengraceteam.cn/news/view/marcel-van-triest-dongfeng-is-looking-good-on-the-northerly-flank

• Like 2

Ketchup sucks. Well, that looks bad for MAPF, TTOP and TBRU,  even with 2900 nm+  to go.

Looking forward to  . . .  something. Philippines? Finish? How much the deficit can be reduced?  :) 

Oh well. Will be a good scramble for the podium.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Have to salute their audacity to have cut to the West. 

I don't know if they planned that, or if they just went with whatever wind they had. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

The usually very active Mapfre social media machine has gone silent.

I don't pay attention to what time they post, it could just be that it's nighttime in Spain.

Leading four seem to be in the Trades from TWD.

Their lead should build from here, though Scally needs to get 150 nm North, without losing too much speed, which will be a trick indeed, unless the wind veers. 

Approximately 6 days to go, that comes down to less than a 1/2 knot of boat speed needed to catch up the ~70 miles for Mapfre. They've certainly demonstrated that differential in the past. 

13 minutes ago, glexpress said:

I don't pay attention to what time they post, it could just be that it's nighttime in Spain.

10pm on a Friday right now, so just about dinner time in Spain.

1 minute ago, Roleur said:

10pm on a Friday right now, so just about dinner time in Spain.

And everyone has a glass or two of wine, pretty sure work isn't getting done :D

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 12

The team have been at the top of the position report for the past few and hope the breeze fills in and they can stay ahead on board Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag.

Photo by Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race. 12 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.22.16 PM.png

Lots of miles to go and Mapfre has demonstrated Tier 1 speed.  Once everyone is in equal conditions, you can bet they'll be gaining on everyone except maybe Dong.  Whether or not enough race track will remain is questionable, but their absence from the podium is far from decided.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Whether or not enough race track will remain is questionable

Normally true.  Hopefully true.  It's an ugly way to lose a race.  They gained 40 + miles in this Leg but the leaders were going into the doldrums.

Tactically, are there any openings?  Boat for boat they can pace Dongfeng.  But I think Vestas and Akzo may be able to keep pace now too.  We'll see how they fair in the heavier air.

Maybe there's still a cloud or two left ahead.  

24 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Scally appear to have done a buffalo around Mapfre, the plastics and Brunel.. you were saying?

Didn't expect that clag job ...they will still run Scally down providing their up and going by midday.

Wow. I know he could still hit a wall, but I think Witty might have willed himself into 4th.

There's often a transition between the Kuroshio current southeast of Taiwan - we could see some boats struggle w/ sea state if they decide to take the Bashi channel. With the way these boats have been staying together in packs, I think the next and last divergence will be some boats may elect to go Ballingtang.

Stay tuned for next week I suppose.

I pull so hard for V11 and it feels like being a Mets baseball fan...  So darn good looking at times, so close...

Looks like they had to go low compared to Donger and Akzo and now those two are off to the races.  Hope they can catch a break, or find a new gear that they haven't shown yet and out pace them to HK.

Go the Vestas.

• Like 2

It is so hard to keep to your game plan when everything turns to shit, but hats to DFRT. They stuck to the NE and now its paying. Being way N of Vestas is a big plus too. Donger now is in a very strong position, which should just get better (unless that killer cloud comes along... again).

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Lots of miles to go and Mapfre has demonstrated Tier 1 speed.  Once everyone is in equal conditions, you can bet they'll be gaining on everyone except maybe Dong.  Whether or not enough race track will remain is questionable, but their absence from the podium is far from decided.

Does 1st get 7 points and last get 1 point on this leg?

So if Dong comes first and Mapfre last, they are tied on points with Mapfre leading on the tie break (inshore)?

Interesting scoring system.

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 13 on board Brunel .

Doldrums, still...

Photo by Yann Riou/Volvo Ocean Race. 13 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.50.18 PM.png

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

... I think the next and last divergence will be some boats may elect to go Ballingtang.

Miff running that channel and not the Bashi, wouldn't they run the risk of NE airflow being screwed up by the Bantanes?

Good to be sailing in more stable wind again. Probably not out of the woods yet though! Still plenty of cloud action around... SiFi.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Miff running that channel and not the Bashi, wouldn't they run the risk of NE airflow being screwed up by the Bantanes?

Perhaps but those islands aren't particularly high in elevation or wide when seen from NE monsoons. 

For me, I've never taken the northern channel because that current turning north at the wrong place and NE monsoon will... break ships. Talking about steel ships. 

Taiwanese east coast is beautiful but we've always left the boat in Kaoshiung and travel the coast because the waves will ruin your day. 

If you were sailing conservatively you go south. If you're trying to go fast and willing to risk it? North. 

50 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Winner of leg gets 1 additional point. So 7+1  

So if Mapfre doesn't catch up Scaly, they end up just a point ahead of Vestas or DF as long as Akzo doesn't win. 

Aye. That current and the weather pattern actually more or less directly contributed to a series of unfortunate events starting with Okinawan being ship wrecked on the south of Taiwan, being killed by Aboriginees not under Han control, military confrontation and diplomatic issues and later leading to Taiwan being ceded to Japan in the late 1800s by the Qing dynasty. Which then was ceded back to China under nationalists, became a last island fortress and here we are with PRC on one side and ROC w. complicated identity on the other. 

Welp. 

• Like 1

I was looking at a Vestas photo and notice during what appears to be a light wind situation with navigator and skipper relaxed on the bow, they have what appears to be their largest headsail roller reefed.  Why would that be?

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 12.48.44 PM.png

In the very light it can help.

Something like too much mass and area flapping around disturbing what little flow there is..... kind of asking too much of the air to stay attached.

Light wind power the sails up but when it gets really light flatten them.

Plus possibly to stop the sail backing onto the spreaders causing wear / damage.

(be their largest headsail roller reefed) -MH0 I guess..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks and ouch with that. Will be hopefully heading to Japan next year so might give that channel a wide berth.

In the Opti?

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Has the bleeding stopped?

Looks like it for now.

Somebody asked about the navigator who was posting last time around.

It was Cameron Field - Kiwi of some repute as I imagine you know, living in England last I knew - maybe near Lymington.

Wonder if he is looking - am sure he'd have a worthwhile view.

1 hour ago, rogerfal said:

Thanks - I should do some reading - don't know shit about all that..

The Bantanes islands in question were first European discovered and named by your bloke William Dampier in 1687 with a few Dutch mates. However as they were on a combined mission of discovery and  more so a bit of plundering, didn't bother hoisting the Brit flag. The Spainish subsequently did and they became part of PI. 

• Like 1

Cannot comment. I live in a "shithole" country where President's Day is an embarrassment. Thank god MLK Day is just around the corner. At least there was someone here we can be proud of. That being said... Go Dong!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Varan said:

Cannot comment. I live in a "shithole" country where President's Day is an embarrassment. Thank god MLK Day is just around the corner. At least there was someone here we can be proud of. That being said... Go Dong!

Stormy Daniels?